Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2008-07-01 9:07 AM
in reply to: #1372061

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Gnu's Group - CLOSED
Just take it easy. Pay pretty close attention Saturday if you decide to ride. I am starting to get pretty stoked...

2008-07-01 12:35 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Yeah, me too. I can't wait to do that ride. It is going to be very challenging but fun I am sure. Of course I am probably not as anxious as you are to take the new rocket ship for its maiden voyage but excited none the less
2008-07-01 1:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

Ooh, the hip thing sounds painful.  Maybe lay off everything for a day or two.  Lost of ice and motrin. 

I think I have my team together for the cleve tri.  Which is cool, but I'm a little bummed b/c I was getting psyched to try the sprint myself.  And my biker only wants to do the 8 mile bike not the 16, so it looks like I'll just be swimming 300yards, and the run is another coworker and it's only 1.5 miles. Anyways, it's ok, it will still be fun!   

2008-07-01 10:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
The relay will give you the experience and make you want to do this even more!!
2008-07-01 10:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Ahhhh, Pretty....

The GNU Bike...

Edited by gremlin327 2008-07-01 10:01 PM

(Transition_3.jpg)

(Transition_4.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Transition_3.jpg (36KB - 15 downloads)
Transition_4.jpg (33KB - 19 downloads)
2008-07-02 5:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Well, the wedding contest has started again. Not sure if we mentioned we are in the top 3. If you get a chance, please go out and vote (preferably for Courtney and I). Also, feel free to pass the link on...

http://www.usmagazine.com/wedding-2008-finalists

Thanks!
Gnu

2008-07-02 6:59 AM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Wow, very nice. Why don't you upgrade to a disk rear and maybe a HED 3 and throw those zipps in when you sell me you crank.

Best of luck for your wedding competition. I will be sure to vote daily and I will send the link to all of my two friends that I still have now that I spend every possible free moment doing tri related activities.

Mike
2008-07-02 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

Such a cute video!  Love it!  I have a small army of folks voting for ya'll so I'm thinking you've got it in the bag.

Lovely ride you have there, have you taken it out yet? 

2008-07-02 5:12 PM

User image

Gary - I wasn't expecting to see a picture of you and Courtney in the US Weekly magazine today but there you were! Great picture by the way, you guys should win by a landslide!

Also, I'm really liking the bike. I have a week and a half until our first sprint and if I like it I see some aero bars in my near future. I'm so excited!

2008-07-04 8:20 AM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Well Gnu the big ride is tomorrow. I wonder if it is too late to back out. Those hills are going to kill me. Not to mention I have never actually covered that distance on a bike. Sounds like a combination for a very painfull ride. Yippeeee
2008-07-04 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

Have fun on those hills boys!

As for me, I took my first ever BREAK from hills.  Got a cool new Saris 2-bones rack and took my bike to a path.  It was a perfect place for me to do a brick; I went 6.4 miles out and back on a paved path and then jogged on a gravel path for 2 miles.  

The bike path was TOTALLY FLAAAAAT!  I've NEVER ridden on totally flat land before.  14 miles took me an hour on my hilly course; 13.8 miles on this flat ride only took me 45 minutes!  That's so unreal!  I was spinning the whole time, it was awesome.  I kept waiting for some monster hill to climb, but there were none!  Not to mention no dealing with cars and traffic lights.  It honestly was my first VERY enjoyable bike ride.   Scenery was amazing too.

And the run was good also; I have a hard time gauging how fast I'm going on bricks since my legs feel all goofy, but I know the distance on this path was just over 2 miles. 

2008-07-04 4:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
I am glad to hear you have finally enjoyed a ride, that is awesome. See, all those holls made the flat feel easy! Our problem is we are always on flats, I do not think tha goes the opposite ways. Hills ae a nice change.
2008-07-06 6:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Mike. Great rideyesterday, glad we were able to finally meet. We will have to do San Antonio next time, maybe stretch it out to 75. How far are you from SR50 and I-75? I know it is alot closer to me.
2008-07-06 9:41 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Thanks for the invite. I had a blast. It was fun doing a group ride for the first time. It really challenged me and was a great learning experience. I was able to push harder than I would have on a solo ride. I know I slowed the pace there in the middle. A big thing I learned was about my nutrition.

I am still learning about that and how many calories I need to take in. I think if I had started my nurtition a little earlier I may have fared better, so lesson learned there.

I would love to come over and ride that. I am all about stretching the distance. From the elevations I have looked at I think it looks like San An may be a little tougher than Clermont so that scares me a little.

I have another bike question. Well I am figuring out the fix now but it is about my cassette. I think I told you that I bent some of the sprockets but found that to be wrong today, when I stated to take a look at it I found that the 12 and 13 are spinning freely. The rest can be wiggled with almost and 1/8 of play in them. I am new to all this bike gear but without breaking it down it seams like the cassette is coming apart. Not sure what caused this but that is why I thought they were bent because they were not spinning true they are leaning all over.

I am about to remove my rear wheel and take a closer look so I should now more. Do you have any idea what would cause this and how to avoid it? I have never seen anyone post anything about this happening so it seems a little freakish.

I am about 20 min from I-4 and I -75. I am not sure how far north I have to take 75 to hit 50. It takes me comparable time to get to 27 or 75 so I can ride either way. New places are always a plus. I will be sure to have my gear in good working order. Although my motor may not be quite ready.

Are you going to try to ride that before Lake Placid. If so I may slow you down too much to get any real benefit. But I am always game for a challenge and if you and shawn want a reason to wait at the top of the hill, I will be that guy for you.

Edited by triguynewbie 2008-07-06 10:01 PM
2008-07-06 11:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
So you have recognized the first thing I recognized on my first long group ride. You eat ALOT more than you can imagine and you should not wait until you are hungry. I try to eat every 30-40 min on a group ride. In a race, every 10 miles for the first half, then every 5 miles. If you start to feel hungry or thirsty, it is wayyyy too late.

A few of those rides and you will get very strong very fast. My last ride before IMLP is going to be my normal Sat. am ride. We meet at the Friendship trail (Gandy Bridge, Tampa side) at 7:30 am, ride to St. Pete, ride a loop with the St. Pete Bike club, then we ride back. As described there, it is about 55 miles. If I ride from my house straight there and back, it adds 10 miles (I live 5 miles from there). Sometimes I add another 5 each direction to get it to 75 by tooling the long way around S. Tampa. This week I will probably just ride straight there and back for 65. It is a good ride for me because I leave my house at 7am and am home by 10:30-11:00am vs. the Clermont ride where I left home at 5am and returned at 3pm and rode 59. However, it is dead flat the entire ride, so the 59 did more for me, just not worh the time too often.

Feel free to join that ride anytime. Probably about an hour from your house. Man, I just looked on a map, it is not really easy to get anywhere from Bartow is it?

As far as the cassette, probably just worn out. Cassette's and chain's are like tires, they need replacement every 1-2 years (depending on mileage). Most people do not replace them as often as they should. The hills identified that problem. Like the guy who bailed and then could not tighten his bars. If anything is loose or worn out, hammering hills will bring the issue to the surface because you put sooooo much more stress on your bike. I would just replace those parts.

Edited by gremlin327 2008-07-06 11:25 PM
2008-07-07 9:28 AM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Well I am pretty sure it wasn't just worn out. I took the rear wheel and my cassette came apart with it. Whatever locks the cassette together is either gone or obliterated beyond recognition.

My bike is only about two months old and before Saturdays ride I had a grand total of 186.9 miles on it. So I am not sure what happened. I am going to go take it to a bike shop this week and make sure I didn't damage my hub.

I figured out that the 59 mile we did Saturday accounts for a litle over 20 % of the total volume on a bike I have ever done. So all in all I don't think I did too poorly, but I have a ton of room for improvement.

That sounds like a good ride. I will have to join you for that some time. I might try to do some local group rides and build my volume so I don't slow you down so much.

2008-07-07 1:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

Glad you guys had a great ride!  Sounds killer, I know I definitely couldn't hang that long! 

I dabbled in some OWS this weekend, and wanted to get some suggestions on sighting.  Couldn't quite get a feel for it.  Thoughts? 

2008-07-07 9:05 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
I started to ask if that was a lake swim or ocean but then I remembered you location. I have always swam parrallel with the shore and based my line a little on depth and sighted a little. Needless to say I will be of no help in this area.

But good getting out there and swimming. What is the water temp like. I did a lake swim a few days back and the water temp was 91. Was more like taking a bath than swimming but it was good to swim anyway.

Got a good brick in tonight. Had to ride my MTB so my times SUCKED but was a good workout anyway.

2008-07-08 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
186 miles, yeah, not worn out. That is bizzare! Never seen that happen. Kinda makes sence though, if something is going to come apart, it either happens with use or a defect. If it is a defect, it tends to break early. Sounds like this is the first time you really stressed it with hills and sure enough, that made it come apart. Hills are like 100 times more stressful to the bike than flats, which is why I wanted to test my new bike on them before I got to Placid. The LBS you bought the bike at should replace the part under warrenty, that is crazy!

Glad to hear you are OWSing. OWS sighting takes practice, but here are some items I find work.

1. Landmarkes - find one. Make sure it is not something that can move, like a parked car that may suddenly drive away on you (unless it is your car, in which you may want to swim faster if it is driving away because it is getting stolen).

2. About every 4-8 strokes, do the "Tarzan". What is the Tarzan you ask?.?.?. Remember the old B&W Tarzan movies where he would jump in the water with a knife in his teeth and swim freestyle with his head above the water, that is the tarzan... When you swim in a pool, practice it one length each time. You have to get used to transitioning from regular stroke, to Tarzan for 2-3 strokes (that is about how long it takes to get your berrings) and then back into regular stroke. Practice 25 yards of Tarzan, then practice the transition. It works much better than what many do, which is stop freestyle, switch to Breast stroke and then go back. Practicing 25 yards helps you learn not to drink water while doing it, which is surprisingly easy to do.

3. Another drill in the pool is close your eyes and try to swim 25 yards without bumping into the lane line. This helps you learn to swim a straight line, also gets you used to not seeing the bottom, which if Lake Erie looked like it did when I lived in Buffalo, is the case.

Lastly, speaking of Lake Erie. It may not be the ocean, but you can easily get waves as big as the ocean, or bigger because it is so shallow, so be careful.

Gnu
2008-07-08 8:07 PM
in reply to: #1513861

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

gremlin327 - 2008-07-08 9:25 AM

1. Landmarkes - find one. Make sure it is not something that can move, like a parked car that may suddenly drive away on you (unless it is your car, in which you may want to swim faster if it is driving away because it is getting stolen).

LOL thanks for the tip!

Tried to Tarzan today and it didn't go well.  I felt like it was SO much more effort/exertion.  I am of the occassional breast stroke camp for now, which I DO understand is not ideal, but it's easier for me at this point.  Really my approach is to just get THROUGH the swim period!  At least for this first race.   

I am getting concerned b/c I don't think I am going to be able to meet with my coworker's TnT group for an OWS before the race.  And I have no one else to swim with.  Help!  I really didn't have any concern over the swim portion, but I keep reading BTers who say they are "strong swimmers" freaking out when the try an OWS.  I've never been afraid of the ocean/deep water/not seeing the bottom, it just never occurred to me to be something to be afraid of.  But now other people's stories are giving me new neurosis!  My brain is already trying to psych me out, I don't need anything else added to it. 

2008-07-08 9:23 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Don't let other peoples woes bother you. I think half the time they have never stepped foot in Open Water before race day and the other half are bored and need something to post about. If you were swimming the English Channel or the bay at Alcatraz you would have reason to be concerned.

Since you are not, make a plan and stick to it. Just relax, have fun, survive the swim and get on with the race. Not doing a group swim before the race isn't going to make or break it for you. Put you time in the water and go out there and kick some a$$.

2008-07-09 6:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
I agree with Mike, 100%. I never did an OWS other than my tris for the first few years I did them. I really see liitle difference other than OWS can make you a stronger swimmer because there is no wall to push off of, plus you have to learn to sight. As long as you have no inherent fear of open water in general (as mike said, some are just scared of open water no matter what) you WILL be fine. Position yourself where you are comfortable and swim your own race. That said, I still reccomend that you do not position yourself in the very back. As bad as you think your swim might be or that you are a "just to get through it" swimmer, you will be AMAZED at how bad some people are at swimming. Like, never swam before the event, flip on their back the entire race bad. You do not want to be behind them as Mike found out in that Mad Beach Super Sprint he did. You have been training, draw confidence from that and do not worry about what others are saying or doing. You will be AWESOME!
2008-07-09 11:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

Thanks guys!  I never thought I'd have a problem in the water; I grew up swimming in lakes and oceans.  I just wasn't sure what the line was between confident and stupid. 

Had to go on a spin bike at work today (rough schedule this week) and did 45 minutes.  Funny thing is, I hardly felt like I did anything!  I even did intervals by ramping up the resistance really high.  I think I'm hitting that point where I could definitely be going farther in each discipline, but I'm hamstrung by time constraints.  Bummer. 

2008-07-09 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
all good, quality over quantity is OK... You are going to be so overprepared I think you are going to surprise yourself. I saw o quote on somebody's post that I liked... "Your never as good or bad as you think you are"... So true!
2008-07-10 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

Yeah its funny, I keep telling people I wish the race was THIS weekend.  I feel ready NOW!  I don't want to be ansty-ing around another week.  It's ok though, I still need to get my tri top/bottoms and get my self together for transitions and such.  That will keep my busy.

(So has our group been reduced to a three way conversation???

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gnu's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 13