Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 125

2024-02-28 8:04 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Swim with Masters this morning. In total it was 2250yds, but the main set was 6x100 butt busters (bbs), each within 3" of the first, or you had to redo it. Ugh...it was a tough workout, but done (and I did't have to redo any 100s!). We have a new guy swimming with us and he is just putting everyone to shame. He wants to walk on to a college swim team, so today he was swimming 100s in 53". I have no idea if that is anything near good enough to get on a college swim team, but our fast guys swim the 100 in about 1:10 or so, and he is just blowing them out of the water. Neither one of them is happy about it either. Both of them are really nice guys, but they are super competitive, especially within their lane. It is kinda fun to watch.

Later today, 60' Z2 ride. I was hoping to do it outside, but the weather changed and it is back to the mid-30s (c. 1C) and WINDY. I think we're having sustained 35mph winds right now. Gotta get the ride in early, as today is my wife's birthday.

My student passed her defense and dissertation yesterday, both with distinction, which is something we don't give out in our department very often. I'm super proud of her...and also, very happy it is over, because this one was a lot of work!

2024-02-28 8:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN

Pool twinsies, Gretchen, though I extended by cool down another 50 yards to 2300.  Like you, lots of 100s holding a particular pace (1:45 with a buoy, 1:50 without) trying to stay in zone 2.  As for your hopeful swimming padawan, :53:89 is a AA high school time in SCY, which might not even make Sectionals.  Assuming he can knock off a few seconds going all-out and with a dive entry, probably walk-on capable depending on what division swim program. 

ETA:  It's just mind-boggling how fast swimmers are getting at the elite level.  I've always noted that when I see a track runner I can say "I look or have looked like that, I just do it slower" but what I'm doing isn't even the same sport as elite swimmers other than we're both getting wet. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2024-02-28 9:01 AM
2024-02-28 11:32 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Swim with Masters this morning. In total it was 2250yds, but the main set was 6x100 butt busters (bbs), each within 3" of the first, or you had to redo it. Ugh...it was a tough workout, but done (and I did't have to redo any 100s!). We have a new guy swimming with us and he is just putting everyone to shame. He wants to walk on to a college swim team, so today he was swimming 100s in 53". I have no idea if that is anything near good enough to get on a college swim team, but our fast guys swim the 100 in about 1:10 or so, and he is just blowing them out of the water. Neither one of them is happy about it either. Both of them are really nice guys, but they are super competitive, especially within their lane. It is kinda fun to watch.

Later today, 60' Z2 ride. I was hoping to do it outside, but the weather changed and it is back to the mid-30s (c. 1C) and WINDY. I think we're having sustained 35mph winds right now. Gotta get the ride in early, as today is my wife's birthday.

My student passed her defense and dissertation yesterday, both with distinction, which is something we don't give out in our department very often. I'm super proud of her...and also, very happy it is over, because this one was a lot of work!

Gretchen - My last two years of high school were done at Mercersburg Academy that has one of the best swim programs in the country. I’m slower than slow - sub 2:00 x 100 is usually attainable after 3 months in the pool. Swimming with Olympic level athletes show you just how in another league these people are. Don’t worry about them - worry about doing what you did today which was to kick .

Happy birthday to your wife, Gretchen! Enjoy your evening
2024-02-28 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Pool twinsies, Gretchen, though I extended by cool down another 50 yards to 2300.  Like you, lots of 100s holding a particular pace (1:45 with a buoy, 1:50 without) trying to stay in zone 2.  As for your hopeful swimming padawan, :53:89 is a AA high school time in SCY, which might not even make Sectionals.  Assuming he can knock off a few seconds going all-out and with a dive entry, probably walk-on capable depending on what division swim program. 

ETA:  It's just mind-boggling how fast swimmers are getting at the elite level.  I've always noted that when I see a track runner I can say "I look or have looked like that, I just do it slower" but what I'm doing isn't even the same sport as elite swimmers other than we're both getting wet. 

Mike kudos on your workout as well. You’re flying.
2024-02-28 11:53 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
My biggest problem is the daily nausea I face. I think it’s because of my sleep apnea. I’ve always had an upset stomach when I get tired. Now, I’m tired and nauseous every day. There’s no medical reason although I’ve had it checked out several times. Ugh - I hate being nauseous because it means I don’t get a workout in which makes it harder to lose the weight that will make me feel better.

I had a consult about my Ozembic prescription. They are gonna keep me on it and hopefully that will help me lose some weight. That’s the key - if I can lose weight that will help me feel better. I weighed myself before my telehealth meeting, and my weightI weighed myself before my telehealth meeting and my weight has gone back up to one to 249 which is 4 pounds more than it was two weeks ago, so I’m going in the wrong direction. i’m going to make up my goal to lose 1 pound this week and try to get down to 248.
2024-02-28 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
My biggest problem is the daily nausea I face. I think it’s because of my sleep apnea. I’ve always had an upset stomach when I get tired. Now, I’m tired and nauseous every day. There’s no medical reason although I’ve had it checked out several times. Ugh - I hate being nauseous because it means I don’t get a workout in which makes it harder to lose the weight that will make me feel better.

I had a consult about my Ozembic prescription. They are gonna keep me on it and hopefully that will help me lose some weight. That’s the key - if I can lose weight that will help me feel better. I weighed myself before my telehealth meeting, and my weightI weighed myself before my telehealth meeting and my weight has gone back up to one to 249 which is 4 pounds more than it was two weeks ago, so I’m going in the wrong direction. i’m going to make up my goal to lose 1 pound this week and try to get down to 248.

2024-02-28 3:56 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Nice swims Gretchen and Mike. And happy birthday to Mrs Gretchen, hope you 2 had a nice night.

And yup, the fish who can swim under 1:00/100 are doing a different sport to the rest of us mortals. Both inspiring stuff, and super intimidating.

Another early morning (early for everyone not named Gretchen) run this morning. Lactate Interval run (3 x 10x45"Z4, 30"Z1). That was pretty tough, definitely struggled at the back end of all 3 sets. Planning to get on zwift tonight to make this 'hard' day, very hard before an easy one tomorrow.
2024-02-28 7:30 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Lactate Interval run (3 x 10x45"Z4, 30"Z1). That was pretty tough, definitely struggled at the back end of all 3 sets. Planning to get on zwift tonight to make this 'hard' day, very hard before an easy one tomorrow.

Ooooo...that one sounds interesting, and would definitely pass the time and eliminate mind games on a tempo run.  Z1 is like fast-ish walk or I'm almost jogging kind of thing?  I do that Z4/Z1 as part of a warmup any run with intervals but I've never done the HIIT/Billats stuff on a run.

2024-02-29 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got in a good high Z2 / low Z3 bike session at lunch yesterday, then just collapsed and slept almost 10 hours last night.  Woke up feeling a little run down and meh.  I am NOT getting sick again!  Skipped my workouts for today as a precaution.  I think I know more people that are fighting something or another vs. those that aren't.  Warm weather can't get here soon enough. 

Oh, and work is nuts so an added layer of stress I'm dealing with which I'm sure contributed to my body shutdown last night. 

2024-02-29 1:11 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by bulfrog Lactate Interval run (3 x 10x45"Z4, 30"Z1). That was pretty tough, definitely struggled at the back end of all 3 sets. Planning to get on zwift tonight to make this 'hard' day, very hard before an easy one tomorrow.

Ooooo...that one sounds interesting, and would definitely pass the time and eliminate mind games on a tempo run.  Z1 is like fast-ish walk or I'm almost jogging kind of thing?  I do that Z4/Z1 as part of a warmup any run with intervals but I've never done the HIIT/Billats stuff on a run.

Yeah, I've never done a run like that one before either, but it's what the plan called for, so like a good little soldier I obey. Yup Z1 is a very slow jog, to be fair when I'm supposed to do a Z1 interval it tends to be more slow end of Z2.

Reasoning for the run:

Lactate Intervals Runs are designed to boost aerobic capacity (aka VO2max), which is the most important physiological underpinning of running performance. This particular format was developed by exercise scientists at Inland Norway University as a way to increase the amount of time an athlete is able to spend near VO2max intensity within a single session without becoming exhausted.

Lactate Intervals target Zone 4, which is fairly broad. You'll get the most benefit if you aim for a pace you could sustain for 15 minutes in race conditions, which will put you close to the middle of the zone.
2024-02-29 1:22 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Unfortunately life, lifed yesterday. Late home from work, late organising dinner for kiddos and parents, Mrs BF out for a bit.. blah blah blah = no bike. Still end of the month, and pretty pleased with what I've managed overall.

Swim: x 2, 1,500m, 40min - Poor effort all round, but a step better than January.
Bike, x 8, 8hr 30 min, all zwift - We'll call that a pass, just. A solid C grade.
Run, x 27, 176km, 22 hr 55 min, Only the 2nd time in my life I've been over 175km/month. And the previous time was over a decade ago. This run focus has started well.
S&M. x6, mix of body weight and stretchy sessions. About an hour. Not much, but doing something. Not currently injured so I guess that's success for measuring strength and mobility.

Total SBR for the month about 30 hours.

How did everyone else manage February?

2024-02-29 4:20 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

Unfortunately life, lifed yesterday. Late home from work, late organising dinner for kiddos and parents, Mrs BF out for a bit.. blah blah blah = no bike. Still end of the month, and pretty pleased with what I've managed overall.

Swim: x 2, 1,500m, 40min - Poor effort all round, but a step better than January.
Bike, x 8, 8hr 30 min, all zwift - We'll call that a pass, just. A solid C grade.
Run, x 27, 176km, 22 hr 55 min, Only the 2nd time in my life I've been over 175km/month. And the previous time was over a decade ago. This run focus has started well.
S&M. x6, mix of body weight and stretchy sessions. About an hour. Not much, but doing something. Not currently injured so I guess that's success for measuring strength and mobility.

Great job, Andrew! 27 runs? That's amazing! (other stuff too...but that's really impressive!
2024-02-29 4:30 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I closed out the month strong. After a TERRIBLE night of sleep (shoulder continues to hurt when I try to lay any way but on my back--guess who can't sleep on her back!), I was up at 4:#0 to put in a 60' CV interval ride, before heading to the gym for an hour of strength training, before going to the dentist (all good...just a semi-annual cleaning and check-up). After a few hours of that thing they call my job, I slipped out for an afternoon run. 60' with 10x1' Z4 intervals, that I started way too hard on. I'd say I did the first three in high Z5--pushing maximal effort and then flagged a bit near the end, because I had gone out on the first ones too hard. The last there or four were probably in the right neighborhood. One day I'll understand intervals--It won't be today.

February 2024 totals
Swim: 15h 18m 49s - 34325 Yd
Bike: 17h 35m 11s - 135.79 Mi (all fake miles on the trainer!)
Run: 17h 45m 48s - 63.64 Mi (many of these are water jogging "miles" and probably should not be trusted!)
Strength: 7h 41m

Wanna hear a funny story? A little context...my wife has purple hair and she maintains it with a product called Overtone.
EXACT CONVERSATION BETWEEN C (my wife) AND ME:
Me: swimming is wrecking, my hair, I need a good conditioner.
Her: use the overtone in the shower.
me: is that your purple stuff? The stuff in the white bottle? Won’t it turn my hair purple?
Her: yes, the white bottle. No, it won’t turn your hair purple.

Guess who has purple hair now? This is one of those cautionary tales about not being over confident that you and your partner communicate well all the time. C was talking about the Overtone SHAMPOO she has specifically purchased for me to try after swimming, which was not, in fact, in the shower. It does come in a white bottle though. So...she was right...that stuff wouldn't have turned my hair purple. Unfortunately, it is not what I used. I maintain this one in her fault though, because if I ask you for conditioner, you can't say use the Overtone in the white bottle and expect me to know you mean the shampoo!! Fortunately for me, this stuff does not hold color on white hair, and I'm increasingly white these days. It will be gone in a couple of days.
2024-02-29 4:40 PM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by bulfrog

Solid month Andrew, especially running, I guess that’s what a run focus is meant to look like.

Finished the month with a bike/run/hockey triathlon. Spin class finished at 6:37, shower, drive to where I park my car (2km), run 300m to the arena and get there at 6:50, just when they come on the ice. Didn’t miss one second. We won so a very good night.

Totals
S still 0, the lake is all liquid again but still too cold
B 11:07 hours, 73k plus some zwift and spin k’s
R 11:37 92.7k
S/M 3h

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-03-01 1:02 AM
2024-02-29 5:10 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Great job, Andrew! 27 runs? That's amazing! (other stuff too...but that's really impressive!

Thanks, impressing the training machine is high praise.

To be fair, my half marathon training plan has 6-7 runs per week, so I'm just following instructions. Just like your marathon plan, I'm hoping to really boost my running ability through this.
2024-02-29 7:19 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove  Guess who has purple hair now? This is one of those cautionary tales about not being over confident that you and your partner communicate well all the time. C was talking about the Overtone SHAMPOO she has specifically purchased for me to try after swimming, which was not, in fact, in the shower. It does come in a white bottle though. So...she was right...that stuff wouldn't have turned my hair purple. Unfortunately, it is not what I used. I maintain this one in her fault though, because if I ask you for conditioner, you can't say use the Overtone in the white bottle and expect me to know you mean the shampoo!! Fortunately for me, this stuff does not hold color on white hair, and I'm increasingly white these days. It will be gone in a couple of days.

Turning into a Ravens fan, are we??? 

2024-02-29 7:24 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good month everyone.  Somehow I had my best swim month since July and it was number 4 on the list of priorities.  Maybe 5 if you include the PT I'm going.  LOL

Swim: 5h 28m 59s - 13350 Yd
Bike: 11h 17m 02s - 225.07 Mi
Run: 5h 56m 17s - 32.74 Mi
Strength: 8h 34m plus a couple of hours of getting abused at PT

And I am NOT getting sick. 

2024-02-29 7:46 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Guess who has purple hair now?

I think I speak for all of the BDSA'ers when I say this needs photographic evidence :P
2024-03-01 1:06 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Wanna hear a funny story? A little context...my wife has purple hair and she maintains it with a product called Overtone.
EXACT CONVERSATION BETWEEN C (my wife) AND ME:
Me: swimming is wrecking, my hair, I need a good conditioner.
Her: use the overtone in the shower.
me: is that your purple stuff? The stuff in the white bottle? Won’t it turn my hair purple?
Her: yes, the white bottle. No, it won’t turn your hair purple.

Guess who has purple hair now? This is one of those cautionary tales about not being over confident that you and your partner communicate well all the time. C was talking about the Overtone SHAMPOO she has specifically purchased for me to try after swimming, which was not, in fact, in the shower. It does come in a white bottle though. So...she was right...that stuff wouldn't have turned my hair purple. Unfortunately, it is not what I used. I maintain this one in her fault though, because if I ask you for conditioner, you can't say use the Overtone in the white bottle and expect me to know you mean the shampoo!! Fortunately for me, this stuff does not hold color on white hair, and I'm increasingly white these days. It will be gone in a couple of days.

Too funny! That could have happened to me (not the purple hair, the miscommunication with my partner)
2024-03-01 8:54 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
First swim of March in the books. 2800yds of some pretty tight intervals. Felt good. I think after just a short 15 years of swimming, I'm learning how to rotate in the water.

Lifeguard was late again today, and then twice during the workout I looked up and he was not in his chair and no where to be seen on deck. Not to mention that he was on his phone the entire time. I'm pretty laid back, but these seem like some pretty serious safety breeches to me. Coach also said we could lose our USMS club charter if we were to be "inspected" during one of his not in the chair times.

Later this afternoon, I have a two hour trainer ride.
2024-03-01 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove First swim of March in the books. 2800yds of some pretty tight intervals. Felt good. I think after just a short 15 years of swimming, I'm learning how to rotate in the water. Lifeguard was late again today, and then twice during the workout I looked up and he was not in his chair and no where to be seen on deck. Not to mention that he was on his phone the entire time. I'm pretty laid back, but these seem like some pretty serious safety breeches to me. Coach also said we could lose our USMS club charter if we were to be "inspected" during one of his not in the chair times. Later this afternoon, I have a two hour trainer ride.

I'd take that up with pool management - that's unacceptable.  My small pool only has one lifeguard and they close the pool for 2-3 minutes if the guard needs to run to the bathroom or something.  We're all used to it (I'm not sure why some of the management staff can't get certified, as they monitor the closed pool during those couple of minutes...but that's another discussion). 

Nice work learning how to rotate - I look like a two-wheeled paddleboat in the water. 

2024-03-01 12:33 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I did email the pool management. He said that as long as the guard can see the entire pool, it is fine. The rub is that the guard was no where to be seen! I have no idea where he went.

No one drowned…this time.
2024-03-02 9:23 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

I did email the pool management. He said that as long as the guard can see the entire pool, it is fine. The rub is that the guard was no where to be seen! I have no idea where he went.

No one drowned…this time.

Scary
2024-03-02 9:24 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Floorball this morning, not many people turned up but those who did had a lot of fun. Hopefully we’ll be a few more next time.
No one got injured

One hour FTP intervals on Zwift in the afternoon, then hockey on tv in the evening (2-1 win) Good day

Edited by Rollergirl 2024-03-03 2:04 AM

Attachments
----------------
IMG_1277.jpeg (1673KB - 9 downloads)
2024-03-02 4:00 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2600yd swim this morning with masters and then a nice 80’ in the warm this afternoon. Run felt good…definately getting more confidence in the leg.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 125

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 990 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland