2011-12-02 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3923805

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
dangremond - 2011-12-02 1:24 PM

Chris:

I'm planning to formally start the Jorge cycling plan on Monday beginning with the 2 week prep period - if you plan on doing as well we can commiserate with one another...you will really learn to love the pain.  Anyone else care to join in the fun?

-Mitch

Thanks for the offer Mitch. I'm waiting on my new computrainer to arrive sometime next week and my focus will be long course and some threshold stuff. I bought three cool DVDs to come with it, Kona, Mt Tremblant and threshold intervals. I'm going to set up a little area in the garage for the purpose.

2011-12-02 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3923887

User image

Master
ernestov - 2011-12-02 2:20 PM
dangremond - 2011-12-02 1:24 PM

Chris:

I'm planning to formally start the Jorge cycling plan on Monday beginning with the 2 week prep period - if you plan on doing as well we can commiserate with one another...you will really learn to love the pain.  Anyone else care to join in the fun?

-Mitch

Thanks for the offer Mitch. I'm waiting on my new computrainer to arrive sometime next week and my focus will be long course and some threshold stuff. I bought three cool DVDs to come with it, Kona, Mt Tremblant and threshold intervals. I'm going to set up a little area in the garage for the purpose.

Ah - new training gear! Fun!  I have my pain cave set up in my basement.  Getting TV set up this weekend.

2011-12-02 4:16 PM
in reply to: #3923941

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

What is the plan you are using.  Scott and I have our bike set in the basement as well.  We have a TV with the spinervals DVD's.  I finally was able to take the wrap off my feet and looking into new shoes tomorrow.  

Jen

2011-12-02 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

In addition to the attempt of training I am also facilitating my husbands attempt to adopt the children.  It is not an easy processes and has already proven to be an issue.l

2011-12-02 11:24 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

I changed my mind on White Rock.  I can't get motivated to drive 3 1/2 hours one way and pay $110 to run in the rain and 40 degree weather.

So, I'm going to drive 20 min one way to run the Decker Challenge Half Marathon course tomorrow for free, possibly in the 60 degree rain.  I've heard it's a tough course.  Depending on how it goes, I may run the real half next weekend. 

Good luck Ernesto and Carol.  I'll miss you guys!

2011-12-03 6:32 AM
in reply to: #3924435

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Jackie,

I agree about the 3 1/2 hour drive and the $110 for a half marathon (yikes!), but 40 degrees and rain sounds about perfect weather for a race. (I'm serious). Hard rain, no, but light steady rain, yes. But I guess it being Texas it would be hard rain with Volkswagen sized raindrops. Everything is bigger in Texas.

Good luck Ernesto and Carol (even if you won't read this until after you finish).

And finally, big congrats to Gabe for kicking all our butts. Like I wrote earlier. It was like one of those marathons where there is a group in front, and then one guy just decided to finish it by breaking out of the pack a few miles before the end and running at a speed where the others can't keep up. Pretty impressive numbers.

2011-12-03 6:50 AM

User image

Master
Dallas
The race is Sunday, today I'm riding a short and easy route. Like Chris says, rain is ok unless it's pouring. The forecast says light rain, which might even turn into no rain whatsoever. It might slow you down a bit because of the lost grip of the shoes, that's all.
2011-12-03 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Good luck to all our racers this weekend!  Make us all proud!
2011-12-03 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3924101

User image

Master
jenputnam - 2011-12-02 4:16 PM

What is the plan you are using.  Scott and I have our bike set in the basement as well.  We have a TV with the spinervals DVD's.  I finally was able to take the wrap off my feet and looking into new shoes tomorrow.  

Jen

Jen:

It's the Winter Cyclung With Power in the "Programs" section of BT.com.  

Program Description: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2332

1st Two Weeks Detail: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-first-week.asp?printer=1&planid=10919

A member created spreadsheet is attached with contains all the workouts and more.  It seems like a lot but I am able/willing to break it down for anyone.

Attachments
----------------
BT Complete Trainer Power Testing V4 - 2011-R0(share).zip (66KB - 15 downloads)
2011-12-03 12:24 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Hey Jackie, I don't blame you at all, and have fun running the decker course!  Ernesto, good luck tomorrow.  Just back from the expo and resisted the urge to buy anything resembling a rain jacket.  I'm sure we will warm up quickly from the inside out.  To all in this group, your consistency is inspiring.  I'm impressed! 
2011-12-03 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Chris and friends, thanks for your comments regarding the challenge, at the end I think we all won and not only wast it a lot of fun, but it got our BT thread going again!  

I just got back from my long bike ride today and hate it when my Garmin 305 goes dead at the beginning of a workout because it stayed powered on all night (Mitch, its time for a 910XT if they decide to release it ever)

Ernesto, Jackie and Carol, good luck in your races tomorrow morning and look forward to your reports!

Have a good weekend everyone!

2011-12-03 2:30 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

Hola amigos and amigas! Finally in Bogota. Crazy flight, just too long and tiresome. Running a marathon would be much, much easier. I don't know about IM... On this subject: while boarding a plane in Houston to Bogota I saw a guy wearing an M-dot jacket, so naturally started talking and turned out he just finished IM Cozumel and was returning to Bogota. We exchanged phone numbers and he invited me to do some group rides in the mountains, swim in the pool and some runs with the tri club in Bogota.  Bike rental etc was not a problem. It felt really good to be a part of this worldwide IM family.

Did first run in the park this morning. Actually didn't feel tooo bad, although I had to walk few times, but at 8000' this is better than running yourself into total exhaustion. I miss oxygen...

Better get home now, the storm and thunder is getting heavier and I will get drenched running from this internet cafe home. Hopefully I don't get lost... all streets look the same to me here. And scary, it's Saturday, lots of crazy people out.

Ciao!

Edited by markz 2011-12-03 2:33 PM
2011-12-03 7:54 PM

User image

Regular
Colorado Springs

I got hosed by work   yesterday so no workout for Friday but I braved the 7 deg F wind chill today for a 4.11 mile run in 31:33.  Probably not the best decision on my part since even my ski gloves couldn't keep my hands warm.  Tomorrow's high temp is supposed to be 25, so we might have to drive to the gym to use the dreadmill.  On a positive note, Jennie got a new pair of running shoes today so we'll see how they work tomorrow.

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow!

Edited by scottputnam 2011-12-03 7:55 PM
2011-12-04 12:13 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

Well, the race sucked big time. It started POURING rain at mile 3 (It had rained all night so the roads were slippery already). It stopped raining at mile 10 but it started again at mile 12.

My shoes had no grip to the cobbles on McKinney, I almost fell too and at points it felt like ice skating. Frozen toes after stepping on puddles, soaking wet and in a hurt locker, I pushed up towards the M streets section trying to salvage the race, but it turned useless and a bad idea. After mile 9 when it turns downhill I was SPENT, tired and in a bad mood. Just cruised until the finish line making this one my slowest (run only) half marathon ever. This includes my first one.

Well, I haven't had a bad race in a while. One was due to happen sooner or later...

2011-12-04 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3925488

User image

Master
ernestov - 2011-12-04 12:13 PM

Well, the race sucked big time. It started POURING rain at mile 3 (It had rained all night so the roads were slippery already). It stopped raining at mile 10 but it started again at mile 12.

My shoes had no grip to the cobbles on McKinney, I almost fell too and at points it felt like ice skating. Frozen toes after stepping on puddles, soaking wet and in a hurt locker, I pushed up towards the M streets section trying to salvage the race, but it turned useless and a bad idea. After mile 9 when it turns downhill I was SPENT, tired and in a bad mood. Just cruised until the finish line making this one my slowest (run only) half marathon ever. This includes my first one.

Well, I haven't had a bad race in a while. One was due to happen sooner or later...

Sorry that you had such a bad day...especially when it seems like it was beyond your control!  You'll be able to benefit in the future by looking back while in tough situations and remembering that nothing compares like that half marathon on Dec. 4th!

2011-12-04 2:20 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

I agree with you Ernesto.  It was a tough day. Jackie, you made the right call to stay home.  I was on pace for a 2:00 half (huge PR for me) studiously following the 2:00 pacer.  That is until mile 9.3....when I stepped in a puddle that turned out to be a pothole, sprained my ankle and fell.  I was hoping the sag wagon would at least be dry and warm.  After a few minutes of having a nice chat with the police officer there, I was able to put weight on it.  He hooked me up with a trainer from Baylor about a block down, who took me to her truck and taped it for me.  I was able to at least finish (2:18).  Lady who lived in the house right by where I fell brought me water, and two other runners helped me up, but I didn't want to wreck their race, so told them to go.  But I think they would have stayed.  Experiencing the kindness of strangers was truly the gift from today.  

Edited by squirt 2011-12-04 2:25 PM

2011-12-04 4:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

Sorry to here everyone had a rough race and I hope everyone is doing ok now.  

As for me... I have been sulking with the issues with my feet and as Scott noted I found a new pair of shoes.  Now to get over the mental aspect of putting them on because I actually HATE the way they look.  But because of the way my foot strikes, I only had a choice of 2 shoes and these were the lesser of the 2 evils.  They are Brooks GTS 12.  I ran on the treadmill with them today.  After Scott's run in 7 degrees yesterday, I couldn't run because it was too late to get to the gym and I just don't have the necessary gear to run in the elements. So today I headed indoors.  I expected the pace to be better and the heart rate lower.  I was shocked to see that it was as high as it was given how slow I was going.  I was thinking that maybe the stress of being in there on top of trying to focus on my foot strike may have caused the elevation...  Not sure.  

So this week looks like indoor running.  I just need to get some cold weather gear!!!  Scott is at the gym now.

2011-12-04 6:01 PM
in reply to: #3925662

User image

Master
jenputnam - 2011-12-04 4:19 PM

Sorry to here everyone had a rough race and I hope everyone is doing ok now.  

As for me... I have been sulking with the issues with my feet and as Scott noted I found a new pair of shoes.  Now to get over the mental aspect of putting them on because I actually HATE the way they look.  But because of the way my foot strikes, I only had a choice of 2 shoes and these were the lesser of the 2 evils.  They are Brooks GTS 12.  I ran on the treadmill with them today.  After Scott's run in 7 degrees yesterday, I couldn't run because it was too late to get to the gym and I just don't have the necessary gear to run in the elements. So today I headed indoors.  I expected the pace to be better and the heart rate lower.  I was shocked to see that it was as high as it was given how slow I was going.  I was thinking that maybe the stress of being in there on top of trying to focus on my foot strike may have caused the elevation...  Not sure.  

So this week looks like indoor running.  I just need to get some cold weather gear!!!  Scott is at the gym now.

If its any consolation, my pace is always slower and my HR higher on the treadmill.  I find running outside to be much easier.  

2011-12-04 6:04 PM

User image

Regular
Colorado Springs

Sorry to hear about everyone that had a tough race.  If you race long enough, it will happen sooner or later.  The good news is it doesn't happen often so you have some good race experiences to look forward to. 

As Jennie mentioned, it's still single digit wind chills out side, so after yesterday's frozen experience I decided to suffer on the treadmill.  10.56 miles in 90 minutes at an average HR of 147.  After talking to Jennie it appears her elevated HR on the tradmill today was due to her setting the incline to 0.5% for her whole run.  I think she read somewhere to do that to make it more like running outside.  I leave the incline at zero because running on the treadmill sucks enough as it is.

2011-12-04 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3925749

User image

Master
Dallas
scottputnam - 2011-12-04 6:04 PM

Sorry to hear about everyone that had a tough race.  If you race long enough, it will happen sooner or later.  The good news is it doesn't happen often so you have some good race experiences to look forward to. 

As Jennie mentioned, it's still single digit wind chills out side, so after yesterday's frozen experience I decided to suffer on the treadmill.  10.56 miles in 90 minutes at an average HR of 147.  After talking to Jennie it appears her elevated HR on the tradmill today was due to her setting the incline to 0.5% for her whole run.  I think she read somewhere to do that to make it more like running outside.  I leave the incline at zero because running on the treadmill sucks enough as it is.

I agree Scott, I hate the dreadmill with a passion but sometimes it is the only option. Better than no training I guess. How do the pros do in Colorado? I'm wondering why they love Boulder as cold as it is... I know about the altitude training effect and all but all training indoors for six months? seems like a lot to me.
2011-12-04 8:29 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Sorry about the race Ernesto and Carol. Bummer.

As for the cold, I ran 8 miles today in 25 degrees through two new inches of snow in my five fingers. There are people here who will run all through the winter, including well under 0 Fahrenheit. I am going to try to do that. My rule for cross country skiing was no colder than minus 5 Fahrenheit but I would do that all the time and there would be lots of other skiers out.

I think it is just equipment. I got a new pair of Cw-x running tights. Very warm. Might have to buy warmer minimalist shoes.

2011-12-04 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3925925

User image

Master
Dallas
chris2533 - 2011-12-04 8:29 PM Sorry about the race Ernesto and Carol. Bummer. As for the cold, I ran 8 miles today in 25 degrees through two new inches of snow in my five fingers. There are people here who will run all through the winter, including well under 0 Fahrenheit. I am going to try to do that. My rule for cross country skiing was no colder than minus 5 Fahrenheit but I would do that all the time and there would be lots of other skiers out. I think it is just equipment. I got a new pair of Cw-x running tights. Very warm. Might have to buy warmer minimalist shoes.
How are you going to fight frostbite? (toes I guess).
2011-12-04 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3925956

User image

Maple Grove, MN
ernestov - 2011-12-04 8:59 PM

chris2533 - 2011-12-04 8:29 PM Sorry about the race Ernesto and Carol. Bummer. As for the cold, I ran 8 miles today in 25 degrees through two new inches of snow in my five fingers. There are people here who will run all through the winter, including well under 0 Fahrenheit. I am going to try to do that. My rule for cross country skiing was no colder than minus 5 Fahrenheit but I would do that all the time and there would be lots of other skiers out. I think it is just equipment. I got a new pair of Cw-x running tights. Very warm. Might have to buy warmer minimalist shoes.
How are you going to fight frostbite? (toes I guess).

Last year my thanksgiving 10k was 7 degrees. (I kid you not.) With all the standing around before the race, my toes did get cold in the vff's. But after the second mile, I could feel them again. Same thing today. Vff bikas aren't close to waterproof and with the roads salted, there was a lot of slush, so my feet got soaked a d cold right away. Felt fine after about two miles.
2011-12-05 10:05 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Ernesto and Carol, sorry to hear about the tough race conditions, but kuddos to both for being good troopers and finishing them!  Plus there will be many better races ahead!

I did a long bike ride early Saturday morning in what I felt was a cold day at 50F, but I have nothing to complain after seeing what some of you (especially Chris, Scott and Jen, Mitch and Barry) have to put up with, even talking about dealing with frostbite...

However, what I'm having a hard time dealing with is the Holiday party season.  I started with parties last Tuesday all the way through Saturday and the next few weeks are not looking any better.  So needless to say, I have been juggling social events and trying to behave as much as possible, along with my training sessions and lack of sleep.  I feel like I'm training more for the party at the end of the IM than the actual IM, so I will be looking forward to the end of the Holidays soon so that I can get into training without any distractions.

Hope everyone is doing well!

2011-12-06 9:03 AM

User image

Regular
Colorado Springs
I did a little over an hour on the indoor trainer in the basement this morning.  It felt alright but I find it more challenging first thing in the morning to stay focused on keeping my cadence up.  But it's better than riding outside at the moment.  As for the cold, I could run in colder conditions if I could keep my fingers warm.  At some point it just isn't safe though as I've heard stories about people's lungs freezing and getting pneumonia.  Fortunately here in Colorado it doesn't stay really cold for long stretches like the midwest.  Yesterday was freezing and its supposed to be 46 deg by tomorrow.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84