BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Briderdt and Lkct's Mentor Group - CLOSED for training! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-01-16 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3256444

User image

Kennesaw
Subject: RE: Briderdt and Lkct's Mentor Group - CLOSED for training!
I have absolutely no idea what anyone is talking about with all the bike posts.  I was wondering if maybe you could give us a bike or swimming tip a day.  I know a lot about running but hardly anything about the other two.  I have a bike but I don't even know anything about it except that it is light blue.

2011-01-16 10:45 AM

User image

Veteran

Took a dip in the pool yesterday for the first time in...uh...a few months?  Yeah, it's been a while and I'm feeling it a little today.  I went for a 20 min run afterwards that wasn't quite as leisurely as I had imagined it would be.   

Looks like the next big race will be an oly the first weekend of June.  Not sure what comes after that.

2011-01-16 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3302115

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
+1 on the Cinelli tape it is very nice.  The Benotto tape has a nice shimmer, no padding.  I have it on my single speed.  I've also used hockey tape on my tri bike as most of the pressure is the arm pads and it just gives something to grip on to.

Curious on the frame painting.  I paint cars (collision/autobody) for a living.  What type of paint job are you getting?  Single stage? Basecoat/ Clearcoat?  Rattlecan?  Enamel or Urethane.  There are products I could paint a bike with that range from $300 a pint to $20 a gallon.  Are they stripping or scuffing the existing frame?  Just curious.

I've never had a problem with cheaper cable as long as I grease the cable itself before putting in back through the housing.
2011-01-16 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3302617

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
merholmgren - 2011-01-16 11:42 AM I have absolutely no idea what anyone is talking about with all the bike posts.  I was wondering if maybe you could give us a bike or swimming tip a day.  I know a lot about running but hardly anything about the other two.  I have a bike but I don't even know anything about it except that it is light blue.

The Harris Cyclery website http://www.sheldonbrown.com/  will teach you everything you wanted to know about your bicycle, from beginning to advanced.   www.parktool.com is also a very good resource for repair and technical information.
2011-01-16 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3299731

I went skiing in Colorado with my daughters over Christmas.   I hadn't hit the slopes in 25 years and couldn't believe how much fun I had.  I probably skied for a total 10 days before this year and I didn't have any trouble at all.   Monarch, CO had 10 feet of snow and great skiing conditions.  My advice -- go for it!
2011-01-16 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3302722

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
knewbike - 2011-01-16 12:07 PM

+1 on the Cinelli tape it is very nice.  The Benotto tape has a nice shimmer, no padding.  I have it on my single speed.  I've also used hockey tape on my tri bike as most of the pressure is the arm pads and it just gives something to grip on to.

Curious on the frame painting.  I paint cars (collision/autobody) for a living.  What type of paint job are you getting?  Single stage? Basecoat/ Clearcoat?  Rattlecan?  Enamel or Urethane.  There are products I could paint a bike with that range from $300 a pint to $20 a gallon.  Are they stripping or scuffing the existing frame?  Just curious.

I've never had a problem with cheaper cable as long as I grease the cable itself before putting in back through the housing.

The aluminum frame will be beadblasted to strip the paint. I'm not sure if they can beadblast the carbon forks, but they'll strip those too. And it's a basecoat/clearcoat. Not sure what single stage means-- I'm only getting one color, with no detailing or decals. I'm not sure what type of paint. I know that powdercoat wasn't an option because of the carbon forks, so they're doing some kind of wet painting. Honesly, I'm not an expert on the technical stuff, but I've heard good things about the service that this particular bike shop uses, and, since I wasn't looking for anything complicated (just plain-old glossy black, head to toe), I figured they'd be fine.

Wish I'd found out sooner that you painted cars-- I would have shipped my frame to you. I'd have had you do some kind of "Pimp My Ride" paint job on it.

I liked the old color (there's a photo in my log), but the bike is almost 10y old, and the finish and decals were starting to look shabby.

2011-01-16 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3302617

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
merholmgren - 2011-01-16 10:42 AM

I have absolutely no idea what anyone is talking about with all the bike posts.  I was wondering if maybe you could give us a bike or swimming tip a day.  I know a lot about running but hardly anything about the other two.  I have a bike but I don't even know anything about it except that it is light blue.

That's a great idea.

Bike tip of the day: The two most important things you can do for your bike are lube and air. Inflate your tires to the recommended pressure BEFORE EVERY RIDE. Tires can lose pressure in a matter of hours. And you should clean/lubricate your chain (check the Sheldon Brown website for instructions) at least once a week and after every wet/muddy ride.

Swim tip of the day: Keeping a narrow profile in the water is critical. Try to imagine that you're swimming through a tube that's only as wide as your shoulders. Make sure your hands and legs stay inside this imaginary tube as you swim.
2011-01-16 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3302941

User image

Kennesaw
Perfect!  I am going for a swim in the morning so I will keep that in my mind the whole time.  Also, I have a question.  Do you need to inflate your tires every time you ride your bike if you are using a trainer indoors?
2011-01-16 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3303028

User image

Veteran
I got a bike question regarding the trainer, too.  I've heard it's a good idea to have a different wheel for the trainer than the one you use on regular rides.  Is this true?  Will the trainer wear down a tire fast? 

We should have our trainer next week sometime so will probably be using it a lot coming up.
2011-01-16 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3303060

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

Depends on the trainer and the tire.  I use the same tires for training and on the trainer (gatorskins) they seem to hold up very well.  For the 1st time this year I bought dedicated racing tires.  We'll see how that goes.  In general the larger diameter cylinder the tire rides on, the less the tire will wear.   Cheaper trainer tend to have smaller diameter cylinders.

I keep the tire a little less inflated on the trainer (80 lbs) and am less likely to inflate before every trainer ride.  I get less tire slip that way.

2011-01-16 5:07 PM
in reply to: #3302115

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
One other thing about cables -- I like to solder and file the cable ends after cutting them to length. It's much easier to maintain the cable later when the end is the same size as the rest of the cable, but doesn't fray AT ALL, no matter how many times you shove it through the casing.

2011-01-16 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3303028

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I'll try to address both tire/trainer questions in one post...

I use the same wheels on the trainer as I do on the road, though it's not my race wheels (I know not every one has "race" and "training" wheels). Same tries as well, and I top off the tires before EVERY road ride, and MOST trainer rides.

On the trainer, the tire actually deflects deeper into its diameter, making more heat. The lower the pressure, the more tendency there is for the tire and tube to "wander" around the wheel. Ever see your valve stem at a kind of odd angle, instead of coming straight out of the rim? That's from the tire wandering. That can cause the tube to tear.

A tire used on the trainer can get a glaze on it, but it really doesn't wear that much faster. And that glaze will wear off very quickly on the road, so it's not much of a danger.
2011-01-16 9:20 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Dave & I went on a "practice" hike today...gotta check out my new shoes.  With the rain we decided to opt for a local hike vs. driving a bit.  Went just under 4 miles...that's farther than I've gone in a while and I feel ok!  (We'll of course see tomorrow how I feel...)

ETA:  How is everyone's training going?? It's just over halfway through the month...are you satisfied with what you're doing?!?!

Edited by lkct01234 2011-01-16 9:35 PM
2011-01-16 9:37 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
I know just a little bit about bikes and know that I can run really slow for like a mile :-D

But I DOOO know a little bit about shopping online for gear...which is pretty much something every triathlete does.  One place that you may or may not have heard of is Sierra Trading Post - - I LOOOOOOVE that place - I get great deals!  Also, another place DT shared with me, that I also love...but don't always find what I want is naughtycodes.com - - you put in the website you're shopping at and it lists any of the coupon codes that are available....

PLUS!!  Don't forget the BT discounts!!

(No I'm not getting paid to advertise...just trying to be helpful...Laughing)
2011-01-17 6:21 AM
in reply to: #3303520

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI
lkct01234 - 2011-01-16 10:20 PM
ETA:  How is everyone's training going?? It's just over halfway through the month...are you satisfied with what you're doing?!?!

I wrote out a 4 month plan and so far am following it.  It's run heavy and is designed to make my running faster.  Intervals and tempo runs hurt.  I'll pick swimming up again in May.  I can get mediocre at swimming fairly quickly.  biking is mostly for active recovery and cross training right now.  Not sure what to do starting in May but already have a lot of Tri's scheduled so I may have to get in the water around then
2011-01-17 8:10 AM

User image

New user

Swimming question, and I hope I am not the only one struggling with this!

I am having a hard time with breathing. I am trying to do 3 stroke and breathe on the third. So it would be left, right, left breathe then right left right breathe. I have a very hard time maintaining that without feeling like i am going to drown. I usually end up doing 3 strokes breathe, 2 strokes breath then 3 and 2 again.I am trying to get into a rhythm so that I am not even really thinking about it, like those great easy long runs I sometimes can have. Am I wasting my time even trying? Does it matter how I breathe (it seems like it should)? Sometimes it makes me not even want to try another sprint for fear of feeling like I am going to drown. 

I really struggled with the swim last year and that was my first Tri. I over all loved it and want to keep doing them.

Any thoughts? Love to hear them.

2011-01-17 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3303130

User image

Veteran
briderdt - 2011-01-16 5:15 PM I'll try to address both tire/trainer questions in one post...

I use the same wheels on the trainer as I do on the road, though it's not my race wheels (I know not every one has "race" and "training" wheels). Same tries as well, and I top off the tires before EVERY road ride, and MOST trainer rides.

On the trainer, the tire actually deflects deeper into its diameter, making more heat. The lower the pressure, the more tendency there is for the tire and tube to "wander" around the wheel. Ever see your valve stem at a kind of odd angle, instead of coming straight out of the rim? That's from the tire wandering. That can cause the tube to tear.

A tire used on the trainer can get a glaze on it, but it really doesn't wear that much faster. And that glaze will wear off very quickly on the road, so it's not much of a danger.

Sounds like I can worry less about riding with the same tire used on the trainer.   

Recently a family friend has offered to let us borrow his race wheels this season.  I don't know much about them but I'll take them. 
2011-01-17 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3303878

User image

Kennesaw
I have the same problem.  I actually have to count 1 -2-3-breathe in my head or I forget and start radnomly breathing which leads to holding my breath to long and then panicking.  Anyone have any tricks or suggestions for us?
2011-01-17 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3304048

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

merholmgren - 2011-01-17 7:55 AM I have the same problem.  I actually have to count 1 -2-3-breathe in my head or I forget and start radnomly breathing which leads to holding my breath to long and then panicking.  Anyone have any tricks or suggestions for us?

Two things:

1) Make sure you're exhaling while your face is in the water. Not a forced sudden exhale, but a long, slow release of air (I breathe out my mouth and nose). What happens if you don't is that you try to both exhale and inhale in that short period where your face is out of the water, and it becomes too shallow, and you can't breathe as well. Also, holding your breath when your face is in the water increases the "panic" reflex, while exhaling helps you relax. So make sure you have time to completely inhale while your face is out of the water by exhaling while it's in the water.

2) There's nothing magical about any particular breathing rhythm. Once you can breathe on either side, then you're free to use whatever rhythm works for you. I tend to do 2 breaths on each side before switching: left-right-breathe left-right-breathe left-right-left-breathe right-left-breathe right... ect... In cold water, it becomes even more difficult, so go ahead and breathe on the same side, and maybe switch to the other side after a while.

Hope that helps.

2011-01-17 3:58 PM

User image

Jackson, MS
lkct01234 - 2011-01-16 9:20 PM

Eh, so far so good.  I didn't do as much last week after the ski trip (I was on vacation all week).  I'm hoping to pick up the biking more once the trainer arrives.  Will make it easy to ride in the AM.

I like the video games idea! May have to try it.  Was also considering Spinervales or a cheap/free knock-off.  Suggestions?  Any You-tube free versions?
2011-01-17 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX
lkct01234 - 2011-01-16 9:20 PM

How is everyone's training going?? It's just over halfway through the month...are you satisfied with what you're doing?!?!

Not really satisfied with my training so far this month. Been sick, busy with work...blah blah blah. Back to the treadmill this evening when I'm done playing taxi with the kiddos.

2011-01-17 4:16 PM

User image

Chelsea, MI
Sorry for being such a lurker, guys. I got back on the bike (ok, the spin bike, but it counts, dammit!) for the first time in I don't know how long after three months of PT and three months of cast/crutches - it was a pretty easy workout, but very glad to get there.

As for swim... my coach (former USA National Team member) suggests 3/1, 3/1. So stroke-stroke-stroke-breathe-breathe-stroke-stroke-stroke. Still has you breathing on both sides, but you get a double breath when you need it, and if you need to "peek" down the tri course, you can lift your head a tiny bit - just enough to expose your goggles out of the water - to sight. Worked for me, but YMMV.

2011-01-17 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3304942

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
I am pretty sore right now.  I am really feeling the ramp up in my training and the recovery ain't kickin' in quick enough for me.  I ordered some Zoot recovery tights today praying they will help speed my recovery for future training.  Everything that I use to swim, bike or run aches.  Swim and bike ride tomorrow!

Anyone have success with recovery tights?
2011-01-17 5:28 PM
in reply to: #3304970

User image

Kennesaw
My husband uses Zoots and really likes them.  He works at a running specialty store.
2011-01-17 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3304942

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
HNewman - 2011-01-17 4:16 PM Sorry for being such a lurker, guys. I got back on the bike (ok, the spin bike, but it counts, dammit!) for the first time in I don't know how long after three months of PT and three months of cast/crutches - it was a pretty easy workout, but very glad to get there.

SPIN BIKE DEFINITELY COUNTS!!! Laughing
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Briderdt and Lkct's Mentor Group - CLOSED for training! Rss Feed  

of 16