BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-04-05 8:07 AM
in reply to: #4687675

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed
Qua17 - 2013-04-05 6:45 AM

Hi BDASers:

First the good news...  there is nothing wrong with my plumbing.  My prostate is cancer free and everything is in working order.  

Now the bad news - I know this because yesterday I had the joy of having a probe shoved where you would least want it... Yes thereEmbarassed.  While I was thrilled that nothing was wrong and while the pictures were absolutely fascinating - it was something I never want to go through again...  

Due to lingering soreness - I'm off the bike for a day or two more and then I've got to figure it all out.  The problems must be caused by the time I'm spending on the bike... So, I'm gonna have to continue to tweak my approach to avoid the reoccurring prostatitis.  I've already bought a new seat and I'm taking ibuprophin..., I'm going in to have a fitting... but there has got to be something else for me to try.  Any ideas?

Finally - my doctor said "if the problems don't go away, you might have to give up the biking..." Really not thrilled by this statement... but if I have to give it up (and I have zero intentions or desire to do so = I LOVE my bike),

I PROMISE TO COMPLETE MY IRONMAN first.  Then I will quit.

Cancer free is a big deal. Awesome news.

2013-04-05 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4687654

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
bobddsmd - 2013-04-05 6:59 AM

Good morning all,

Well, in honor of Alex and David I did yoga/p90x stretch this am. Bike is mounted on the car and bags are packed. Before my races I have my kids mark my chest with a sharpy. It is for words of encouragement. They get a kick out of it and so do I. My wife also gets in the spirit. It looks pretty crazy. I also plan to write BDAS on my hand. If I am having a tough time I am going to look at that and know what you guys have gone through this year and I know that will help me to press on. Therefore you guys will be with me on this race.

Bye for now.

You have a great race Bobby.  Make sure you enjoy every single one of the 70.3 miles.  You will be thinking of the BDAS on rough times, well I think I can speak for everyone here by saying we will be cheering you on from our homes and sending good wishes to you.  You have put in the work and now is the time to reap the rewards.  You got this Bobby!  Have a great time and a tasty cold beer at the finish line.  

2013-04-05 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
bobddsmd - 2013-04-05 4:59 AM

Good morning all,

Well, in honor of Alex and David I did yoga/p90x stretch this am. Bike is mounted on the car and bags are packed. Before my races I have my kids mark my chest with a sharpy. It is for words of encouragement. They get a kick out of it and so do I. My wife also gets in the spirit. It looks pretty crazy. I also plan to write BDAS on my hand. If I am having a tough time I am going to look at that and know what you guys have gone through this year and I know that will help me to press on. Therefore you guys will be with me on this race.

Bye for now.

Kick !!

2013-04-05 8:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Qua17 - 2013-04-05 7:45 AM

Hi BDASers:

First the good news...  there is nothing wrong with my plumbing.  My prostate is cancer free and everything is in working order.  

Now the bad news - I know this because yesterday I had the joy of having a probe shoved where you would least want it... Yes thereEmbarassed.  While I was thrilled that nothing was wrong and while the pictures were absolutely fascinating - it was something I never want to go through again...  

Due to lingering soreness - I'm off the bike for a day or two more and then I've got to figure it all out.  The problems must be caused by the time I'm spending on the bike... So, I'm gonna have to continue to tweak my approach to avoid the reoccurring prostatitis.  I've already bought a new seat and I'm taking ibuprophin..., I'm going in to have a fitting... but there has got to be something else for me to try.  Any ideas?

Finally - my doctor said "if the problems don't go away, you might have to give up the biking..." Really not thrilled by this statement... but if I have to give it up (and I have zero intentions or desire to do so = I LOVE my bike),

I agree that cancer free is a great report.  As for the ibuprophin , my ortho suggested Alieve since it has a much longer half life.  2 in the AM and 2 in the PM.  Ibuprophin has only roughly a 2 hour half life and taking enough to maintain would be taking them like skittles which isn't good for the body.  Aleive has the same anti inflamitory effects plus is easy on the body.  Don't treat this as gospel just repeating what my doctor told me.  YMMV

Don't anyone give me any flak about my spelling  The wife isn't here for me to shout out my famous "honey how do you spell ___ ) "  

2013-04-05 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Illinois

I've already bought a new seat and I'm taking ibuprophin..., I'm going in to have a fitting... but there has got to be something else for me to try.  Any ideas?

[...]

What saddle are you using now?

2013-04-05 11:12 AM
in reply to: #4687846

User image

Connecticut
Burd - 2013-04-05 9:44 AM
Qua17 - 2013-04-05 7:45 AM

Hi BDASers:

I agree that cancer free is a great report.  As for the ibuprophin , my ortho suggested Alieve since it has a much longer half life.  2 in the AM and 2 in the PM.  Ibuprophin has only roughly a 2 hour half life and taking enough to maintain would be taking them like skittles which isn't good for the body.  Aleive has the same anti inflamitory effects plus is easy on the body.  Don't treat this as gospel just repeating what my doctor told me.  YMMV

Don't anyone give me any flak about my spelling  The wife isn't here for me to shout out my famous "honey how do you spell ___ ) "  

I agree with Alex. Alieve has worked longer and is more effective in my experience.  Cancer free is AMAZING! great news

2013-04-05 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
bobddsmd - 2013-04-05 5:59 AM

Good morning all,

Bye for now.

Go get 'em Bobby!  You will do great and look good doing it! 

2013-04-05 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Hi BDASers:

Find a doctor that rides!!!!

2013-04-05 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Did my first master's swim on Wednesday; pretty cool and they guys invited me to run, bike, run with them on Sat morning at 0630. 

This is mental midget time...I wanna go but one I am exhausted!  To meet them at 0630 I need to leave my house by 0545...ON A SATURDAY! and the other thing is they run like 8 min miles!  Probably because they get up at 0630 to run together!  

2013-04-05 12:19 PM
in reply to: #4688232

User image

Connecticut
SportzVision - 2013-04-05 1:03 PM

Did my first master's swim on Wednesday; pretty cool and they guys invited me to run, bike, run with them on Sat morning at 0630. 

This is mental midget time...I wanna go but one I am exhausted!  To meet them at 0630 I need to leave my house by 0545...ON A SATURDAY! and the other thing is they run like 8 min miles!  Probably because they get up at 0630 to run together!  

It'll be tough but I'm sure you will surprise yourself with what you can do.Good luck!
2013-04-05 2:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Score! picked up a 1 piece Zoot tri suit today for $63 including tax! Now if I can heal I will be good to go for a race....

2013-04-05 5:30 PM
in reply to: #4687965

User image

Expert
mirthfuldragon - 2013-04-05 9:42 AM

I've already bought a new seat and I'm taking ibuprophin..., I'm going in to have a fitting... but there has got to be something else for me to try.  Any ideas?

[...]

What saddle are you using now?

An ISM Adamo... Here's the link http://www.ismseat.com/saddle/adamo-road

Based upon the amount of weight I feel on my plumbing when I'm riding - I'm stumped as to why I ache after a ride.  I'd love any advice you have. 

Thanks!

Edited by Qua17 2013-04-05 5:30 PM
2013-04-05 6:57 PM
in reply to: #4688232

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
SportzVision - 2013-04-05 11:03 AM

Good job on the swim.  As far as running with other people, whether it is running, cycling, golfing, racquetball or any other sport, I always find it is better to practice with people better than you, because it pushes you to be that much better.  Just my thought on the subject.  

2013-04-05 8:15 PM
in reply to: #4688884

User image

Expert
jlangene - 2013-04-05 6:57 PM
SportzVision - 2013-04-05 11:03 AM

Good job on the swim.  As far as running with other people, whether it is running, cycling, golfing, racquetball or any other sport, I always find it is better to practice with people better than you, because it pushes you to be that much better.  Just my thought on the subject.  

x2... but in truth 5:45 is never too early to go kick a little butt!  Wish I could find a masters class that fit my schedule.  Is it the real deal? 

2013-04-06 4:27 PM
in reply to: #4688934

User image

Expert

Hey BDASers!  Hope you all are enjoying a nice Saturday.  It's a cool but beautiful spring day here... I spent the day getting errands done and even went and bought a new pair of running shoes.  I'm usually an asiacs guy - but the pair of brooks they put on my feet felt awesome!

I'm still on the DL - While the pain from the scope has gotten a little better, it still hurts to pee.  So much so that I haven't had a beer the last three days (so you know it has to be bad)... Hoping it gets better so I can get out for a walk/run tomorrow.

I need to be more like Alex and figure out a way to get it done.

Prost!

2013-04-06 5:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
3.5 hour ride today, playing with my road bike for the first time this year.  45 miles, bucking a nasty headwind (14 to 18mph gusts) the last 15 miles.  Rough, but great.

2013-04-06 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Good pre-race day. Thanks for the good wishes everyone. Just got done putting my families initials, BDAS, and Pray/enjoy on my right hand with a sharpie. All set to race! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!
2013-04-06 9:24 PM
in reply to: #4689553

User image

Expert

mirthfuldragon - 2013-04-06 5:39 PM 3.5 hour ride today, playing with my road bike for the first time this year.  45 miles, bucking a nasty headwind (14 to 18mph gusts) the last 15 miles.  Rough, but great.

AWESOME! Nothing like a great ride you can be proud of!  What beer did you celebrate with?

2013-04-06 9:30 PM
in reply to: #4689687

User image

Expert

bobddsmd - 2013-04-06 9:04 PM Good pre-race day. Thanks for the good wishes everyone. Just got done putting my families initials, BDAS, and Pray/enjoy on my right hand with a sharpie. All set to race! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!

Proud of you - way to lead the pack into race season!  Do yourself proud and enjoy every minute!

2013-04-06 9:34 PM
in reply to: #4689687

User image

Expert

bobddsmd - 2013-04-06 9:04 PM Good pre-race day. Thanks for the good wishes everyone. Just got done putting my families initials, BDAS, and Pray/enjoy on my right hand with a sharpie. All set to race! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow!

You have worked so hard.  You deserve to enjoy every minute of tomorrow's race.  All that Karma you built up supporting everyone in the group is gonna pay off big time tomorrow!

Enjoy every minute of it!

2013-04-06 9:40 PM
in reply to: #4689707

User image

Expert

So I asked around about what to do about the excruciating urination I've been experiencing and the consensus was drink more water.  The idea of peeing a lot scared the out of me (so to speak Laughing) so I covered myself by taking a nice dose of Codeine I don't know if the water or the Codeine is at work - but I feel so much better.  It might also have to do with the 1/2 bottle of wine.  Not safe, I know.  BUt the idea of peeing really scared me.  

I need to  get back on the straight and narrow next week.  My eating has been ok but my exercise is not what I would like it to be.  I might need someone to come kick my a$$

2013-04-07 7:16 AM
in reply to: #4689713

User image

Connecticut
Qua17 - 2013-04-06 10:40 PM

So I asked around about what to do about the excruciating urination I've been experiencing and the consensus was drink more water.  The idea of peeing a lot scared the out of me (so to speak Laughing) so I covered myself by taking a nice dose of Codeine I don't know if the water or the Codeine is at work - but I feel so much better.  It might also have to do with the 1/2 bottle of wine.  Not safe, I know.  BUt the idea of peeing really scared me.  

I need to  get back on the straight and narrow next week.  My eating has been ok but my exercise is not what I would like it to be.  I might need someone to come kick my a$$

It's only a 2.5hr drive from ct and I wear a size 14 shoe. That would be a pretty large kick in the a$$. Ha haThe weather is finally getting better next week so the timing is just right.
2013-04-07 7:51 AM
in reply to: #4689713

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Qua17 - 2013-04-06 10:40 PM

Question: Did you log that bottle of wine?  Answer: No HAHA

Questions: Did you log that good eating? Answer No, LOL

I am a fortune teller and I see a visit from Lenny and a size 14 boot in your future.  You know I'm kidding but this is just a friendly reminder to pick back up the logging.  You have done so well and got so far with the weight loss don't slack off now.  So close to the final goal.  Plus you have like a million LoseIt badges

2013-04-07 9:55 AM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Holy smokes, I felt like crap yesterday!  We had my youngest son's 6th birthday party and had lots of friends over and it was a lot of fun, but I must have some type of bug, because, I was miserable all day and didn't get my jog in, which made me feel even worse!  Anyhow, I also found out yesterday, that I am not going to be able to do the Milkman Triathlon on June 1st, because our friends son is graduating that same day.  Normally wouldn't matter, but I promised to help them cook for the reception and party.  Well looks like my first sprint will have to wait until July when we have the Lake City Tri!  Anyway, hope everyone is doing well.  I hope my stomach feels better this afternoon so I can get a run in.  
2013-04-07 4:00 PM
in reply to: #4689992

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Mini-duathlon today, with my wife:  3 mile run to the gym, 1,000 yard swim (got kicked out of the pool by a class they were having), 3 mile run back home.  My wife is still struggling on the run, so the pace was pretty slow, but she did really well, and I am proud of her.

Yesterday I broke a spoke on my long ride, so now I am awaiting a new tool kit from performance bike so I can pull the cassette and change the spoke.  Yay, tools, yay, greasy.  

I have an honest question for everyone, or perhaps a topic for discussion.  Listing to everyone, and reading the posts, it seems that everyone here regularly has medium- or high-level physical issues the prevent or substantially hinder training.  

For me, 95% of my issues are purely psychological - some life stress triggers depression / apathy / anger / f*%& the world / etc., and I just don't feel like working out.  I have had exactly two physical problems that caused training issues - a shoulder strain from overuse when I was starting swimming, and a strained ankle.

Now, my question or debate topic is this:  are we training too hard?  I have read a ton of articles on this subject, and I strive to and struggle with keeping my workouts easy - zones 1 and 2, for the most part, with occasional zone 4 and 5 intervals in very small amounts, largely to keep things interesting (i.e., a short standing climb in a big gear up this hill, a half mile sprint in the middle of my medium run,etc.).

Especially in triathlon, where the sport is so much about endurance, are we training too hard?

Another example:  on Trainer Road, my virtual power FTP is 180 watts, so for the long workouts, the average wattage is between 110 and maybe 125, which leaves my heart rate around 120bpm - which is around 600 calories per hour and a pace I could spend all day at - I'm not even all that sweaty afterward.

So, how do you train, and why?

For me, the only struggle in my workouts is checking my ego at the door and going slow, and building aerobic base - zones 1 and 2, keeping it light, and trying to not get bored, and trying to fit everything in to my schedule.  On the run, it's all z2 running.  On the bike, I'm following a trainer road plan, which is probably 85% z1/z2 stuff.  On the swim, I just try to find time to hit the water and focus on form.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97