General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2010-12-06 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3238167

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
wiky - 2010-12-06 11:25 AM
LazyMarathoner - 2010-12-05 12:38 PM

The bike course is challenging, but mostly from a technical aspect (not to downplay the 5,000+ feet of climbing!). You are always shifting, turning, climbing, descending. I can't think of a nice flat stretch where you can just cruise in aero.

There is that long, flat, straight section on Stagecoach Rd.  Unfortunately, that stretch of pavement would more appropriately be named Rumble Strip Rd. 

Are you sure that isn't a false flat? I will have to look back at the Garmin data but if I recall it was around 2% so while it looked flat, it was annoying, especially if there is wind. And those rumble strips are the worst! I was daydreaming and drifted onto them more than once!

2010-12-06 3:09 PM
in reply to: #3238670

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
LazyMarathoner - 2010-12-06 4:02 PM
wiky - 2010-12-06 11:25 AM
LazyMarathoner - 2010-12-05 12:38 PM

The bike course is challenging, but mostly from a technical aspect (not to downplay the 5,000+ feet of climbing!). You are always shifting, turning, climbing, descending. I can't think of a nice flat stretch where you can just cruise in aero.

There is that long, flat, straight section on Stagecoach Rd.  Unfortunately, that stretch of pavement would more appropriately be named Rumble Strip Rd. 

Are you sure that isn't a false flat? I will have to look back at the Garmin data but if I recall it was around 2% so while it looked flat, it was annoying, especially if there is wind. And those rumble strips are the worst! I was daydreaming and drifted onto them more than once!

You might be right.  I just remember the first time I road the course thinking: this should be a nice relatively flat stretch and we have to ride over this crap pavement!

2010-12-06 4:06 PM
in reply to: #3232197

User image

Master
Living in the past
GRB1 - 2010-12-01 11:04 AM

One more note about the course, it is ridden by a large amount of bikers every week during the season.  This being the case I think the locals are getting a bit tired/pisssed off dealing with all the bikes on the course.  There have been a number of cyclists who have had some close calls with the traditional haters in pickups honking/yelling while riding by.  If at all possible I would advocate for a group ride over going it alone.  This being the case I train closer to my house, about 30 miles away, which has very similar hills/layout and basically no traffic.  Not a huge issue but something to be aware of.

Depending on the size of your group and how well it behaves, I suggest you ride solo. Large, poorly mannered groups make for bigger targets of abuse and are harder to police, IMO.
2010-12-06 4:39 PM
in reply to: #3235962

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

Fred Doucette - 2010-12-03 3:47 PM Great write up Greg! I think one of the challenges of the Wisconsin course that I have been told of is that there are a lot of turns which you can lose your momentum on and that the key is to try to really hammer the downhill portions to maintain momentum for the subsequent next hill climb. David G. At Elite bicycles told me this strathegy. Would love to hear others thoughts on this, as entering a hill climb without momentum can really be costly. Clearly there are hills which are not possible to start the climb with momentum, but maximizing this situation will be my goal. I will be coached and will be training and racing with a power meter for the first time in 2011. I have been coached before in 2008 and really enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to this a lot. Wisconsin has been compared (on the bike) a lot to Lake Placid in terms of difficulty with no real consensus on which one is harder. My anecdotal recollection is that those who have raced LP say LP is harder and that those who have raced Wisconsin say Wisconsin is harder. Harder is also a pretty hard to define term. My suspicion is that each course probably plays to different strengths and weaknesses with LP having more long sustained climbs and Wisconsin more of a technical course. Would again be interested to hear other peoples thoughts on these topics. Cheers and have a great weekend.

Having raced both LP and WI previously, I would say that I like the LP course more.  *BUT* my bike time on the WI course was 10 min faster than my LP bike time.

They are definitely different courses, but depending on your strengths and the weather, are probably comparable in overall difficulty.

LP you're doing one thing for long sections, with few turns.  WI has you doing lots more smaller up and down and frequent turns.  You can ride WI smart and get some good time back ( such as carrying momentum as noted above ).  LP is less technical in that sense and requires more sustained efforts.

One big difference is the last part of LP is a climb ( the gorge ) while the last part of WI is a slight net downhill.  That makes a lot of difference in how you ride the last 5-10 miles of each of those courses.

-Chris

2010-12-07 6:43 AM
in reply to: #3111494

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-12-07 6:46 AM
in reply to: #3238787

2010-12-07 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3239291

Master
Lexington, KY
Fred Doucette - 2010-12-07 7:43 AM Thanks for the input Chris! I will definitely be planning a scouting weekend to ride the course in July to get a better handle of the bike course. The one 'easier' part of the LP course is by the time I usually get to the second loop, iit is pretty empty of riders. My guess is the multiple loop set up at Wisconsin means that we will be always surrounded by a lot of riders? Correct me if I am wrong about this. ie; Wiky, did you find yourself passing BOPers at lot on the bike (looping them) or not? Because LP is only 2 long loops, I only ended up lapping people on the very BOP who were on the cusp of making the cutoff, ie; there were not a lot of people in this circumstance.

Fred - Good question, that was something that worried my about IMWI also, especially after my experience on the IMKY course. 

On the second loop at IMKY I had to ride through LOTS of people that were still on their first loop, and they were mixed in with a fair amount of motor vehicle traffic.  That was really annoying - vehicles you couldn't pass because they couldn't pass packs of first-loop riders in front of them.  I ended up breaking a few of the race rules (passing bikes+cars+RVs on the right, crossing double yellow lines) to get through the congestion. Not a good situation at all. 

In contrast, at IMWI I only had to ride through a couple handfuls of first-loop riders while finishing my second loop.  And I encountered zero motor vehicle traffic at IMWI.  So, the first-loop riders didn't slow me at all.  Just another aspect of the IMWI race that made for a good experience.
2010-12-07 8:22 AM

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
There is a Q&A in this month's Bicycling (page 20) that talks about the difference between long, steady climbs and shorter, steeper climbs and how to increase acceleration ability. Might be an interesting read linked to this discussion.
2010-12-07 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3239374

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
wiky - 2010-12-07 9:11 AM
Fred - Good question, that was something that worried my about IMWI also, especially after my experience on the IMKY course. 

On the second loop at IMKY I had to ride through LOTS of people that were still on their first loop, and they were mixed in with a fair amount of motor vehicle traffic.  That was really annoying - vehicles you couldn't pass because they couldn't pass packs of first-loop riders in front of them.  I ended up breaking a few of the race rules (passing bikes+cars+RVs on the right, crossing double yellow lines) to get through the congestion. Not a good situation at all. 

In contrast, at IMWI I only had to ride through a couple handfuls of first-loop riders while finishing my second loop.  And I encountered zero motor vehicle traffic at IMWI.  So, the first-loop riders didn't slow me at all.  Just another aspect of the IMWI race that made for a good experience.

How would you compare IMKY bike to IMWI bike?  I did IMKY last year and thought the bike course was awesome, not too hard or technical, not crowded, I really liked it.  I was not too worried about IMWI until I started reading the last several posts.  Is IMWI a lot more difficult?  I have visions of sharp right turns after every hill.  How do the two courses compare?
2010-12-07 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3239630

Master
Lexington, KY
karen26.2 - 2010-12-07 11:23 AM
How would you compare IMKY bike to IMWI bike?  I did IMKY last year and thought the bike course was awesome, not too hard or technical, not crowded, I really liked it.  I was not too worried about IMWI until I started reading the last several posts.  Is IMWI a lot more difficult?  I have visions of sharp right turns after every hill.  How do the two courses compare?

If you liked IMKY, you'll love IMWI.  Difficulty level (ie, quad impact) is very similar between the two.  There are a couple places on the IMWI course where you need to keep your descending speed in check due to curves in the road, and the pavement is a little rough in some spots.  Preview the course before the race and you'll be set.
2010-12-07 3:26 PM

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Thanks wiky - that's very encouraging to hear.  I'm looking forward to IMWI again!!!

2010-12-08 11:07 AM

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota
I came across this on our local Minnesota thread and thought I would pass it along. A fellow BT'er went last year and said it was a great experience and the registration is free. Everybody chips in for dinners and you pay your own hotel/travel costs. Here is the link http://www.wisconsinbrickadventure.com to the website. Maybe something to consider for your training calander next summer.
2010-12-08 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3241265

New user
Normal, IL
Thanks Mike, great idea. I just signed up.
2010-12-08 6:52 PM
in reply to: #3240232

2010-12-09 11:52 AM

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

How is it we are up to 11 pages, and I only just found this thread??

Here goes:

1. Is this your first IM? No, I did IMCdA in 2007
2. Have you done IMWI before? Nope!
3. What are your goals for the 2011 race? Finish in good health, with a smiling hubby and kiddo waiting for me at the finish line.  Hopefully in less than 14 hours.
4. How/Why did you select the Ironman Wisconsin race?  Looks like I'll know a few folks out there on the course.   Plus, I have been told Madison has some of the best community support for the race of any of the IMNA events.  CdA was fantastic in terms of community support.
5. Do you have any specific questions that you wish addressed about IMWI; the race, training etc...?  We'll get there!

2010-12-10 3:42 PM

Regular
Central MN
Here are my thoughts - 2010 was my first and only IM. I was about 175 lbs at race start and 6'2". I rode my P2 geared 53/39 and 12-25. I don't think I'm the strongest cyclist, but was able to sneak in just under 6 hours for the ride. With no IM experience, I had planned to go about 6:30. I absolutely loved the bike course - the scenery/terrain and support were awesome, but I think that's why I pushed myself a little too hard - riding on a mental high without accurately monitoring my effort and later paying for it on the run (see my race report). Having read previous posts, I kept chanting "Don't eat the paste" and held back for the first 30-40 miles. As expected, (and with a relatively fast swim), I was passed by lots of folks in those first miles. However, I did my share of passing over the last 40 miles

I never really felt held up by other riders and the traffic was minimal. Road conditions were reasonably good. Aid stations were well stocked and plenty of Port-o-potties - (stopped three times - gotta learn how to pee on the bike!)

The day before the race, I was walking along the lakefront with my kids and watching some of the swimmers come in - one of the guys notices my bracelet and asks if this would be my first race. I told him I was most nervous about the bike course, and so he advises me of the 3 big hills - don't get out of the saddle or let the crowds get you too excited. Good recommendation as there were so many cheering us on at those points. He also said to push hard on the downhill right after leaving Mt Horeb. He was right! As most of those near me were slowing down on the descent, I was able to carry the rollers all the way to the final climb and sharp right turn (sorry, I can't remember the street names at this point). Probably didn't save a whole lot of time, but I'd bet the energy saved was helpful later on. As far as the other descents, most of you could carry them without too much difficulty, but be sure to drive/ride the course as a few of them are quite steep with sharp turns. I came upon one poor SOB who didn't make one turn and grabbed a ride with the ambulance.

Looking back, I was able to stay aero for the entire race with only a few exceptions, primarily the Mt. Horeb climb and the other three big hills. There is a lot of shifting, but it's manageable. If I do the race again, I'm not sure that I would change any of my gear (other than wearing an aero helmet). Stomach aches on the run were either due to overeating on the ride, riding faster that I should have, or both.

Good luck to all of you! I'll be cheering for you in 2011 - John

2010-12-18 6:08 AM

2010-12-18 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3253136

Master
Living in the past
Fred Doucette - 2010-12-18 6:08 AM Just wondering how everyone is doing? My formal training will start January 1st and I am pretty excited about it. I have still been consistently SBRing, but not so much volume.

Another question? Are the northerners doing the race using a trainer and treadmill or just toughing it outside? I have done both approaches in different years, but have decided to essentially do all my training indoors until March. Maybe the occassional run when it is nice on the weekend afternoon. Curious about other people's approaches.

Trainer: Yes, out of necessity, certainly no joy in riding it.
Dreadmill: NEVER! (OK, sometimes).
2010-12-18 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3253136

Albion and Cadillac
Fred Doucette - 2010-12-17 7:08 AM Just wondering how everyone is doing? My formal training will start January 1st and I am pretty excited about it. I have still been consistently SBRing, but not so much volume.

Another question? Are the northerners doing the race using a trainer and treadmill or just toughing it outside? I have done both approaches in different years, but have decided to essentially do all my training indoors until March. Maybe the occassional run when it is nice on the weekend afternoon. Curious about other people's approaches.

I live in northern Michigan, and we currently have at least 2 feet of snow (about 17 inches from one storm last week), but that is continually growing.  It has also been consistently 10-20 degrees with wind chills dropping that even lower. 

That said I am happy to say that I bought a bike trainer this fall and will be using that for my bike training this winter. As far as running goes I will probably try to bundle up and tough it out most days just because I enjoy running outside far more than on a treadmill even when it's cold. I've considered buying a pair of running snowshoe to add a little versatility to my winter running and to be able to increase the amount of terrain I can cover, but probably will not do so. I attend a college in Southern Michigan (Albion) where there is very little snow so I would only be able to use the snowshoes for about a month while I'm home for Christmas.

Anyway good luck with your training. I'm currently increasing my volume as well, and am enjoying it. Really looking forward to the next  8.5 months.
2010-12-18 9:55 AM

Master
Lexington, KY
I spent several winters running outside in Northern WI and Upper MI and loved it.  Something about a solid workout in cold temps that is invigorating.  But I pulled a calf muscle on my last cold weather run, and I'm thinking I'll mostly stick with the treadmill this winter except for the warmer weather days.

Any of you northerners skate skiing?  That used to be my favorite form of winter training.  Really miss it. 
2010-12-18 5:08 PM
in reply to: #3253256

2010-12-18 8:35 PM

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Right now our roads are not that bad in NE WI so I will try to run outside for some of it.  However, if the weather stays this cold, it might be some long miles on the dreadmill

I will live on the trainer until the roads become safe.... I have bad memories of crashing on my bike because I hit some of the last snow in a shaded area a few springs ago.  I don't need to do that.

My really low training starts up next week and then I break into a base building period until May.... then on to the fun stuff!  After watching the World Championship today, I can't wait to get going.  That finish line is calling me!!!

2010-12-21 8:01 PM

2010-12-21 9:05 PM

Veteran
, Wisconsin
Thanks for the heads-up.  I've been looking for a group and wasn't sure how they work.  I'll be on the look-out to sign up as a "mentee".
2010-12-22 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3256952

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Fred Doucette - 2010-12-21 8:01 PM Hey, just letting everyone in the IM Moo thread know that they opened the mentor groups for the winter session. For those interested in being mentors this is an FYI and an encouragement to sign up to be a mentor to help others in the sport. For those interested in being 'mentees' then there are a number of good groups to join if interested. I put my name in to be a mentor for the winter 2011 session and would be happy to have anyone in the Wisconsin group here join me. I think the group won't be 'live' for a day or 2.

I'm not a coach, but have been involved with a successful mentor group in the past focussing of HIM/IM distance events. Sorry for the interuption, and now back to your regularly scheduled programming

Fred is a great mentor if your looking for one, I was in his group this year and really benefitted from his experience. 
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ford Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 56