BT Development Mentor Program Archives » lrobb's group full - the work is plentiful, success is guaranteed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-05-21 9:42 PM
in reply to: #1417300

User image

Veteran
Leesburg, VA
Subject: RE: lrobb's group - CLOSED
Buckcam - 2008-05-21 4:48 PM

Hi Guy's:

Need some motivation and advice. How have you found the best way to fit in training between work, kids, home? I'm struggling with juggleing. Any advice?

Thanks, Danielle

My small amount of advice is to convince as many members of your family as you can to train for a Tri. As of now my wife and I are training for a mini-sprint on Aug 10th my two sons are doing the kids Tri on Aug 9th and then we are all going to North East Md for the Sprint (my wife, my brother and I are running) on Aug 17th. We go to the pool as a family. I found a local school with a track and my kids run for their Tri and play in the middle of the track when they get tired of running while my wife and I finish our run. The hardest part for us is the Bike. my kids can not ride fast or far enough to go with us. For now my oldest son watches the younger two while we ride 1.55 mile laps in the neighborhood around our house.

2008-05-22 2:19 PM
in reply to: #1351842

User image

Veteran
Leesburg, VA
Since my brother is not as into the website as I am I will post. We ordered him a Javelin Sizzanno a few min ago. So he is going to be on a better bike than I am for our tri's this year. But I am hoping that having that sexy new bike in his living room will entice him into training more often so I will be challenged into training harder. I am doing great on my training now but I don't want any oppertunities to slack off.
2008-05-22 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Good job Tiny.

And, its not the bike, its the engine. I pass lots of guys on fancy bikes, that havent trained as hard as I have. And I have seen women on mountain bikes, kick my azz. I don't like anyone passing me, but if they trained harder/ smarter than I did, they deserve to finish ahead of me.
2008-05-22 4:02 PM
in reply to: #1419703

Extreme Veteran
OKC
TheyCallMeTiny - 2008-05-22 2:19 PM

So he is going to be on a better bike than I am for our tri's this year.

Maybe slightly, but the difference is small. You do have aerobars for the F85 right?
2008-05-22 8:02 PM
in reply to: #1420062

User image

Veteran
Leesburg, VA
lrobb - 2008-05-22 5:02 PM

TheyCallMeTiny - 2008-05-22 2:19 PM

So he is going to be on a better bike than I am for our tri's this year.

Maybe slightly, but the difference is small. You do have aerobars for the F85 right?

My wife's Parma came with Oval Aero Bars that I am going to put on the Felt. She is not ready for them yet so soon I will have them. I am going to get a professional fitting done in a few weeks and then I will start using them. Right now I am feeling kind of stretched out even in my normal road position so hopefully the fitting will help.

2008-05-22 8:05 PM
in reply to: #1420035

User image

Veteran
Leesburg, VA
Cashmason - 2008-05-22 4:54 PM

Good job Tiny.

And, its not the bike, its the engine. I pass lots of guys on fancy bikes, that haven't trained as hard as I have. And I have seen women on mountain bikes, kick my azz. I don't like anyone passing me, but if they trained harder/ smarter than I did, they deserve to finish ahead of me.

I fully plan on smoking him based on training much smarter, harder, and more consistent. (I hope he is reading this) I am actually glad he has a full blown tri bike so he won't have any excuses other than he didn't suck it up get his training in. (again I hope he reads this)

Really there is only a small differences like Lee said. I contemplated buying one but there wasn't really any justification in having an entry level road bike and an entry level tri bike. I forewarned the wife today though I will celebrate getting to my final goal weight with a sweet (expensive, just because I like to have nice stuff) Full blown Tri bike.

I think that this bike will be fine for this season and probably next season to get into some Olympic distances next season. After reading a lot today my log term goal is to finish at least a IM 70.3, but right now I am focused on the short stuff.

Edited by TheyCallMeTiny 2008-05-22 8:10 PM

2008-05-23 5:54 AM

Expert
Hey you aero-bar people. I am supposed to get some for my road bike since I am not coming up w/the scratch to buy a tri-bike at this point. But I feel uncomfortable with the thought of riding out on the roads without having the brakes right there at hand. Isn't that an issue?? And would I need to get the gears re-cabled to go through the aerobars? Do they remain accessible the normal way too or are they then forever accessed via the aerobars?

Thanks guys.
2008-05-23 7:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Hopefully I'm the only one that takes along time for things to click.  i have read the TI book and watched the TI video and tried to incorporate them into my swimming with little success.

Last night I took my first lesson in Dallas with Coach Kristen and I can not believe the difference.  At first I thought price was alitlle high but I realized If I hadn't started this training I would be spending more than that on blood pressure and Cholestrol medicine, which I don't need anymore.

It might not be for everyone, but it helped my swimming 100% already. Can't wait till next time and for once I am not dreading getting in water again

2008-05-23 7:24 AM
in reply to: #1420396

Extreme Veteran
OKC
TheyCallMeTiny - 2008-05-22 8:05 PM

I think that this bike will be fine for this season and probably next season to get into some Olympic distances next season. After reading a lot today my log term goal is to finish at least a IM 70.3, but right now I am focused on the short stuff.

Definitely. More than one 70.3 has been won on a road bike too, so you're good to go.
2008-05-23 7:28 AM
in reply to: #1420791

Extreme Veteran
OKC
BabsVa - 2008-05-23 5:54 AM

Hey you aero-bar people. I am supposed to get some for my road bike since I am not coming up w/the scratch to buy a tri-bike at this point. But I feel uncomfortable with the thought of riding out on the roads without having the brakes right there at hand. Isn't that an issue?? And would I need to get the gears re-cabled to go through the aerobars? Do they remain accessible the normal way too or are they then forever accessed via the aerobars?

Thanks guys.

No, if you put aero bars on a road bike you don't have to re-route the cables.

If you are riding in a place/style where you need to be ready to brake at a moment's notice, then stay out of the aero bars. They're for the long stretches of open road where you're just hammering. I grew up on bikes, and did a fair amount of single-track mountain biking, so adjusting to the aero bars wasn't that big of a deal to me.

Also, the kind of bars you want on a road bike are going to be a little different than a full blown aero-cockpit found on a tri bike. A good bike shop will point you in the right direction; you'll want to stick with an ITU-style shorty aerobar, like the Oval that Tiny is going to use.
2008-05-23 7:29 AM
in reply to: #1420846

Extreme Veteran
OKC
Dwayne - 2008-05-23 7:21 AM

It might not be for everyone, but it helped my swimming 100% already.

Great. More than aero-wheels, more than a fancy bike, I think the biggest bang for the Tri-buck is getting some swimming lessons.

2008-05-23 10:03 AM
in reply to: #1420856

User image

Veteran
Leesburg, VA
lrobb - 2008-05-23 8:29 AM

Dwayne - 2008-05-23 7:21 AM

It might not be for everyone, but it helped my swimming 100% already.

Great. More than aero-wheels, more than a fancy bike, I think the biggest bang for the Tri-buck is getting some swimming lessons.

My neighbor is a swim coach and owns a water polo team so he went with us to our pool and helped us for about 20 min and made a huge difference. My kids are going to join his team durring the summer to help with their swimming for kids tri's and he is going to work with us twice a week prior to their practices for a few bucks a week. I made him agree to take money becasue he didnt want to charge.

Also I found someone locally from the Northern VA thread on this board that does OWS (open water swim) lessons at private lake. I talked to her yesterday and for $50 and hour my wife and I are going to work with her so we can get confortable swimming the the "dark water". I thought that this was very reasonable. She works with numerous swimmers and triathletes in the area and comes very highly recomended. She paddles along side in a kyack while you are swimming.

I am so excited and like you Dwayne I figure money spent here is money saved on medication later.

Edited by TheyCallMeTiny 2008-05-23 10:04 AM
2008-05-23 10:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Leesburg, VA
I added the oval A700 slam aero bars that came with my wifes Parma to the Felt last night. We went on an 8 mile ride this morning and I was very impressed with how confortable I was in the aero position. Judging from my shadow I was actually in a decent position not exactly flat back but not bad for a still larger than average guy. I was happy that unlike riding in my drops my knees were not pounding my belly. The bars did almost get in the way when I am out of the saddle climbing. But as long as I pay attention my knees don't hit them.

I am so stoked becasue all of this money and work is comming together. The best part is the work isn't really work anymore. I look forward to training every day even the run.

Last night my wife and I went for our scheduled 14 min run at a new track we found at the elementary school near where my son had a game later in the evening. As we were running I was trying to figure out how long the track was becasue the lap times we were turing had us at a 10 min mile pace. I figured that the track was not .25 miles becasue that is pretty fast for me. I used www.mapmyride.com today and the track is .24 miles so we averaged 10.5 min miles for the whole run. This is awesome. I would never guessed that I would have improved that much in such a short amount of time.

Sorry for the long posts but my excitement got the best of me.
2008-05-23 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Leesburg, VA
2008-05-23 5:03 PM

User image

Expert
Babs.

I use clip on aero bars. The brakes and gears stay right where they are now on your bike.

The bars just let you get aero and lean on the pads. No gears on these. If I want to change gears or brake, I take one arm off the pad and put one hand on the levers so I can change gears or brake.

When I am in traffic, I am never on the aerobars. Always upright with both hands on the hoods so I can steer better and brake and change gears instantly. Same when I am on the bike path and am getting near walkers or other people on bikes that I don't trust. Not worth crashing because someone decides to get in my way at the last minute. I just slow down until I am past them.

I use the Profile Design Air stryke bars, which have springs under the pads, so they pop up when you are not leaning on them. Gives me a little more access to the handlebars when I want to climb or rest my hands somewhere other than the hoods or drops.
2008-05-24 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

Hi Guys,

Kelly, a woman that lives 9 miles from me that I met on BT, invited me to a clinic with her coach, Bob Byard. He's a 17 x IM finisher. He gave me some great swim tips and also suggested that I do the two x a month mini series locally. They are mini sprints but get longer as the summer progresses.
As for OWS tips: pick the landmark you are going to site from higher on the horizon than you think you will need to. When you get in the water, get down to where you can just pick your head up and make sure you can still see the landmark. Sometimes it is hard to see the buoy. As for positioning, he said to choose your start according to a preplanned strategy. Most people want to start on the inside towards the front. If you are hesitant, got to the outside towards the back. The best tip was to get horizontal before the horn goes off. You can count down from 3 and as they count start on 3,2,1 and be horizontal in the water and hit your first stroke as soon as the horn goes off. As for the turns, the most collisions occur right by the buoy. a lot of people stop right next to the buoy as they turn and it gets in a jam. Bob said it is best to swim 5 or 6+ M out to avoid the crush. At the finish, stay horizontal as long as possible. Standing to push in the H20 at waist level is a big energy drain. Swim until your hand touches bottom on the down stroke and then stand. When you get out, you should pace yourself well enough in the swim to not be out of breath. You have been horizontal for a while and need to give your body time to get readjusted to being vertical. Take some small drinks but wait about 10 minutes into your bike to gu up. If you can, draft. Find someone that is about 1-1.5 body lengths in front of you and swim in their wake. He said it saves about 30% of your energy! I think that's it! Like I said, it was very informative. I am feeling more relaxed in the water, and when I am feeling the panic rise, I'm getting better at stopping it. No reason for the panic except in my head. If I get out of rhythm, I breathe out of sequence...it messes me up.  I can get beck to where I was more easily with practice. I thought I'd share what I learned yesterday!

Have a great weekend 

Les 

2008-05-24 9:49 AM

User image

Expert
Thanks Les,

Those are great tips.

I just got my wetsuit, and signed up for a lake swim next week.
2008-05-24 7:39 PM

User image

Expert
32 miles riding today. About 5 sucking Christina's wheel. ( Sucking wheel = drafting... being within a bike wheel of the person in front of you).

Not allowed in USAT goverened triathlons. But some of the tri's I do are draft legal and this is great experience. You have to trust the person ahead of you, and you better control your speed or you will crash into them and you both go down. Not good at 35 miles per hour. I do not do this on the aerobars.

Lowest point in the canyon elevation 160 feet. Highest point 1471 feet.
2008-05-27 11:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Leesburg, VA
My wife and I got in a run while vacationing in the mountains of North Carolina this weekend. WOW was that brutal. I have not stopped on a run in a long time and half way up the last hill I stopped for about 3 seconds before I caught my self slacking and started running again.

Running the hills is no joke. I feel for any of you who "get" to train in this environment everyday.
2008-05-27 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
Good job on picking it up again Tiny.

Heat, humidity and hills are tough.

One nice thing about my heart rate monitor, I can pretty much tell when the rate gets above a certain heart rate, that my body will shut down and force me to walk within a minute or two.

So I race below that level, and if I hit hills I keep the rate the same, which means I slow down pace wise. I always see people running up hills at the same pace they do the flats, and sure enough a few minutes later they are walking and I am passing them.
2008-05-27 2:59 PM

User image

Expert
Be careful out there, a very expensive bike was stolen from a large Tri in Austin this last week end.

I have had bike shoes stolen at the UCLA tri. Now my shoes and garmin go inside the transition bag when not in use.

Looks like the bike was taken out through a hole in a back fence. Usually to get your bike out you have to show your bib number that matches the number on your bike to a volunteer to get out.

2008-05-28 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Leesburg, VA
I have been contemplating a HRM for a few weeks. I am trying to decide to get a Garmin something so that I can dump the info right into my log. I want to find out what everybody else uses and what they think about it.

Another problem right now is that I am training with my wife. This is awesome to have a training partner but I am trying to figure out a way to get a good work out while riding becasue she rides at a lower level. I want to ride with her but she has problems keeping up with me becasue I have been riding longer than she has.

2008-05-28 9:44 AM
in reply to: #1428173

Extreme Veteran
OKC
TheyCallMeTiny - 2008-05-28 9:24 AM

I have been contemplating a HRM for a few weeks. I am trying to decide to get a Garmin something so that I can dump the info right into my log. I want to find out what everybody else uses and what they think about it.

Another problem right now is that I am training with my wife. This is awesome to have a training partner but I am trying to figure out a way to get a good work out while riding becasue she rides at a lower level. I want to ride with her but she has problems keeping up with me becasue I have been riding longer than she has.

I have a Forerunner 50 and love it. I have the cycling attachement, heart rate strap, and footpod. Haven't used it to try uploading to BT, but do upload to Garmin Training Center. I'm pretty obsessive about monitoring, but you can still have an effective training program without any of the fancy tools.

2008-05-28 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
I use the 305, but do not have the foot pods. The 305 has the heart rate monitor.

As far as training with the wife, here is what I do. I have hard workouts and I have easy workouts. Hard work outs back to back will wind up injuring you. So one day is hard one is easy.

I do my hard workouts by myself, or with my friends or tri club members. The easy days I do with the g/f.

Hard days are hills, or intervals or really long runs or rides. The easy stuff I do with her, side by side.

When I am doing a long day, we might go to the path together and say we will meet back at the car in 2 hours. Go out an hour and back an hour. I might run or ride at my pace, get a quarter mile ahead of her and circle back and ride with her for a bit then go out again.

Intervals can be done on the high school track. Kids can play on the infield, she can run or walk at her pace, and you do your thing. You are never more than 200 yards from her, and the kids are never more than 50 yards away. Or she and they can sit in the bleachers and read or do what ever.

Training is usually tough. One spouse will normally advance faster than another, either due to men having more testosterone, so their muscles can do more, or the woman may be more into it than the man and train harder or smarter.

Having training parters who you don't live with can be even worse. They usually train with you till their event is done, then they stop showing up, or they want to spend more time with family and they stop or reduce training. And its not just triathlon, it is any endurance event. My running friends have the same problem.
2008-05-28 3:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
OKC
Wife and I are the same speed..............on spin bikes.

We did a lot of spin class together for a while, before we had our son.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » lrobb's group full - the work is plentiful, success is guaranteed! Rss Feed  

of 18