General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2009-04-18 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2094407

User image

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

ironlib - 2009-04-18 4:40 PM hey all... newer to this group but wanted to share. I was warming up for an oly tomorrow and got hit by a car this am....
I was going 25 and this guy was making a left turn and tried to gun it and cut in front of me.  Luckily I laid the bike down hard on my left side and wound up under his truck.  My front chain ring was stuck under his bumper and my new kuota kfactor is now in about 4 pieces (actually there are 6 breaks: the downtube, both seat and chain stays and the seat post are completely severed).  All in all I'm pretty lucky so far.  just really sore and lots of road rash
just got back from the er and hoping to heal up, get a new bike and get back out there. I'm so angry and disappointed right now. Hopefully its only a setback of a few days and I'll be ready for cda...   hope I will get to meet everyone out at the race still

Wow!  That sucks!  I hope  you heal up really fast... I hope his insurance is paying for the bike!

2009-04-18 9:53 PM
in reply to: #2094302

User image

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois

mattb1 - 2009-04-18 3:25 PM

McFuzz - 2009-04-18 9:53 AM

c_cic - 2009-04-18 8:33 AM I know it's a little early, but is there a way for us to ID each other at the race?   I hope we can all meet up for a swim or something, but what about during the race?  What do BT-ers usually do?  I'd hate to miss the chance to cheer on any of you as you pass me!  Smile 

There will be a tracking thread with name, screen-name, bib #, and expected splits.  I think BT'ers usually try to meet up for a lunch/dinner before-hand too (anyone local want to try to find a place, BAMBAM66 and I will attend? ). 

I'd be interested in meeting up for lunch\dinner before the race.  Last year at IMKY we all met up and went to the Athlete's dinner together on Friday night and then met up for the swim and a quick ride on Saturday morning.  As we get closer I can put together a contact sheet for everybody (name, email, phone, etc...) and pass it out to everybody and figure out a place to meet. 

I'm totally up for meeitng everyone... getting a contact list, etc... Excellent idea!

2009-04-18 10:09 PM
in reply to: #1785381

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

I'm arriving late Wed afternoon so will probably hit the Gatorade swim first thing Thurs morning if anyone wants to meet up

2009-04-18 10:20 PM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

ironlib - 2009-04-18 6:40 PM hey all... newer to this group but wanted to share. I was warming up for an oly tomorrow and got hit by a car this am....
I was going 25 and this guy was making a left turn and tried to gun it and cut in front of me.  Luckily I laid the bike down hard on my left side and wound up under his truck.  My front chain ring was stuck under his bumper and my new kuota kfactor is now in about 4 pieces (actually there are 6 breaks: the downtube, both seat and chain stays and the seat post are completely severed).  All in all I'm pretty lucky so far.  just really sore and lots of road rash
just got back from the er and hoping to heal up, get a new bike and get back out there. I'm so angry and disappointed right now. Hopefully its only a setback of a few days and I'll be ready for cda...   hope I will get to meet everyone out at the race still

Hope you're okay!  Take the time to heal up, and hopefully we'll see you at CdA!

2009-04-19 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

ironlib - 2009-04-18 7:40 PM hey all... newer to this group but wanted to share. I was warming up for an oly tomorrow and got hit by a car this am....

Yikes!  Glad to hear you are ok.  That sounds scary!

Like others, I am up for meeting to swim, lunch/dinner, etc.  2 years ago a bunch of us met to swim on Friday morning then did a short ride up to Higgens Point and back. 

2009-04-19 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
ironlib - 2009-04-18 7:40 PM hey all... newer to this group but wanted to share. I was warming up for an oly tomorrow and got hit by a car this am....

Crap that sucks. Glad to hear you are generally ok though. I am sure Insurance will be glad to pay whateder you need for the bike. They will want to avoid a law suit. Just mention it when they call and I suspect they'll be very helpful.

My buddy had a crash last year about 4 months out from IMLP. He had some moderate injuries but he recoup'd quickly and came back stronger than ever. Get back on the training bandwagon ASAP and we'll be racing in CdA!

2009-04-20 10:57 AM

Regular
Houston, Texas
ironlib - 2009-04-18 6:40 PM hey all... newer to this group but wanted to share. I was warming up for an oly tomorrow and got hit by a car this am....

Wow that sux!  And too bad about the bike.  I had a bad crash about a month ago and luckily only came away with severe road rash.  I pulled a rock out of my elbow 3 weeks after the wreck.  Hope you're back on it soon!
2009-04-20 6:19 PM

User image

Veteran
thanks guys!! I did some bike shopping therapy today which made me feel better  I think I might know what I want!  QR caliente!! no training yet for me, I can't really drive just yet but hoping that things will improve quickly from here and that I'm through the worst of it. 
I will see you all in CDA and I can't wait to meet everyone!! 
2009-04-20 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2098391

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
ironlib - 2009-04-20 7:19 PM thanks guys!! I did some bike shopping therapy today which made me feel better  I think I might know what I want!  QR caliente!! no training yet for me, I can't really drive just yet but hoping that things will improve quickly from here and that I'm through the worst of it. 
I will see you all in CDA and I can't wait to meet everyone!! 

I have a QR Caliente. It has been very good to me although I really like the new Specialized Transition.

Best of luck. Keep us up on how you do.
2009-04-21 5:40 AM

User image

Veteran
checked out the specialized transition, won't fit me. I'm one of those special girls who is only 5' tall.  So my  bike options and EXTREMELY limited.  Sucks too because there are plenty of short girls out there looking to buy nice bikes.  So far my only feasible options are: 
QR lucero titanium frameset
2008 QR caliente (which I love! hoping I can order one!!!)
possibly a cervelo P3 in a 48 (probably too long to order and too much $$$)
scott contessa plasma (probably too much $$ again)
reorder a kuota

felt, trek, kestrel, orbea, specialized all out of the picture.  none have bikes in my size (felt does but only at the higher price point).
Any other suggestions??

2009-04-21 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Here it is! my new bike! I hope I made the right choice but for alot of reasons, this bike really fits my needs and I think its quite a bit nicer than what I had. What do you think?!
Got it for $2600 from nytro (wanted to support LBS but they couldn't get an xs 08 in seduza, caliente or lucero).  Its set up with dura ace components, easton ea 50 sl training wheels (darn, no zipps like the pic), carbon fsa cranks....  I'll get it by this weekend and just have to get set up and fit on it! oh yea... and heal....

my new bike!!!

Edited by ironlib 2009-04-21 12:14 PM

2009-04-21 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
You are gonna FLY!!!!  Congrats on the new bike, hope you heal up fast!
2009-04-21 12:26 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Congrats! Glad to see you bouncing back so quickly and IN STYLE! Can't wait to see ya in a couple of months!

Pam
2009-04-21 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2100021

User image

Expert
Liberty Lake, WA

Nice bike, heal up quick so you can get out and ride it.

2009-04-21 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2100021

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Great bike. You will not be dissapointed!!!
2009-04-21 5:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois

Awesome bike... I know I'd look really good riding 15 mph on a bike like that!!

I hope you heal up really fast so you can get out and have a lot of fun on it!

2009-04-21 5:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois

So, I'm already getting butterflys!!  Damn, a bit early for that!

2009-04-21 8:47 PM

Sorry to hear about your crash and out on the oly.  You will get your bike soon, and all will be well.  I've been reading all your posts and just wanted everyone to know that I will be joining you all in CDA.  Never done an IM before, but have been training as I should.  Did a galveston, tx half iron 2 weeks ago, and getting ready to do OKC marathon this Sunday.  Gotta get that Marathon under my belt, right?  I look forward to chatting with you all, but have a silly question.  Will altitude play a big factor in CDA, and if so, what are all you doing to train for that?
2009-04-22 2:16 PM

User image

New user

Hey all-

I've been somewhat of a lurker on here for a while but never posted.  Anyway, I'll be in CDA this weekend on a training trip and was wondering if anyone else would be up there training too.  I'll be there Friday through Sunday, and I'm hoping to ride one loop of the bike course both Sat and Sun plus some running.  My original plans fell through, so now it's just me heading up there alone.  I'd love to have someone else to ride with!

2009-04-22 4:47 PM
in reply to: #2103238

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

pitbullgurl - 2009-04-22 2:16 PM

Hey all-

I've been somewhat of a lurker on here for a while but never posted.  Anyway, I'll be in CDA this weekend on a training trip and was wondering if anyone else would be up there training too.  I'll be there Friday through Sunday, and I'm hoping to ride one loop of the bike course both Sat and Sun plus some running.  My original plans fell through, so now it's just me heading up there alone.  I'd love to have someone else to ride with!

I won't be up there, but I'd love to hear your impressions of the course when you're done!

2009-04-22 5:11 PM
in reply to: #2101490

User image

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois

chironinja - 2009-04-21 6:47 PM Sorry to hear about your crash and out on the oly.  You will get your bike soon, and all will be well.  I've been reading all your posts and just wanted everyone to know that I will be joining you all in CDA.  Never done an IM before, but have been training as I should.  Did a galveston, tx half iron 2 weeks ago, and getting ready to do OKC marathon this Sunday.  Gotta get that Marathon under my belt, right?  I look forward to chatting with you all, but have a silly question.  Will altitude play a big factor in CDA, and if so, what are all you doing to train for that?

I train and live at sea level.  Last year I did a half iron that was between 4800 and 7800 feet (steep climb on the bike!)  That altitude did not bother me and I was very much afraid it would.  I don't imagine CDA being at around 2500 will be a problem.  But, the only way to train for altitude (without a lot of extra spending money) is to train at altitude.  It is worth going to an elevation that is similar to the race and just seeing what the affect is.

I've read that some focus on breathing less while swimming... sounds like a good idea, but I don't know how well it works. 

Good luck

2009-04-22 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2103603

Regular
Houston, Texas
AndrewMT - 2009-04-22 4:47 PM

pitbullgurl - 2009-04-22 2:16 PM

Hey all-

I won't be up there, but I'd love to hear your impressions of the course when you're done!

x2.  However, when she screams about the "mountains" and "terrain", remember she rides in pancake flat New Orleans.
2009-04-22 9:48 PM
in reply to: #2101490

User image

New user

Seattle
RE:  I look forward to chatting with you all, but have a silly question.  Will altitude play a big factor in CDA, and if so, what are all you doing to train for that?

I train in Seattle (can't get much more sea level) and didn't have any issues w/ altitude in CDA last year. 

During warm-ups the week of, I noticed my heart rate was a bit elevated -- but I think it was nerves/excitement because all was well on race day.
2009-04-22 10:58 PM
in reply to: #2103238

User image

Veteran
Spokane
Did you know that there is a 100 mile ride (and a few other shorter distances between 15 and 75 I think) on Sunday morning? It does NOT cover the Ironman course, but the ride is a good loop, organized and nice roads (for the most part). You should check it out. Here is the link:

http://www.active.com/page/Event_Details.htm?event_id=1704998&asset...

Good luck with training! How is everyones weekly mileage looking?
2009-04-24 1:43 PM

User image

New user

The Woodlands, Texas
I'm pumped about the race.  Based on my fuzzy-math, we have only 5-6 more weeks of training before the taper begins!  It's going to fly by.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 24