BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-11-17 11:15 PM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Awesome job, Jim!!

2013-11-18 5:57 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Congrats Jimmy!!!

I have a swim clinic in Sundays. So far it's been pretty good. We're doing a lot of stroke drills etc and I've also increased my volume to around 2500 yards on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

SO Yesterday was the 2nd 200 yard test. I dropped 12 seconds off my time (first test was 10/27). OH YEAH! It's the little victories

Hope everyone had a good weekend......waiting for race reports
2013-11-18 6:02 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Blanda

Awesome job, Jim!!

Blanda,

Weren't you racing this weekend? How did it go?

(or am I remembering wrong?)
2013-11-18 8:11 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk I have a swim clinic in Sundays. So far it's been pretty good. We're doing a lot of stroke drills etc and I've also increased my volume to around 2500 yards on Tuesdays and Thursdays. SO Yesterday was the 2nd 200 yard test. I dropped 12 seconds off my time (first test was 10/27). OH YEAH! It's the little victories Hope everyone had a good weekend......waiting for race reports

That's some solid improvement. Keep up the good work.

2013-11-18 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I have a swim clinic in Sundays. So far it's been pretty good. We're doing a lot of stroke drills etc and I've also increased my volume to around 2500 yards on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

SO Yesterday was the 2nd 200 yard test. I dropped 12 seconds off my time (first test was 10/27). OH YEAH! It's the little victories

That is more than a little victory, great wok. That is one thing about swimming that you will enjoy. Improvement can come in big chunks if you keep at it. It will seem like nothing is getting better then boom, 12 seconds in a 200. It won't go on forever though so rejoice in the progress. As the jumps get smaller it just means you are getting faster.

Keep it up.
2013-11-18 12:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Stuartap

That is more than a little victory, great wok. That is one thing about swimming that you will enjoy. Improvement can come in big chunks if you keep at it. It will seem like nothing is getting better then boom, 12 seconds in a 200. It won't go on forever though so rejoice in the progress. As the jumps get smaller it just means you are getting faster.

Keep it up.

Thanks! If I didn't time it myself I wouldn't have believed it.

I'm in lane 3 (out of 6) so you'd think I'm middle of the pack. Well, turns out I'm the fastest in my lane.....by a lot. I thought about asking to be moved up but in the end it doesn't really matter because lanes 3 and 4 do the same workouts. So I just do my thing and get a little extra rest when I have to let the person I'm about to lap get a little further out

I brought my tennis balls with me to the pool Thursday Damn that's tough!

btw, Stuart you are targeting IMAZ in '15 right? That race looks great. However, all the registration controversy around it has me freaked out. Not only do you have to know a YEAR in advance that you want to do it - you have to figure out a way to be ABLE to register a year in advance. We'll have to see how it plays out but there are some online rumors that even volunteers for '13 aren't getting in for '14. Good luck on getting in! I'll be cheering for you!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-11-18 1:00 PM

2013-11-18 1:15 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Well........... I'm in for AZ for 2014. Not sure what happened. I was planning on not doing another IM until 2015 but then a little peer pressure from some friends, a little waffling from my wife, and I'm signed up to do another IM.

Yes, I paid $1,400 to get in. Not sure I am proud of that. I justify it via the tax write-off and the fact that a trip out to volunteer would certainly cost me more than $700........

I am concerned at the message that all of us just sent WTC about our willingness to spend double the going rate to get in to a popular IM. If I were an executive with them, the wheels would be turning about what the price of general entry slots will be in the future for IMs like AZ, FL and WI. Like I said, not sure I am proud of spending that kind of money but I am excited to have a November IM to train for again. It is so late in the season that it is relatively easy to have two A races in one year.
2013-11-18 3:08 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Randee it sounds like you are making great strides or strokes if you will. As for the tennis balls, I didn’t say it was easy. The question is, did you feel the difference trying to get pull from the whole arm and not just the hands? That’s the goal.

I am hearing all the goings on about registration in AZ. I will watch carefully to see how it all plays out. Fortunately it’s a cheap trip for me. Both my brother and dad live there plus I can write off the trip since I own rental property there. I am sure Nov is a great time to visit my property manager and see the homes!

Jason I agree with your logic. However, I am not married to a WTC event. In fact, that would likely be a consideration for WTC. As the sport grows in popularity and competitors appear, is making the WTC event even more exclusive by price a plus or a minus? Would pushing athletes to a less expensive event only work to boost their popularity?

Knowing I am likely to only get one shot at an IM I am leaning towards a WTC event, but since I am of the belief that anyone who completes an IM distance event is an ironman, I would accept a non WTC event for any number of reasons and be happy with it. At the end of the day, all of the stuff attached to the event notwithstanding, it comes down to athlete vs course.
2013-11-18 3:12 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Randee it sounds like you are making great strides or strokes if you will. As for the tennis balls, I didn’t say it was easy. The question is, did you feel the difference trying to get pull from the whole arm and not just the hands? That’s the goal.

I felt all awkward and off balance LOL

Jason - the things we do for this sport, huh? At least you know no one HERE will judge you (or blame you) because we understand......

ON another note, I really need to find a sponsor who wants to pay me to quit my day job and swim/bike/run and talk about swimming, biking and running all day.

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-11-18 3:13 PM
2013-11-18 3:52 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Jason - the things we do for this sport, huh? At least you know no one HERE will judge you (or blame you) because we understand......

ON another note, I really need to find a sponsor who wants to pay me to quit my day job and swim/bike/run and talk about swimming, biking and running all day.

I've been trying to locate that sponsor for years. So far the only one willing to pay me to train is, well, me.
2013-11-18 5:29 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by wannabefaster Well........... I'm in for AZ for 2014. Not sure what happened. I was planning on not doing another IM until 2015 but then a little peer pressure from some friends, a little waffling from my wife, and I'm signed up to do another IM. Yes, I paid $1,400 to get in. Not sure I am proud of that. I justify it via the tax write-off and the fact that a trip out to volunteer would certainly cost me more than $700........ I am concerned at the message that all of us just sent WTC about our willingness to spend double the going rate to get in to a popular IM. If I were an executive with them, the wheels would be turning about what the price of general entry slots will be in the future for IMs like AZ, FL and WI. Like I said, not sure I am proud of spending that kind of money but I am excited to have a November IM to train for again. It is so late in the season that it is relatively easy to have two A races in one year.

Jason-before we can help you have to admit that you have a problem.

Just kidding of course. Will look forward to following your journey. Looking ahead.... 70.3 WC should be a great warm up for IMAZ and then you will have 11 months to prep for Kona. How does that sound?

2013-11-18 6:24 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randy,

My name is Jason and I have a problem…….

Your scenario sounds nice. But, as I was discussing with someone else, the first three finishers in 40-44 went 8:58, 9:02, 9:05. I'm expecting to be faster this time next year but times like that are currently not realistically in my future. If I am at Kona in 2015 it will probably be as a volunteer.

I like your thinking however. I would very much like to race 70.3 Championships at MT and then prep for AZ. It is good to have goals.
2013-11-18 7:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Now how in the world can swimming with tennis balls in your hands feel awkward? Seriously though, if you are having trouble keeping some semblance of form concentrate on driving the arm down from the shoulders. Keep your elbows up so your hands are entering the water first. The most common mistake I see is dropping the elbows which really messes up the stroke. Hit the water with your hands first and get your shoulders on top of the stroke. I wish I could show you what I am talking about because the words may not make sense.

Don't worry if the recovery is cut a bit short. The hands will want to rise quickly because of the buoyancy of the tennis balls. If you can maintain form it will actually teach you a quicker recovery if you need work on increased cadence.
2013-11-18 7:18 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Medical update: For the first time in over seven months I am off crutches! YEAH!!! I was able to move from two crutches to one on Wed and now I am moving well with just a cane. It will be a few weeks before I can drop the cane but a big milestone for me, maybe more mentally than physically even.

So now I am in negotiations with my doctor on an Aqua-Bike event in April. It is a new super sprint here in town. A 0.35 mi swim and a 9 mile ride. He has vetoed any run but in a few weeks he will give me a decision. I would likely do it anyway but there is no way in the world my wife would let me without his consent. After 40 years of marriage trust me, she carries a lot more sway than my doctor.
2013-11-18 7:25 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by Stuartap Medical update: For the first time in over seven months I am off crutches! YEAH!!! I was able to move from two crutches to one on Wed and now I am moving well with just a cane. It will be a few weeks before I can drop the cane but a big milestone for me, maybe more mentally than physically even. So now I am in negotiations with my doctor on an Aqua-Bike event in April. It is a new super sprint here in town. A 0.35 mi swim and a 9 mile ride. He has vetoed any run but in a few weeks he will give me a decision. I would likely do it anyway but there is no way in the world my wife would let me without his consent. After 40 years of marriage trust me, she carries a lot more sway than my doctor.

That's great news Stuart. Also, you are a wise man for heeding the wisdom of your wife. The alternative never ends well.

2013-11-18 8:55 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Seven months on crutches? That has got to be harder than any IM ever done! Congratulations on the progress.

2013-11-19 5:57 AM

User image

Master
Jason, yes I did! Olympic result was 3:34:53. My swim time included the swim from the start back to the pier and T1 time, so no idea how that really went, BUT it was a wonderful experience. The water seemed almost lusciously comfortable and was the bluest of blues. Distractingly beautiful. I was petrified for the hour I stared the swim course down before the race. It seemed so big, and so deep! Once I got into the water, all my fear melted away.

Lots of swells and contact with other swimmers, but it didn't bother me at all. Just swam.

On the bike I had a crazy experience that I chalk up to local superstition. I had a mechanical issue I couldn't figure out and had the weirdest sensation of not knowing if I was going up or down a hill! Overall it was comfortable. TOO comfortable, I think.

The run went way better than I expected. I started with the usual discomfort in my calves that lasts at least 1.5 miles, but as they relaxed I was able to pick up my pace and finish stronger than I started.

Great race overall. Beautiful course on a beautiful island with beautiful people!

1st picture, if you look in the upper right corner for 4 white dots, that's the swim course. 2nd one was part of the run course. The canopy of tree branches was such a relief from the blazing sun!

Edited by Blanda 2013-11-19 6:02 AM

(966737_10151769920903443_259511738_o.jpg)

(903501_10151769919043443_1373227284_o.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
966737_10151769920903443_259511738_o.jpg (240KB - 7 downloads)
903501_10151769919043443_1373227284_o.jpg (309KB - 3 downloads)
2013-11-19 8:14 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Blanda

Jason, yes I did! Olympic result was 3:34:53. My swim time included the swim from the start back to the pier and T1 time, so no idea how that really went, BUT it was a wonderful experience. The water seemed almost lusciously comfortable and was the bluest of blues. Distractingly beautiful. I was petrified for the hour I stared the swim course down before the race. It seemed so big, and so deep! Once I got into the water, all my fear melted away.

Lots of swells and contact with other swimmers, but it didn't bother me at all. Just swam.

On the bike I had a crazy experience that I chalk up to local superstition. I had a mechanical issue I couldn't figure out and had the weirdest sensation of not knowing if I was going up or down a hill! Overall it was comfortable. TOO comfortable, I think.

The run went way better than I expected. I started with the usual discomfort in my calves that lasts at least 1.5 miles, but as they relaxed I was able to pick up my pace and finish stronger than I started.

Great race overall. Beautiful course on a beautiful island with beautiful people!

1st picture, if you look in the upper right corner for 4 white dots, that's the swim course. 2nd one was part of the run course. The canopy of tree branches was such a relief from the blazing sun!

Congrats! OMG that water is SO BLUE!!! Looks beautiful!
2013-11-19 8:28 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Blanda-great job. Thanks for the pictures. Stunningly beautiful.

I have a couple of electronics questions:

First, my Garmin 310xt seems to be working fine other than it will not transmit data to my computer. I have tried everything I can find online and nothing has worked. Need to be able to download data and need a new HRM while I'm at it. Tempted to just get another 310XT since they have come way down in price but was wondering what everyone else is using. Any suggestions? The Garmin 910xt seems to be a step up but I really don't care about the GPS during the swim feature that the 910xt provides. 

Second, I'm looking to buy my wife a computer tablet. She is not very computer savy and the only thing she uses her netbook for is some internet surfing....nothing else...no movies, games etc. Her current netbook is on its last legs. Both my kids have Ipads and I know they are good but was looking for something cheaper that would fit her needs as I think the Ipad is overkill for her.  Thoughts/experience? 

Thanks

2013-11-19 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by slornow

First, my Garmin 310xt seems to be working fine other than it will not transmit data to my computer. I have tried everything I can find online and nothing has worked. Need to be able to download data and need a new HRM while I'm at it. Tempted to just get another 310XT since they have come way down in price but was wondering what everyone else is using. Any suggestions? The Garmin 910xt seems to be a step up but I really don't care about the GPS during the swim feature that the 910xt provides. 

Second, I'm looking to buy my wife a computer tablet. She is not very computer savy and the only thing she uses her netbook for is some internet surfing....nothing else...no movies, games etc. Her current netbook is on its last legs. Both my kids have Ipads and I know they are good but was looking for something cheaper that would fit her needs as I think the Ipad is overkill for her.  Thoughts/experience? 

Thanks

I've had a similar problem with my 310xt, and Garmin suggested this procedure, which worked for me. Warning, it does reset the watch, so make sure you've gotten your workouts off it, first:
1. Back up your data on Garmin Connect or Garmin Training Center because this will delete all your data

2. Turn off the unit

3. Press and hold the Mode button

4. Turn on the unit while hold the Mode button

5. When it comes up and ask you "Do you really want to erase all user data?" choose ‘Yes’

6. Now your unit will think it is a brand new unit.

As far as tablets go, I'd check out the Nexus 7. It's a solid tablet, with a great screen, and a good deal cheaper than the iPad. Here's a good review from a tech site I go to a lot: http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/26/4558626/google-nexus-7-review-201...
2013-11-19 8:45 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

As far as tablets go, I'd check out the Nexus 7. It's a solid tablet, with a great screen, and a good deal cheaper than the iPad. Here's a good review from a tech site I go to a lot: http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/26/4558626/google-nexus-7-review-201...

While I agree 100% with the Nexus suggestion I find that people who are used to Apple products, LIKE Apple products. If there are apps on the kids Ipads she likes, there will probably be comparable Android apps but no guarantees they'll be the same (they could be better )

my second choice for a non techie person is the Samsung Galaxy Tabs - they are available at Costco - usually bundled with a case and you get Costco's stellar return policy - 90 days on electronics.

http://www.costco.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-3-Wi-Fi-Tablet-%7c-Dual-Co...

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-11-19 8:47 AM

2013-11-19 9:36 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by WoodrowCall
Originally posted by slornow

Thanks

I've had a similar problem with my 310xt, and Garmin suggested this procedure, which worked for me. Warning, it does reset the watch, so make sure you've gotten your workouts off it, first: 1. Back up your data on Garmin Connect or Garmin Training Center because this will delete all your data 2. Turn off the unit 3. Press and hold the Mode button 4. Turn on the unit while hold the Mode button 5. When it comes up and ask you "Do you really want to erase all user data?" choose ‘Yes’ 6. Now your unit will think it is a brand new unit. As far as tablets go, I'd check out the Nexus 7. It's a solid tablet, with a great screen, and a good deal cheaper than the iPad. Here's a good review from a tech site I go to a lot: http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/26/4558626/google-nexus-7-review-201...

Jamie-thanks for the info on the 310XT. I think I have done this before.. "a hard reset" but will give it a try tonight.

2013-11-19 9:39 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Thanks for the Tablet suggestions. Keep them coming. My wife does not use the computer for pictures, music, movies, word processing, apps etc. Literally just for the occasional web surfing. We just got her doing email last year. She does have an iphone but I don't think she has a single app downloaded on there  

2013-11-19 11:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Blanda how in the world could you race in a place as beautiful as that. I would be too busy enjoying the view. Great job.

Randy, I own both a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 and an IPad. When I travel I take the Galaxy. I can do anything I need to including working on docs, spreadsheets etc and daily business banking. I know that's more than your wife needs. However, for online browsing and email it is every bit as good as my IPad but much better priced (or was at the time at least). In fact, my daughter used the IPad more than I do.

2013-11-19 5:57 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Blanda,

Fantastic race in an otherworldly location.

I'm with Stuart; I don't know how I would race in someplace so beautiful. Way too distracting. I prefer to race on the asphalt and grunge of the Tempe highways……….
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88