BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-02-18 1:29 PM
in reply to: #1967431

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED
astafford - 2009-02-17 9:32 PM

Question about cleats: is there a trick to walking with cleats? Should I walk as normal as possible, more on my heels, more on my toes? 

Also, right now I'm pedaling consistently between 13-16 mph. Will that be humiliating in a race? What kind of speeds do people get up to and stay at consistently? I can't do much more than I am now consistently, but do people pedal into the upper-20s? Higher? Lower?

Just be careful walking in cleats and  cycling shoes in general.  It's like walking on ice.  

With regard to cycling speed, you will be fine.  In my first tri race, there were folks walking their bikes up hills.  You can be sure that there will be folks faster than you and slower than you.  There will be folks that have done massive amounts of training and those that are very untrained.  The best advice I can give you is to enjoy your day.  

2009-02-18 10:22 PM
in reply to: #1879927

User image

Regular
Middletown

Wetsuit question all...

I live in NJ so more than likely almost all of my races will be wetsuit legal.  I plan on doing about 4-5 events, and dont want to have to rent all the time and have nothing for it.  I was wondering if anyone has a wetsuit and if so which one?  

2009-02-19 6:18 AM
in reply to: #1969807

User image

Peachtree City, GA
chris1214 - 2009-02-18 11:22 PM

Wetsuit question all...

I live in NJ so more than likely almost all of my races will be wetsuit legal.  I plan on doing about 4-5 events, and dont want to have to rent all the time and have nothing for it.  I was wondering if anyone has a wetsuit and if so which one?  

I have a Blue Seventy "Sprint". I went to a local tri shop here and they took some quick measurements and recommended this suit. I didn't want to spend lots of dollars but wanted something tri specific so I'd be comfortable. I really like the suit and it fits me reasonably well. Because of my build (broad shoulders, large chest compared to lower body), I personally would also consider two piece designs but I wasn't as educated at the time I made this purchase. Its a very individual thing and fit is critically important. My best recommendation would be to go somewhere that has a big selection and try several brands on. If the suits too tight, it will be difficult to move and more importantly breath. If it too loose, you're suit may either balloon up with water or at a minimum you'll increase your drag. I would advise looking for a tri specific suit if your budget allows as they are constructed to allow for competitive swimming and for faster stripping. 

2009-02-19 10:11 AM

User image

Austin, Tx

Crue and Jonathan, thanks for the advice.

I like both points and agree. I WOULD like to get faster, but I think I want to finish an Oly this year and push my endurance levels more than I want to get fast right now.

Growing up I was always the "jack of all trades" in sports. Never made A team anything. Never was top athlete. So simply participating in things is big deal for me.  I grew up never being first or fast...so I am kind of used to it and it doesn't bother me too much (at this point in Tri training).

I'm doing a sprint at the end of April and that will be my first.  The oly is on Memorial day. I am on an Oly training schedule so I will probably stick to it for the May race.

When I did the duathlon last month and saw all the people starting the longer distance race before us sprinters began, I got competitively jealous watching them all, thinking of their fitness levels thinking "I can do that! I just need to train!"

ha ha. I am sooo competitive. I also have two guy friends in town who are doing the same Tri I am in May and I am hoping they do the Sprint! ha ha...so I can say I went longer. They ran the half mary I did this wknd and of course ran a lot faster than I did. BOO!  Just more reason for me to train harder.

Holly

2009-02-20 1:25 PM

User image

Regular
Middletown
Got a question that I have been wondering about for a bit now.  I am 27 years old and  6'5" and 220lbs.  I dont consider myself heavy at all, just have a few pounds to lose in the belly region and I am good to go.  I have no idea what my body fat % is.  Should I being racing in the clydesdale division or in my age group?  Or does it really matter since this is my first season?
2009-02-22 7:12 PM
in reply to: #1973288

User image

Peachtree City, GA

chris1214 - 2009-02-20 2:25 PM  Should I being racing in the clydesdale division or in my age group?  Or does it really matter since this is my first season?

From my experience, that the only difference between an age grouper and a Clyde is that in the Clyde division, you will get smoked by fast, big dudes instead of fast, little dudes. All kidding aside, its as simple as your preference. If you're over 200 lbs, you could choose to race as a Clyde, simple as that. It could give you a different set of competitors if you think you may podium. For me, it really doesn't matter as I'm not that fast yet. 

2009-02-23 7:49 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte

Things are finially clicking for me this weekend on the bike and run.   I think I have corrected my diet so that I have more energy (now if I could convince my dog and kid to let me sleep...).  I was eating too few calories for the amount of energy I was exurting.

Yesterday I knocked out a 9 mile run at a 7:46/mile pace (which is my fastest "long" training run to date).  I felt very good even though it was cold and windy (at least by NC standards).  First time since my half marathon in December that I felt "good" on a long run. 

Saturday I put in a 21 mile bike ride by myself at 18.5 mph pace.  I got a new saddle and finally have my aerobars dialed in which made the ride way more comfortable.  My pace went up over 1/2 mph over the same ride last week.  Still have a long way to go but at least I see some progress.

Swimming wise I am doing ok.  I am up to 900 yard workouts and at least my head no longer feels like it is going to explode!  I thank Jonathan toward pointing me to the 3-month Beginner Swim program here at BT.  It is a very good and highly variable program that has kept me from getting bored (or pooped).  I am on the last week of month two.

I even felt so good this week that on Friday my wife and I submitted our applications for the NYC marathon in November.    Will have to wait until mid-june to see if we get in but that corresponds perfectly as my first triathlon is June 13th.  If I don't get in, I may do an Olympic in the fall (or another sprint or two in the summer).

2009-02-23 8:11 AM
in reply to: #1976731

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

That sounds like some good work bgraboski.  Sounds to me like you could do an Olympic much sooner than the fall if you wanted.  I'm envious of that run time.  If you work on that swimming a little you are looking good. 

Congrats though.  Its a great feeling when things start clicking. 

2009-02-24 9:30 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte

Question for Jonathan (or other experinced half'ers and triathletes).

How do you juggle workouts when you are training for a half marathon while also training for a tri? 

I have a half coming up in 8 weeks and with my current tri training, there is no way I can get in 4-5 runs a week like I did before my last half.  With my current schedule I get one easy, one speed (tempo or interval), and one long.  I currently do a 3x plan for all three sports and lift twice a week.

Is three runs enough?  Should I cut out a weekday bike/spin and add another run?  Maybe cut out the weights (I did this for the last half I did for the 8 weeks prior to race day to get to 5 runs a week).

Thoughts?

Edited by bgraboski 2009-02-24 9:31 AM
2009-02-24 9:48 AM
in reply to: #1978908

Charlotte
bgraboski - 2009-02-23 10:30 AM

How do you juggle workouts when you are training for a half marathon while also training for a tri? 

I have a half coming up in 8 weeks and with my current tri training, there is no way I can get in 4-5 runs a week like I did before my last half.  With my current schedule I get one easy, one speed (tempo or interval), and one long.  I currently do a 3x plan for all three sports and lift twice a week.

Is three runs enough?  Should I cut out a weekday bike/spin and add another run?  Maybe cut out the weights (I did this for the last half I did for the 8 weeks prior to race day to get to 5 runs a week).

Thoughts?

I'm not an experienced tri'er but I am in the same boat.  I have a half on 3/7, but I've just been going with 3 runs per week for the last 2 months or so while still doing my tri training.  I did an 11 mile run this morning and I felt great.  I don't feel like I'm lacking in the training department for the half.  My legs and lungs are strong because I've actually been working out MORE than I did when I was just running, and I seem to have far less bangs and bruises than when I was running 5 days a week.  I feel good and feel like the half won't be an issue at all.  That's my (limited) experience, if it helps at all.

2009-02-27 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

Hey everyone, what's on the agenda this weekend?  Any good sessions planned?

I almost had an off day today but the weather in CT is the nicest its been in awhile and I was fortunate to be able to take a "power" lunch and get the bike out for a little bit.

Hey, I just have to report this one.  I broke 200lbs.  I'm at 199.6 today right before lunch.  I started at 217lbs at Christmas and then 212lbs I think when I started the log on Jan 10th or 11th.  I'm getting there eventually, that is just a nice benchmark for me.

2009-02-27 7:07 PM
in reply to: #1969807

User image

Master
chris1214 - 2009-02-18 11:22 PM

Wetsuit question all...

I purchased my first wetsuit from here: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Wetsuitmandotnet_Wetsuits_W0QQ_fsubZ2QQ... run a little small so you should definitly get a size bigger.  Of course, as with anything, you should try one if if you can.

My second wetsuit is a DeSoto Black Pearl.  I love it and will never own another wetsuit.  Fits perfect and is awesome.  

2009-02-27 7:09 PM
in reply to: #1970389

User image

Master
HOLKYLE - 2009-02-19 11:11 AM

Growing up I was always the "jack of all trades" in sports. Never made A team anything. Never was top athlete. So simply participating in things is big deal for me.  I grew up never being first or fast...so I am kind of used to it and it doesn't bother me too much (at this point in Tri training).

I think you will find that triathlon is a sport were everyone generally encourages others. And you will find that there will always be folks faster and slower.  It definitly keeps me grounded like that. 

2009-02-27 7:13 PM
in reply to: #1973288

User image

Master
chris1214 - 2009-02-20 2:25 PM Got a question that I have been wondering about for a bit now.  I am 27 years old and  6'5" and 220lbs.  I dont consider myself heavy at all, just have a few pounds to lose in the belly region and I am good to go.  I have no idea what my body fat % is.  Should I being racing in the clydesdale division or in my age group?  Or does it really matter since this is my first season?

Generally, clyde division will have less folks in it.  I have a few great friends that race clyde. It's always great to see them place in their division.  There is also a novice division for those that have raced in 3 or less tris.  I placed in my second race in the novice division my first year. 
2009-02-27 7:14 PM
in reply to: #1976731

User image

Master
bgraboski - 2009-02-23 8:49 AM

Things are finially clicking for me this weekend on the bike and run.   I think I have corrected my diet so that I have more energy (now if I could convince my dog and kid to let me sleep...).  I was eating too few calories for the amount of energy I was exurting.

Yesterday I knocked out a 9 mile run at a 7:46/mile pace (which is my fastest "long" training run to date).  I felt very good even though it was cold and windy (at least by NC standards).  First time since my half marathon in December that I felt "good" on a long run. 

Saturday I put in a 21 mile bike ride by myself at 18.5 mph pace.  I got a new saddle and finally have my aerobars dialed in which made the ride way more comfortable.  My pace went up over 1/2 mph over the same ride last week.  Still have a long way to go but at least I see some progress.

Swimming wise I am doing ok.  I am up to 900 yard workouts and at least my head no longer feels like it is going to explode!  I thank Jonathan toward pointing me to the 3-month Beginner Swim program here at BT.  It is a very good and highly variable program that has kept me from getting bored (or pooped).  I am on the last week of month two.

I even felt so good this week that on Friday my wife and I submitted our applications for the NYC marathon in November.    Will have to wait until mid-june to see if we get in but that corresponds perfectly as my first triathlon is June 13th.  If I don't get in, I may do an Olympic in the fall (or another sprint or two in the summer).

That is some great training right there.
2009-02-27 7:16 PM
in reply to: #1978908

User image

Master
bgraboski - 2009-02-24 10:30 AM

Thoughts?

I never specifically train for a 1/2 marathon; I just make sure my long runs are around 10 miles every weekend.  This way, I'm always in 1/2 marathon shape.

3 runs is enough.  Make one your long run of 10 to 12 miles.  Make another a tempo or interval run.  Make the 3rd run an easy run.  Those 3 runs plus your swim and bike will be more than enough training.

2009-02-27 7:20 PM
in reply to: #1986041

User image

Master
acumenjay - 2009-02-27 1:56 PM

Hey everyone, what's on the agenda this weekend?  Any good sessions planned?

I almost had an off day today but the weather in CT is the nicest its been in awhile and I was fortunate to be able to take a "power" lunch and get the bike out for a little bit.

Hey, I just have to report this one.  I broke 200lbs.  I'm at 199.6 today right before lunch.  I started at 217lbs at Christmas and then 212lbs I think when I started the log on Jan 10th or 11th.  I'm getting there eventually, that is just a nice benchmark for me.

Congrats on breaking 200.  17 lbs is not a trivial amount to lose. 

This weekend is pretty busy at our house.  It's supposed to rain here so I'm about to get on my trainer for a 3 hour spin.  Then tomorrow I'll swim 3500 meters and do a 1 hr tempo ride later in the day.  Other activities include studying for my final exam (working on my MBA), taking my girls to birthday parties and then taking them to a father/daughter dance.  

Sunday I have another 1 hour tempo ride, then a 10 mile run.  I also have a 3 mile walk with my oldest daughter (Atlanta Hunger Walk). 
2009-02-28 10:53 AM
in reply to: #1957593

User image

Austin, Tx

Tleah.....

I am also a contact lens wearer. I just went and bought Aqua Sphere goggles at Academy yesterday. (Kaiman-women's) and they are GREAT!! No fogging, no leaking, and you can see so much in the pool. It made my swim so much  nicer.

I found them recommended on this site, so I figured I'd try them since they didn't have the vanquishers.  They were $16.

Love 'em!

Holly

2009-03-01 9:42 AM

User image

Regular
Kansas City
so im looking at doing a tri in may but the swim part is indoor. all of the tri shorts ive looked at say they cant be used in chlorinated water. im wondering what would you suggest to wear or use for this?
2009-03-01 10:39 AM
in reply to: #1989332

User image

Master
imsmith8 - 2009-03-01 10:42 AM so im looking at doing a tri in may but the swim part is indoor. all of the tri shorts ive looked at say they cant be used in chlorinated water. im wondering what would you suggest to wear or use for this?

It's fine to wear tri shorts once or twice in the pool.  I would not wear then all the time though.  I would have no problem wearing my favorite tri shorts in a pool for an indoor tri (or indoor swim to a normal tri).
2009-03-03 7:44 AM
in reply to: #1989399

jonathan22 - 2009-03-01 8:39 AM
imsmith8 - 2009-03-01 10:42 AM so im looking at doing a tri in may but the swim part is indoor. all of the tri shorts ive looked at say they cant be used in chlorinated water. im wondering what would you suggest to wear or use for this?

I wear my tri shorts all the time, our pool is a salt water pool. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Just make sure you rinse them out every night after swimming.

2009-03-03 7:57 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

I wear my Tri shorts for everything too.  I have a couple pairs of the 2XU comp shorts and a pair of the 2XU elite shorts too and I love them.  I got sick of changing into the jammers at the gym after a bike/run/st session.  I also just love the feel on the bike without going to a full bike short because I have other parts of my workout to finish.  The shorts I bought say they are at least more resistant than regular Tri shorts to chlorine.  I know they'll get worn down, but I can live with that. 

Once in awhile if I'm doing ST and a run or something without a bike or swim I'll go to my under armour boxers that I also like.  They just ride up on the bike though.

Alright...this isn't a 2XU commercial

2009-03-03 5:30 PM
in reply to: #1993520

User image

Peachtree City, GA

So I have my first century ride (101 miles) one week from this Saturday. I feel pretty good for the distance. Got to get in one last long, but controlled, ride in this weekend. I feel that I've dialed in a reasonable nutrition plan for the bike to stay cramp- and bonk-free. My only unknown is really a good way to taper for a cycling only endurance event. My initial thoughts are:

- Sat or Sun: ~50-60 miles ride at 16-17 mph pace

- Mon: Go hard one last time at my morning interval spin class morning

- Tue: usual upper body strength routine at usual intensity, increase carbs in diet

- Wed: Go easy at morning 2hr spin class, more carbs

- Thur: go light but high rep at lower body strength routine, carbs + more carbs

- Fri: cross-train light intensity on elliptical, hit a crab high and go to bed extra early

- Sat: Drive down to race (leave by 6:15A, 1 hr trip, 8:30A mass start), have typical OCD moment about what I must have forgotten at home, try to befriend some (or a couple of) groups I can tag onto (101 miles would be mighty lonely solo and not to mention a lot harder pushin' wind)

Any advice, recommendations are greatly appreciated.

2009-03-03 8:28 PM

I just bought Sugoi tri shorts and I was wondering about wearing them in the pool, too. I don't plan on swim training in them (I still have my board shorts that creates significant drag and I wear them every time I swim), but it's good to know I can wear my tri's a few times in the pool. I'll probably wear them one swim session the week before my tri, then for the tri itself. I wore them for a good ride this week and I love them. It was also warm enough to wear my tri shoes without socks and I liked that, too.

I haven't done anything since Saturday because of my Sunday recovery day and the snow and ice that hit Sunday night/Monday. Tomorrow I'll get back in the pool. My last 3-mile run was a 10:03 pace and my swim was 2:23/100m. I'd like to try to break 10 min/mi and 2:00/100m swim by the tri. On my 7mi ride I went between 16.9mph to 20.4mph. That's a steady 3mph increase since I got my clipless pedals and shoes.

I'm making good progress I think. And I've broken that 177lb plateau this week. I'm at 174.2 this morning and I hope to see 173+/- by the weekend.

2009-03-03 9:45 PM
in reply to: #1995071

User image

Regular
Middletown
Hacksaw - 2009-03-03 6:30 PM

So I have my first century ride (101 miles) one week from this Saturday. I feel pretty good for the distance. Got to get in one last long, but controlled, ride in this weekend. I feel that I've dialed in a reasonable nutrition plan for the bike to stay cramp- and bonk-free. My only unknown is really a good way to taper for a cycling only endurance event. 

- Sat: Drive down to race (leave by 6:15A, 1 hr trip, 8:30A mass start), have typical OCD moment about what I must have forgotten at home, try to befriend some (or a couple of) groups I can tag onto (101 miles would be mighty lonely solo and not to mention a lot harder pushin' wind)

Any advice, recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I am not exactly sure how people taper down for a cycling event.  But I did complete a 175 mile weekend last year (100 mile saturday and 75 mile sunday).  I started with a group but ended up keeping a pace many did not want to try to maintain.  So off on my own I went.  I ended up picking up a few riders here and there between rest stops.  My best advice to you is that if you notice people tagging along for the ride, make sure you drop back and let them do some work too.  I noticed that a lot of people were just hanging on to me and not sharing the load.  Once I found a few guys that wanted to attempt a paceline, it become really fun.  Unfortunately that was bout 75 miles in)  Everyone was encouraging as the leader dropped back and we kept a 25mph average.  Just load up on carbs and try to get as much sleep as possible.  I was so excited to night before I ended up with just a couple hours of sleep.  

Good luck on the ride and let us know how it went.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 15