BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-04-28 6:21 PM
in reply to: #2079373

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria
Subject: RE: Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy

I went for a ride this morning and man it was tough! I would love a power meter as the average speed was no more than other rides I have done but the wind up and we were hammering. After yesterday's run I was sore in the quads and I am now appreciating the value of rest. I think tomorrow I will forego my morning run, sleep in, and just do the swim at night. My legs need a break.

That said, what are some stretrches that I can do to target my quads? I think I have been neglecting them a little...

2009-04-28 6:53 PM
in reply to: #2116782

User image

Elite
Texas
TBriggs - 2009-04-28 5:52 PM I mixed in some sighting today during my swim and I think its a great way to learn/reinforce that technique in a controlled setting.  I would sight once during each link of the pool (25yards).  Today was probably the most I have ever practiced sighting in one session and was really able to develop a smooth sight into my swim stroke.  It's definitely a confidence booster for me, Great Tip! 

That's how I do it, just once per length. It works out to less than you would sight in open water of course, but once you've got it it's good just to work it in now and then in the pool. I usually sight whenever I swim at race effort. Glad it worked out for you!
2009-04-28 7:12 PM
in reply to: #2116834

User image

Elite
Texas
Iron_Gus - 2009-04-28 6:21 PM

I went for a ride this morning and man it was tough! I would love a power meter as the average speed was no more than other rides I have done but the wind up and we were hammering. After yesterday's run I was sore in the quads and I am now appreciating the value of rest. I think tomorrow I will forego my morning run, sleep in, and just do the swim at night. My legs need a break.

That said, what are some stretrches that I can do to target my quads? I think I have been neglecting them a little...

At the Buffalo Springs IM 70.3 in 2007 there was a guy strecthing people out and doing sports massages the day before the race. I opted for the stretching session. About five minutes in he said "you're the least flexible guy here so far". Confidence builder. It didn't really bother me, because I knew I had neglected my stretching back then. Much better about it now.

Gus when you say you may be neglecting the quads are you strecthing in general and just not hitting them quite enough? If that's the case  would say an overall stretching regimen is the way to go. I have been trying to get in a long general stretching session a few times a week, and I make a point of stretching after training for at least 10 minutes or so.

As for a good quad stretch, my favorites:

1) Stand with your back to a stationary object that is about as high as your groin. Balance yourself and place the top of one foot downward, behind you on top of the object. I use my bed or alternatively, I'll just hold on to something and hold my foot in that position with my hand.

2) Another is to get on the floor on your knees. Put your hands on your hips, chin down to your chest, and just lean back slightly. It doesn't take long to feel the burn. Sometimes if I'm really loose I can almost lay backward on the floor, but I usually just carefully place my hands back on the soles of my feet and lean a little more to get the stretch. But at first just a slight lean will get it.

3) Make sure you don't stretch without warming up first. Even just a five minute spin or brisk walk can be good up front.

I'm currently using a DVD stretching routine from the P90X program. Nothing too special about it, but it's complete.

Hope that helps!
2009-04-28 9:24 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-04-28 10:16 PM

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
When I try to draft the old guys in the medium speed lane at the pool, all it gets me is a mouth full of toe-nails
2009-04-28 11:27 PM
in reply to: #2116931

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

Bill - 2009-04-29 11:12 AM

At the Buffalo Springs IM 70.3 in 2007 there was a guy strecthing people out and doing sports massages the day before the race. I opted for the stretching session. About five minutes in he said "you're the least flexible guy here so far". Confidence builder. It didn't really bother me, because I knew I had neglected my stretching back then. Much better about it now.

Gus when you say you may be neglecting the quads are you strecthing in general and just not hitting them quite enough? If that's the case  would say an overall stretching regimen is the way to go. I have been trying to get in a long general stretching session a few times a week, and I make a point of stretching after training for at least 10 minutes or so.

1) Stand with your back to a stationary object that is about as high as your groin. Balance yourself and place the top of one foot downward, behind you on top of the object. I use my bed or alternatively, I'll just hold on to something and hold my foot in that position with my hand.

2) Another is to get on the floor on your knees. Put your hands on your hips, chin down to your chest, and just lean back slightly. It doesn't take long to feel the burn. Sometimes if I'm really loose I can almost lay backward on the floor, but I usually just carefully place my hands back on the soles of my feet and lean a little more to get the stretch. But at first just a slight lean will get it.

3) Make sure you don't stretch without warming up first. Even just a five minute spin or brisk walk can be good up front.

I'm currently using a DVD stretching routine from the P90X program. Nothing too special about it, but it's complete.

Hope that helps!

Bill, Yes I am stretching. After a ride or run I concentrate on Calves, Hamstrings, Hip Flexors and Quads. With the Quad stretches however I wasn't getting enough out of it and wanted a couple other ideas to achieve the desired result. You have, once again, provided me with the good oil. Thanks.

2009-04-28 11:34 PM
in reply to: #2117224

Elite
Texas
JeepFleeb - 2009-04-28 9:24 PM I've gotta go the opposite direction of Bill's tip for today.

The last thing you want to do is practice sighting more often.  Bad habits that you create in training will come back to haunt you on race day.  Everytime you lift your head to find a buoy: your legs sink, create drag and you loose momentum.  And that's if you're good and don't stop swimming while you sight.

Sighting off the pack is the easiest skill to learn.  Do you breathe to the right?  Then start at the front and on the far left side.  Everytime you breathe you can see the pack and they're sighting for you.  Breathe to the left?  Start on the right.

From there it's just a matter of getting comfortable being closer and closer to other swimmers until you're drafting off their hip or feet.  The idea of sighting to double check if your draft is on course is also a mistake.  If you pick a draft who goes off course, it's always more effecient to keep following them off course than to swim a more direct route by yourself.

It's a race.  Everyone is trying to get to the finish.  Your draft who went off course, wants to get to the finish.  If you follow them off course and swim back on your own you're by yourself and gain no time.  If you follow them back on course you won't gain any time, but you'll use up to 30% less energy doing it.

Obviously you want to pick a draft that can stay on course and it's just a matter of race experience to learn how to do that.  Do enough local races and you'll start seeing the same people and learn who swims what paces.  With enough focus you can even learn to look at the bubbles from the pack in front of you and tell who is on course.

But learning to do something incorrectly now means it's also something you have to unlearn later.

Here again is the cool thing about more having more than one way to do things. I don't think there are enough degrees of separation to say were on opposite ends of the topic. So let me elaborate on where I'm coming from. When I say "lift your head" I don't mean to suggest you raise your head OUT of the water. It's more a matter of just the eyes slightly upward and forward rather than down and then straight to the side.

The technique I use for buoys works for me, and it was taught to me by an excellent competitive open water (life-long)swimmer. I finished top 1/3 on three 1.2 mile swims sighting that way. And Aaron's technique works for him (maybe I'd be top 10 if I did it his way... )

Sighting the pack IS something I do, when there is one. One of the races I do has a time-trial start, so there isn't a pack. So it's just you, looking for a buoy. In this situation I've found feet, but more often than not if I'm catching someone from behind I want to go faster than them. Sometimes the conditions spread you out and you don't have the benefit of sighting off the pack.

I think it's important to be prepared for contingencies. So I can sight of the pack, follow feet, sight a buoy... whatever situation I find myself in I've practiced. Sure it's more efficient to sight the pack, and that's a great first option. But if there's no pack because you're not as fast, it's a small wave and you're spread out, the conditions like current or swells split you up, you're not sunk if you have to do it on your own. And giving a little ground in terms of efficiency to stay on course trumps swimming a zigzag and going 1200 yards to cover 1000.

Edited by Bill 2009-04-28 11:57 PM
2009-04-29 12:04 AM

Elite
Texas
I'm glad Aaron's on hand to keep me on track. I think it's important to be thoughtful about what I post here and sometimes I may either need to clarify, need to elaborate, or need to correct. If your knowledge base as new triathletes is thin you may not know what question to ask to help me know what to add. Aaron has good knowledge and experience. I'm sure we don't agree on everything, but I know his knowledge base is good enough that I consider everything he has to say worth the time to listen. He's actually one of two guys I call on the phone as I'm driving to a race and ask my questions.

This actually reminds me of the time I taught an EMT (Emergency Medical Technician) class an I had an ER doctor as a student. But Aaron is my friend. That doctor guy, I just wanted him to be quiet.

2009-04-29 12:06 AM
in reply to: #2117407

Elite
Texas
Iron_Gus - 2009-04-28 11:27 PM

Bill - 2009-04-29 11:12 AM

Hope that helps!

Bill, Yes I am stretching. After a ride or run I concentrate on Calves, Hamstrings, Hip Flexors and Quads. With the Quad stretches however I wasn't getting enough out of it and wanted a couple other ideas to achieve the desired result. You have, once again, provided me with the good oil. Thanks.

Glad to hear it. I think you're probably ahead of the game if you're stretching at all. Lots of people don't. I used to skip it, but I'm glad to have developed the habit.
2009-04-29 1:28 AM
in reply to: #2117434

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

Bill - 2009-04-29 4:06 PM
Glad to hear it. I think you're probably ahead of the game if you're stretching at all. Lots of people don't. I used to skip it, but I'm glad to have developed the habit.

Bill, I'm older & wiser less stupid now and have suffered too many times not to stretch. I just don't think I was doing it properly / completely. I will definately pay more attention to them and actually schedule time for them. Up till now they have been apart of my cool-down but perhaps I have not given them the dedication and focus that they require.

Another string to the bow. Thanks Bill.

2009-04-29 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2117417

2009-04-29 8:57 AM

Great Lakes Illinois
This is all great to learn now so I can work on it. I have my first sprint-tri coming up and have been doing all my swimming in a pool. There aren't a lot of places up here where I live to get in a good OWS, and the water temps haven't been all that great either.
2009-04-29 9:25 AM

Elite
Texas
http://ironman.com/events/ironman/worldchampionship/fran-arfaras-profiles-2008-womens-40-44-age-group-winner-peggy-yetman-beaumont-tx-usa

Check this out... My friend Peggy is headed back to Kona for the third time. She qualified by winning her AG at the IM World Championships last year.
2009-04-29 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2117876

2009-04-29 1:41 PM
in reply to: #2117987

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Bill - 2009-04-29 9:25 AM http://ironman.com/events/ironman/worldchampionship/fran-arfaras-profiles-2008-womens-40-44-age-group-winner-peggy-yetman-beaumont-tx-usa

Check this out... My friend Peggy is headed back to Kona for the third time. She qualified by winning her AG at the IM World Championships last year.

That is a great inspiration!!!

2009-04-29 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2118338

Great Lakes Illinois
JeepFleeb - 2009-04-29 11:15 AM
bluesman - 2009-04-29 8:57 AM
There aren't a lot of places up here where I live to get in a good OWS, and the water temps haven't been all that great either.

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that you live in a place named Great Lakes?

Hey, thats where the Navy put me. On the coast of Lake Michigan and the base wont let me do laps in the lake. Mostly becasue they don't have thier life guards out for the season yet.

2009-04-29 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2118823

Elite
Texas
bluesman - 2009-04-29 2:05 PM
JeepFleeb - 2009-04-29 11:15 AM
bluesman - 2009-04-29 8:57 AM
There aren't a lot of places up here where I live to get in a good OWS, and the water temps haven't been all that great either.

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that you live in a place named Great Lakes?

Hey, thats where the Navy put me. On the coast of Lake Michigan and the base wont let me do laps in the lake. Mostly becasue they don't have thier life guards out for the season yet.

That's awesome.
2009-04-29 2:51 PM

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Bill/Teamates,

Went for my longest run yet so far, 7.6 Km. About 5 Km in though I began to notice that my right ankle area was getting a little numb. Not affecting my run at all, but wondering what it could be, also I don't want to chance rolling it, because I have done that before and it sucks!!

Any ideas?

Edited by justinfss 2009-04-29 2:52 PM
2009-04-29 6:44 PM
in reply to: #2118973

Elite
Texas
justinfss - 2009-04-29 2:51 PM Bill/Teamates, Went for my longest run yet so far, 7.6 Km. About 5 Km in though I began to notice that my right ankle area was getting a little numb. Not affecting my run at all, but wondering what it could be, also I don't want to chance rolling it, because I have done that before and it sucks!! Any ideas?

Nice run!

As for the ankle, it's hard to say. But when I have a new pain or issue like that I just sort of watch it closely. There is a good way to do that (this may be overboard, but I am very careful about managing my injuries these days after missing several races over the years due to injury). So well make this the tip of the day because any one of us is at risk for injury as we train.

TIP OF THE DAY:

The tip of the day deals with how to chronicle the little nagging injuries that inevitably occur at some point if you train long enough. Some experts say the injury rate among those who train for an IM in 90% or better. Racing injured is no fun. So addressing injuries with appropriate measures can help you get to the starting line and hopefully finish in good shape.

In order to fix the problem, the problem must first be identified. There's a pnemonic that is used in medical history documentation that is very useful here. If you can provide this kind of history, not only with your doc or physical therapist love that you've made their job easier, they'll be better equipped to help you. So here it is:  OPQRST

O = ONSET.
       - When did the pain begin? (Example: Last Tuesday, five minutes into my run)
       - What were you doing when you first noticed the pain?

P = PROVOKES/PALLIATIVE
       - What makes it worse? (Running on pavement, running period, running uphill, swimming, etc...)
       - What makes it better? (Stopping, ice, ibuprofen, lying down, standing up?)

Q = QUALITY
      - Is the pain sharp, dull, burning, numbness...

R = RADIATION
      - Does the pain radiate? (Like from the lower back down the back of your leg, neck to arm...)

S = SEVERITY
      - On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 is barely noticible and 10 is the worst pain of your life, where does it rate?

T = TIMING
      - How long does it hurt when it bothers you?  (For minutes, hours, or days after?
      - Is it constant or intermittant?
      - Does it occur more first thing in the morning, late at night, or after exercise?

It can be extremely helpful if you are a good historian. Providing this information will make you a good historian. You know what will make you an AWESOME historian? Keep a log with this information over time. Not every day necesarily, but whenever it bothers you (if it's not constant) and DEFINITELY whenevr you have ANY change (pain goes from 2 to 4, or begins to radiate, or changes from dull to sharp).

This will significantly increase the chances of a professional being able to narrow down and appropriately treat your problem so you can get back in the mix more quickly. Fire away with questions (or comments).

Happy training.

2009-04-30 6:34 AM

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

Hey guys, I was feeling a little tired yesterday so I took this morning off from my run. I spent some time last night stretching and felt better for it today. Tonight however, when I was swimming, I felt very weak - no strength. I wasn't too bad aerobically but I had no fuel in the tank. I struggled through 1,000 metres but pulled up early. Could it be lack of quality rest, or that I need to refine my diet, or a combination. I was also feeling quite hungry tonight, which has been unusual for me lately. Any thoughts?

2009-04-30 6:52 AM
in reply to: #2120090

Great Lakes Illinois
Based off of what you are describing, I would look more at your diet. It's not just a matter of how much you take in but also what. Also make sure that you aren't cutting too many calories out of your diet. We have a lot of people that go crazy and starve themselves when thier physical fitness test comes up so they can make weight, and when they do this you can almost see the life wilt right out of them.

2009-04-30 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2120090

Elite
Texas
Iron_Gus - 2009-04-30 6:34 AM

Hey guys, I was feeling a little tired yesterday so I took this morning off from my run. I spent some time last night stretching and felt better for it today. Tonight however, when I was swimming, I felt very weak - no strength. I wasn't too bad aerobically but I had no fuel in the tank. I struggled through 1,000 metres but pulled up early. Could it be lack of quality rest, or that I need to refine my diet, or a combination. I was also feeling quite hungry tonight, which has been unusual for me lately. Any thoughts?

Yes, yes, and yes.

It certainly can be, and most likely is due to those things. If your diet doesn't support your workload, and you do suffer from inadequate sleep I'd say you're essentially obliged to start there and fix those things before looking elsewhere.

I know you have some ambitious weight loss goals, but what's the plan there? Are you following a specific nutrition plan or are you just restricting calories? Calorie restriction is one small piece of the puzzle, but it's also commonly misunderstood and most people restrict too much.
2009-04-30 11:33 AM

New user

Bill-

Want to get your thoughts on a running question. I am a Supernator, diagnosed as such by two folks at the running store. I was fitted for the appropraite shoes in January. They feel great and no pain. I strike with the heel first and then roll forward. Joe Friel reccomends running like you would on grass bear foot. I went to the park and did this exercise no problem. Actually feels natural. However, when I put the running shoes on, it feels like I'm trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole. It just isn't working for me and actually hurts my IT-band area. What do you think I should do? Should I just keep practicing the technique and force it or can I just keep going on my merry way by heel striking. I know Joe Friel's reason for this is energy efficiency but I just can't seem to get over this hurdle.

Joe

2009-04-30 5:44 PM
in reply to: #2120958

Elite
Texas
Chicago_Joe - 2009-04-30 11:33 AM

Bill-

Want to get your thoughts on a running question. I am a Supernator, diagnosed as such by two folks at the running store. I was fitted for the appropraite shoes in January. They feel great and no pain. I strike with the heel first and then roll forward. Joe Friel reccomends running like you would on grass bear foot. I went to the park and did this exercise no problem. Actually feels natural. However, when I put the running shoes on, it feels like I'm trying to squeeze a square peg into a round hole. It just isn't working for me and actually hurts my IT-band area. What do you think I should do? Should I just keep practicing the technique and force it or can I just keep going on my merry way by heel striking. I know Joe Friel's reason for this is energy efficiency but I just can't seem to get over this hurdle.

Joe

My understanding is there are experts on both sides of the fence regarding footstrike. I'm not one of those experts. But what I do know is that if you change something and it causes pain you it's not a good idea to force it to work for you.

If you have shoes that are comfortable, and you don't have any running injuries, I wouldn't change anything. If you do develop problems, one thing that can be helpful is a custom orthotic. But that is probably something that you should investigate before you head down that road.

Is there a running group near you? Often there are people in groups like that who have had similar issues and you can learn from their experience...
2009-04-30 6:30 PM
in reply to: #2120314

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

Bill - 2009-05-01 12:21 AM
Iron_Gus - 2009-04-30 6:34 AM

Yes, yes, and yes.

It certainly can be, and most likely is due to those things. If your diet doesn't support your workload, and you do suffer from inadequate sleep I'd say you're essentially obliged to start there and fix those things before looking elsewhere.

I know you have some ambitious weight loss goals, but what's the plan there? Are you following a specific nutrition plan or are you just restricting calories? Calorie restriction is one small piece of the puzzle, but it's also commonly misunderstood and most people restrict too much.

Starting out my goal was weight-loss but I became more focussed on completing my first Olympic distance Tri and my focus changed to training in the three disciplines, with weight-loss being a by product of this. This has helped me as I am now not obsessing on the weight-loss aspect alone.

My strategy, in terms of weight-loss, is to limit my calorie intake to that of a perfectly healthy person of my goal weight. My theory being if I restrict myself to a very low calorie diet I would i) be obsessing over counting calories ii) not have the energy required to train properly and iii) suffer with hunger pangs constantly, and probably give up (I know this from experience)

This time around I tackled the challenge from a different angle. I decided that to be fit and healthy I would act like a normal fit & healthy person; that is, eat, sleep & train like they would with the result being taht I would eventually become that weight (slower but surer). First thing was to determine what a normal person - of my goal weight - would need to consume, both in terms of calories, and specifically in terms of Carbs / Protein / Fat ratios. After some research I determined that I would need to limit myself to around 2200 Calories a day being approx made up of 50% Carbs, 25% Fat & 25% Protein. This gave me a base to work with and I have (largely) been sticking to this regime.

I have been monitoring my caloric intake by recording it daily and tracking (with some software) so that I can see at a glance where I am at on a daily and weekly basis. This has helped me learn what foods to enjoy and what foods to limit.

I started this one month ago and in that time I have managed to drop 19lbs of weight. So by-and-large this routine has worked for me. Recently however, I have been getting more hungry and more fatigued in my exercise. Because I still have a lot of weight to lose I am (always) mindful of reverting back to old habits and over-eating. So when I hear that I need to up my calorie intake my initial reaction is nervous scepticism.

I guess I do need to listen to my body and trust in nature and my own ability to achieve my goals and that I am capable of controlling myself however, to a previous over-eater this is dangerous ground.

Sorry for the long post but I need you guys to know some history and where my mind is at.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  

of 26