BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-11-04 3:23 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED

Stuart-glad the surgery went well. Thanks for checking in. Keep us up to date on your road to recovery.

Randee-I saw a buddy at the pool today who was over volunteering at IMFL. He said as soon as the last swimmers exited they put the red flags back up at the beach. The red flags typically mean no swimming due to conditions. Usually at the Gulf the worst of the conditions are the first 200 yards out from shore. Curious what it would take for WTC to cancel an IM swim. Not saying they should have but I've read of several races in the last few years where water conditions were questionable at best. 

2013-11-04 3:35 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by slornow

Randee-I saw a buddy at the pool today who was over volunteering at IMFL. He said as soon as the last swimmers exited they put the red flags back up at the beach. The red flags typically mean no swimming due to conditions. Usually at the Gulf the worst of the conditions are the first 200 yards out from shore. Curious what it would take for WTC to cancel an IM swim. Not saying they should have but I've read of several races in the last few years where water conditions were questionable at best. 

I think water conditions combined with a mass start would have freaked the heck outta me!! Cedar Point ended up moving their swim due to conditions this year but I don't know the specifics. And that's not even an ocean swim!!

That is pretty scary - wonder if IM has ever canceled a swim?! I'm not sure I'd like an IRONMAN DUATHLON lol
2013-11-07 6:09 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I'm not sure about cancelled swims at full IMs but I am pretty sure that it has happened.

At HIMs, several swims have been cancelled. Steelhead had the swim cancelled the first year I did it. Waves were too rough to put out safety boats, so no swim.

It has been a crazy busy week so far. Sometimes it is very hard to predict how busy things will be. I was so beat when I got home yesterday that I was in bed by 8 PM and completely missed my workouts for the day. Sometimes I think that sleep is more important than training. Hard for me to accept that but it happens.

Everybody doing ok out there?
2013-11-07 7:50 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by wannabefaster I'm not sure about cancelled swims at full IMs but I am pretty sure that it has happened. At HIMs, several swims have been cancelled. Steelhead had the swim cancelled the first year I did it. Waves were too rough to put out safety boats, so no swim. It has been a crazy busy week so far. Sometimes it is very hard to predict how busy things will be. I was so beat when I got home yesterday that I was in bed by 8 PM and completely missed my workouts for the day. Sometimes I think that sleep is more important than training. Hard for me to accept that but it happens. Everybody doing ok out there?

Funny.  I was in bed by 8:30 last night.  I just started a 5:45am master's class and am experiencing 4:15am wake-up calls for the first time in a few months.  Had to cut a run speed work session because I was just too pooped to pull it off after Tuesday's class.  I'm sure in another week I'll be used to it.   At least i hope so!

2013-11-07 6:35 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey gang-count me in for an early night last night as well. In bed around 8:30pm. I think part of it is the time change. Its dark here at 5:00pm.....yuck!

Still plugging along with the s/b/r. Hard to believe only 3 week until Thanksgiving.

Looking forward to some great college football this weekend starting with Oregon against Stanford at 8:00pm tonight. Hope I can stay awake at least until halftime!

Take care everyone!

2013-11-08 6:08 PM
in reply to: #4891395

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
I'm making another appearance to say hi. There've been some more impressive race results over the last few weeks. Congratulations to everyone!

We've finally finished de-cluttering our house. It's amazing how much crap you can accumulate in 5 years, but its great to have it all cleared out. It's like a different house. A couple of friends came round on Wednesday to do a little house viewing to give us some thoughts on what needs fixing up. It's mostly just painting now so the end is in sight.

So with that in mind I went for my first run in over a month today. This time last year I was really struggling with run motivation and barely did anything for about two months. I wondered if I'd find it hard work after such a long break, but actually it felt great to get out and do something (I've been out on the mountain bikes a couple of times but otherwise enforced rest). I just did an easy 30min. I wore my garmin but only looked at it to see when I got to 15min to turn around. I'll be taking it fairly easy getting back into it but the plan is to build consistency from now with a view to a HM early next year.

Sounds like everyone's working pretty hard and earned those early nights. I'm on late shift this weekend, finishing work at 3am, so I'm more likely to see 4am from the other side, rather than an early start!

2013-11-08 6:27 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey folks-Well, I finally broke down and bought a road bike. Been selling some gear that I don't use to keep the bike from putting a dent in the family budget. Its a 2013 Scott Foil 20. LBS had a good price as it was a closeout for 2013 then I got to use my Tri Team discount as well. Looking forward to putting some miles on it tomorrow. Always good for the training to get a new toy. Sorry the picture isn't great. 

(scott1 (2).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
scott1 (2).jpg (64KB - 13 downloads)
2013-11-09 5:52 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randy,

Looks fast. How was the inaugural ride?

I bought something new too. If you don't want to be scarred for life, stop reading now. I don't know what inspired me to do this..... I was ordering some swim stuff for my daughter and noticed that true "speedo style suits" we're on sale for $5. So I ordered two. They arrived yesterday. They are small. I mean really small. The fit is correct, just really small. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and wear them for swim training. I won't let my kids see me in them or THEY will definitely be scarred. I'll have to see what the wife says. I suspect she will laugh really hard.

Training is still pretty slow for me and I am ok with that. I have developed a killer head cold that isn't stopping me from training but is making me fairly miserable.
2013-11-09 7:30 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by wannabefaster Randy, Looks fast. How was the inaugural ride? I bought something new too. If you don't want to be scarred for life, stop reading now. I don't know what inspired me to do this..... I was ordering some swim stuff for my daughter and noticed that true "speedo style suits" we're on sale for $5. So I ordered two. They arrived yesterday. They are small. I mean really small. The fit is correct, just really small. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and wear them for swim training. I won't let my kids see me in them or THEY will definitely be scarred. I'll have to see what the wife says. I suspect she will laugh really hard. Training is still pretty slow for me and I am ok with that. I have developed a killer head cold that isn't stopping me from training but is making me fairly miserable.

HaHa! Rock that Speedo! I've always worn jammers but last time I ordered a new suit I also ordered a "square leg" cut suit. Basically, really short jammers. Have not been able to bring myself to wear them. Not sure anyone really wants to, or could stomach, seeing me in them. I'm encouraged by your bravery and will have to break them out.

New bike was good. Did a little over 30 miles outside this morning. Low back was a bit tired toward the end though. Very different feel than the tri bike. I was suppose to do some hard short sprints and the new bike really jumps. I'm very comfortable on the tri bike but looking forward to spending some time on the road bike over the Winter. Hope to get out again tomorrow.

Hope you get over that head cold Jason.

Roll Tide!

2013-11-09 9:14 PM

User image

New user
Oh pictures please......
2013-11-10 6:11 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I have been wearing the square cut suit pretty consistently for a couple years so I guess the speedo was just the natural progression. Maybe the fact that I was swimming next to a "real" swimmer the other day and he had a speedo on was my inspiration. In my sleepy little pool I am often the fastest swimmer. Not on that day. He was lapping me every 150 yards or so and making it look effortless. When I swim with the speedo (tomorrow) I expect to look just as fast!

I am already somewhat mortified. I will have to see if I have the guts to post a pic

2013-11-10 6:25 AM

User image

Master
I've got my 1st Olympic next weekend! Nervous because I don't know what their waters are like. I still have a bit of fear of open water. I know that once I the horn goes off, I'll get right into it, but the anxiety right know is through the roof! If I can get through the swim, I'll feel fine.

2013-11-10 7:19 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-post a link to the pic rather than the pic itself. Then we can decide if we want to see you in all of your studliness rather than your studliness just being there when we come to the forum. Just kidding.....rock that speedo.  Why does that iconic picture of Mark Spitz keep coming to mind?  Obviously, we care much more about our appearance than anyone else at the pool would. I never think twice when I see someone in a speedo or square leg suit....they are usually really good swimmers and I'm trying to watch how they swim to see what they are doing in their stroke. What the hell, shake it up a little. I hear the drag reduction with a true Speedo is 10-15 seconds/100 ................... 

Blanda-you wil crush the race. Just pace yourself. Lots of times sprints and olympics are kind of lumped together as "short" races. The 10K run after a longer swim and 24.8 mile bike will get your attention. You have done lots of open water swims. Just swim your swim, relax and you can always do some breast/backstroke if you start feeling anxious. If you are feeling perky you could always start the race with a quick 100 of butterfly

Hour run on tap and probably some more time on the new bike today. Have a good Sunday everyone!

2013-11-10 8:04 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

I am already somewhat mortified. I will have to see if I have the guts to post a pic

heh heh!! **waitingpatiently**

Blanda You'll do great!
2013-11-10 9:15 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by wannabefaster

heh heh!! **waitingpatiently**

Blanda You'll do great!

Maybe I should have said, "the b#lls to post the pic."

Pun intended.........
2013-11-10 10:22 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Bunch of us in Augusta are eyeing this new half iron distance near Asheville, NC in early August. Looks rather friendly even though it's in the 'mountains' of NC. Like the price, too.

I'm considering doing this one instead of Raleigh (mainly because of the $$). My one dilemma is that it's the weekend between pre-planning and the start of the new school year. That weekend is generally a busy one for me with first day of school prep stuff.

http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventI...

Edited by glfprncs 2013-11-10 10:23 AM

2013-11-10 12:23 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

New user
Jason, I think you are bold and I am impressed! go for it!
I was messing with you AND Randy! I wanted pics of both!

HM last weekend, first one ever as a race. It was fun, I was feeling it the last 1.5 miles.

I have a group I am running with now on Sunday mornings, I did 12 miles this morning. The company makes the run go by so much faster. I also really enjoy running in different locations.
I have been using the stationary bike at the gym since my accident since I am still having some dizziness. I miss being on 'my' bike but I do feel fortunate I can exercise and didn't get hurt in a way that kept me from that.

Two more half's to go this year then some running events in Jan/Feb. I am doing a trail HM in January, that should be different and fun.
2013-11-10 8:52 PM

User image

Master
Thanks, guys! I hope to do a decent job, and of course have some fun with the family.

Randy: I remember you saying that before about the Olympic distance and that's been stuck in my head. Thank you! I probably would have shot out and gone hard only to peter out halfway through the bike. I'm also going to take my time in transition to make sure I'm hydrated. I'm always forgetting to do that and then I feel like poo on the run. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Where are the speedo pictures?
2013-11-11 4:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Good luck this weekend Blanda!

I read an interesting article today from Triathlete Europe by Chris McCormack about why he races, and the impact that certain brands have on racing. I wondered if you guys had any thoughts on the topic? Does the brand matter?

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2013/11/08/chris-mccormack-...

In other news, I have discovered that the race I was planning as my 'A' race for next year (Challenge Henley) doesn't exist any more! Apparently there have been some problems with local councillors making things difficult and so they've had to ditch Henley as a venue. It's now become Challenge UK and is in Weymouth on the south coast of England. It's a sea swim, which I'm not so happy with... It's a real shame as Henley had loads of local support and was meant to be a great race. I think I'm still going to aim for that race, but it's not going to be the experience I was hoping for.
2013-11-12 12:49 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

In addition to Blanda's race this weekend I believe JimmyB is racing IMAZ? Jim, if you are out there let us know your number and how you are doing.

2013-11-12 1:11 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by chapfallen

In other news, I have discovered that the race I was planning as my 'A' race for next year (Challenge Henley) doesn't exist any more! Apparently there have been some problems with local councillors making things difficult and so they've had to ditch Henley as a venue. It's now become Challenge UK and is in Weymouth on the south coast of England. It's a sea swim, which I'm not so happy with... It's a real shame as Henley had loads of local support and was meant to be a great race. I think I'm still going to aim for that race, but it's not going to be the experience I was hoping for.

that totally sucks

2013-11-12 4:41 PM

User image

Master
Thanks, Rachel! Sorry to hear about your A race getting cancelled. Bum deal!

Go, JIMMYB!!

Stuart, glad to hear the procedure went. Hope recovery is quick and comfortable.

Can you believe that flying my bike to an island that I can see from my island on a clear day will cost more than the plane ticket?! ACK!

I'm excited!
2013-11-12 8:28 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Cadence, Tempo, Turnover…..

Is faster always better?

While running tonight I counted my cadence for the first time in a long time. I was consistently right around 98 strides/minute. Same as it was the last time I counted. That is where I have naturally fallen and no matter what pace I am running, I am very close to that turnover. It is what feels comfortable to me but I suspect that it would be uncomfortably fast for some. At what point is fast turnover too fast? Does this happen in running? I am not sure. It might be that physics prevents you from ever having too high a turnover in running, instead, to go faster the push-off gets stronger, the stride lengthens, and maybe the cadence goes up a little bit.

We have talked a lot about tempo in swimming. I have been trying diligently to increase my tempo with some success. But most of us have seen that at too high a tempo, the oxygen demand becomes very high, form breaks down, and we go slower, not faster. The (my) goal in swimming is to be able to increase my tempo with out losing my distance per stroke. In other words, if I can travel 1.25 yards per stroke, a 25 yard length takes 20 strokes (right?) If I take 20 strokes/minute, I only go 25 yards/minute. If I take 100 strokes/minute but maintain my distance per stroke, I go 100 yards/minute. The trick is figuring out what I can maintain for any length of time…….

Cadence on the bike…… Here is where I am really interested in the intersection of cadence vs power. To generate more power, you either need to push harder or push faster (or both). Pushing harder wears out the muscles in your legs. Pushing faster really increases the cardiovascular demand. I think I have been guilty of trying to generate power by pedaling faster and faster and failing miserably as my heart rate sky rockets as high as the 180s. I have not had the results that I want in my last two power tests, falling well short of my expectations. Next time around I am going to start at a much lower cadence and see what happens. I had the opportunity to look at a power file from an impressive 10 minute TT and one of the things that was very noticeable was the downshift to a lower cadence for the last 3-4 minutes when things got really tough. Not sure if a great TT really translates to triathlon success but it is interesting for me to think about.

I don't know if I really am breaking any new ground with the group but just wanted to randomly mumble about things going through my mind. Any thoughts?
2013-11-13 7:02 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Wore the Speedo!

Have I said this before? That thing is really small.

I tried not to think about how much of me was exposed while I was swimming. I was hoping that the smaller suit would lead to less drag and faster times but it didn't really happen that way.

No photos yet........ My wife reminded me that once a picture is on the internet it is out there forever........
2013-11-13 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Jason I have very limited experience but maybe some insight on bike cadence. Unfortunately my response is...it depends. I did a lot of training in a lower gear and constant high cadence. I think it really helped my bike cardio. However, when I was riding the 16.1 mile race course for my local tri I was much faster pushing power over cadence. Part of it is my familiarity with the course and knowing exactly how and when to shift that I could maximize power without completely destroying cadence.

I read a lot about keeping a steady cadence and likely over longer distances that is the best way to go but over a short distance, power is king. The trick I think is to figure out what 'short distance' means to you. When in shape I consider anything under 1500 yards as a short distance in a pool. I am sure for you on a bike, what you consider a short distance is far longer than what I would.

So bottom line is find the balance that yields you the best results over the distance you are riding. In a pool I do that without even thinking about it. When I was riding 5 days a week I was thinking about it all the time.

As for the speedo, go fast enough and you will always look good wearing it!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88