BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-04-13 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2787935

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!
kerryd - 2010-04-13 9:34 AM What is the deal about sidewalks vs pavement?  I have never been a runner, so I don't get it.  Why is asphalt so much better?

Laura, can you start the 16 week training earlier?  I hope you don't have to drop timberlan

Yanti, thanks for updating the graphic!  I had to replace the thread link (just used a hard coded link) but it's great!!!  Thank you!!

I am going to continue getting in as much running and swimming and mostly biking on the trainer until May that I can.  Then I have a 16 week plan that I took out of an old issue of Triathlete that was designed for someone training for a 70.3 who doesn't have a ton of free time to train every day.  I will do what I can with this plan.  It's tough with kids ( even tougher with the baby) and my husband is out of the house to leave for work at 5:15 am and doesn't get home until 6 pm.  Then throw in the nights he teaches Karate and it leaves me little time to train.  I can run with the baby in my new BOB stroller I bought.  I am trying to swim 2x a week now.  The bike is still on the trainer and that is torture to do for me!  LOL  But enough complaining for me. I know if I want to do this I will have to just get it all done!  I am motivated now and seeing you guys get your training in is more motivation for me.

By the way... How do I use the logs?  How do I put in my training?  I tried to wrrite in something for yesterday but it doesn't seem to save it??  what am I doing wrong? 

2010-04-13 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2788000

User image

Master
Vista, CA

elbi999 - 2010-04-13 7:55 AM
kerryd - 2010-04-13 9:34 AM What is the deal about sidewalks vs pavement?  I have never been a runner, so I don't get it.  Why is asphalt so much better?

Laura, can you start the 16 week training earlier?  I hope you don't have to drop timberlan

Yanti, thanks for updating the graphic!  I had to replace the thread link (just used a hard coded link) but it's great!!!  Thank you!!

I am going to continue getting in as much running and swimming and mostly biking on the trainer until May that I can.  Then I have a 16 week plan that I took out of an old issue of Triathlete that was designed for someone training for a 70.3 who doesn't have a ton of free time to train every day.  I will do what I can with this plan.  It's tough with kids ( even tougher with the baby) and my husband is out of the house to leave for work at 5:15 am and doesn't get home until 6 pm.  Then throw in the nights he teaches Karate and it leaves me little time to train.  I can run with the baby in my new BOB stroller I bought.  I am trying to swim 2x a week now.  The bike is still on the trainer and that is torture to do for me!  LOL  But enough complaining for me. I know if I want to do this I will have to just get it all done!  I am motivated now and seeing you guys get your training in is more motivation for me.

By the way... How do I use the logs?  How do I put in my training?  I tried to wrrite in something for yesterday but it doesn't seem to save it??  what am I doing wrong? 

I usually click training on the main blog page and the three screens come up and enter the info and then click save and return to blog. Or, if you're just blogging you can type your entry and then click OK. Hope that helps.

I was having issues saving stuff and having it disappear for a while. If that's the problem, contact marmadaddy via the technical issues forum.

2010-04-13 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2777772

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--OPEN
elbi999 - 2010-04-08 2:58 PM OK so about me.  I am 38 , married for almost 12 years and have a daughter who will be 7 in July, and a son who will be 1 tomorrow.  I wasn't super athletic growing up.  After my daughter was born I joined the gym and had been going regularly. I got into a conversation at the gym one day with an aquaintance who said she was going to sign up for a sprint tri and asked if I wanted to do it.  I said "Um sure" having no bike experience except tooling around on a mountain bike, and no swim experience except for Red cross lessons as a little one.  That was 2 seasons ago and have had 2 fun seasons of sprints and one oly, with a half marathon and some 5K and 10K races thrown in there.  At the end of last season my friend and I agreed to sign up together for Timberman Half.  My training this winter was non existent (for good reason)... we were back and forth to Russia 3 separate times to adopt our son.  I got an occasional swim and run in here and there but was so overwhelmed with the traveling and planning.   So, now that he is home with us (I would't change that for anything) I need to get my butt in gear if I want to cross the finish line at Timberman.  

Looking forward to hanging here and getting motivated and having a few laughs along the way.  

Still trying to catch up and get to know everyone.  That adoption process must have been brutal, but so glad your son now has you both!  If you don't mind saying, where on LI are you?  I grew up in Suffolk.
2010-04-13 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Master

Hello Manatees - I have a question.  What do you wear for bottoms when you run.  I have major chaffing issues (sorry Ryan).  I have 2 pair of running shorts and they bunch up.  I don't like to run in my tri shorts unless I'm doing a tri...for some reason I feel like a dork.  Have you tried a running skirt?  What's under the skirt?  None of the pictures on the websites show.

2010-04-13 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2788387

User image

Master
Vista, CA

crews - 2010-04-13 9:51 AM

Hello Manatees - I have a question.  What do you wear for bottoms when you run.  I have major chaffing issues (sorry Ryan).  I have 2 pair of running shorts and they bunch up.  I don't like to run in my tri shorts unless I'm doing a tri...for some reason I feel like a dork.  Have you tried a running skirt?  What's under the skirt?  None of the pictures on the websites show.

I've had that problem off and on with shorts. I like the shorts to be a bit longer to help avoid that issue. What I've tried -- body glide or vasoline or aquaphor, all are topical to help the legs not chafe. All three work great for under the bra line and straps, too if you have that chafing issue (here we go with bras again).   In the cooler weather I wear running tights or running capri tights, which really takes care of the issue.

As for the skirts, haven't run in one myself, but most have boyshorts or some kind of underwear under them. I saw a review on running skirts recently, either in Women's Running or Running magazine. If I find it again I'll post a link.

2010-04-13 11:59 AM

User image

Melon Presser
crews - 2010-04-14 1:51 AM

Didn't I mention somewhere it's still one of my life's goals to find running shorts that don't bunch up?

I don't like to run in tri shorts for the simple reason they don't have pockets. However for short runs I run in them all the time, provided I can stuff some money and a cell phone in my bra.

Never been able to find a running skirt that doesn't ride up over the compression liner underneath (like spandex boy shorts).

For chafing, I "glue" the running shorts to my inner thighs with lube. Plus, then I don't chafe.

BOA, Adidas, and Nike all make loose shorts that have something like a compression liner underneath, and I've had excellent success with them. Plus, they have pockets.

You could also try Under Armor or another thin-fitting dry-material short tight underneath your running shorts.

2010-04-13 12:03 PM
in reply to: #2788406

User image

Master

TriAya - 2010-04-13 11:59 AM
crews - 2010-04-14 1:51 AM

Didn't I mention somewhere it's still one of my life's goals to find running shorts that don't bunch up?

I don't like to run in tri shorts for the simple reason they don't have pockets. However for short runs I run in them all the time, provided I can stuff some money and a cell phone in my bra.

Never been able to find a running skirt that doesn't ride up over the compression liner underneath (like spandex boy shorts).

For chafing, I "glue" the running shorts to my inner thighs with lube. Plus, then I don't chafe.

BOA, Adidas, and Nike all make loose shorts that have something like a compression liner underneath, and I've had excellent success with them. Plus, they have pockets.

You could also try Under Armor or another thin-fitting dry-material short tight underneath your running shorts.

Thanks.  I think I may get a pair of the thin-fitting wicking material tights thingys.  Then I can wear them under anything.  I've got on a skirt today, and yesterday's issues from the run are killing me.  Ugh. 

2010-04-13 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

No worries. I can deal with the chafing and bra comments quietly over here
Obviously I cannot comment on women-specific chafing but body glide does help with shorts, bike shorts, wetsuits, etc. And it doesn't stain...at least it hasn't for me yet.

I had the same thoughts about running in tri shorts. But now I just do it. I figured I should train (at least sometimes) in what I am going to wear on race day.  I too was most nervous about the stares from strangers as I ran down the street.
But now I take on the mentality of go ahead and stare as I run past the outdoor cafe during my intense workout as you sit there sipping on your milkshake and eating your cheeseburger (not that there is anything wrong with either of those two treats). Tongue out

2010-04-13 12:06 PM
in reply to: #2788404

User image

Master

lmscozz - 2010-04-13 11:59 AM

crews - 2010-04-13 9:51 AM

I've had that problem off and on with shorts. I like the shorts to be a bit longer to help avoid that issue. What I've tried -- body glide or vasoline or aquaphor, all are topical to help the legs not chafe. All three work great for under the bra line and straps, too if you have that chafing issue (here we go with bras again).   In the cooler weather I wear running tights or running capri tights, which really takes care of the issue.

As for the skirts, haven't run in one myself, but most have boyshorts or some kind of underwear under them. I saw a review on running skirts recently, either in Women's Running or Running magazine. If I find it again I'll post a link.

Thanks!  I went thru my fair share of Body Glide while training for my marathon.  If I didn't use it on the bra strap, it looked like someone tried to cut me in half.  Learned that the hard way.  It just doesn't cut it on the legs though.  I'm gonna try a thin pair of tights under my shorts. 

2010-04-13 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
What about guys running shorts?  They could be longer and many have built-in underwear. Although I am not sure if this would hurt or help women.  Ok I am done now
2010-04-13 12:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I HAVE to wear some sort of skin tight shorts or leggings, preferably down to bottom of thigh.  Without that, my legs rub together too much.  I alternate between my Tri Shorts (which are cheap and have a pocket on each thigh and I actually really love them, they are made by "Skirt Shorts" and are meant to be worn under a running skirt). 

Most skirts have form-fitting shorts underneath.  I wouldn't wear a skirt without that!  Some have a bikini-type bottom (which wouldn't help my particular thigh issues).

2010-04-13 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2788077

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
lmscozz - 2010-04-13 10:22 AM

elbi999 - 2010-04-13 7:55 AM

I usually click training on the main blog page and the three screens come up and enter the info and then click save and return to blog. Or, if you're just blogging you can type your entry and then click OK. Hope that helps.

I was having issues saving stuff and having it disappear for a while. If that's the problem, contact marmadaddy via the technical issues forum.

What do you mean by the "main blog page"?  I am sooo not tech savvy...I am lucky I know how to post to the board!

Dineen- I am in Massapequa now.  Grew up in Copiague and we moved to Rockville Centre for a bit when we first got married, then settled in Massapequa about 6 years ago.   Where did you grow up, if you don't mind my asking.  My college roommate who was also from LI knew someone named Dineen and it is not a very common name.  
2010-04-13 1:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
I have the same issue with running shorts.  I am actually more comfortable running in my tri shorts because of the chaffing issues with running shorts.  I used to use the body glide but it didn't help.  I recently decided to try globs of my chamois butter and so far... so good.  I had minimal chaffing with it.  
2010-04-13 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2788733

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Laura -

For entering your training info:
1. At the top of any page click on the "training log" icon/button.

2. You can then scroll down to today's date and click "training. (or you can select the calendar and click on the day that you want to add activity to)

3. The next screen should have 3 main columns  (actual swim, bike, and run). Here you can enter time, distance, notes, HR, etc.

I hope this helps.  I couldn't copy screen shots on here for you for some reason.
2010-04-13 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2787194

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
thndrcloud - 2010-04-13 1:11 AM

Returning to our earlier discussion of bra sizes (and apologies in advance to token male Ryan), I just wanted to share that I've lost so much weight in my upper half that I apparently no longer require one.  Why is it that the fifteen pounds I've lost are all up top?  My current proportions are similar to what you would get if you took a Skipper dolls upper half and planted it on Betty Boop's lower half.  Except my curves are more cottage cheesy.  Life isn't fair.

I wish this was my problem.  I used to be a 40-42B.  After losing a bunch of weight, I am now a 36, but usually a C, not because I got bigger, but because the girls are so droopy, with so much extra skin, that by the time I get them up where they belong, there is a lot of extra "stuff" to pack in the bra! Surprised

I also find that I have to run in compression shorts.  Well, I don't have to, but I am much more comfortable, and my thighs thank me.  I actually love them.  I do have a running skirt, but I find that the compression shorts are not as long as regular shorts and they ride up sometimes.   And I have gotten over caring what other people think about how I look!!

Thanks for the chart Yanti.  I am off to copy it to my logs!

Happy training.

Karen
2010-04-13 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2788450

User image

Master

blackledge - 2010-04-13 12:15 PM What about guys running shorts?  They could be longer and many have built-in underwear. Although I am not sure if this would hurt or help women.  Ok I am done now

Hubbs runs, so I tried his out.  There was too much material on the inside.  Does that make sense?

2010-04-13 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2788770

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
with pics (hopefully).  I hope that this guides you in the right direction Laura.

(1.JPG)

(training logs.JPG)

(calendar.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
1.JPG (31KB - 9 downloads)
training logs.JPG (84KB - 11 downloads)
calendar.JPG (44KB - 4 downloads)
2010-04-13 1:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
Yeah that's the page I was trying to log for monday.  I entered distance and a comment under run and hit save, but when I look at my main training log page nothing shows up for Monday.  I will have to play with it again.

2010-04-13 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
wait I think I got it now... Now I just have to actually TRAIN so I can log it!  

Masters swim on tap for this evening. 
2010-04-13 2:16 PM
in reply to: #2788856

User image

Regular
elbi999 - 2010-04-13 2:57 PM wait I think I got it now... Now I just have to actually TRAIN so I can log it!  

Masters swim on tap for this evening. 

LOL!!!

I have been thinking about joining the Masters Team to parlay their OWS sessions, but I am not up to snuff yet.
2010-04-13 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2788422

User image

Melon Presser
crews - 2010-04-14 2:06 AM

Thanks!  I went thru my fair share of Body Glide while training for my marathon.  If I didn't use it on the bra strap, it looked like someone tried to cut me in half.  Learned that the hard way.  It just doesn't cut it on the legs though.  I'm gonna try a thin pair of tights under my shorts. 

Sorry to say, I gave up on BodyGlide a long time ago. It didn't keep my wetsuit from eating my neck, it didn't last in tris out of the water, it's chunky and hard to apply, and on my clothes it did stain and stink

Switched to SportShield roll-on and have never looked back. Can still feel it lubing after a half-iron, after long sweaty bikes, after rough OWS, etc. etc.

2010-04-13 3:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Well, work is about over for the day.  My planned ride has turned into a run because it is cold and raining here.  Just not up for that on the bike tonight.  Biking in the rain still freaks me out.  I am a clutz and am afraid of skidding out on the wet pavement.  I know, it may be raining on race day and I may have to, but for tonight, it will be a run!
Have a good evening everyone.

Karen
2010-04-13 7:14 PM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
This may have been covered somewhere further back, but how do we add friends on here? I want to be friends with my fellow Manatees.

I intended on going out for a 10 mi bike, but my butt had other plans. I was really sore after only about 2 miles, so I turned around and went back. I did increase my pace, though, so that was good. I also looked into swim lessons, but you have to get them in 4 week sessions and the next session starts the week after my first tri. I may stop by before one of the classes and talk with the instructor and see if they'll let me pick up a few in this session. Worth a shot, right?

I'm uber-busy tomorrow. Dance rehearsal, yoga class, & a swim. At least I get to sleep in.
2010-04-13 7:28 PM
in reply to: #2789664

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Scottie07 - 2010-04-13 5:14 PM This may have been covered somewhere further back, but how do we add friends on here? I want to be friends with my fellow Manatees.

I intended on going out for a 10 mi bike, but my butt had other plans. I was really sore after only about 2 miles, so I turned around and went back. I did increase my pace, though, so that was good. I also looked into swim lessons, but you have to get them in 4 week sessions and the next session starts the week after my first tri. I may stop by before one of the classes and talk with the instructor and see if they'll let me pick up a few in this session. Worth a shot, right?

I'm uber-busy tomorrow. Dance rehearsal, yoga class, & a swim. At least I get to sleep in.

to add friends:

1- settings at top of screen with the little wrench

2-training blog customization

3-friends on lower tab

4-click the ... box and a pop-up with a search bar comes up

5-type in username and then click from choices and click submit

And, thanks Ryan for the help and screenshots for the logs...

2010-04-14 10:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Good morning everyone!  Thanks for posting how to add friends, I was just going to ask!!!  I had a good run last night and am all set for a ride after work.  It is sunny out today and about 20 deg warmer than yesterday!  What do you all have going on today?

Karen
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60