BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-04-12 4:40 AM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed

Let's keep talking about nutrition.

Question - What's your favorite type/flavor of Gu?

2013-04-12 4:42 AM
in reply to: #4697329

User image

Expert
Qua17 - 2013-04-12 4:40 AM

Vanilla Bean and Mandarin Orange

I was checking out their website - anyone tried the mint chocolate flavor?  

2013-04-12 5:12 AM

User image

Expert

Alex - I was thinking about your ITB issues.  I've struggled with mine since doing CC in high school.  Here are a few stretches to add to your repertoire:

Pigeon - you might think that this would be bad for your knee but it shouldn't be.  It's the more agressive stretch, so if it hurts try the second one :http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/health/move-of-the-week-pigeon-stretch-176165.html

Reclined Pigeon: http://www.ehow.com/how_4507196_do-reclining-pigeon-pose-yoga.html<... the more I do Yoga - the more I love this pose - Seated forward pose.  I feel like it really hits the top of my IT band. http://www.yoohealth.com/630/seated-forward-bends-easy-pose-forward... these help! 

2013-04-12 6:25 AM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Qua17 - 2013-04-12 3:40 AM

Vanilla Bean and the coffee one!  

2013-04-12 6:31 AM
in reply to: #4696101

User image

Connecticut
Qua17 - 2013-04-11 10:37 AM
lp3510 - 2013-04-10 3:56 PM
bobddsmd - 2013-04-10 4:36 PM
lp3510 - 2013-04-10 12:38 PM

Heard from the ortho today about the knee.  Said I have some cracked cartilage behind the knee cap which is causing the clicking and discomfort.  Doesnt see surgery as a necessity, but surgery would be more to reduce my discomfort than anything else. He said I could rest it and see how it goes from here.  So that is what I am going to do.

I was talking to my wife and remembered when I first started to feel the knee pain over a year ago. My wife and I were working out at the gym doing deep squats. Then this time around I was doing squats to help build my legs.  So I think Ill stay away from squats and see where that takes me.

Planning to get out on Sunday and run while my wife walks.   Thanks for the sounding board! 

I think that is a tough one to balance. I think some form of squat (not deep) may help the problem and too deep will hurt it. Strengthening the leg muscles, if you can do it without pain, would be beneficial IMO.  I can't remember, do you have a race on the schedule?

I havent signed up for the race yet but their is a sprint series starting in June and going bi-weekly until august.  Reg opened last week, so I am going to sign up for a later one so I can get some decent training in.

Lenny - glad to hear that you are getting things figured out with your knee.  I think taking it nice and slow will help but so to will signing up for that sprint series so you have something to shoot for.

BTW - I was about the suggest you try some glucosamine but before doing so, I did a little research on the web about it.  I know Wikipedia isn't the gold standard but the info they had there made it seem like it really isn't effective in reducing joint discomfort.  I currently take 90gm per day and maybe I should think twice about it.

signed up for a race today. its not until august but to avoid injury and get used to life with our little one due in two weeks it makes the most sense.

I weighed myself after 3 weeks of zero exercise and I stayed at 262 which is down from 275 early this yr. I was expecting not working out would put me back up on the scale.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

2013-04-12 6:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Qua17 - 2013-04-12 5:40 AM

Call me off but I can't get a GU down...feels gritty to me.  I'm a Clif Shot guy.  

Razz, Vanilla, and Double Expresso ( I hate spelling it that way since the is NO X in espresso but that's how it is on the label, I'm a bit of a coffee nerd)  

I roast my own beans, spent more on my espresso machine than some carbon tri bikes.  Also have 4 different ways to brew regular coffee. I take my coffee like a religion.  Hey, it's much like David and his beer Tongue out

2013-04-12 6:34 AM
in reply to: #4697386

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
lp3510 - 2013-04-12 7:31 AM
Qua17 - 2013-04-11 10:37 AM
lp3510 - 2013-04-10 3:56 PM
bobddsmd - 2013-04-10 4:36 PM
lp3510 - 2013-04-10 12:38 PM

Heard from the ortho today about the knee.  Said I have some cracked cartilage behind the knee cap which is causing the clicking and discomfort.  Doesnt see surgery as a necessity, but surgery would be more to reduce my discomfort than anything else. He said I could rest it and see how it goes from here.  So that is what I am going to do.

I was talking to my wife and remembered when I first started to feel the knee pain over a year ago. My wife and I were working out at the gym doing deep squats. Then this time around I was doing squats to help build my legs.  So I think Ill stay away from squats and see where that takes me.

Planning to get out on Sunday and run while my wife walks.   Thanks for the sounding board! 

I think that is a tough one to balance. I think some form of squat (not deep) may help the problem and too deep will hurt it. Strengthening the leg muscles, if you can do it without pain, would be beneficial IMO.  I can't remember, do you have a race on the schedule?

I havent signed up for the race yet but their is a sprint series starting in June and going bi-weekly until august.  Reg opened last week, so I am going to sign up for a later one so I can get some decent training in.

Lenny - glad to hear that you are getting things figured out with your knee.  I think taking it nice and slow will help but so to will signing up for that sprint series so you have something to shoot for.

BTW - I was about the suggest you try some glucosamine but before doing so, I did a little research on the web about it.  I know Wikipedia isn't the gold standard but the info they had there made it seem like it really isn't effective in reducing joint discomfort.  I currently take 90gm per day and maybe I should think twice about it.

signed up for a race today. its not until august but to avoid injury and get used to life with our little one due in two weeks it makes the most sense.

I weighed myself after 3 weeks of zero exercise and I stayed at 262 which is down from 275 early this yr. I was expecting not working out would put me back up on the scale.

#1 Exciting

#2 Greatest thing in the world and super exciting!!!  Pre-congrats to the wife and you (notice the wife always comes first, my wife taught me that, lol)

#3 18 pounds is huge.  Keep it rolling, great work

Edited by Burd 2013-04-12 6:38 AM
2013-04-12 7:06 AM
in reply to: #4697390

User image

Connecticut

#1 Exciting

#2 Greatest thing in the world and super exciting!!!  Pre-congrats to the wife and you (notice the wife always comes first, my wife taught me that, lol)

#3 18 pounds is huge.  Keep it rolling, great work

Thanks Alex, weirdly enough my wife taught me that too

2013-04-12 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4697327

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-04-12 3:37 AM

Morning Everyone:

It's Friday and time to check in on your goals and plans for the weekend.  

I had three goals: 

• Log Every Calorie Laughing
  • Swim, Bike, Run, Yoga X1 Laughing - Actually got in 2 workouts each
  • Start the BDAS Spring Mentor Group Undecided - Still waiting for them to pull the trigger

Weekend

• Saturday - Bikeride before heading off on vacation
  • Sunday - A walk once I make it to Cleveland

Let me get this straight...you are going on vacation to Cleveland in April??Laughing

Screw it, I am going to get on the bike again even if it kills me!

might try run and swim as well. My physio was noncommittal on the run but was okay with bike and swim as long as I didn't cause any issues. She still thinks it is the neck/nerve thing. I have to admit I feel better after todays physic so who knows? I will still go through with cortisone shot in May if necessary.

Gu, reallly are there any good flavours??Smile

I usually go with a cliff bar if necessary plus my drinks. On oly's and sprints, nutrition isn't quite as necessary!

2013-04-12 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4697387

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Burd - 2013-04-12 5:32 AM

Call me off but I can't get a GU down...feels gritty to me.  I'm a Clif Shot guy.  

Razz, Vanilla, and Double Expresso ( I hate spelling it that way since the is NO X in espresso but that's how it is on the label, I'm a bit of a coffee nerd)  

I roast my own beans, spent more on my espresso machine than some carbon tri bikes.  Also have 4 different ways to brew regular coffee. I take my coffee like a religion.  Hey, it's much like David and his beer Tongue out

Damn, if I knew that, I would have been down for coffee and beers as those are my two drinking vices!

2013-04-12 10:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

Lenny, great job on the race sign up! Having gone from 285 to 200, having races on the calendar helped a lot. It got me eating better (food is fuel for the athlete that will be racing) and exercise (fear is a great motivator).

Coffee. Oh how do I love it. I have switched to mostly decaf for BP reasons.

Cleveland. That is where I went to medical school and residency. Oh 120 hour work weeks. Vacation....not so much.

Have a great weekend all.

I am dying to run and bike. Today will be sunny in the low 70's, therefore run. Tomorrow bike.

Sunday I find out about Kona. Yikes.

2013-04-12 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4697827

User image

Connecticut
bobddsmd - 2013-04-12 11:36 AM

Lenny, great job on the race sign up! Having gone from 285 to 200, having races on the calendar helped a lot. It got me eating better (food is fuel for the athlete that will be racing) and exercise (fear is a great motivator).

Coffee. Oh how do I love it. I have switched to mostly decaf for BP reasons.

Cleveland. That is where I went to medical school and residency. Oh 120 hour work weeks. Vacation....not so much.

Have a great weekend all.

I am dying to run and bike. Today will be sunny in the low 70's, therefore run. Tomorrow bike.

Sunday I find out about Kona. Yikes.

Low 70's sounds perfect for a run.  keep us posted on Kona

2013-04-12 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

Hey Guys!

I'm still here, and I apologize from my prolonged absences. trying to catch up on reading the post's and a bif congrats to Bobby on the HIM!! Way too go Man! and now a possible slot at KONA!?!?!? Nuts....

Hope to get back to regularly posting and contributing to the group again!

2013-04-12 3:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

This has to be a cruel joke...on my ride today my knee felt "weird".  Not painful just like something was rubbing in there.  Now it's a tad tender.  Correct me if I'm wrong but it's most likely just still swollen and that was all the nasty fluid, right?  My plan has me off the bike until Tuesday but I can always push it back a few days since I'll be at the gym and on the elliptical.  I guess I'm just going to ice it every hour and keep it compressed when not on ice.  Any other ideas?  

2013-04-12 6:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Doctor Alex checking in.  Now I am convinced it's IT band issues.  Besides the tell tale signs of pain in the knee and hip as well as tight spots along the way (which you all pointed out), I wanted to be sure so I found this:

• Poor cleat position. ITBS results when cleats are excessively rotated internally. The feet should feel straight when clipped into the pedals, with no torsional or twisting stress occurring when you are pedaling.
  • Incorrect saddle height. The saddle height should be set so that your legs are almost fully extended at the bottom of each pedal stroke. Keep the following points in mind when adjusting saddle height: Your hips should not rock back and forth when pedaling. If they do, lower your saddle. If the saddle is too high, you will have to stretch your legs too far to reach the bottom of the pedal stroke.
  • Poor saddle positions. Bike saddles that are positioned too far back cause a tightening of the ITB by forcing the cyclist to reach for the pedal with each stroke.
  • High gearing ratios. This may cause excessive generation of force by the ITB.
  • Excessive hill work. It is important to gradually increase hill work to avoid stressing the ITB. 
I could be a perfect med school case of what NOT to do?  All of those in red were my problems.  Now since I am off the run and now the bike, until it heals, I am going to focus on the swim and increasing my strength so it doesn't repeat.

What kind of time frame am I looking at for a standard recovery with following R.I.C.E and stretching?

This has been Dr. Alex, a google med students evaluation.

2013-04-12 7:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

20cm of snow predicted for tonite/tomorrow...great cycling weather.

Alex, not sure if you have a fit2run and/or World of beer but they have a thursday night run followed by 1/2 price pints after....what a great idea! just posted it for my tri group in leduc! sweet!

2013-04-13 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4697387

User image

Expert
Burd - 2013-04-12 6:32 AM

I take that as the ultimate complement (so says the guy who plans on visiting 10 breweries in the next ten days.  Amen brother!

2013-04-13 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4698311

User image

Expert
Burd - 2013-04-12 3:26 PM

This has to be a cruel joke...on my ride today my knee felt "weird".  Not painful just like something was rubbing in there.  Now it's a tad tender.  Correct me if I'm wrong but it's most likely just still swollen and that was all the nasty fluid, right?  My plan has me off the bike until Tuesday but I can always push it back a few days since I'll be at the gym and on the elliptical.  I guess I'm just going to ice it every hour and keep it compressed when not on ice.  Any other ideas?  

Be sure to elevate it.  Sit on the couch, drink a beer, and watch the masters.  A perfect way to reduce inflammation!

2013-04-13 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4698492

User image

Expert
Burd - 2013-04-12 6:17 PM

Doctor Alex checking in.  Now I am convinced it's IT band issues.  Besides the tell tale signs of pain in the knee and hip as well as tight spots along the way (which you all pointed out), I wanted to be sure so I found this:

• Poor cleat position. ITBS results when cleats are excessively rotated internally. The feet should feel straight when clipped into the pedals, with no torsional or twisting stress occurring when you are pedaling.
  • Incorrect saddle height. The saddle height should be set so that your legs are almost fully extended at the bottom of each pedal stroke. Keep the following points in mind when adjusting saddle height: Your hips should not rock back and forth when pedaling. If they do, lower your saddle. If the saddle is too high, you will have to stretch your legs too far to reach the bottom of the pedal stroke.
  • Poor saddle positions. Bike saddles that are positioned too far back cause a tightening of the ITB by forcing the cyclist to reach for the pedal with each stroke.
  • High gearing ratios. This may cause excessive generation of force by the ITB.
  • Excessive hill work. It is important to gradually increase hill work to avoid stressing the ITB. 
I could be a perfect med school case of what NOT to do?  All of those in red were my problems.  Now since I am off the run and now the bike, until it heals, I am going to focus on the swim and increasing my strength so it doesn't repeat.

What kind of time frame am I looking at for a standard recovery with following R.I.C.E and stretching?

This has been Dr. Alex, a google med students evaluation. 

Depends... Sometimes a day off is all that is all you need.  If you go for a swim tomorrow, you could take a rest day on Monday (if you are still a little sore) and then try it out on Tuesday.  From what you wrote - you aren't in great pain and the ITB is probably just a bit irritated.  Keep the faith.

2013-04-13 11:44 AM

User image

Expert

Sorry for these quick posts but I wanted to sign in and take care of business before heading off on vacation.  I will try to keep an eye out when they open the new spring forums - but my ability to get on line will be sporadic.

Here's the line on vacation - 3 MBL parks (Pittsburg, Cleveland, and maybe Toronto).  My goal in the next 10 days is to visit 10 new breweries.  Should be easy.  

I had a good week. Thanks for the motivation (Lenny's size 14 boot + Alex watching my calories on lose it).

I will post goals for the week and will fill mine in when I am able.

Prost!

2013-04-13 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 

kevinbe

Kevin 
 thor67 Thor 
 SportzVision Cynthia 
 Wiff Kim 
 jlangeneJared  
mirthfuldragon Charles  
Burd Alex  
Yakhead  Ian 
 bobddsmd  Bobby 
 Cassady Doug 
 lp3510 Lenny 
 justinfss Justin 
 firefighter Taj 
 snarky Elizabeth 
mcmanusclan5Matt  
DBrew99 Dan 
BigDH Darren/DH 
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • Finish the week with a calorie deficit
  • Run/Bike/Swim 2x

2013-04-13 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4698912

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Qua17 - 2013-04-13 10:46 AM

kevinbe

Kevin 
 thor67 Thor start over...hopefully!
 SportzVision Cynthia 
 Wiff Kim 
 jlangeneJared  
mirthfuldragon Charles  
Burd Alex  
Yakhead  Ian 
 bobddsmd  Bobby 
 Cassady Doug 
 lp3510 Lenny 
 justinfss Justin 
 firefighter Taj 
 snarky Elizabeth 
mcmanusclan5Matt  
DBrew99 Dan 
BigDH Darren/DH 
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • Run/Bike/Swim 2x

2013-04-13 4:36 PM
in reply to: #4698979

User image

Veteran
Dallas
thor67 - 2013-04-13 1:14 PM
Qua17 - 2013-04-13 10:46 AM

kevinbe

Kevin 
 thor67 Thor start over...hopefully!
 SportzVision Cynthia 
 Wiff Kim 
 jlangeneJared  
mirthfuldragon Charles  
Burd Alex  
Yakhead  Ian 
 bobddsmd  Bobby
  •  maybe Kona
  • maybe get ready for Crossfit
  • enjoy a little s/b/r
 Cassady Doug 
 lp3510 Lenny 
 justinfss Justin 
 firefighter Taj 
 snarky Elizabeth 
mcmanusclan5Matt  
DBrew99 Dan 
BigDH Darren/DH 
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • Run/Bike/Swim 2x

2013-04-14 12:20 AM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Had a great day, got a 5k in this morning with a group of friends.  It was the first group run that I organized through the group I am trying to put together.  Had 8 people, 4 walked and 4 ran.  It was pretty good we all had a good time.  Got the cars washed today and then cooked out and had friends over for dinner.  Hope everyone else had a great Saturday as well.  Hopefully the wind will give me a break tomorrow morning for a couple hours and I can get my bike ride in!  
2013-04-14 5:59 AM
in reply to: #4699306

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

jlangene - 2013-04-14 1:20 AM Had a great day, got a 5k in this morning with a group of friends.  It was the first group run that I organized through the group I am trying to put together.  Had 8 people, 4 walked and 4 ran.  It was pretty good we all had a good time.  Got the cars washed today and then cooked out and had friends over for dinner.  Hope everyone else had a great Saturday as well.  Hopefully the wind will give me a break tomorrow morning for a couple hours and I can get my bike ride in!  

That sounds like a great Saturday.  Looks like the group you are putting together is working out real nice.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97