BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-10-28 8:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Denton
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED

What is happening? I have been gone for quite a while now and just wanted to check in with you guys. I have been busy with work, training and life.

I finished my first HIM yesterday. 70.3 in Austin ... 

It didn't go at all they way I had planned it but I was told the day before the race that nothing ever works out as planned :-)

I had 4 flats on the bike and somehow still had the mental attitude to finish the race. I believe I have experience the best of the Triathlon community yesterday. 

I have my full race result posted on www.determinedgerman.com

Just a quick review of my bike ... its really the most interesting out of all 3 sports ... lol

I covered 18 miles of the bike course and had a double flat. I only had one spare tube with me. Another athlete gave me one of his spares. Awesome!

45 Miles - Another flat on my rear wheel. Support vehicle found me after walking 15 minutes and fixed that flat. 

52 Miles - I wanted to give up and try again at another race after my front wheel flatted again. Another awesome athlete threw me his spare so that I could finish the ride. 

All I can say is that without these amazing athletes I wouldn't have been able to finish my race. Even though I finished 1.5 hours slower than intended ... I was able to finish the race. 

Hope you all are well!

FYI, I wouldn't recommend Austin for a race. Bad road conditions!

Edited by d3term1ned 2013-10-28 8:21 PM

2013-10-28 8:54 PM
in reply to: d3term1ned

User image

Master
South Alabama

Michael-wow what a tough day. Way to stick with it and finish. Can't beat the perseverance you showed by finishing.

2013-10-29 6:56 PM
in reply to: d3term1ned

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Michael,

Four flats in one race. That has to be some kind of record.

I would have thought that the gods were telling me to go home at that point so I am really impressed at you pushing through to finish.

This is going to be a very light week of training. I started back about two weeks after Tahoe and initially felt fine but for the last ten days or so I have been feeling incredibly fatigued during every bike and run. The swim is still going OK but as soon as I stress my legs my quads start protesting. I think all of the climbing in Tahoe took more out of me than I realized. It doesn't make that much sense to push through fatigue at this point in the season. I am at least five months away from any meaningful racing so I am just going to take it easy.

Of course, my OCD makes that hard..... It didn't help last night when my 10 year old said to me, "Dad, you are getting fat."

2013-10-29 8:05 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Michael...that was SOME bike!!!! I can't even imagine the mental fortitude you had to keep pushing to finish. Bravo to you!

I was recently invited to participate in an informal half marathon training group that will culminate in the spring half marathon I'm signed up for. It is being hosted by a local running coach and retired physician who simply wants to 'spread his love for running' to others...and he wants to do it for free!

Anyhow, here are his thoughts on our program:

"The group is still in the formation stage, but the goal of this group is to prepare the runner for the Augusta Half Marathon in the early spring. The stages of this training will be building endurance, building speed, sharpening, and taper. There are several intermediate steps that we will do, but those are details that we will deal with as we progress. There is NO charge to participate in this group, EXCEPT that you must always bring an optimistic attitude, always spend time encouraging others in the group, and develop the belief that you can run your best ever half marathon after this training program. "

There's 7 or 8 women from the Tri club who are also participating, and I love the idea of accountability and the expertise with regards to helping to improve my speed safely. Bill's a great guy and really knows his stuff. I'm excited.

Alas, our first meeting is this Thursday at 4:15, and my principal just announced a 2:45-3:30 faculty meeting for Thursday. 2:45-3:30 for my principal (who LOVES to hear himself talk--though I think he's an incredible administrator...he just talks...A LOT!) really means we'll get out of there closer to 4:00. I'll start with the group on Saturday.
2013-10-29 9:53 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
Stuart, hope everything went smoothly and recovery is quick and comfortable!

Great racing, guys! Man, I've got some super fast mentors.

Still training for the Oly next month that's doubling as a family vacation. We're all looking forward to that. I'm enjoying having a bike trainer at home. Having to referee kid fights while I'm on it adds to the mental toughness training, for sure.

100K bike race 12/6. Looking forward to that because I'm actually liking cycling all by itself now. I'm kind of getting it.
2013-10-30 10:52 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Michael nice job finishing the race, I'm not sure I would have had the right frame of mind to finish after that. On another note I have been trying to convince myself that the amount of swimming in plan is enough and to realize that I'm coming off of an injury and not to push it to hard.

2013-10-31 6:48 AM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning everyone. Happy Halloween. Last day of the month. How is everyone doing? Good October?

2013-10-31 9:46 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
October was a much improved month compared to the previous couple. Having a bike trainer in the house has helped quite a bit.

Hoping for a rockin' November. With my son starting middle school soccer, concentrating on the bike next month, then running in December will be good. I'll def keep it mixed up on the weekends with the Saturday Swim/Bike sessions I've set up with friends, but it'd be tough to get a huge focus on all three. After December, it's Xterra Guam 2014 training time!
2013-10-31 10:27 PM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Expert

Hi all, IM Arizona coming up. I've been quite busy lately with my son's college rugby, trips to San Diego, and now working at a hospital an hour away. I'm very pleased with my swim volume for last month. I have finally decided to have an Ablation for my Afib in December. It is parosysmal, meaning it comes and goes when it wants but I am getting a good sense of the triggers. Fortunately, I have learned to keep up s/b/r while in a fib, I just have to watch the higher zones a bit. It is a big time nuisance at times. I'm a little nervous as I know people on ST who have had to have it done more than once. That would really suck.

Swim: 19h 21m 14s - 54100 Yd
Bike: 24h 02m 26s - 463.78 Mi
Run: 16h 59m 40s - 116.98 M
2013-11-01 5:49 AM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

October was a good transition back into off season.  I'm hitting TRX three times a week to regain some of the core strength I lost while late in IM training and while sitting on my rear in Africa, finished the HIITS testing for cycling and started to refocus attitude and energy into swim improvement (YET AGAIN!).  It was a good, happy month for me.

Who's racing this weekend?

2013-11-01 7:04 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
This week of very low workload has worked wonders. I am feeling so much better. Maybe there is some wisdom in not always pushing through. Hopefully the rest will leave me ready to get back to work, although I think that next week will be another pretty light one. I did have a very nice treadmill run last night which left me feeling very good. I was starting to worry that I am losing run fitness (and I am a little bit--but it will come back) but I was able to run pretty comfortably at 7:00 pace which is good.

Coach wants me to pick out a couple 5/10Ks to run to get a gauge on my fitness. Should be fun. I might be able to fit one in next weekend.

Well, once I let my 100 miles/month running streak die it is a lot easier to not worry about running so much. I am not sure I am happy about that......

Swim: 10h 03m - 32700 Yd
Bike: 13h 26m - 264 Mi
Run: 12h 27m 26s - 94.68 Mi

Lastly, someone offered me a ticket to sit in their personal box for the Michigan-Michigan State game this weekend. Normally I don't love going to games all that much (pretty much a whole day away from family) but it was hard to turn that ticket down :) It should be a good game.

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-11-01 7:07 AM

2013-11-01 7:10 AM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by jimmyb

Swim: 19h 21m 14s - 54100 Yd
Bike: 24h 02m 26s - 463.78 Mi
Run: 16h 59m 40s - 116.98 M

Jim,

Really nice volume. It looks good across all three disciplines.

The afib ablation thing is scary but I am sure I would be pursuing the same route. I was talking to one of our cardiologists this week about afib in endurance athletes. He told me that endurance athletes are 5 x more likely to develop afib in their lives! Not happy to hear that statistic.
2013-11-01 8:31 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey folks!

Jimmy-nice month. All this afib stuff is scary. Glad you are getting it addressed.

Wife and I drove to Gainesville, FL yesterday to watch our son run in the SEC XC Championships this morning. Not quite the time he was hoping for but he was 5th finisher for Bama. Winnning time was an SEC record for an Arkansas runner at 22:58 for 8k.....thats right at 5 miles folks....holy cow! He won by 45 seconds and the SEC is loaded with quality runners.

We decided to make a mini vacation of the trip and are spending tonight and tomorrow night in the Seaside area on the Gulf in Florida. Run in the morning then some cruiser bike riding, eating, drinking and enjoying ourselves.

My month was...approx:

Swim 35,500 yards

Bike 345 miles

Run 100.5 miles 

Have fun everyone!

2013-11-01 8:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by slornow

Hey folks!

Jimmy-nice month. All this afib stuff is scary. Glad you are getting it addressed.

Wife and I drove to Gainesville, FL yesterday to watch our son run in the SEC XC Championships this morning. Not quite the time he was hoping for but he was 5th finisher for Bama. Winnning time was an SEC record for an Arkansas runner at 22:58 for 8k.....thats right at 5 miles folks....holy cow! He won by 45 seconds and the SEC is loaded with quality runners.

We decided to make a mini vacation of the trip and are spending tonight and tomorrow night in the Seaside area on the Gulf in Florida. Run in the morning then some cruiser bike riding, eating, drinking and enjoying ourselves.

My month was...approx:

Swim 35,500 yards

Bike 345 miles

Run 100.5 miles 

Have fun everyone!

22:58...that's one of those things that I would say was just impossible, if I didn't know that it really happened. Seriously, that's mind-boggling.
Here are my totals for October:

SWIM2h 38m 35s - 7843.84 M
BIKE9h 23m 24s - 163.60 Mi
RUN13h 40m 10s - 94.69 Mi

It was definitely a weird month, with races and tapering and whatnot. Overall, though, I'm happy to have ended my season with two of my best races ever. Also, I finally got back in the pool this evening...and loved it! It felt like forever since I just went a did a quick swim workout, and I felt great. I kept it relatively short, but I really enjoyed it. My run workouts have had so much intensity lately that they're a lot less relaxing than they used to be; swimming was nice and calm. I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend! It looks like the IMFL folks might have some interesting swim conditions; I saw a couple people online say it was a red flag day.
2013-11-01 9:09 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

We are about 30 minures west of the IMFL site. Really windy and rough at the Gulf today. Red flags with only a few surfers out. Tomorrow looks better and Sunday even better. I'll give you an update on the weather tomorrow as I can see the Gulf from our balcony.  

Looking at my training for 2013 I have already passed my swim/yards and bike/miles from 2012. I must have been a slacker in 2012!  

Edited by slornow 2013-11-01 9:13 PM
2013-11-02 10:14 AM

User image

My month of October feels like I embraced my inner sloth. I ran 3 days/week, rode my bike twice, and walked the dogs a LOT.

This may seem silly to a lot of you. My husband and I don't have kids, but we have three dogs that are like family to us. My oldest boy, T.C. (who is right around 14, we think), was diagnosed with Cushing's disease two years ago. He's been doing well with the treatment plan he's been on, but I'm really starting to see the signs of old age compiled with the effects of Cushing's hit him lately. He is one happy chappy, but he's fallen down many times in the last month, mainly because of muscle wasting along his hind end. There will be a day, probably not too far off in the future, where he simply won't be able to get up on his own or he'll fall and injure himself or the other issue caused by Cushing's and old age with create further medical problems. I've already started to write on my calendar 'good days' versus 'bad days.' Fortunately, the good days outweigh the bad ones by a tremendous deal, but once that trend begins to reverse, I'll have a heartbreaking decision to make.

He's been getting most of our attention this month. Lots of belly rubs, lots of easy walks, lots of treats, lots of time. It's been nice to have the downtime to give it to him.

I've also embraced cooking a lot more. My husband and I order out and eat out WAY too much. It's not good for our budget or waistline. So, I'm actually planning a week's worth of meals to cook and I'm heading to the grocery in a few. I don't mind cooking...I despise cleaning after. Maybe that part could be my husband's job.

I did order (from Western Cycling who is having a great fall sale), a convertible cycling jacket as well as knee warmers and arm warmers for the 'winter' cycling season. I'm going to get more consistent with workouts this week (sloth mode off) and keeping my 'cycling butt' primed for longer rides in the spring is important!

I have 10 friends racing IMFL today...so keeping up with them seems to be keeping me from grading those essays I collected earlier this week.

2013-11-02 2:24 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nancy-love your post about the pooch. They become such a big part of our lives. Nice to spend some quality time at this point with T.C.  We are empty nesters now and I've had the itch to get a dog. We have not had one for several years 

Beautiful day on the Gulf. Folks at IMFL are lucky the race is today as compared to yesterday. Clear skies with temps in the upper 70s. North/northwest wind. Gulf calmed down alot over night so mostly just some rollers this morning. Hope they remembered the sunscreen though!

Long run for me early then we rented cruiser bikes and rode down to Seaside o wander around and have some lunch....with a couple of beers. About 8 mile ride back to where we are staying. After lunch/drinks I was more ready for a nap than biking. Of course we had a headwind as well. I'm whipped but it has been a fun day! 

2013-11-02 8:52 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Nancy,

My wife and I are dog people so I can totally relate. They are definitely part of the family. Saying goodbye is one of the hardest things you can ever do so I hope you have a long while before that happens.

I still get a little misty thinking about Daniel, who left me two years ago.
2013-11-03 6:15 AM

User image

All of my IMFL friends are starting to wake up so they can head to the merchandise tent this morning. Tri friend Devon posted this picture of yesterday's swim start. That's a little scary to me. In fact, that's a LOT scary to me.

Edited by glfprncs 2013-11-03 6:17 AM

(IM Florida swim.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IM Florida swim.jpg (30KB - 8 downloads)
2013-11-03 3:15 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by glfprncs All of my IMFL friends are starting to wake up so they can head to the merchandise tent this morning. Tri friend Devon posted this picture of yesterday's swim start. That's a little scary to me. In fact, that's a LOT scary to me.

Ditto!

2013-11-03 3:48 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Not my kind of swim either. Often at the Gulf there will be some breaking waves at the shore but then just rollers beyond. Still not fun but not as hard to deal with. I don't think they could have done the swim at IMFL on Friday. When we went through Friday afternoon there were lots of big waves and whitecaps with a good chop beyond the shore break. Red flags up Friday. Yellow yesterday.

If anyone is looking for a set of race wheels or looking to start training with power I am selling a set of Williams Carbon Clincher 58s with PT Pro+ rear hub. I bought them in Spring 2010 and used them as my race wheels for 2 years. So, race miles and a few rides before each race. Had rear bearings replaced last year. I have not used them in over a year and they are in really good shape. I have the Little Yellow Computer that the wheel transmits to wirelessly. Also works with any other Ant+ compatible Garmin type of device.  If anyone is interested let me know....thought I would post here before putting on BT classifieds and Slowtwitch. Looking for $675 for set. Really soild wheel that would easily hold up to everyday use.      

2013-11-03 6:59 PM
in reply to: #4724546

User image

I heard from my friend, Julie, today who raced IMFL yesterday. She said she considered not starting, but her husband convinced her to give the swim a go. She said she had the shit kicked out of her in the first lap, but once you got past the breakers, it calmed down considerably (just big rollers). She said there were quite a few people who weren't strong enough to get past that initial surge of the surf, so their IM dream ended a mere 100 yards from swim start.

I can honestly say that I would not be able to handle that kind of swim. With my motion sickness, I'd be sick as a dog.
2013-11-04 6:36 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
It would scare me a little going out in to those waves but the safety net/buoyancy of the wetsuit would give me the confidence to wade in and get started.

'You" would need to remind yourself that playing in the waves is fun and that everyone else has to do it too and then just go at it.

At least that is how I think I would convince myself to get out there and attack the swim. Make a game out of it or something.....
2013-11-04 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Wow that IMFL start looks like fun to me! Did a lot of fighting through the wave to get out beyond the breakers as a kid. Maybe the one place the wetsuit is not your friend. Much easier to go under than over.

I just wanted to check in and let everyone know the surgery went fine last week, In on Tuesday to replace the hip. Out on Friday to begin the final road back. After a few minor issues I have all the meds dumped except one pain pill in the evening to sleep. Everything else is vitamins and an occasional aspirin. The staples come out next week and I should be off crutches before the end of the year.

Next year I just need to regain my progress from last year with a few small gains then see if IMAZ is still an option for 2015. My wife and doctor are on board so I guess the rest is up to me.

Thanks again for all the kind thoughts. Be Well.

2013-11-04 1:36 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

This may seem silly to a lot of you. My husband and I don't have kids, but we have three dogs that are like family to us. My oldest boy, T.C. (who is right around 14, we think), was diagnosed with Cushing's disease two years ago. He's been doing well with the treatment plan he's been on, but I'm really starting to see the signs of old age compiled with the effects of Cushing's hit him lately. He is one happy chappy, but he's fallen down many times in the last month, mainly because of muscle wasting along his hind end. There will be a day, probably not too far off in the future, where he simply won't be able to get up on his own or he'll fall and injure himself or the other issue caused by Cushing's and old age with create further medical problems. I've already started to write on my calendar 'good days' versus 'bad days.' Fortunately, the good days outweigh the bad ones by a tremendous deal, but once that trend begins to reverse, I'll have a heartbreaking decision to make.

Hopefully he'll continue to have good days

We lost our girl to osteosarcoma this past March - awful.

In other news, one of our local coaches came back from IMFL and said the swim start was "downright dangerous." Yeah, I'm out for that one. Scary stuff.

Have a good Monday!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88