BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2010-12-30 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3268224

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL!
_Deb_ - 2010-12-30 1:20 PM

I'm also doing the resolution run.  It's tomorrow.  I'm hoping to break the 30 minute mark on the 5k.  I know that doesn't seem fast to some, but for me, it would be great. 

Good luck and have fun!

2010-12-30 3:38 PM
in reply to: #3256274

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
Good luck tomorrow, Deb!  I'm really looking forward to our resolution here.  We've been pretty spoiled for weather lately... it was about 2*C for the Santa Shuffle in December, and it's now looking like 4*C for the resolution run! 

It sounds like you've already accomplished a lot, and this run will be a great way to start off a year full of new accomplishments!  Have a great one, and I look forward to hearing about it!

2010-12-30 3:44 PM

User image

Deb...forgot to mention that anytime you mention you are going to race...you have to fill out a race report when you're done. 

Edited by tri808 2010-12-30 3:44 PM
2010-12-30 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3268664

User image

Champion
tri808 - 2010-12-30 2:44 PM

Deb...forgot to mention that anytime you mention you are going to race...you have to fill out a race report when you're done.

Indeed, this is true!!

Heading to the beach and warm weather for a week tomorrow!!! Cannot wait to get out of the arctic snow and run in the warm weather for a few days.
2010-12-30 4:20 PM

User image

Fall River, WI
Good luck in your race.  I too would be very happy with a 30 min 5k.

My knee seems to be holding up ok.  I have a little pain with walking, but do not feel anything while running, biking or swimming.  For now I'm just going to roll with it and keep up with Advil and ice.  Did 80 minutes on the trainer today and have a sore behind to show for it.  That may have something to do with not having any bike shorts for my ride on Tuesday.  I definiately need something better to watch while on the trainer.  80 minutes of Sportscenter just didn't cut it, and at 0900 there isn't much to choose from.  I think I will look into Spinervals or something similar.

2010-12-30 5:40 PM

User image

David,

Is it possible that a powertap wheel could read power on the trainer differently than on the road.  I was always under the assumption that a watt is a watt.  But since doing JorgeM's program...I'm noticing that 90% (210 watts for me) efforts are really tough.  I look at the power profiles of some of my outdoor rides where I sustain 225 watts for roughly the same time frame and it's nowhere near as difficult.

Maybe it's just in my head...but by RPE...it feels like the trainer is 20% harder to hold the same wattage than what I put out on the road.  I should note that the power I'm comparing to on the road is at a steady effort with no coasting or stopping.  It's the actual avg power, not the normalized power.

2010-12-30 5:58 PM
in reply to: #3268710

User image

Regular
Augusta
inmyelement - 2010-12-30 4:20 PM Good luck in your race.  I too would be very happy with a 30 min 5k.

My knee seems to be holding up ok.  I have a little pain with walking, but do not feel anything while running, biking or swimming.  For now I'm just going to roll with it and keep up with Advil and ice.  Did 80 minutes on the trainer today and have a sore behind to show for it.  That may have something to do with not having any bike shorts for my ride on Tuesday.  I definiately need something better to watch while on the trainer.  80 minutes of Sportscenter just didn't cut it, and at 0900 there isn't much to choose from.  I think I will look into Spinervals or something similar.

You could always throw a copy of "American Flyers" and spin to that...  
2010-12-30 9:02 PM
in reply to: #3268847

User image

Champion
Some say yes, some no.

I have NEVER been able to replicate outdoor watts inside with an SRM. Wheni last used it on a trainer (about two years ago), threshold was was 275 i think and FTP type intervals on the trainer were around 250 or so. and higher end watts i could not come close to hitting.

this is due to a few things. partly mental, partly heat (some high powered fans will help the power go up), and partly the trainer you are using.
2010-12-30 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3269069

User image

Hugo, MN
I've wondered about this too. 

I've always imagined that the tighter you have your trainer mounted to your tire, the more resistance you'll experience. 

I suppose it doesn't really matter, hard effort still reaps rewards.

Had a nice tempo workout on the TM myself today.  
2010-12-30 9:18 PM
in reply to: #3266032

Lancaster
inmyelement - 2010-12-29 10:55 AM At what point do you take a day off due to having some pain?  I started having some pain in my knee last night.  I wasn't doing anything strenuos at the time I noticed the pain.  The pain is not severe by any means, just a bit on an ache.  The only way that it is reproducible is if I squat all the way down.  There is no swelling or bruising.  I had a episode of petellofemoral pain syndrome back in Aug but this feels a little different.  I did a session on the trainer yesterday and had no knee pain during the workout.

I hate to miss a day especially after the way I slacked off over the holiday.  Today's planned training is running and swimming.  I would just go to the gym and see how things go but it is a 50 mile round trip, and with $3 per gallon gas that is a bit spendy trip for my truck.  Should I just suck it up and see how things feel or take the day off and re-evaluate tomorrow.

I have the same type thing.  Pain at the top of the shin/bottom of the knee.  Had it for a few weeks.  It feels like a bruise to the touch but there is no visible bruising.  I'm fine on the spin cycle but if I squat down to grab something off the ground or run on the treadmill for a few minutes it gets sore.
2010-12-30 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3266767

Lancaster
newbz - 2010-12-29 4:21 PM Totally depends on the type of Y/area its in. The nicer the area the more likely it'll be packed right after holidays. The one i used last year was in a fairly low income area and not much changed, a few more people that were not in school but that was it. When i lived in Columbus and had a membership at the rec center, it would be jammed for the few days after new years, and would slowly return to normal within a week or two. If you want the real entertaining time, watch out after the next summer olympics, my pool was packed with people trying to do the butterfly for a few days during/after phelps would swim. Was a fun time to watch.

That's funny to see.  I was a swimmer for years so when I'm in the pool doing laps, flip turns just seem natural.  It's comical to see the saggy skin 50+ group in the scuba style goggles doing their daily 20 laps decide they are not about to be outdone and begin trying flip turns only to come up gasping for air after an attempt at a somersault.  Used to be the same way when I was in highchool.  I would go to the Y before school and do a couple miles.  I would mix in a few IM sets and the next thing you know, the whole pool is trying to butterfly or backstroke.

2010-12-30 10:38 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Just dropping in since I first joined the group on Tuesday. I am in the middle of moving from Madison to La Crosse Wisconsin and I won't be in La Crosse officially until the 17th of Jan, but I just moved all 3 of my bikes up their yesterday. Had enough time this morning to do an hour spin on my new Adamo saddle (I think I am really going to like this saddle), but had to head back to Madison directly after. Going swimming tomorrow and a small run as well.

Any ideas how I can simulate biking without paying 10 bucks to use a spin bike at the local gym for the next couple of weeks, or should I just bag it and swim and run to start getting my base up? 
2010-12-30 11:29 PM
in reply to: #3269168

User image

Champion
chasingkona - 2010-12-30 9:38 PM

Just dropping in since I first joined the group on Tuesday. I am in the middle of moving from Madison to La Crosse Wisconsin and I won't be in La Crosse officially until the 17th of Jan, but I just moved all 3 of my bikes up their yesterday. Had enough time this morning to do an hour spin on my new Adamo saddle (I think I am really going to like this saddle), but had to head back to Madison directly after. Going swimming tomorrow and a small run as well.

Any ideas how I can simulate biking without paying 10 bucks to use a spin bike at the local gym for the next couple of weeks, or should I just bag it and swim and run to start getting my base up?

If you dont feel like paying for it and cant have your bike, i'd just bag it this time of year and possibly run a bit more. You'd be surprised how little you'll lose if you keep the running and swimming up. It might take a few days to feel good again but after that you'll be fine.
2010-12-31 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3268664

User image

Regular
tri808 - 2010-12-30 2:44 PM Deb...forgot to mention that anytime you mention you are going to race...you have to fill out a race report when you're done. 

Thanks for letting me know the rules. 

This is an evening race, which I'm already not liking.  I get race day nerves and I wish I was currently getting ready to race rather then getting ready to wait the whole day to race.  Sadly, I've also got my kids' cold now.  It seems to be in the head rather then the chest, so I think I should be able to ignore it for the less then 30 minutes it should take me to run.
2010-12-31 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3269605

User image

Champion
seems to be going around everywhere! I've got a cold and i think most of the people i've been running with do.

Get in a good warm up and that should help loosen things up (sinus' as well as ther est of your body).

The evening races can actually be nice in that you've been up and moving around for a while by the time they start.

Best of luck!

All, i'll probably be out of the loop until tomorrow, heading to airport in a few.
2010-12-31 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3269168

User image

Hugo, MN
chasingkona - 2010-12-30 10:38 PM Just dropping in since I first joined the group on Tuesday. I am in the middle of moving from Madison to La Crosse Wisconsin and I won't be in La Crosse officially until the 17th of Jan, but I just moved all 3 of my bikes up their yesterday. Had enough time this morning to do an hour spin on my new Adamo saddle (I think I am really going to like this saddle), but had to head back to Madison directly after. Going swimming tomorrow and a small run as well.

Well I'm practically right around the corner from you in St. Paul!  Nice to have some that understands my weather pains.

2010-12-31 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Did my first real physical activity in almost 3 Weeks today/  I did an easy 20 minute run with no coughing, and didn't feel too bad.  I plan on doing some real light workout this weekend, and pick up with my training plan on Monday.  Hopefully by then I will be 100% over this pneumonia/bronchitis.

I also snow shoed yesterday, the last two days have been beautiful in Syracuse, glad I was able to take advantage of them.

Happy New Years everybody!

Deb good luck with your race.
2010-12-31 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran
PA
1 hour on the trainer today--feeling much better--this is what I get for hanging out with my nieces and nephews Laughing

Good Luck all that are racing this weekend Cool
2010-12-31 4:30 PM

User image

Regular
Augusta

I've been banging my head on the wall for about 2 weeks now since we've been pretty slammed at work.  Looks like things are going to calm down a bit and I'll be able to start getting some runs in, maybe a couple of bikes.  Hope everyone has a fun, SAFE, and raucous New Years tonight!

Can't wait to get back home so that I can actually train normally instead of basing it on whether or not IDF has come in, among other things at work...lol.

2011-01-01 9:09 AM

User image

Fall River, WI

Time for me to get back on track with nutrition.  I probably didn't need that second creme brule last night or the big slab of garlic rosemary butter on the fillet but they were both oh so good.  Tasty ideas kept popping in my head as I was grocery shopping yesterday.  That's the main reason I am not allowed to go grocery shopping in our household.

I'm taking today and tomorrow off then it's go time.  I have my entire month planned in my log.  Biking has the actual workouts.  For running I am just doing the same amount of time 3 days a week with 2 minutes added every week.  If there is a better plan for base building I am all ears.  For swimming I am still on the fence for workouts.  I started a beginner swim program from BT, but the seems too easy.  I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Masters Swim class.  I can only make about half the classes but can see how having people to swim with could push me.  The 60-70 y/o guy at the pool yesterday that was swimming 4 laps to my 3 really got my butt in gear. 

I am planning to treat myself to a massage if I complete all the days of my sbr training this month. 

Happy New Year to all.

Brent

2011-01-01 12:08 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Newbz!  Just got back from vacation.  Mind if I jump in!?  I didn't think I had to bring my laptop with me just to make sure I got back in your group!  I'm changing my game plan completely for this year.  Should be pretty good.  I'm excited to get started.

2011-01-01 3:24 PM
in reply to: #3270089

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
chmoore2 - 2010-12-31 1:34 PM Did my first real physical activity in almost 3 Weeks today/  I did an easy 20 minute run with no coughing, and didn't feel too bad.  I plan on doing some real light workout this weekend, and pick up with my training plan on Monday.  Hopefully by then I will be 100% over this pneumonia/bronchitis.

Mine was the flu, then immediately a tendon problem with my left knee. I have enough energy to run again, but I'm taking it easy until my knee stops hurting. I'm not looking forward to my first run or bike after 3 or 4 weeks out of shape. I'm estimating 4ish months of training to my first tri, with only one month of pool access right before the race. I'll get through, but I don't expect to perform well.
2011-01-01 5:36 PM

Albany, NY
1 hour spin class today followed by 5K run.  Did reasonably well with both, but I am feeling really tired right now.  Totaled about 9 hrs of training this week, 4 hours of which were a triathlon specific swim clinic.  Learned a ton and I hope to be able to apply it and make myself much more efficient in the water...  I was told my kick is not propulsive and that I need to work on it.  It was suggested that zoomers would help with that along with ankle stretching exercieses.  Anyone else have any suggestions for improving my free style kick (drills, etc..)? Thanks and happy New Year !
2011-01-01 6:06 PM
in reply to: #3266657

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

inmyelement - 2010-12-29 3:32 PM  On a side note, how much of an influx of people can I expect at the Y after the first of the year?  They are offering free day passes this week and were giving A LOT of tours today. 

If your Y is anything like mine, it will be so crowded you'll be jumping the curb and parking in the landscaping for all of January (they love when I do that).  I actually love to see the influx of new members--it's such a positive sign, although sadly most of them will be gone by March.  But, I've been there, so I don't judge.

2011-01-01 6:10 PM
in reply to: #3267175

Extreme Veteran
Morris County, NJ

inmyelement - 2010-12-29 9:09 PM What is your take on Masters Swim classes? Are these classes geared more towards someone with a better base or is this just what I need to build my base and do so without developing bad habits?

Our local Masters group has three levels of workouts.  The only time I run into a snag is when they start with their IM sets.  Those days, I just bump over and adapt the workout to my level.  The coach that runs the lanes is more than happy to offer me suggestions.  So, it really depends on the personality of the Masters coach and the culture of the group.  Definitely give it a try.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  

of 57