Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 125

2024-02-18 1:33 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
@Mike. Nice work ticking those workouts off, Keep it up.

@Gretchen. At least you're getting good value out of your pool membership Hopefully nice clean MRI images means they can get a quick, accurate diagnosis and get whatever treatment you're going to need going ASAP. And great attitude continuing to push through with all the injury stuff going on in the background. I likely would have packed a sad by now. Any luck getting TP and Wahoo to talk to each other?

@Me:

Got a nice productive weekend.
Friday evening was an easy half hour treadmill jog
Saturday was the big day. Morning I did a 2 hour Z2 long run, spent the middle of the day sweating it out doing yard work and 90 minutes, with some 105% FTP intervals, on zwift in the evening.
Sunday, Housework in the morning. Took Mr 6 to the local school to ride his bike. Big break through there, his training wheels are now gone, very excited. And a 40 minute interval run on the treadmill in the evening.

9 hours total SBR for the week:
Swim: 0
Bike, x2, 3 hours (all zwift)
Run, x7, 46 km, 6 hours
S&M, x2 stretching sessions.

That's a 3 week cycle done. Ready for a bit of a cutback week this week, and a complete day off today.

Hope everyone else is doing well

2024-02-19 6:22 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

@Andrew:  great week, keep chugging along - gotta find that pool sometime!! 

@Gretchen:  fingers crossed on MRI results

Got in a really solid week, a tad short on the swim workouts because of logistics issues but completed every workout.  Very triathlon-y. 

2 swims, ~ 3K yards, 1.25 hours
5 bikes, 69 miles, 3.5 hours
3 runs, ~ 10 miles, 1.75 hours
4 strength/yoga/PT, 3.5 hours (yes that's a lot but it's working)
Total TSS = 528 (most since the end of August)

Yesterday's run was a little chilly with wind chills in the low 20s, but felt great after getting warmed up.  My daughter and I held about a 10:20 pace for those 4 miles and I kept my HR in zone 2. 

Really glad to have an off day today.  More of the same this week with slight increases in volume across the tri sports.

2024-02-19 11:28 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
@Mike--I'm super jealous of your strength time! Four hours is amazing! I struggle to find time for 1:30 a week.

@Andrew--Harry has let me down. He thought I was working in the Wahoo Element app (I'm not...Wahoo fitness). He went radio silent on me after I told him this, which is super annoying. It was bad enough trading emails every 24 hours with him to try to fix the issue, but this is just ridiculous. I'm going to put a little time into working on it this evening. The weekend slipped away from me a bit and I should have gotten it done, but didn't. So far, I'm just adjusting the trainer manually via the wahoo app, which is annoying, but no more so than adjusting the shifting to get more/less resistance on the bike on trainer.

New week--new hope that things are going to get back to normal soon (false hope?--dunno). I actually enjoyed an entirely pain free day yesterday, so that was a real plus! I enjoyed that tremendously. My wife was none too pleased, however, when I suggested I could run on the track at the gym today since I didn't have any pain. Needless to say...I did not run on the track at the gym. :D. I had another early morning triple--2600yds with masters, then 40' of aqua jogging with some fartlek intervals (wherein I just splashed a lot and looked like a dying seal), and then about 45' of weight lifting. Holding strong with the patiently waiting to hear whether we'll need to amputate my leg until my Wednesday appointment. Prepare yourself for the worst and everything else will seem okay...right?
2024-02-19 2:19 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@Mike. Nice week, hope you're enjoying the rest day. As for your strength hours being a lot, most people don't come back from back issues like you've had. You're doing what you need to do to keep the body working and that's awesome.

@Gretchen. I'm not angry at Harry, I'm just disappointed. Now, I know nothing about the wahoo app, but can you download a .fit file from training peaks of your workout and manually upload it to wahoo? Also, have you reached out to training peaks tech support? they may be more help than Harry. It might end up being worth joining zwift just to get things to synch up. You can always run it on a small screen and ignore the game part of things if you're not into it.

I'm sure they'll only have to amputate below the knee, you'll be running on a stump by the end of the week. Haha, No you're right, plan for the worst but hope for the best.

Rest day for me, easy Z2 treadmill run planned for tonight to kick off the week.

Nat/Nicole/DQ.... How's everyone doing?
2024-02-20 12:46 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Great week Andrew and Mike, at least, I am not the only one who can’t find the pool. I am waiting for the lake to thaw.
Like Gretchen, I am envious of your 4 hours strength training, I am happy if I manage 4 hours a month.
Gretchen, hoping for good news (or not so bad news), but you seem to have mastered the art of aqua jogging.

Nothing much to report from here, weeks are ticking along, 4 or 5 hours of training, nothing spectacular. I am trying to organise to play some floorball (ice hockey without ice, not land hockey) with some peeps from work. Been saying this for years but now I am making it happen, we’ll play either this weekend or next week. Which will give me time to recover from an inevitable injury before my first race at the end of May.

2024-02-20 7:21 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl  I am trying to organise to play some floorball (ice hockey without ice, not land hockey) with some peeps from work. Been saying this for years but now I am making it happen, we’ll play either this weekend or next week. Which will give me time to recover from an inevitable injury before my first race at the end of May.

I played floor hockey in college...it was a blast and took WAY less equipment than ice hockey, though some of those 8 AM games on Saturday mornings were a little rough.  We didn't even wear helmets or face guards which I imagine is more prevalent nowadays.  Have fun!

2024-02-20 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

90 minutes down in the Pain Cave this morning, 30 bike / 30 run / 30 strength core.  Leg speed is getting there on the run.  Based on last week's results I'm going to shift my VO2 max bike to Friday and my endurance ride to Wednesday so I don't flame out on my Thursday tempo run.  It'll work better with my work schedule as well.

I was looking through my logs from 10 years ago - good grief I put in a lot of volume building to an Oly.  Routinely 12-13 hours a week with significant intensity and TSS in the 650-700 range.  Wish I still had that resilience but just happy to be rolling along at soon-to-be-55. 

2024-02-20 7:54 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Rollergirl  I am trying to organise to play some floorball (ice hockey without ice, not land hockey) with some peeps from work. Been saying this for years but now I am making it happen, we’ll play either this weekend or next week. Which will give me time to recover from an inevitable injury before my first race at the end of May.

I played floor hockey in college...it was a blast and took WAY less equipment than ice hockey, though some of those 8 AM games on Saturday mornings were a little rough.  We didn't even wear helmets or face guards which I imagine is more prevalent nowadays.  Have fun!

Floor hockey sounds a lot more violent than my floorball. The only one wearing a helmet and protective clothing is the goalie, outfield players sometimes wear protective eyewear, that's all.

2024-02-20 9:41 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Floor hockey sounds a lot more violent than my floorball. The only one wearing a helmet and protective clothing is the goalie, outfield players sometimes wear protective eyewear, that's all.

The only reason I would think helmets/face protection would be necessary is from the ball.  Our floor hockey was non-contact and I wouldn't consider it violent at all.  Some pickup basketball games I played in were more tougher. 

2024-02-20 11:07 AM

User image

Expert

Greetings. I’m in the process of buying a mini Cooper. I’d love your help in coming up with a tri themed license plate. Here’s a start

Imman
Heman
Triman
Triguy

What good ideas do you guys have. The more the better

User image

Expert

Greetings. I’m in the process of buying a mini Cooper. I’d love your help in coming up with a tri themed license plate. Here’s a start

Imman
Heman
Triman
Triguy

User image

Expert

Imman
Heman
Triman
Triguy

User image

Expert

Imman
Heman
Triman
Triguy

2024-02-20 1:28 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Originally posted by Rollergirl

The only reason I would think helmets/face protection would be necessary is from the ball.  Our floor hockey was non-contact and I wouldn't consider it violent at all.  Some pickup basketball games I played in were more tougher. 

Back in the long, long, long time ago when I was a kid we used to play a floor hockey game most weeks at Venturers. That was absolutely full contact. Of course that might be more to do with being played by a group of teenage boys than how the game is supposed to be played.

My lack of hand eye coordination is of course why I don't do that stuff anymore and pretend to do triathlons now.
2024-02-20 1:40 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
@FitNat, Nothing wrong with things just ticking along at 4-5 hours/week. Especially in the middle of a Scandinavian winter Keep on keeping on.

@Mike. Nice pain cave workout. 12-13 hours/week for an olympic is a big number by anyone's measure. People do Ironmans on less than that. There's no shame in training differently to what you did a decade ago. Of course, if you're like me it's a constant struggle to not compare your times/speeds with what you did at the peak of your powers.

@DQ, Enjoy the new car. But you realise, if you get yourself an Ironman themed license plate, you're going to be obligated to do another Ironman.

ME,

30 minute easy treadmill run, and a stretch/foam roll session Tuesday night.
Up at dark-o'clock this morning for a 50ish minute fartlek run. I know I've said it before, but mixing up the paces does keep things more interesting. All going to plan will be on the bike for a zwift ride tonight. I think sweet spot intervals today.
2024-02-20 7:26 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

So, DQ.  Did you buy four Mini Coopers, one for each posting?? 

I like "trimph"  - yes I know that's another British car line (and yes I know the British-themed and marketed Cooper is actually owned by Belgian Motor Works, which is somehow German - Europe!!!). 

2024-02-21 12:51 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

(and yes I know the British-themed and marketed Cooper is actually owned by Belgian Motor Works, which is somehow German - Europe!!!). 

We’re one big happy family over here (well, the Brits dislike the French, the French make fun of the Belgians, the Danes don’t like the Swedes and everyone hates the Germans )

Wednesday! Will be thinking of you Gretchen (it’s today, right?). Not running intervals with my club today as they going to run in the forest with a headlamp and I don’t want to do that. So hills repeats on my own.
Tomorrow, no spin class as we are going to hockey. Top game between my team and the team who recently passed us and are leading on points (with one more game played)
I will replace with a quick and intense Zwift during my lunch break tomorrow and a short run on Friday.

2024-02-21 8:20 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Sorry about the mass posting of my last message. No clue why it repeated 5 times. Apologies
2024-02-21 8:30 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by Qua17

Imman
Heman
Triman
Triguy

Of your options, my favorite is TriGuy...

Having no ideas about the rules for license plates in your state I humbly toss in...
Tri1406
Feman (Fe being the chemical symbol for Iron; also recognizing this might suggest you're a FTM transexual)

In the vein of having things read a little out of the way you intended them to be read, I'd suggest avoiding Inman. It is very close to Imam, which is a Muslim religious leader. I am all for not modifying my behaviors to accommodate bigotry, but you don't want your car to get trashed because some racist can't read.
2024-02-21 8:34 AM

User image

Expert

So, DQ.  Did you buy four Mini Coopers, one for each posting?? 

I like "trimph"  - yes I know that's another British car line (and yes I know the British-themed and marketed Cooper is actually owned by Belgian Motor Works, which is somehow German - Europe!!!). 

Im not that familiar with Triumphs. I've just loved Minis since that first Bourne movie where he drives it down a stairwell. That scene was awesome - hence my love. And the one I bought last night has all the bells and whistles I'm looking for. They are adding stripes on him today. Heres a pic

As for the plate, I'd like to do 1 more IM but what I really wanna do are half irons. I love that distance. But right now I need to be walking every other day. Hey - any more clever triathlon license plate ideas?

Attachments
----------------
D2C3E0F7-DE28-4600-9991-53461A4585D1.jpeg (3599KB - 12 downloads)
2024-02-21 8:40 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Having a weird week here--everything is too easy and working too well and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Yesterday I did and hour Z2 ride and then 36' of aqua jogging in the morning. In the afternoon I had a bike fit, which added another hour or so of riding in fits and starts. This morning I was up for masters (2350 yds) and then 35' of aqua jogging. Later this afternoon I have an hour Tempo ride scheduled. I was planning to do a Ramp test to set new training zones, but the fitter said to do a few lower intensity rides to get used to the new position before I tried anything hard, so I shuffled a few things around to now have my ramp test. on Saturday.

Bike fit--fun times. I kinda like just sitting around the bake shop talking and learning about bikes and cycling. Too bad this particular shop is 90' from my house. It is near the bike trail I do a lot of my long rides on though. It is actually across the street from the bus depot I nearly died in last summer after getting super lost on a 105F (~40C) degree day when I decided to do a long ride without a sufficient amount of water to carry me through getting totally and completely lost. I had to beg a construction worker to let me fill my bottles from a hose they were using to mix concrete. He didn't want to, but I told him he was either going to let me fill my bottles or they were going to be using that hose to cool my body after I collapsed. I suppose I should have looked around and I would have seen the shop and their fancy outdoor hydration station. :D. Anyway, fit went well--a few minor tweaks that really helped comfort. Seat got lowered about a cm, elbow rests moved forward a touch, while aerobats were brought back some, and then the biggest thing was switching out the stem for a shorter one.

Nat is right--today is the big day--doctor day! I'm excited to find out what is going on with my leg! Of course, since I swapped out running for aqua jogging, the pain in my leg has dramatically reduced (not completely gone though).

2024-02-21 6:55 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Gretchen: Just wanting to wish you luck for your MRI results today. Hoping for the best.

Last night I did an hour on zwift with some sweet spot intervals and watched the cricket (NZ vs Australia, unfortunately we lost off the final ball. Think leading by 2 with 1 second left to play and conceding a 3 point buzzer beater in the NBA... so annoying) This morning was a 45 minute Z2 treadmill jog. Ticking things along.

Also, big commitment day today. Entries for the Auckland Marathon opened yesterday, and this morning my fate was sealed and entry has been bought and paid for. Guess I'm now officially a runner until November.
2024-02-21 7:41 PM
in reply to: #5287956

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
The results are in! MRI shows just a mild amount of swelling and fluid retention in the lower leg. Doc says to rest until I’m pain free for a week (good news…I’m already four days in to pain free!). He also scheduled me a PT evaluation to look at my running biomechanics, which is what I wanted from a running coach but could never find a local coach, so…score.

On the not as great side, I’ve decided the Illini marathon is not a good idea. It was a training carrot to improve my run fitness for my two A races in August and I do not want to jeopardize those races. Defeated by the frankin-plan!! I’ll be scaling back to the IM training plan run schedule and making a conscious effort to do some of those runs on the track at the gym (soft surface).
2024-02-21 8:30 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by drfoodlove
I’ll be scaling back to the IM training plan

Scaling back to an Ironman plan. Lol. This is why you're known as the machine.

Great news though. No fracture, no surgery, little bit of rest and good to go.

Sounds like a wise call to ditch the marathon. Hopefully though, the big run block you've already done gives your run fitness a bit of a boost like you wanted.
2024-02-22 12:39 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPENr
Great news Gretchen! I hope you do rest the extra few days until the pain has all gone, as the doc recommended. A few more days of aqua jogging will be worth it!

Andrew, sorry about that last ball defeat. I like games like that, exciting, but only when my team wins at the end of course. Talking of teams, big game tonight, my Lakers are playing the current leaders. If we win this, we take back our lead (and hopefully keep it till the end of the regular season. Doesn’t mean we would automatically win the playoffs of course, but that would be nice to have home advantage all the way)

Didn’t want to run with my group last night as they were venturing out on narrow, tricky trails in the forest at night with a headlamp. Not interested.
Instead I did some hills repeats on a safe surface on my own, which I was quite pleased about.

Couldn’t sort out some floorball this weekend but I have booked next weekend, it is happening! Yeah!

New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 125

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland