BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-04-08 5:11 PM
in reply to: #4689713

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed
Qua17 - 2013-04-06 9:40 PM

So I asked around about what to do about the excruciating urination I've been experiencing and the consensus was drink more water.  The idea of peeing a lot scared the out of me (so to speak Laughing) so I covered myself by taking a nice dose of Codeine I don't know if the water or the Codeine is at work - but I feel so much better.  It might also have to do with the 1/2 bottle of wine.  Not safe, I know.  BUt the idea of peeing really scared me.  

I need to  get back on the straight and narrow next week.  My eating has been ok but my exercise is not what I would like it to be.  I might need someone to come kick my a$$

Party Boy. that's a lot of dope young man...be careful! OMG I sound just like my mother...hate when that happens.

2013-04-08 5:13 PM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Got 2000 yards in the pool today.  Could barely get out since the arms were jello.  Focused on drills that my instructor showed me over the weekend.  The good knee is feeling a bit tight over the past few days so I plan to stay off even the bike until Wed to see how it feels.  I don't need to make it bad by spinning for an hour.  I'll hit the pool up instead.  As long as I'm getting in some work I should be fine.

Learned the hard way so now it's better safe than sorry.  Besides it's only a day or two off the bike. 

I think it may have started because my seat was too far back since I scooted forward on the seat and it felt fine.  Can you get knee pain from the seat being to far back?

2013-04-08 5:22 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Well my goal to be at the 5k this weekend was met.  I went but just as I was getting to walk out the door my daughter, 22, overweight and a little lost in life asked me to wait for her...she was coming with!  Paige asked that I stay with her so no all out for me but what I got was much better.  She pushed and did well and completed her first 5k.  She is ready to take on another one.  This kid has not always made the best life choice but honestly its good to see her giving it another go!  Outside of completing my first 5k it was the best 5K ever.  My other kid sent me a video clip of her sky diving.
2013-04-08 5:33 PM
in reply to: #4692133

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

SportzVision - 2013-04-08 6:22 PM Well my goal to be at the 5k this weekend was met.  I went but just as I was getting to walk out the door my daughter, 22, overweight and a little lost in life asked me to wait for her...she was coming with!  Paige asked that I stay with her so no all out for me but what I got was much better.  She pushed and did well and completed her first 5k.  She is ready to take on another one.  This kid has not always made the best life choice but honestly its good to see her giving it another go!  Outside of completing my first 5k it was the best 5K ever.  My other kid sent me a video clip of her sky diving.

Outstanding!  Mom is setting the example and it's showing.  Very nice story.  As for the sky diving that must be a cool video but I'll pass thanks. I do like to see other people fall from the sky though Tongue out

2013-04-08 6:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Since I am growing gills and loving the water I ordered a Garmin Swim last week and it will be here Thursday.  Before anyone asks why the main reason is I have CRS (can't remember sh*t) and spend my workout trying to figure out if I'm on lap x or y. I used the headphones to get rid of one problem and the watch will get rid of the other.  Now I will be able to focus on swimming and drills.

P.S...to be honest I also LOVE gadgets Laughing

2013-04-08 7:17 PM
in reply to: #4692201

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Burd - 2013-04-08 6:24 PM

Since I am growing gills and loving the water I ordered a Garmin Swim last week and it will be here Thursday.  Before anyone asks why the main reason is I have CRS (can't remember sh*t) and spend my workout trying to figure out if I'm on lap x or y. I used the headphones to get rid of one problem and the watch will get rid of the other.  Now I will be able to focus on swimming and drills.

P.S...to be honest I also LOVE gadgets Laughing

I've been using my Garmin FR70's lap counter function for that.

Honestly though, I regret buying the FR70, since I should have bought a a 910xt, which does freakin' everything - GPS, bike sensor pairing, foot pod matching, swim tracking . . .It's a drool-worthy piece of tech that is on my wishlist.

The $400 price tag is a kick in the pants though.

2013-04-08 8:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

SportzVision - 2013-04-08 4:22 PM Well my goal to be at the 5k this weekend was met.  I went but just as I was getting to walk out the door my daughter, 22, overweight and a little lost in life asked me to wait for her...she was coming with!  Paige asked that I stay with her so no all out for me but what I got was much better.  She pushed and did well and completed her first 5k.  She is ready to take on another one.  This kid has not always made the best life choice but honestly its good to see her giving it another go!  Outside of completing my first 5k it was the best 5K ever.  My other kid sent me a video clip of her sky diving.

That is a great parent moment! Being with your daughter when she makes a great life choice is perhaps one of the greatest things you get as a parent! congratulations on being there for your daughter and leading the way to a great fitness life style(hopefully!)Smile

2013-04-09 6:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

SportzVision - 2013-04-08 5:22 PM Well my goal to be at the 5k this weekend was met.  I went but just as I was getting to walk out the door my daughter, 22, overweight and a little lost in life asked me to wait for her...she was coming with!  Paige asked that I stay with her so no all out for me but what I got was much better.  She pushed and did well and completed her first 5k.  She is ready to take on another one.  This kid has not always made the best life choice but honestly its good to see her giving it another go!  Outside of completing my first 5k it was the best 5K ever.  My other kid sent me a video clip of her sky diving.

That is great and great parenting!!! It is amazing how we can set an example by our actions. My kids can't stop talking about doing their first tri this summer.

Edited by bobddsmd 2013-04-09 6:13 AM
2013-04-09 7:34 AM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
So I had this crazy idea to create a running/walking group for our community.  I decided Sunday to put together a facebook page to see what kind of interest there would be in doing informal group run/walks one day a week here in town.  I expected 1 maybe two people to sign up.  Right now just two days after it was made, the page has 22 likes and 10 people wanting to schedule the first group run/walk for this Saturday!  I am pretty impressed by the response, especially considering our community is only 5,000 people!  Maybe I'm on to something.  I would like to get a group together to organize runs/events for the community, but one step at a time!  
2013-04-09 8:04 AM

User image

Connecticut
SportzVision - 2013-04-08 6:22 PMWell my goal to be at the 5k this weekend was met.  I went but just as I was getting to walk out the door my daughter, 22, overweight and a little lost in life asked me to wait for her...she was coming with!  Paige asked that I stay with her so no all out for me but what I got was much better.  She pushed and did well and completed her first 5k.  She is ready to take on another one.  This kid has not always made the best life choice but honestly its good to see her giving it another go!  Outside of completing my first 5k it was the best 5K ever.  My other kid sent me a video clip of her sky diving.
Can't wait for those parenting moments. What a wonderful day that must have been. Great job
2013-04-09 8:05 AM
in reply to: #4692672

User image

Connecticut
jlangene - 2013-04-09 8:34 AMSo I had this crazy idea to create a running/walking group for our community.  I decided Sunday to put together a facebook page to see what kind of interest there would be in doing informal group run/walks one day a week here in town.  I expected 1 maybe two people to sign up.  Right now just two days after it was made, the page has 22 likes and 10 people wanting to schedule the first group run/walk for this Saturday!  I am pretty impressed by the response, especially considering our community is only 5,000 people!  Maybe I'm on to something.  I would like to get a group together to organize runs/events for the community, but one step at a time!  
Nice work!

2013-04-09 9:57 AM
in reply to: #4692730

User image

Veteran
Illinois

Good morning everyone.

Seem's like everyone is having success, which is great.  Springtime breeds hope.

A quick run for me this morning, to the gym, where I met my wife and spent half a bunch of time practicing flip-turns.  I have a pair of nice, hand-sized abrasions on my shoulders from the bottom of the pool now, so I guess that counts as a sports-related injury

My wife and I are going to do a sprint triathlon at the end of May, with a pool swim, so I figured it was time to learn to flip-turn.  Hopefully it will shave 10 or 15 seconds off my lap times.

Edit:

I forgot about the best part - I've signed up to volunteer for the Wisconsin Ironman (IMoo) this year, which will give me priority registration for next yet.  So, my first real step toward's a full ironman.  It sold out in 21 hours this year, so volunteering is almost mandatory to get in.  I signed up to work at a bike aid station.

Edited by mirthfuldragon 2013-04-09 10:00 AM
2013-04-09 11:50 AM

User image

Expert

Call off the dogs Lenny and Alex (but keep them barking so I don't get lazy), I got in my swim and bike this morning.  I have to say - you ALEX were my motivation this morning.  I thought about calling it quits after 800 but pushed it to get an even 1,000.  Still 1,000 short of your efforts the other day Alex (outstanding work!).

I've got so many thoughts going through my mind about S/B/R but I've got to go teach class... I really want to weigh in on Charles' awesome question about training and motivation that has been peculating in the back of my brain for a week.  I also need to start a thread to look at another aspect of racing.  last week it was hydration.  This week, I'm thinking about focusing on pre/during/post race nutrition and then covering transitions next week.  What do you all think?  Any other topics you want to talk about?

Enjoy the day!

2013-04-09 12:59 PM
in reply to: #4693241

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Qua17 - 2013-04-09 12:50 PM

Call off the dogs Lenny and Alex (but keep them barking so I don't get lazy), I got in my swim and bike this morning.  I have to say - you ALEX were my motivation this morning.  I thought about calling it quits after 800 but pushed it to get an even 1,000.  Still 1,000 short of your efforts the other day Alex (outstanding work!).

I've got so many thoughts going through my mind about S/B/R but I've got to go teach class... I really want to weigh in on Charles' awesome question about training and motivation that has been peculating in the back of my brain for a week.  I also need to start a thread to look at another aspect of racing.  last week it was hydration.  This week, I'm thinking about focusing on pre/during/post race nutrition and then covering transitions next week.  What do you all think?  Any other topics you want to talk about?

Enjoy the day!

I would love to hear a discussion about nutrition also.  Being new I am still kind of cloudy on how to prepare, race, and recover. Since most of you have experience with many distances it would be great to find out about the different race lengths.

2013-04-09 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4692966

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
mirthfuldragon - 2013-04-09 10:57 AM

Good morning everyone.

Seem's like everyone is having success, which is great.  Springtime breeds hope.

A quick run for me this morning, to the gym, where I met my wife and spent half a bunch of time practicing flip-turns.  I have a pair of nice, hand-sized abrasions on my shoulders from the bottom of the pool now, so I guess that counts as a sports-related injury

My wife and I are going to do a sprint triathlon at the end of May, with a pool swim, so I figured it was time to learn to flip-turn.  Hopefully it will shave 10 or 15 seconds off my lap times.

Edit:

I forgot about the best part - I've signed up to volunteer for the Wisconsin Ironman (IMoo) this year, which will give me priority registration for next yet.  So, my first real step toward's a full ironman.  It sold out in 21 hours this year, so volunteering is almost mandatory to get in.  I signed up to work at a bike aid station.

I did not know this.  Killer news since I want to do IMFL in 2014 and it sold out in 90 seconds.  No way I would have got in so I'm looking at the available spots to volunteer.  Anyone know what security does?  I guess the bike/bag checkout is just that...check to make sure it's their bags.  Those look like the only 2 jobs left.  It still gives me nearly 2 years to get ready also.

2013-04-09 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4693547

User image

Connecticut

Got some good news from the ortho today. No meniscus tear! They are still waiting on the rest of the findings. I should know the rest by Thursday the latest.

With that said its freaking 70 degrees here in ct so I had to get out on my bike for a ride. First somewhat long outdoor ride on a road bike. Felt amazing. I'll feel the pain later but was worth it.

Edited by lp3510 2013-04-09 2:22 PM

2013-04-09 2:25 PM
in reply to: #4693241

User image

Connecticut
Qua17 - 2013-04-09 12:50 PM

Enjoy the day!

Nice swim man.  I find myself thinking about training all the time especially since I havent been as much as I should.

I think a good topic of discussion would be recovery methods.

2013-04-09 3:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

Nutrition. I have limited experience but have done a fair amount of research on the topic. You can see my race report for details of my HIM.

Sprints: Good carb loading the day before but try not to have something that you never have. Also try not to eat a big meal really late at night. In the morning, I try to have oatmeal/maple syrup 2-3 hours prior and sip sports drink until race. During the race just sports drink during bike.

HIM: I went a little crazy with loading carbs and sodium (650g carbs, 5500mg sodium) the day before. Mostly carbs, finished eating solids by 5pm. Liquids up until 10pm. Total calories for the day was about 500 above normal.

Morning: Oatmeal, a few ginger cookies 3 hours prior, sports drink and then gel 20 minutes before swim (tried all of this during long training)

During: Solids (bonk breakers) first two hours on bike, sports drink and a few gels. I did 400 calories per hour on bike. Drank mostly sports drink to thirst.

Run: sports drink, a few gels, 1/2 banana, orange slices and cola for the last 3 miles.

I practiced with what was available on the course. However, due to my running injury I was not really able to put everything together at a race amount/volume until the race. My GI system was awesome at the race and I just kept putting things in. I took solid food with water, taking small bites every 15 minutes on the bike. If I started burping or feeling full, I would back off a while.

Matt Fitzgerald has a recent good article that states for HIM, just drink the course sports drink to thirst and you will be fine. I really wanted to play around with my nutrition/hydration as it is a strong interest of mine to see what I could tolerate. I did hit the porta-potty 5 times but I had planned some of this to make sure I stretched out my IT band and prevent dehydration/renal failure. Yikes.

2013-04-09 7:06 PM
in reply to: #4692966

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
mirthfuldragon - 2013-04-09 8:57 AM

Good morning everyone.

Edit:

Unless you can master them completely, you are better off doing the touch and turn. You will tire yourself out and probably end up losing time doing tumble turns...

Cheers!

2013-04-09 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4693547

User image

Expert
Burd - 2013-04-09 1:59 PM
mirthfuldragon - 2013-04-09 10:57 AM

Good morning everyone.

Edit:

I did not know this.  Killer news since I want to do IMFL in 2014 and it sold out in 90 seconds.  No way I would have got in so I'm looking at the available spots to volunteer.  Anyone know what security does?  I guess the bike/bag checkout is just that...check to make sure it's their bags.  Those look like the only 2 jobs left.  It still gives me nearly 2 years to get ready also.

IMFL in 2014... What an awesome goal Alex!  Volunteering is the way to go.  From what I hear - it can be an amazing experience. 

2013-04-09 8:20 PM
in reply to: #4693582

User image

Expert
lp3510 - 2013-04-09 2:16 PM

Got some good news from the ortho today. No meniscus tear! They are still waiting on the rest of the findings. I should know the rest by Thursday the latest.

With that said its freaking 70 degrees here in ct so I had to get out on my bike for a ride. First somewhat long outdoor ride on a road bike. Felt amazing. I'll feel the pain later but was worth it.

Great to hear!  Hopefully they will be able to figure out what's wrong and get you back out there ASAP.  God - was it nice out today or what?!?

2013-04-09 8:30 PM
in reply to: #4693792

User image

Expert
bobddsmd - 2013-04-09 3:56 PM

Sprints: Good carb loading the day before but try not to have something that you never have. Also try not to eat a big meal really late at night. In the morning, I try to have oatmeal/maple syrup 2-3 hours prior and sip sports drink until race. During the race just sports drink during bike.

I agree about carb loading the day before and I try hard to avoid food early the day before a race that has a ton of fiber.  I also make sure I stay hydrated.  For dinner, I usually have protein (chicken) and sweet potato with a veggie like green beans.  

On race morning, I wake up early, have a banana and oatmeal and then go back to sleep until its time to get up.  I then grab coffee at Dunkin to get a little caffeine in me, and I have a gu right before I go into the water.  When I get on the bike, I grab another gu and drink about 8 oz of sports drink while on the bike.  I gobble a gu when I start the run and I'm done.  If its hot, I might hit a water stop.

More tomorrow.  NIte

2013-04-10 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Good day. Back on the bike today for 45 minute recovery ride. Ran home yesterday from walking kids to school. Just 0.5 miles but I did not explode. I remember after my 13.1 in December I could not run at all on day 2 post race. So feeli g good about all of that. Still yanking it easy.Sunday I find out about Kona. Ha,ha. I am going to freak if I win the lottery. I would be scarred, but less scared now after the 70.3.Let's hear about some serious training out there while this old man recovers.
2013-04-10 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Well back to a different doctor today for neck/shoulder/arm/numbness/nerve problem. Hoping to get an MRI or something to nail down this issue. Sick and tired of it. Might hit spin tonite and just deal with the pain. Tired of doing nothing. Also off the beer wagon for awhile. Need to drop a few holiday pounds. some restaraunt portions down in florida are out of control and I just keep stuffin' it in...

Good to see you are taking easy  yanking it Bobby...Laughing

2013-04-10 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4693986

User image

Veteran
Illinois
thor67 - 2013-04-09 7:06 PM
mirthfuldragon - 2013-04-09 8:57 AM

Unless you can master them completely, you are better off doing the touch and turn. You will tire yourself out and probably end up losing time doing tumble turns...

Cheers!

I appreciate the feedback.  I picked up some noseplugs to use while I practice, to hopefully eliminate snorting chlorine.  There was a really nice guy at the pool who would regularly give me tips during his workout - his flip turns took him easily 10 or 12 yards before he went into his stroke, in an effortless glide of grace and fluidity.  Watching good swimmers is equal parts awe and disgust - especially since I may as well be a brick in the water compared to those folks.

Flip turns seem like bike cleats - if you're serious, you use them, and it's an easy way to tell the serious folks from the casual folks.

Off to the bike shop, to pick up my fixed wheel and to get yelled at for drooling on the carbon fiber

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97