BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-01-15 4:21 AM
in reply to: #2615159

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!

selonimes - 2010-01-15 12:50 AM I had a question regarding the US Masters Swimming. I was taking a look to try and find where I could get involved, but it seems down here that you have to belong to a club. Is that the norm? I think I can get access to a place to swim, but I was trying to also find something that would have a coach. Perhaps being a newbie I should just stick to the public pool and swim on my own? Additionally I was also thinking lots about biking recently. Yes I can ride a bike. This is a good thing! What I wanted to know was how to learn more about the newer bikes as far as the different gears and when to use them. Would a local cycle club be the best place to get that info? The only issue I see with that is that they routes I see them doing are pretty long rides at the moment. Another cycle question: should I look into a coach for that to learn form and the other ins and outs of the sport? Is it possible to learn much of this on your own? Any good website suggestions that would have good information regarding etiquette and things like how to shift with the new shifters when I get a new road bike.

All good questions, I'll take them one at a time!

Masters swimming: It is a good program and the place I "learned" to swim.  I say learn because I could get up and down the lane, just not efficiently or with any type of proper form.  However, our group is a good bunch that just shares advice as opposed to the structured, coach on the deck type groups that are also out there.  But I know a masters group in the next county, that is quite large, they meet several times a day in different pools and has a different, on the deck coach.  They have programs/work outs for beginners, intermediate and expert swimmers.  My point is, before committing you should contact the coach and see what is available and whether it fits your expectations and comfort level.

I would think you would have a YMCA nearby and they typically have an adult swim program or one on one lessons available.  I know the Y's around here have tri specific swim lessons available as a package.  

As far as swimming on your own, I guess that would be depend on your comfort level and experience.  Getting the masters swimming instruction/advice early on was a big help in preventing bad habits.  The one other option is self coaching by picking up a total immersion book and maybe some dvd's to learn from.  I think the biggest challenge with this is having the patience to work the drills without jumping ahead.

As far as biking, I can't speak much on cycling clubs as I have never been involved.  I think probably the best place to start would be to talk to the people at the local bike shops.  These conversations and the time they are willing to take to answer your questions will also give you a comfort level with the shop.  This is important as you decide to purchase a bike, you want to be comfortable taking it into the shop and knowing you are being treated appropriately.  They should know the rides that are going on in their community and whether they are newbie friendly.  

Quite honestly, how to shift will come pretty quickly, its when to shift that will take some time and experience.  Hiring a coach is always an option and in many cases a good option.  Whether it is a tri coach, a swimming coach or a cycling coach.  Usually this decision comes down to finances.  You typically get what you pay for and the more you pay the more individual attention you will get.  

Any of you other guys and gals have experience with any of these?  Feel free to offer your opinion or advice!  

2010-01-15 4:22 AM
in reply to: #2578675

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!

One other thing I would like to discuss, since it is the off season for most of us!  The subject of strength training and its value to tri training comes up.  Any one have any opinions or questions on strength training?

2010-01-15 6:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

I started riding a bike with a bike club in early 2005.  I hung around bike shops and made friends with mechanics and the best riders and asked lots of questions.  I took classes on bike building.  Actually as the local outdoor writer I had the contact by then to put the bike mechanics in touch with the local junior college and got the classes established.  Then I took them.  I now handle most of my own routine maintenance and have built a bike.  I can do on the road repairs that others can't.   A big plus.

That all said, it all took me only so far.  I hooked up with a coach from Vision Quest Coaching who has improved my watt output by 25% in a year.  My bike skills have soared.  So, my answer is coaching and good cycle clubs will lower your learning curve in a hurry.  No coach?  That's fine.  Hang with the club.  Don't let the distance of the rides bother you.  There will be shorter distance rides at the beginning of the year and slower groups.  Find the right one.  Learn to change your own flats and carry what you need on the bike.  Your confidence will soar and you'll be riding on your own in no time.  That way, you won't need to worry what a group is doing.  I ride 99% of the time alone. My workouts seldom coincide with other peoples so on days I workout, they are going to be solo.  Group rides are reserved for that long sub max ride on Sunday just to lay a base for fitness.  Check with the triathlon club, too.  They are always riding alone and some appreciate group rides to break the boredom. 

Also Joe Friel's Triathlete Bible and other beginning tri books have great information on choosing a bike and basic riding skills.  The key to learning how to ride is to spend hours in the saddle.  Ride different speeds from submax (easy pace you could do four hours) to hard VO2 intervals that are short bursts of intense work, 30 seconds, 1 min., 2 mins.  They are sprints.  You can ride at a steady pace and then sprint to the next telephone pole, .take a 10 pole breather and do it again.  Repeat 5 times.  If you have an HR monitor, read up on you figure heart rate zones and gauge from that.

Swimming is a little different, in my opinion.  Yes, in Masters you join local clubs.  You actually pay the national group a membership fee.  It covers liability.  You are assigned the club on the basis of where you live. I strongly suggest you do lessons of some kind if you are struggling in the water.  A good coach can have you swimming distance in no time. I was a high school sprinter.  For 40 years since, I would jump in the water, swim 100 yards and die catching my breath.  My Masters coach taught me the right way to do endurance swimming (there was more to it than just slowing down) and I was swimming a mile in 6 weeks.  Not the fastest guy a year later, but I am very comfortable and smooth in the water.  It's all about form, muscle memory and practice.  You can practice the wrong form for hours and never get anywhere or you can take a few classes, learn the right form, and practice on your own and survive the swim in your first race. What's more efficient?   Check out some of the Total Immersion videos on YouTube.  Lots of free instruction around if you look.

Remember, few triathletes tri to make up a lot of time in the water.  It's the shortest part of the race and very hard to get away far enough on anyone to create a gap that a good cyclist can't eliminate on the bike course or a good runner can't overcome on the running course.  But you can lose time on the swim.  So, get some good instruction, spend the time practicing and it will all be good.  The bike is really where you can slash time from your overall result. 

My bike coach has me doing far more strength training and yoga for core exercises and stretching this winter.  It is really helping.  The core triggers so much of the endurance ability in the water, on the bike and the run.  I'm doing lots of planks and other yoga poses that are really toning me.   I need more upper body strength and more flexibility in my legs.  Also, when you do weights, the goal is to get stronger without adding bulk.  High reps with lower weights is the key to that.

Have a great day.  Sorry for rambling so long.  Looking forward to a half IM.  Getting psyched! 

2010-01-15 7:50 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good information Scott! 

One of the things that helped me gain comfort on the bike was posting in the NY forum and the introduce yourself forum.  Through those channels I hooked up with some other BT members that either were still in the same boat or had been and were more than willing to work with a newbie and live nearby!  Most of the guys and gals are still good friends and regular training partners!

2010-01-15 10:37 PM

User image

New user
So I took the plunge tonight, pardon the pun, and joined the USMS.  I send a few emails out to get some information from the local chapters so I should be able to get some information soon.  I also spoke to a tri coach and she gave me some great advice and some interesting direction.  Her first thought was get that swim learned and get coaching on everything to start out.  What I liked about her was she wasn't pushing herself but pushing the sport to learn it correctly and to learn the basics first before going crazy.  She suggested interviewing a few coaches and go from there but definately suggested getting a swim coach right away that can help in the water.  Went to the local bike shop again...I wasn't thrilled again.  I don't get the right feeling there but it could be me.  One guy said a week earlier being a larger guy I may want to get aluminum, and today the other guy, I think maybe a manager said go carbon if you have the means.  Needless to say the change of information was a little odd.  Additionally the tri coach mentioned getting some aerobars for my mountain bike, worse case scenario, so that I could get used to the bars etc.  Guy at the store says..it doesn't exist because of how the bars for a mountain bike are shaped.  Needless to say all of that didn't really help me out.  They didn't seem too forth coming with information and questions.  THEN I did day 3 week 3 for C25K.  Was very happy with that.  Which reminds me...I picked up the C25K app for my iphone and its pretty amazing.  So much easier than looking at my timer every 15 secs to know when I am over the time for the leg.  
2010-01-16 6:51 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Scott might have betting information on carbon vs. aluminum for the bike.  I hadn't heard the size of the rider debate before for the frame.  I know it can be an issue for some wheels though.  Carbon should be lighter, usually a better ride from what I am told, and a bit more fragile.  I went aluminum with carbon forks and seat post because that is what I wanted to spend at the time.

Sounds like you may want to look for a different shop.  I am betting that where you live there are probably several.  You may even find one that specializes in tri sports.

Hiring a coach, that you are comfortable with is never a bad idea!

2010-01-16 7:08 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Carbon is very strong.  I'm 205 and I ride a carbon bike.  Never had an issue. 
2010-01-16 7:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Dan, what do you weigh?

Forget using the mountain bike.  You'd be dead for the run. 

2010-01-16 9:42 PM

User image

New user
My lean body mass is over 200 to begin with, adding my extra baby weight (seriously my wife is pregnant) I'm at 270 right now. This is part of the whole new mentality...I have a good fitness level just have too much "baby fat" on me right now! As far as the mountain bike, right now that most likely is what I am going to have to go with. Plus I may try some xterra type stuff later on so at least I have it for the time! On some other good news. I DID make contact with the local cycling club and the president already told me via email, that they would hook me up with gear because they have lots of connections locally. So I am going to speak with him and get all the information. I am sure they can direct me to a member or another place that may have a bike. Next step is getting a swim coach...and I already contacted my local chapter about that so we shall see what comes up.

Edited by selonimes 2010-01-16 9:44 PM
2010-01-16 9:52 PM

User image

New user
Had a quick question: I found this sprint tri in April that has these distances. Swim 439.63 yards Bike 6.21 miles Run 1.93 miles Think that I could pull that one off as my first completed tri? Or is there not enough time?
2010-01-17 10:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

270 is pushing the envelope a lot for what most manufacturers declare is the max for their carbon frames. I think I was probably at 245 when I bought my first carbon road bike.  Never a problem.  Giant TCRc1 with Mavic Elite wheels. 
Next I bought an aluminum Trek Pilot 1.2 for a commuter bike next. 
Then I built a titanium LeMond up.  All that while I was losing weight. 
I bought the parts and a friend jumped the gun, the guy selling me the frame, and put it together for me one night when he was bored - it being an Orbea time trial bike, which is carbon.  Now I'm at 215 and headed down to 200. 
So what do I suggest?  I suggest you ride lots and lots of bikes in your price range until you find one that appeals to you.  One will scream, buy me...I am so comfortable that you can't live without me.     Every one of them...carbon, steel, aluminum and titanium have great points. 
- Carbon is light, but man, do you know how many "bikes" I've lost in equivalent weight since I started at 375 plus?  A few grams do not impress me. You pay more for less in bikes.  The lighter, the more expensive but why spend a thousand or more dollars more to save a few pounds you are going to lose anyway?   Carbon rides nicely.  Dampens road vibration. 
- Titanium does even more and it is bomb proof.  But expensive.  I cut the cost in half by building it myself.  I use it for my day in and day out bike because it rides so nice and I can't hurt it.
- Aluminum is a little heavier and transfers a lot more vibration, but with a carbon fork and some other dampening technology they use now, my aluminum is comfortable.  Aluminum is cheaper.
- Steel can be heavier, but there are some really great frames made of steel out there and very light.
 Don't break the bank on the bike frame.  Focus more on the wheels than worrying about the frame material. Step up the components a little.  If you are looking at specific bikes, ask for input.  I've done lots of research.  But most major companies make great products. Just be wise how you spend your cash.

As for the tri you are talking about, that is a half-sprint distance.  I wouldn't hazard an opinion about whether you can do one that early in the season without knowing more about where you are at physically. 

2010-01-18 1:06 AM
in reply to: #2619071

User image

Welllington, NZ
Just going to chuck in my 2c WRT the bike. I bought aluminium frame bike with carbon forks and seat post years ago and, like Ken and it has done me proud. I've riden a few 160k rides on it and the only upgrade i've feel justified at getting was a decent seat. Don't get me wrong, the stock Bontrager seat was nice, but my replacement arione is heaps better. It's also slightly larger giving me more room to maneuver whilst riding & easing any sore points or engaging the muscles slightly difference.

I guess the point here is that it doesn't have to cost a fortune. As said before, make sure whatever you get is something you feel comfy on and get a bike fit. It's no good having a top-notch bike if it's wrong for you.

Also, you'll probably see plenty of folks without road bikes doing it on a mountain bike. If you choose that route you MUST get slicks on it. It'll be harder than a road bike, that's for sure, but with slicks on it'll be so much easier than knobblies! ;-)

Let us know how you go.

Lewis.
2010-01-18 4:37 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good info on bike frames Iceman!!

Dan, as far as whether you can finish the try a tri, or mini sprint in April, the answer is probably!  You have 2 plus months to get the training in which is plenty of time for that distance.  That said, the biggest obstacle you face is with your swimming.  Until you have a few weeks of swimming a few days a week, you wont know your comfort level of swimming that distance non-stop.  My guess is with a coach helping you with the swimming you will be fine, but you never know.

Nothing wrong with putting it in as a goal, and putting a training plan together that will get you there and just don't register until it gets closer and you get a better feel for your abilities and the progress your making.  Send the race director an e-mail to find out if it has a history of selling out and when so you don't get shut out.  But typically the sprints around here don't sell out till a week or 2 prior to the race date.

2010-01-18 6:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Is that half-sprint swim in the pool?  That early in the year around here, they often are. 

When I said spend more on wheels, I mean get good ones with a high spoke count, like 32 or 36 and get double or triple cross.  They are strong, less likely to break a spoke and if you do, you can keep going with one out if you use some care.  A good bike frame, decent components (and most are good if they are set correctly) and good wheels, and you are on your way. 

As for the MTB discussion,. you may see people doing it, I know you will at sprints. I have tons of respect for them because 12.5 miles or more on those and then a 5K run is a killer.   If you like this sport and you plan to use the bike to get in shape, invest the money.  Again, don't break the bank for your first one.  Buy one you are comfortable with and get it fit.  If it's your only bike, get a road bike and maybe invest in clip on aero bars rather than a time trial bike.  Buy from a shop that you like too.  Maintenance is critical.  You said you hung around a shop but didn't get good vibes. Is it the only one around?  Try approaching the people there who know the most.  You might find out that the store is hiring kids who are only marginally good riders and can't communicate what they know.  Most stores have someone there who is both knowledgeable and personable. Keep at it.  Really important to feel comfortable both with the bike and the place you get it.   This is fun stuff.  Cling to the people who know that and live it.

2010-01-18 7:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Check this out.  It's a 12-week swimming plan based on being able to do 50 yards to reach 1500 yards for an Olympic distance race.

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/12-Week-Swim-Workout-Plan-for-Olympic-Distance-Triathlons.htm?act=EMC-Active&Vehicle=Triathlon&Date=01_17_10&Edition=3&Sections=Articles&Creative=Training_Plan_for_a_1_5K_Swim&TextName=Training_Plan_for_a_1_5K_Swim&ArtText=Txt&Placement=1&Dy=Sun
2010-01-18 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2617899

selonimes - 2010-01-16 10:42 PMAs far as the mountain bike, right now that most likely is what I am going to have to go with.
FWIW: I would tend to believe that even an older out dated road bike would far more benefit you over a modern day mountain bike on a Tri event. However, live and let live.Craigslist, Ebay, trade in bikes at local bike shops, local club members upgrading and selling their bikes, forums classifieds.

2010-01-18 11:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
You bet Doug.  If used is available and it fits, by all means take a look at it.  My ti bike and my Orbea were both used frames - pristine, you could not tell they were used. But heck, you ride a bike out of the shop and home and it's used.  We have a shop within 30 miles that has a huge roomful of used bikes.   Other shops don't deal with used often around here...no storage space, but that one does.  So if you can go that route, explore it.  
2010-01-18 3:56 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Here is a list of our mentor group with links to their logs.  We only have a bit more than half participating.  Some haven't been logging into BT in several days.  If some of you could drop by and give them an inspire or a PM, maybe getting them from more than me would get them back involved.

Thanks!

kenj

ETA: The copy and paste I did with the list lost the links so for right now I have mine and the links for everyone else is on my page.

Edited by kenj 2010-01-18 4:00 PM
2010-01-18 8:27 PM

User image

New user
Good day today...C25K and then a spin class. It was nice to give my body something different to do. I also forgot to mention some cool stuff I found out. I called a the president of one of the local cycling clubs. He gave me some good suggestions as far as places to go. So yesterday I went out to the two place. The first was really nice, they only had Specialized but would finance if needed and offer discounts on some package stuff...like getting shoes, and shorts, water bottles yada yada yada. The second place I was very glad to go there. This shop does all custom bikes basically but do not keep any bikes in the shop. They set you up and fit you for a bike, then they pick the bikes to match your fitting and order them direct. They had Felt Cervelo and a bunch of others as well that they work with. What I did like was that they gave me lots of information and some suggestion. They also do bike fittings on current bikes which the president of the club does every few months. I did find out something about the weight and the bikes. The frames themselves will be no issue as far as my current weight. The issue is mainly with the wheels as they do have weight limits. So it seems getting a carbon frame and then aluminum wheel will be the way to go for the time being. The club also hooked me up with someone they work with that can give me some good deals on used bikes. So all in all a good couple of days!
2010-01-19 3:44 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Dan, I am glad you are taking your time and asking all the questions!  When you decide to do something with the bike, you will be well prepared.  Doug, Lewis and Scott, thanks for the bike input!  I have learned a lot about bike material!

I will be out of touch during most of the day today.  Traveling to the other coast!

2010-01-19 7:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
That was good information they gave you on the frame strength and the wheels.  The companies all issue maximum weights to CYOA.   If you have the cash, carbon is a really good ride.  I love titanium too because it is light, even smoother on vibration control than carbon and it's bomb proof.   Those are my top two choices. 

Check out what I wrote about the spokes.  32 or 36 double or triple cross would be best.   Aluminum rims, yes.  Bontrager Classics are 36s I think.  Several pro teams are using them for their everyday training wheels. I plan to get a set the next time I need some.  I have a Power Tap hum on the rear of my training wheels now so that is the one I use.  I had them built up with 32 spokes and double.  No issues at all. 

What about components.  10 speed would be great, Shimano and SRAM are really good.  So is Campy of course, but its really expensive and it needs its own tools so if you go with it, stay with it if you plan to build your own simple bike shop to do simple repairs. Shimano and SRAM are interchangeable.  As you go up in price from Rival to Force to Red on SRAM and 105 to Ultegra to Dura Ace on Shimano, the price soars at the top.  Frankly there is little difference in performance between Ultegra and Dura Ace or Rival and Red if they are tuned right.  The primary difference is a few ounces in weigght and chrome.   I have bikes with 105, Ultegra, Dura Ace and Rival.   Ultegra and Rival are just fine with me.  

2010-01-19 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

10 ideas to get ready for a sprint triathlon.  The web site is good.  There is also another menti0oned at the bottom of the article.  I haven't visited that one yet, but these suggestions appear right on. 

http://www.my-triathlon-training.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1110:10-ways-to-enhance-your-sprint-triathlon-training-for-the-new-year-&catid=27:front-page-articles
2010-01-19 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2619235

Thanks, IceMan
I think this is a plan I can follow and improve with. Starting to get a few tips and pointers from local people and I already feel myself improving (only slightly).
I did my 10 X 50 workout today then thought I'd try to measure my strokes again. I'm slightly improved to a 20 1/2 stroke per 50 yards.
I'm thinking once I start to incorporate a little kick that might improve more. Currently my kick is nothing more than to keep my legs up more vertical to reduce drag.
I can't stress enough, if you haven't as of yet gotten wet and your Tri is this year,,,, GET IN THE POOL.

IceManScott - 2010-01-18 8:26 AM Check this out.  It's a 12-week swimming plan based on being able to do 50 yards to reach 1500 yards for an Olympic distance race.

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/12-Week-Swim-Workout-Plan-for-Olympic-Distance-Triathlons.htm?act=EMC-Active&Vehicle=Triathlon&Date=01_17_10&Edition=3&Sections=Articles&Creative=Training_Plan_for_a_1_5K_Swim&TextName=Training_Plan_for_a_1_5K_Swim&ArtText=Txt&Placement=1&Dy=Sun
2010-01-19 10:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Do some reading on endurance swimming and talk to some triathletes.  Kicking uses huge amounts of energy for little added propulsion.  The key is to use a kick exactly for what you said - to keep yourself in the top on the water where it's thin and reach down into the water that feels like pudding to get  propulsion.  Try watching some total immersion clips on youtube.com.  They have a very cool system.  The more I incorporate it, the better I do. 

Keep me posted on the bike.  I love bikes!
2010-01-19 10:57 PM

Hello....I know I don't say much on this forum, but I want you all to know I read what you're all talking about almost daily. My training is off to a slow start due to illness, myself and family, so I'm fitting in practices when I can right now. I've found the website to be very helpful with swim programs...month by month practices building week by week. I too have an issue breathing on the left side and have found the side kick extention drill has really helped with that. I have a question about bikes. You all seem to be very keen on road bikes. Do you think it will be possible for me to complete a sprint using my mountain bike? I'm not looking to break any speed records, I just want to cross the finish line alive. In the summer I was riding 20 to 25k with out any problem, mind you I wasn't racing or training, just riding around.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  

of 29