BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2013-08-30 7:31 AM
in reply to: everlong

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed
Originally posted by everlong

Originally posted by jarvy01

I will admit that I begged my husband to support a trip to do IM Chattanooga but he said no. Grrr! Have to stick closer to home.

I was giving IM Chat a serious look.

I want to do it next September I tried different methods of begging and manipulation, but it was an emphatic no from my husband. I did convince him to return to IMMT in 2015, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Well that's two more you've had success on than I have and three if you factor in CP. Once the move is completed I'm going to see what I can do to pull it off.

I moved 9 weeks before I did my first HIM at Cedar Point , and I trained right through the move and about broke myself doing it. I feel your pain with the move. Readjusting your goals was the right thing to do, Scott. Maybe that will give you the leverage you need to secure a registration for an IM next season.

2013-08-30 9:08 AM
in reply to: jarvy01

User image

Pro
CyFair
Another hour in the pool and an hour recovery ride this morning.  Could really use a nap. 
2013-08-30 2:22 PM

User image

Expert

I will admit that I begged my husband to support a trip to do IM Chattanooga but he said no. Grrr! Have to stick closer to home.

I was giving IM Chat a serious look.

I want to do it next September I tried different methods of begging and manipulation, but it was an emphatic no from my husband. I did convince him to return to IMMT in 2015, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Well that's two more you've had success on than I have and three if you factor in CP. Once the move is completed I'm going to see what I can do to pull it off.

I moved 9 weeks before I did my first HIM at Cedar Point , and I trained right through the move and about broke myself doing it. I feel your pain with the move. Readjusting your goals was the right thing to do, Scott. Maybe that will give you the leverage you need to secure a registration for an IM next season.

I hope so on the IM reg. I knew training through a move would be impossible.
2013-08-31 7:08 AM

User image

Expert
Well August is done. Considering how low July's totals were with everything going on I'm pretty happy with what I got in. This last week was a recovery week which ended up being well timed as I've been sick with a chest cold. Don't ask me how I caught it. I haven't had a cold in a few year so to catch a summer one sucked. Being up about 10 pounds from my HIM weight and trying to build base again it was a lot of low intensity work. This morning for instance was a 55 minute ride at 117 average HR and only a 140 max to spin the legs out. I do wish I got more core work in. That's the lowest in a long time even last month which was epically low across the board.

Starting to feel better so hopefully that continues so I can get in a long ride tomorrow. 2-3 hours depending on how I feel and I'll let that determine the intensity as well. Hope everybody else is feeling good and training well.

August's totals

Swim: 4h 35m - 12900 Yd

Bike: 19h 27m 03s - 326.95 Mi

Run: 10h 41m 42s - 69.08 Mi

Strength: 1h 10m

Core Training: 1h 28m
2013-08-31 9:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Well August is done. Considering how low July's totals were with everything going on I'm pretty happy with what I got in. This last week was a recovery week which ended up being well timed as I've been sick with a chest cold. Don't ask me how I caught it. I haven't had a cold in a few year so to catch a summer one sucked. Being up about 10 pounds from my HIM weight and trying to build base again it was a lot of low intensity work. This morning for instance was a 55 minute ride at 117 average HR and only a 140 max to spin the legs out. I do wish I got more core work in. That's the lowest in a long time even last month which was epically low across the board.

Starting to feel better so hopefully that continues so I can get in a long ride tomorrow. 2-3 hours depending on how I feel and I'll let that determine the intensity as well. Hope everybody else is feeling good and training well.

August's totals

Swim: 4h 35m - 12900 Yd

Bike: 19h 27m 03s - 326.95 Mi

Run: 10h 41m 42s - 69.08 Mi

Strength: 1h 10m

Core Training: 1h 28m

Great job, Scott!
2013-09-01 11:07 AM

User image

Expert
Swam OWS with a 310xt for the first time. Pretty interesting data. I averaged 1:16/100 for 2400 yards with 5 different laps. Each one got faster starting at 1:22/100 and ending with 1:12/100. One of the better swims I've had. I just felt really good and smooth.

5 mile slow run after.

2013-09-01 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Great job on the swim, Scott!

I ran an oly this morning and I'm wondering if my lack of pool time caught up with me. I felt fine in the water and on the bike, but coming off the bike I could not get my heart rate down. I don't feel like I cooked the bike, but maybe that's the obvious conclusion. Maybe the swim had nothing to do with it? I really don't know. The bike felt really easy compared to last year's race on this course. My legs felt great and energetic on the run, but my chest was tight and my HR was through the roof. I tried to walk it off, but every time I started running, it just shot back up. Not the result I was hoping for.

2013-09-02 5:27 PM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Expert
Originally posted by tdl1972

I ran an oly this morning and I'm wondering if my lack of pool time caught up with me. I felt fine in the water and on the bike, but coming off the bike I could not get my heart rate down. I don't feel like I cooked the bike, but maybe that's the obvious conclusion. Maybe the swim had nothing to do with it? I really don't know. The bike felt really easy compared to last year's race on this course. My legs felt great and energetic on the run, but my chest was tight and my HR was through the roof. I tried to walk it off, but every time I started running, it just shot back up. Not the result I was hoping for.

Were you wearing a heart rate monitor? What was your nutrition and hydration? Was it hot?
2013-09-03 8:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

We all have races like this! You still have plenty of time to up the swim volume before IMFL. Are you using a plan or coach? I highly recommend Swim Speed Workouts book if you're just going at this solo. Tons of workouts in there. Some focus on speed and others on endurance. Just keep at it!!!
2013-09-03 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Swam OWS with a 310xt for the first time. Pretty interesting data. I averaged 1:16/100 for 2400 yards with 5 different laps. Each one got faster starting at 1:22/100 and ending with 1:12/100. One of the better swims I've had. I just felt really good and smooth.

5 mile slow run after.

Nice job on the OWS!

One of my goals for next season is to swim in open water at least once a week for the entire summer. My pool swims don't translate well to open water so I think I need practice, practice, and more practice. I'm also buying a new sleeveless wetsuit for next season. I hate the sleeves. Don't care about the 2 seconds I gain from wearing it. I like to feel the water with my arms and the sleeves really hinder that. I like the shoulder flexibility I get with the sleeveless. Wish I would have work the one without sleeves for IMMT. I'm all about what works for me next season (and not what works for someone else!).
2013-09-03 8:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
First run post-IM this morning. Yikes!!!! That's all I have to say about it. My October HM is going to be an all out sufferfest. LOL.

2013-09-03 8:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

5 mile slow run after.

Awesome swim!! My hope someday is to see those numbers!
2013-09-03 8:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

First run post-IM this morning. Yikes!!!! That's all I have to say about it. My October HM is going to be an all out sufferfest. LOL.

Congrats on being back in training! I didn't want my off time to be over! I really enjoyed it!
2013-09-03 8:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Congrats on the oly! You still have time to work out some of the kinks before IMFL!
2013-09-03 9:43 AM

User image

Expert

5 mile slow run after.

Nice job on the OWS!

One of my goals for next season is to swim in open water at least once a week for the entire summer. My pool swims don't translate well to open water so I think I need practice, practice, and more practice. I'm also buying a new sleeveless wetsuit for next season. I hate the sleeves. Don't care about the 2 seconds I gain from wearing it. I like to feel the water with my arms and the sleeves really hinder that. I like the shoulder flexibility I get with the sleeveless. Wish I would have work the one without sleeves for IMMT. I'm all about what works for me next season (and not what works for someone else!).

I have both a full and a sleeveless but only use the full early season when it's too cold. In a race when it's warm I think the speed gained vs the heat generated makes it a wash. When I did Williamsburg and NYC I got out of the water sweating even with the sleeveless.
2013-09-04 7:35 AM
in reply to: DDVMM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by DDVMM

Congrats on being back in training! I didn't want my off time to be over! I really enjoyed it!

I really enjoyed my time off this year, too. Almost considered taking more time I managed to squeeze in lots of writing, reading, and resting.

I plan on being a little more structured with my goals this year. I aim to write a list of things I want to accomplish. Next season is about finding out where my place is in this sport. I know I'm not going to make the cut for sprints/olympics as speed really isn't my thing. I want to pick one distance and "specialize." I don't know if that's the HIM or IM. I will know after this season. I also want to make a list of specific things I want to accomplish - like swim in open water once a week, join masters swim, etc.

2013-09-04 7:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

5 mile slow run after.

Nice job on the OWS!

I have both a full and a sleeveless but only use the full early season when it's too cold. In a race when it's warm I think the speed gained vs the heat generated makes it a wash. When I did Williamsburg and NYC I got out of the water sweating even with the sleeveless.

I'm not faster in the wetsuit at all. I'm just not. I like the sleeveless because I have a habit of letting my hips drag when I sight in open water, and the wetsuit corrects that a bit. But the lack of sleeves gives me the shoulder flexibility I want when I'm swimming all out. I just need to become better at sighting. I'm researching best sleeveless and plan to purchase a new one after Christmas. I don't intend to wear the full again unless I do IMCdA.
2013-09-04 7:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm taking the clipless pedals off my road bike and putting the cages back on. I'm moving the toddler seat from my crusty old mountain bike to my road bike. I plan on taking Frederick to preschool on the road bike this fall (until it starts snowing, which will be sometime in October. LOL). I just don't feel comfortable dealing with clipless with Fred on my bike during rush hour traffic. I will still do all my triathlon specific training on my triathlon bike. Just need something a little safer for commuting with my toddler.
2013-09-04 7:49 AM

User image

Expert

5 mile slow run after.

Nice job on the OWS!

I'm not faster in the wetsuit at all. I'm just not. I like the sleeveless because I have a habit of letting my hips drag when I sight in open water, and the wetsuit corrects that a bit. But the lack of sleeves gives me the shoulder flexibility I want when I'm swimming all out. I just need to become better at sighting. I'm researching best sleeveless and plan to purchase a new one after Christmas. I don't intend to wear the full again unless I do IMCdA.

The wetsuit corrects a lot more for me than it does for you and I probably have 25X the OWS time that you do. I've gotten to the point where if the water is smooth I only check my spot once every 10-20 strokes and I'm rarely off course at all. If there's a wake I check more often. I agree on the flexibility.
2013-09-04 8:48 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair

Originally posted by everlong Swam OWS with a 310xt for the first time. Pretty interesting data. I averaged 1:16/100 for 2400 yards with 5 different laps. Each one got faster starting at 1:22/100 and ending with 1:12/100. One of the better swims I've had. I just felt really good and smooth. 5 mile slow run after.
Nice job on the OWS! One of my goals for next season is to swim in open water at least once a week for the entire summer. My pool swims don't translate well to open water so I think I need practice, practice, and more practice. I'm also buying a new sleeveless wetsuit for next season. I hate the sleeves. Don't care about the 2 seconds I gain from wearing it. I like to feel the water with my arms and the sleeves really hinder that. I like the shoulder flexibility I get with the sleeveless. Wish I would have work the one without sleeves for IMMT. I'm all about what works for me next season (and not what works for someone else!).
The wetsuit corrects a lot more for me than it does for you and I probably have 25X the OWS time that you do. I've gotten to the point where if the water is smooth I only check my spot once every 10-20 strokes and I'm rarely off course at all. If there's a wake I check more often. I agree on the flexibility.

I wish I could get to this point.  Sighting is a huge issue for me.  I'm sure I'd have drastically better times if I could OWS 1-2 times per week.

2013-09-04 8:50 AM
in reply to: uhcoog

User image

Pro
CyFair
1:40 run and 40 minutes of tabata on the bike afterwards.  It's just ridiculously humid here even at 5 AM.  Drenched less than a mile in. 

2013-09-04 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by uhcoog

1:40 run and 40 minutes of tabata on the bike afterwards.  It's just ridiculously humid here even at 5 AM.  Drenched less than a mile in. 

Tabata after a 1:40 run.....OUCH!

I did a 1:30 run this morning but conditions were pretty good. Temps in the low 60's and humidity was mild.
2013-09-04 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by uhcoog

Originally posted by everlong Swam OWS with a 310xt for the first time. Pretty interesting data. I averaged 1:16/100 for 2400 yards with 5 different laps. Each one got faster starting at 1:22/100 and ending with 1:12/100. One of the better swims I've had. I just felt really good and smooth. 5 mile slow run after.
Nice job on the OWS! One of my goals for next season is to swim in open water at least once a week for the entire summer. My pool swims don't translate well to open water so I think I need practice, practice, and more practice. I'm also buying a new sleeveless wetsuit for next season. I hate the sleeves. Don't care about the 2 seconds I gain from wearing it. I like to feel the water with my arms and the sleeves really hinder that. I like the shoulder flexibility I get with the sleeveless. Wish I would have work the one without sleeves for IMMT. I'm all about what works for me next season (and not what works for someone else!).

I wish I could get to this point.  Sighting is a huge issue for me.  I'm sure I'd have drastically better times if I could OWS 1-2 times per week.

It really is all about the reps with OWS. Last summer I probably got in 40 OWS sessions. This year it's probably only been 20 but once you get it you don't lose it. If you could just make that extra effort for a short period of time to get in a lot of OWS and then just maintain I think you would really notice the difference.
2013-09-04 11:29 AM

User image

Regular

Sorry I've been away - real life has intervened once again.  Happily I've been able to keep training somewhat regularly.  Sounds like people've been having some awesome results!

I have a question for the group - I'm racing this weekend (the Nation's Tri, Olympic distance in DC) and then again next weekend (Savageman - Olympic distance).  Of the two, the Savageman is more important to me.  That being the case, I'm not doing much tapering this week in advance of the Nation's, and will taper next week.  Does that sound like the right way to go?  If I were to taper now, race this weekend, taper next week, and race next weekend, would it be too fat and lazy for the Savageman next weekend? 

2013-09-04 1:29 PM
in reply to: Kuma

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Kuma

Sorry I've been away - real life has intervened once again.  Happily I've been able to keep training somewhat regularly.  Sounds like people've been having some awesome results!

I have a question for the group - I'm racing this weekend (the Nation's Tri, Olympic distance in DC) and then again next weekend (Savageman - Olympic distance).  Of the two, the Savageman is more important to me.  That being the case, I'm not doing much tapering this week in advance of the Nation's, and will taper next week.  Does that sound like the right way to go?  If I were to taper now, race this weekend, taper next week, and race next weekend, would it be too fat and lazy for the Savageman next weekend? 

I would train thru Nation's and start taper next week for Savageman.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaburns1214 and UHCoog's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 86