BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-04-12 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2784203

Expert
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
Kath2163 - 2010-04-11 10:29 PM It was a tough day out there for me today.  I was doing well for the first six miles  but then I  TOTALLY fell apart during the rest of the race. While my quads were hurting, the lack of energy was the biggest problem. I ended up walking A LOT.  I wasn't feeling well at the finish and headed right home where I proceeded to get pretty sick. I am now thinking I have/had some type of bug and that that was part of why I struggled.
The other possibility is my nutrition.  While I have always used the same things (gels, H2o and Powerade) the last few long runs have left me nauseous and a bit light headed at the end. This did not happen in Arizona when I did the half marathon there or during other long runs a few months back.  I drank a bit more Powerade (a flavor off of the course ) and an additional gel with the hopes that it would help me. I wonder it that could have done something. Also, I did a ten mile run last week without any muscle pain. Today, by mile eight, my quads were hurting.  Also what happened to me after the race at home (thank goodness) was much worse then anything I have previously experienced. It was like having food poisoning and then felling like you are about to pass out at the same time.  Like I said, I felt nauseous after the race and ate something and felt a bit better. Then once at home I thought I was going to die.
I am feeling a bit better now but still feel kinda crappy.   I am glad that I finished the race though. I am just disappointed that I couldn't finish the way I started.

Sorry to hear that. But like i see others mentioned, it is through these tough days where we learn the most.
And...dont foget...YOU FINISHED! You gutted it out and suffered....and FINISHED! That is something no one can take away from you. You dug deep and accomplished something amazing. Congrats!

2010-04-12 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2784103

Expert
calimavs - 2010-04-11 9:29 PM Hi all!

I'm back from my training weekend down on the Wildflower course, looks like everyone got some good training and racing in this weekend!

My weekend was great, it was really cool to get away from everyday life and just really focus on triathlon for three days. I did a short sunset run on the Oly course after arriving on Friday night, then on Saturday we ended up doing a swim and biking the course. I'm so glad I got to see the course ahead of time because the hills on the bike course are no joke. Ended up feeling strong on the bike so I'm pretty happy with how I did considering that climbing is not my strong suit. The rest of the day on Saturday we had clinics, and this morning we ran the Oly run course. I put more detail in my blog, but overall it was a great weekend!

One thing I wanted to ask, I actually had ART done on my back and calves this weekend for the first time ever, and I wanted to see if anyone else here has experience with it. It helped my neck a lot and I feel like it might compliment the chiropractic care I already get on a monthly basis. Anyone have any experience with ART they care to share? 

Glad you had fun!! I heard that water was really really cold. what was your take on it?
I am heading down the week before to bike the long course...and to experience the hills

I have had ART done to me before. I liked it a lot. Now i have soft tissue massage done. It seems to be a little different...and i actually think my body responds better to that
2010-04-12 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2786174

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
dharris13 - 2010-04-12 1:09 PM
calimavs - 2010-04-11 9:29 PM Hi all!

I'm back from my training weekend down on the Wildflower course, looks like everyone got some good training and racing in this weekend!

My weekend was great, it was really cool to get away from everyday life and just really focus on triathlon for three days. I did a short sunset run on the Oly course after arriving on Friday night, then on Saturday we ended up doing a swim and biking the course. I'm so glad I got to see the course ahead of time because the hills on the bike course are no joke. Ended up feeling strong on the bike so I'm pretty happy with how I did considering that climbing is not my strong suit. The rest of the day on Saturday we had clinics, and this morning we ran the Oly run course. I put more detail in my blog, but overall it was a great weekend!

One thing I wanted to ask, I actually had ART done on my back and calves this weekend for the first time ever, and I wanted to see if anyone else here has experience with it. It helped my neck a lot and I feel like it might compliment the chiropractic care I already get on a monthly basis. Anyone have any experience with ART they care to share? 

Glad you had fun!! I heard that water was really really cold. what was your take on it?
I am heading down the week before to bike the long course...and to experience the hills

I have had ART done to me before. I liked it a lot. Now i have soft tissue massage done. It seems to be a little different...and i actually think my body responds better to that

I'm probably not a good gauge since I have a really warped view of water temp considering that I have done a good deal of OWS this late winter/spring in the SF Bay with water temps around 55 degrees. With that as my norm the water in Lake San Antonio actually felt pretty warm to me. We were guessing it was around 60 degrees, I think it will probably start to warm up a bit more from now through the race weekend.
2010-04-12 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2785419

Expert
PennState - 2010-04-12 12:44 PM
zionvier - 2010-04-12 12:28 PM
JoshKaptur - 2010-04-12 8:45 AM
You'll be seeing my sporting an aluminum tri bike, disc cover, and borrowed/rented front wheel at LP.

It's all about the engine in the end anyway.
I agree that its the engine. However a poorly fitting bike can cause injury and frustration.

WHen i sat on my bike with the fitter...he asked if i was having lower back pain (which i am) and left knee pain (which i am) just based on how i looked riding. Those were the two pains that caused me to get fit. It was really cool how he saw my position and picked up on those right away without me telling him.
2010-04-12 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2785464

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
PennState - 2010-04-12 12:55 PM
Good job this weekend Josh. I agree that you don't need an expensive bike to do well. I do believe that fit is the key as I keep repeating. :

Oh I agree completely with that.  I paid $300 for my fit... almost 1/4 of the cost of the bike I now ride.
2010-04-12 3:34 PM
in reply to: #2784203

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Kath2163 - 2010-04-11 9:29 PM It was a tough day out there for me today.  I was doing well for the first six miles  but then I  TOTALLY fell apart during the rest of the race. While my quads were hurting, the lack of energy was the biggest problem. I ended up walking A LOT.  I wasn't feeling well at the finish and headed right home where I proceeded to get pretty sick. I am now thinking I have/had some type of bug and that that was part of why I struggled.
The other possibility is my nutrition.  While I have always used the same things (gels, H2o and Powerade) the last few long runs have left me nauseous and a bit light headed at the end. This did not happen in Arizona when I did the half marathon there or during other long runs a few months back.  I drank a bit more Powerade (a flavor off of the course ) and an additional gel with the hopes that it would help me. I wonder it that could have done something. Also, I did a ten mile run last week without any muscle pain. Today, by mile eight, my quads were hurting.  Also what happened to me after the race at home (thank goodness) was much worse then anything I have previously experienced. It was like having food poisoning and then felling like you are about to pass out at the same time.  Like I said, I felt nauseous after the race and ate something and felt a bit better. Then once at home I thought I was going to die.
I am feeling a bit better now but still feel kinda crappy.   I am glad that I finished the race though. I am just disappointed that I couldn't finish the way I started.

I have not looked at your logs with regard to longer runs at a race effort, but you might have been a little dehydrated and or underfueled initially to start the race.  This would help to explain what seems like a quick drop off in your performance during the latter half of the race.  Seems like you were on your way to a good bonk session. 

I can get by on a longer training run a little dehydrated or underfueled, but this is at a slower pace, not really pushing myself.  If I try to go at a race pace I will quickly fall apart.  Once it happens your body will not normally be able to catch back up, especially during a race.  I have learned this lesson the hard way, thankfully on training rides. 

I hope your feeling better and that this was a one time event. 

Greg

2010-04-12 5:39 PM
in reply to: #2786050

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-04-12 5:42 PM
in reply to: #2786182

2010-04-12 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2786205

2010-04-12 7:44 PM
in reply to: #2769226

Master
Dunedin
Kathy-I get nauseous post long runs, too.  If blood flow is diverted to the legs for running and then you stop without a proper cool down it might cause it.  I'm trying to test this theory, but I don't have the patience!  Last summer, I was throwing up after 8+mile runs...or I'd be fine for a half hour and then it'd kick in.  I started buying the tiny cans of Coke and sip on those post-run while I walk.  I've also just walked, but the Coke is an incentive for me (at only 90 calories for a soda it gets me excited!).

Also, I've noticed that I'm more likely to feel sick if I just drink water during a work out... if I drink the purple gatorade then I don't get sick (I'm sure the same would be true for any color, but I don't get indigestion from the purple stuff for whatever reason). 
2010-04-12 7:47 PM

Master
Dunedin
You all were quite chatty lately!!! Fun!  Saturday was the longest I've spent in the saddle since last summer. I got over 4 hours on the trainer (it was chilly AND I had studying to do).  I did a half hour run afterwards and did lots and lots and lots of hills.  Rested all day Sunday (got up at 10am, watched TV until 2pm, and then went to work a 2nd shift at a part time job).  I leaned against the sink at work while I was washing my hands and a pain I have never known before shot through me to my back and up to my ears.  My husband said it could be an ingrown hair (WTF?!) or a hernia... I'm resting today and then I'll let him poke at it tomorrow to see if he thinks I should go see my PCP.

2010-04-12 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2786754

Master
Redlands, CA
WittyCityGirl - 2010-04-12 5:47 PM You all were quite chatty lately!!! Fun!  Saturday was the longest I've spent in the saddle since last summer. I got over 4 hours on the trainer (it was chilly AND I had studying to do).  I did a half hour run afterwards and did lots and lots and lots of hills.  Rested all day Sunday (got up at 10am, watched TV until 2pm, and then went to work a 2nd shift at a part time job).  I leaned against the sink at work while I was washing my hands and a pain I have never known before shot through me to my back and up to my ears.  My husband said it could be an ingrown hair (WTF?!) or a hernia... I'm resting today and then I'll let him poke at it tomorrow to see if he thinks I should go see my PCP.

Ouch, 4 hours on the trainer...ouch. 
2010-04-12 10:01 PM
in reply to: #2787009

Expert
Thornton, CO
furiousferret - 2010-04-12 8:33 PM
WittyCityGirl - 2010-04-12 5:47 PM You all were quite chatty lately!!! Fun!  Saturday was the longest I've spent in the saddle since last summer. I got over 4 hours on the trainer (it was chilly AND I had studying to do).  I did a half hour run afterwards and did lots and lots and lots of hills.  Rested all day Sunday (got up at 10am, watched TV until 2pm, and then went to work a 2nd shift at a part time job).  I leaned against the sink at work while I was washing my hands and a pain I have never known before shot through me to my back and up to my ears.  My husband said it could be an ingrown hair (WTF?!) or a hernia... I'm resting today and then I'll let him poke at it tomorrow to see if he thinks I should go see my PCP.

Ouch, 4 hours on the trainer...ouch. 

That was my reaction too.  I have trouble going more than an hour... but 4 hours on a trainer... that's harder physically and mentally than an Oly in my book.
2010-04-13 12:43 AM

Expert
Just did a light 1 hr run tonight. Nothing real fast but then again, I'm not fast.
2010-04-13 7:00 AM

Master
Millersville, MD
In addition to the monotony, there's somethign else that makes a 4 hour ride epic.  A 4 hour road ride does not have 4 hours of constant pedaling... in fact not even close for most of us I suspect.  But there's no coasting on a trainer.

Kudos on your insanitydetermination.
2010-04-13 7:36 AM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I ran into a guy when I was in Florida back in January and he had on an IMFL hat so I struck up a conversation with him about the race.  He indicated that he has done the race several times and when I asked him about the bike course his advice was to get in aero on the trainer and get used to pedaling for hours.

2010-04-13 8:39 AM

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Is there still any room? The winter mentor program I joined was kind of a failure (mentor went MIA). I'm doing my first ever sprint end of May (Mt Gretna). Penn State alumni. If accepted I would post bio...
2010-04-13 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2787702

2010-04-13 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2787404

2010-04-13 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2787959

Expert
PennState - 2010-04-13 10:41 AM
JoshKaptur - 2010-04-13 8:00 AM In addition to the monotony, there's somethign else that makes a 4 hour ride epic.  A 4 hour road ride does not have 4 hours of constant pedaling... in fact not even close for most of us I suspect.  But there's no coasting on a trainer.

Kudos on your insanitydetermination.
I've done 3 hours on a computrainer before. I have q hard time doing the trainer these days. I prefer to brave the outdoor most times.

For some very odd reason, i actually really dont mind long trainer rides. I have done well over a dozen 3-3.5 hour rides, and one 4 hour ride a couple weeks ago. It is my chance to catch up on TV shows
2010-04-13 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2787494

Expert
kenj - 2010-04-13 8:36 AM

I ran into a guy when I was in Florida back in January and he had on an IMFL hat so I struck up a conversation with him about the race.  He indicated that he has done the race several times and when I asked him about the bike course his advice was to get in aero on the trainer and get used to pedaling for hours.

I did New Orleans 70.3 and i think those multi-hour trainer rides of staying in the exact same position paid huge dividends. New Orleans is FLAT FLAT FLAT, and just staying down and constantly pedeling had me post a great bike split

2010-04-13 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2786754

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
WittyCityGirl - 2010-04-12 7:47 PM You all were quite chatty lately!!! Fun!  Saturday was the longest I've spent in the saddle since last summer. I got over 4 hours on the trainer (it was chilly AND I had studying to do).  I did a half hour run afterwards and did lots and lots and lots of hills.  Rested all day Sunday (got up at 10am, watched TV until 2pm, and then went to work a 2nd shift at a part time job).  I leaned against the sink at work while I was washing my hands and a pain I have never known before shot through me to my back and up to my ears.  My husband said it could be an ingrown hair (WTF?!) or a hernia... I'm resting today and then I'll let him poke at it tomorrow to see if he thinks I should go see my PCP.

4 hours on the trainer, you deserve some kind of masocist(sp) award or something!  Not sure I have the mental horsepower to make it that long on a trainer.  Nice work.

Greg
2010-04-13 11:10 AM

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI

All the discussion on the 4 hour trainer rides has me thinking.  What is everyones view of duration vs intensity in their training.  I realize that a combination of the two is necessary.  I have seen a lot of discussion on this recently and it is interesting to see different perspectives on the topic.

Greg 

2010-04-13 11:32 AM
in reply to: #2788237

2010-04-13 12:49 PM

Expert
Whats on tap for training today/tonight??

I swam this morning in hopes of loosening up my back.

I have a 2 hour bike ride at Leguna Seca Race Track planned for this evening. They open the track up for bikes once a month for 2 hours...so im excited!
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121