BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tamio's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2009-05-13 6:37 AM
in reply to: #2078490

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Subject: RE: Tamio's Group - CLOSED - FULL
Way to push through Melly!  But don't forget, rest is important too...

Is anyone a USAT member?  If you are, can you post the checklist that they send to you?  I'm nervous that I'm going to forget something this weekend...

Thanks

Matt

2009-05-13 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
In the end, if you have your bike, bike shoes, helmet and something to s, b, and r in your will be OK!!  You will be fine, this is what you have been preparing for.  Good luck!
2009-05-13 3:39 PM
in reply to: #2145690

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
abrezo - 2009-05-12 9:13 AM Also, what are good run workouts to reduce time splits, details pleaseWink

Adam, Don't know if you got this question answered, but here's my way.  Divide your DESIRED mile split by 8.  This is your 200 meter (1/2 lap on school track) split.  Play with this until you can nail the time within 3-5 sec.   Then try a full lap (desired mile time divided by 4).  Once you 'feel' this pace-you can start to work some surges into your daily runs were you mimic this pace for 3-5-10 minutes.  Good Luck.
2009-05-13 5:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
Thanks for the assists on the run info, I will put it to use.

Just signed up for the majority of my races today.  It's amazing the shift in focus that occurs once the money is put down!  Here's my schedule for the season:

5/17:  Cleveland Rite Aid 10k                                                          

6/7:  Deer creek sprint <------------------- FIRST EVER TRIATHLON   

6/21:  Maumee Bay Sprint

7/5:  Caesar Crek Sprint

7/12:  NCN Summer tri-  Rat Racing Lorain Sprint

8/2:  Cleveland tri Sprint

8/16:  Vermilion Tri Sprint

9/12-13:  Portage Lakes Sprint

9/27:  Toyota Challange  oly

2009-05-13 7:19 PM
in reply to: #2149300

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
abrezo - 2009-05-13 6:37 PM Thanks for the assists on the run info, I will put it to use.

Just signed up for the majority of my races today.  It's amazing the shift in focus that occurs once the money is put down!  Here's my schedule for the season:

5/17:  Cleveland Rite Aid 10k                                                          

6/7:  Deer creek sprint <------------------- FIRST EVER TRIATHLON   

6/21:  Maumee Bay Sprint

7/5:  Caesar Crek Sprint

7/12:  NCN Summer tri-  Rat Racing Lorain Sprint

8/2:  Cleveland tri Sprint

8/16:  Vermilion Tri Sprint

9/12-13:  Portage Lakes Sprint

9/27:  Toyota Challange  oly

Wow--pretty full!  You are going to be busy this summer!
2009-05-13 9:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
wow that is a lot of races. With all the extras I buy for training I'd be in the poor house.

2009-05-14 8:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Yesterday I went for a 10km run and my legs felt horrible the first half so I decided that today would be a rest day. I was contemplating doing upper body weights but then I looked at my schedule ahead and I knew the following 3 days I would be working out so I nixed today's weight practice. However I haven't done weights in weeks.

I also haven't been in the pool in forever. I need to get my back in the water. Maybe Saturday I will do that.

This weekend I signed up for a 6 hour running clinic where they will be videotapping us. I am really looking forward to it as I can use all the help with my running.
2009-05-14 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
This weekend I'm doing the Harriman Olympic Distance Triathlon at the Harriman State Park in NY. Water should be nice and warm.....not...
2009-05-14 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2150909

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Tamio - 2009-05-14 12:42 PM This weekend I'm doing the Harriman Olympic Distance Triathlon at the Harriman State Park in NY. Water should be nice and warm.....not...

I'll be thinking of you when I'm swimming in freezing cold Lake Conwago on Sunday morning!  Glad I bought a full sleeved wet suit!  Only supposed to be a high of 60, so I'll be taking Jeff's advice and getting some arm warmers for the bike (and maybe a parka! Me and cold aren't friends!)

Matt
2009-05-14 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Good luck to everyone racing. I wouldn't even want to attempt to get into the water around here yet. It is way too cold.

Tami - do you have a nutrition strategy for your race? That is my main concern when I do my first olympic in September. Not sure of how little I need to eat. Granted I am not the super fast athlete so I am going an extra hour compared to the leader. In a 3 hour workout I need to put some energy in my body and I don't like the gels.
2009-05-14 1:47 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
I hope to do an OWS this weekend too in Keuka Lake.  A website I found yesterday said it was 51 deg 4 days ago!!!  I won't want to get in, but I will since I have never swam in a wetsuit before.  Mine however is sleeveless so I will be suffering for sure!!!  I hope we get some warmer weather in the next few weeks before the the race on June 7th!

2009-05-14 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Tami, Good Luck and stay warm.

Melly-I don't sweat taking a day off every now and then.  My mind is the best indicator that I've been overdoing 'it'.

Matt-DO NOT get fleece armwarmers.  They don't stretch enough.

I'm a little bit stoked.  I just finished 4 workouts in 24 hours.  Granted, they weren't GREAT workouts, but pretty good none the less.   I've been a bit 'blue' lately so the doc adjusted my 'mood' medication.  WOW!  Better living through chemistry.

Friday is OWS (first of season/wetsuit required), then T1 into the Boise 70.3 bike course.  Temps in Boise are suppossed to be warm this weekend-so me and my spawn will go out and play. 

Everyone have a great weekend-Be Safe, Be Strong.
2009-05-15 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Mel - Nutrition....I'm trying Infinit. I used it once this week during a long run and it worked well - so this will be a good test for IMLP.
2009-05-15 12:17 PM

User image

Veteran
race day checklist - here is what we use....

http://triathlon.racechecklist.com/
2009-05-16 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2153252

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
After scouring the web, this is the check list that I came up with....

I. Swim

__ goggles – 2 pair

__ wetsuit

__ tri suit – wear this leaving house

__ ear plugs

__ sunblock

__ watch - Ironman

__ flipflops

__ bodyglide

__ chip ankle strap

II. Bike

__ bike – make sure under seat bag is on bike

__ socks

__ baby powder

__ cycling shoes

__ Garmin w/ wrist strap

__ bike helmet

__ bike tool/supply box

__ floor pump (gauge marked for race day PSI)

__ CO2 dispenser – 2 or 3 cartridges

__ water bottles 1 water 1 Gatorade 1 extra in car

III. Run

__ running shoes w/ lace loks

__ extra pair of shoe laces

__ hat

__ sunglasses

__ number belt

__ extra pair of safety pins

IV. Nutrition

__ water to drink before the race

__ drink for the way home

__ energy bars – 2-3

__ energy gels - 3 or more

__ banana

__ ibuprofen

V. General

__ money – buy at the expo, emergency

__ T1 towel to dry legs/shorts/feet

__ transition towel for ground

__ eye drops

__ keys to car (keep extra set in gear bag)

__ pad and pen/pencil

__ 3-5 business cards

__ deodorant

__ black sharpie

__ flashlight

__ clean dry clothes for after race/ride home
__ several plastic bags

VI. Before the race

__ bike tune up

__ clipless pedals cleaned and lubricated

__ check tires

__ chain cleaned

__ check bar tape

__ no broken spokes in wheels

Some of the things on this list seem like overkill to me, but I figure if someone put them on their list, there's probably a pretty good reason why.  Most of this stuff will stay in the car or trans bag.  The only things that will be out on my trans towel during the race will be a small towel to dry my legs/feet, socks (preloaded with baby powder), cycling shoes, running shoes, cap, sunglasses (which will be inside my helmet), wrist strap for my Garmin and maybe a gel or two that I can put in my shirt pocket.

Anyone see anything I missed?  All critiques welcome!

Matt

2009-05-16 9:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Good luck to everyone racing this weekend. I look forward to reading all about it.

2009-05-16 9:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Well yesterday I had I decided that after work I would go for a bike ride since the weatherman said 18C and sunny. Perfect for a ride. That morning at workI went online and foinf a cycle route of 30km which was the distance that I felt like riding. Great location. All throughout the day I was looking out the window eagerly wanting to go on my ride. At 4 o'clcok the radio said it was 17C. So I thinking my ride is still on. Boy was I wrong, at 5pm I went out to my car to change into my cycle stuff and my first thought is that the weatherman is wrong. It felt more like 10C. Normally I would ride in that however alI had was a cycle t-shirt and shorts. I would be cold. So after anticipating a ride all day, I didn't go. .

I did go to the gym that night for a swim. It wasn't the same as being outdoors. the upside is that I hadn't been in the water in almost 2 weeks so it was nice to get wet again.

I was going to swim today but swim I swam last night that is messed up. I am hoping ot go for a small run outside if it doesn't rain. I don't want to run too much as I am doing a 6 hour running clinic tomorrow. Not sure how much running I'll actually do during the clinic though. I may try going for a swim before the clinic.

I hope everyone enjoys the weekend. Its a long weekend for me.
2009-05-16 6:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
Got my 10 k tomorrow.  They have 4500 racing the half mary with 25% increase in racers for full mary and 10k.  Its going to be packed.

Goal=  <1:15.  Plan to go nice easy pace, if needed walk to water stations, and just have a good time.  Let you know how it went on Sunday.
2009-05-17 11:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Just got back from Pinchot.  I AM A TRIATHLETE!  More details will follow...need to shower and take DS to his tennis match.  I wanted to beat 2 hours (in my mind 2:10 was more realistic) and did!  1:57 and change.  Long and short of it it the swim was not good...hammered on the bike, and went slow on the run on purpose (no trail shoes and it was a trail run with lots of rocks - didn't want to roll an ankle).  More details to follow when I have time to write something up...Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and the good advice that was offered!

Matt

Edited by scout21 2009-05-17 3:04 PM
2009-05-17 1:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
Excellent job today all!

Here's my report from the 10k at the Cleveland Marathon:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=159396

Over 9300 participants!!!  Let's just say the leader of the 1/2 and full marathon were almost at their second mile when the final 1/2 and full racers crossed the starting line.  A 2 mile snake of runners, awesome!

Made my goal of 1:15, finished in 1:06!
2009-05-17 1:11 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Great job guys!! Cant wait until my first tri 5/30.

Randy 

2009-05-17 3:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California

Glad to see everyone's getting through the trials and tribulations and celebrations of racing. I'm doing much better on my adjusted training plan. Had a great 30mi hill ride yesterday followed by a swim. Overdid it a little and I've been dragging today. I did my 1 hour run and ready to take a nap. Hope everyone has a great week.

Tamio, I'll be doing the Harriman sprint in 5 weeks, so I'm interested in your course feedback.

Edited by kofian 2009-05-17 3:22 PM
2009-05-17 4:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Okay...full version....

Well, I’m officially a triathlete!  And I’m a much smarter one at that.  I learned several lessons, and I must say that some of those lessons will be easier than others to do something about.

First of all, in order to get to the triathlon, I woke at 3:15 AM, and was out the door by about 3:40 and drove the nearly 2 hours from West Chester to Harrisburg.  It’s a good thing that I did get there a little early too, the directions were not terribly clear, and I had to search for a while for the correct entrance to the park.  Most of the entrances were still gated and locked at 5:30 AM.

Okay, so now I’m in the park.  I leave all my stuff in the car and go to pickup my packet.  They claim that they didn’t do the numbers alphabetically, but they HAD to have.  I was #1.  WTF????  No pressure there!  I joked with the volunteer that marked me that this race should have been Kona.  I’d have had a really really good year last year!  Anyway, I unload my car and rack my bike and lay out my trans area on a hideous burnt orange towel.  Very easy to spot that one!  I suit up and take a dip in the lake.  It was 64*, and some people weren’t wearing wetsuits.  It didn’t feel that bad, but I had a full suit on!  Those guys without wetsuits were nuts!  Anyway, this was my first OWS, and my first wetsuit swim, so I really wasn’t sure what I was in for….more on this later.  Anyway, I get myself into and out of the water and then listen to the RD’s instructions.  There’s a Du at this event, so he had to go through instructions for those athletes as well as us swimmers.  He sends us out to our respective starting lines and blows his air horn to start the race. 

I’m going to have to redouble my efforts to find a place to practice OWS.  My swim was HORRIBLE!  I couldn’t get into a rhythm, and I couldn’t catch my breath.  I think part of it was the unfamiliarity of not being able to see that well in the water, and part of it was the collar on my wet suit being a little too tight.  I wound up doing the breast stroke for more than ½ of the swim.  If I can’t find a lake to practice in, I may have to give in and swim at the Y a few times in my wetsuit, and maybe color the inside of the lenses on a pair of old goggles so that they are almost completely blacked out…I don’t know what I’m going to do, but this one is going to take real effort to improve.  This is one of the lessons that I’ll take from this first TRI.  I finished with a time of 18:02 for the swim.  There were probably 100-125 triathletes in this event.  There were probably 15 or 20 people getting out of the water after me.  UGH!

T1 was fairly uneventful.  Wetsuit came off easily.  I had my socks, loaded with baby powder so they were easy to get on with wet feet.  Socks, shoes, arm warmers, helmet and clear glasses on.  Unrack bike and trot to the exit and over the timing mat and hop on the bike.   Here comes the second lesson.  Next race, my Garmin will start on the bike and STAY on the bike.  It will be used as a bike computer only.  All times will be kept by my Timex Ironman.  I don’t know how I managed to do this, but I totally screwed up the multi sport setting on my Garmin and have only a rough idea of my times for the bike and run parts of this event.  Regardless, the pace was still showing and the distance was working also.  I rough estimate was a 17.55 mile (by Garmin, 18 by the race web site) bike ride in approximately 1:10.  Which would be somewhere around a 14.5 or 15 MPH pace.  For the number of hills on this course, I’m THRILLED with this ride.  I’d say that there are 3 climbs on this course, and it was a two loop ride, so there were 6 climbs total.  One of the 3 was pretty short, but very steep.  The other two were a little longer and more gradual, but tough none the less.  This was a little different than the swim.  During the whole ride, I was passed by probably only 4 or 5 riders, but I was passing people regularly.  This was a good ride. 

T2 was a little more eventful than T1.  Bike shoes came off easily and running shoes on easily.  Helmet off and cap on.  But this is about when I realize that I’d screwed up my Garmin.  The heck with it, it’s staying on my bike.  I ran out of T2 and started my run without any kind of time keeper.

Next lesson:  Well, I need to practice bricks a little more, and the bricks that I do need to be a little bit longer than the ones that I’ve done up to now.  I started a little too fast and started to get a stitch, so I dialed it back down a bit.  The run was also a trail run on a dirt/gravel path.  I didn’t realize this ahead of time.  I thought that the ‘path’ mentioned on the race web site was a paved jogging path.  Well, it wasn’t.  There were lots of mud puddles, lots of ruts and some debris on the path.  I was very, very deliberate during this run.  I was very wary of rolling my ankle.  So trying to avoid both a full blown stitch, and a rolled ankle, I probably could have run a bit faster, but I came out unharmed, so I’m happy.  I’m guessing somewhere around 27 minutes for the 3 mile run.

Overall, for my first tri, I’m thrilled with my time.  I knew this would be my first OWS, and my first wetsuit swim.  I knew that the bike course was hilly.  I knew that I’d never done a brick with a bike ride this hard or long, and then a run this hard or long.   With all of this in mind, I was really hoping to beat 2:10.  Well, my time was 1:57:something!  Woo hoo!  This was by far the most fun I’ve ever had in a race.  Now I’ll be checking the calendar and looking for another race in June. 

So to recap the lessons that I’ve learned, during races, Garmin=bike computer, Ironman = time keeper.  It’s been said by many people that swimming in OW is different than a pool.  Well, it is.  A LOT different.  Need to find a place to practice, because this was definitely where I lost a ton of time.  I’m thinking that my swim troubles easily cost 3 or 4 minutes.  Also, bricks are a necessity, and they need to be a little more frequent.  But all in all it was still a great day, and I had a blast!  I’ll update this with accurate times when they post the race results.  

Matt

PS Jeff - thanks for the tip on the arm warmers....lost track of how many people said that they wish they'd brought theirs...it was a chilly day!

Edited by scout21 2009-05-18 6:24 AM
2009-05-18 11:03 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
GREAT WEEKEND Racers.  Sounds like everyone, met and/or exceeded their goals. 

Matt, don't worry too much about your first swim.  I think everyone's first OWS is a bit of a nightmare.  I know mine was.  Your next one will be sooo much easier.

How did Tami do????

2009-05-18 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

Official times:

S:           18:01
T1:           3:00
B:        1:07:30  -  15.6 MPH avg!  Woo hoo!  With all those hills, I'll take it!
T2:             :48
R:           27:56
Total:  1:57:15

8th of 10 in my AG
63rd of 92 finishers - I am truely a MOPer which beats the hell out of being a BOPer!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tamio's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  

of 16