BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Mentor Group v3.0 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2011-01-07 2:54 PM
in reply to: #3282154

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: RE: BamaDC's Mentor Group v3.0 - CLOSED
Gaarryy - 2011-01-06 11:00 AM what are some ideas for getting my biking motivation back..   I enjoy swimming and running, but to get on the bike is tougher. Plus I actually like riding my rollers more than outside, well now that it's dark and chilly out.

I"m hoping since the bachelor is back on that will jump start it, for some reason I enjoying biking to that show.

what do you all do when your motivation is a bit lacking.

As quoted in the Tri Talk forum:

"The best training method I ever heard of to develop mental toughness was something that Phil Liggett mentioned during last year’s TdF, I think. He said that years ago, there was a pro cycling team coach who, in order to develop mental toughness and the ability for his riders to stay focused on riding for long periods at a time, used to have them ride on a trainer, alone in a room, facing a brick wall for six hours at a time. " 

Apparently, it didn't say anything about the bachelor.

2011-01-07 5:51 PM
in reply to: #3285252

User image

Champion
the colony texas
pilotzs - 2011-01-07 2:54 PM
Gaarryy - 2011-01-06 11:00 AM what are some ideas for getting my biking motivation back..   I enjoy swimming and running, but to get on the bike is tougher. Plus I actually like riding my rollers more than outside, well now that it's dark and chilly out.

I"m hoping since the bachelor is back on that will jump start it, for some reason I enjoying biking to that show.

what do you all do when your motivation is a bit lacking.

As quoted in the Tri Talk forum:

"The best training method I ever heard of to develop mental toughness was something that Phil Liggett mentioned during last year’s TdF, I think. He said that years ago, there was a pro cycling team coach who, in order to develop mental toughness and the ability for his riders to stay focused on riding for long periods at a time, used to have them ride on a trainer, alone in a room, facing a brick wall for six hours at a time. " 

Apparently, it didn't say anything about the bachelor.

you obviously haven't seen the show    j/k

but thanks though.  I really just need to buy a case of HTFU at costco I guess 
2011-01-07 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3282920

User image

Champion
the colony texas
cornfed - 2011-01-06 3:25 PM
BamaDC - 2011-01-06 3:56 PM
Gaarryy - 2011-01-06 11:00 AM

Your Man Card is in serious question.

I was thinking the same thing.  Know I jumped in late and missed some of the intros but I was pretty sure Gary was a guy...

I show that is a bunch of hot women trying to top the other women.,,   pretty good entertainment 
2011-01-08 11:35 AM
in reply to: #3282849

User image

Veteran
Georgia
BamaDC - 2011-01-06 4:00 PM Some of you posted them already, but what are your top 3 racing goals this year?

1. Run a sub 1:30 half marathon
2. Race a sub 2:20 Olympic
3. Run a sub 19 minute 5K

I should be able to do 1 and 3 by this fall.  I really need to find the pool if goal 2 is going to happen.

I would like to acheive the following in 2011:
1. Race an Olympic sub 2:30
2. Finish my first HIM
3. Stay injury free!!
2011-01-08 1:01 PM
in reply to: #3285589

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Gaarryy - 2011-01-07 5:53 PM

I was thinking the same thing.  Know I jumped in late and missed some of the intros but I was pretty sure Gary was a guy...

I show that is a bunch of hot women trying to top the other women.,,   pretty good entertainment 

At least your watching network tv and not those raunchy shows on VH1/cable.
2011-01-08 6:23 PM
in reply to: #3286683

User image

Expert
Alabama
BamaDC - 2011-01-08 1:01 PM
Gaarryy - 2011-01-07 5:53 PM

Maybe your onto something....  that's got to be better than stairing at a brick wall for 6 hours.

Ran the 10mi race today.  Stuck to my race plan and worked well.  I'm still slow, but the race plan worked well.  (start slow and don't blow up early).  Did the 10mi in 1:44:37, which isn't great, but was hoping to do 1:45 after being sick this week and not getting in the work I wanted the previous weeks.

Anyway, this leads me to my issue.  I think I may have ITBS on my left leg.  The outside of my left knee hurt a bit while running, but after I finished and walked around a bit, it got worse, hurt and was stiff.  Over the next couple of hours, it seemed to stiffen more and became a bit more painful, especially going up and down the stairs.  I iced it and elevated it for a bit, which helped some, then I took a nap and rested it, and it was a little improved after this.  When laying in bed, if I moved a certain way while I was sideways, it was VERY painful.

Anyone had experience with this?

2011-01-08 8:08 PM
in reply to: #3285589

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Gaarryy - 2011-01-07 6:53 PM

I group of women fighting for the same guy is pretty novel, I'll give you that much.  Frankly, I just don't get the basic premise behind the Bachelorette.  If I want to see a bunch of guys make follows of themselves to get the same one girl I can go to any bar. 
2011-01-08 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3287180

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
pilotzs - 2011-01-08 7:23 PM

Anyway, this leads me to my issue.  I think I may have ITBS on my left leg.  The outside of my left knee hurt a bit while running, but after I finished and walked around a bit, it got worse, hurt and was stiff.  Over the next couple of hours, it seemed to stiffen more and became a bit more painful, especially going up and down the stairs.  I iced it and elevated it for a bit, which helped some, then I took a nap and rested it, and it was a little improved after this.  When laying in bed, if I moved a certain way while I was sideways, it was VERY painful.

Anyone had experience with this?

Does the pain come on gradually as running?  Basically you feel fine at the beginning of your run but it starts bothering you half way through?  If so it sound similar to what I had last spring while biking which I self diagnosed as ITBS.  I found some stretches online and was diligent about doing them.  I was able to keep biking at moderate intensity and with the stretches it went away in a couple of weeks.  The stretches/exercises were on you tube but I can't find them right now.  I think I have them book marked on another computer so I'll check.  If I don't post the link in a day or so ping me.
2011-01-08 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3256548

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
So I'm thinking about designing my own training plan for my half marathon.  I've read Daniels' book and have been looking at several different plans and they're all pretty similar but I can't find one that I like without something I want to tweak. 

Basically what I'm thinking is,

M - easy
T - off
W - tempo
R - easy
F - off
S -  long
S - off

Off days will be swimming and/or biking.  I like using pace zones like Daniels & McMillian so I'll follow those for everything.  Based on what I've read from both of them lactate threshold (hence tempo runs) and the occasionally doing portions of your long run close to your race pace will be important for a HM.  Starting on Monday will give me 10 weeks so I need to figure out my mileage build up.  I'd also need to see how rest/fall back weeks would work.  Obviously I still have some details to work out, but what do you guys think?  Will this be a good learning experience or am I setting myself up for failure?
2011-01-09 1:04 PM

New user

Fishers, IN
You know I am a beginner when my 3 goals are:

1. To just cross the finish line at my first tri
2. Remain injury free
3. Not hurt any of my 3 children or my husband in the process of training.

So I have really enjoyed the 2 weeks since this adventure of a tri started. The runs have been harder than I thought though. My knees and feet are just plain sore. No pain but the soreness is keeping me from running more than 2 miles. I run/walk most of the time. I got fitted for some shoes so I wouldn't think that would be the issue......is it typical for feet/knees to be sore even after an easy jog? I am wondering if it's just because of this new activity I am doing on my body, so I am backing it off and building up slowly.

I know my dad has awful knees and figured I inherited this fabulous trait, but now it is really getting in the way.

And for the record, I love the bachelor talk...I know it's like all guys on this board but seriously, the Bachelor is hot and needs to keep his shirt off more...just sayin'

2011-01-09 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
BamaDC
What plan should I use for my HIM training...I did 5 olympic events and 2 sprints last year. I have to put swimming on a hold for a little while longer due to shoulder injury..Target race date 5/14/2011..Thanks

2011-01-09 5:01 PM
in reply to: #3288144

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Crazymama - 2011-01-09 2:04 PM You know I am a beginner when my 3 goals are:

2. Remain injury free

So I have really enjoyed the 2 weeks since this adventure of a tri started. The runs have been harder than I thought though. My knees and feet are just plain sore. No pain but the soreness is keeping me from running more than 2 miles. I run/walk most of the time. I got fitted for some shoes so I wouldn't think that would be the issue......is it typical for feet/knees to be sore even after an easy jog? I am wondering if it's just because of this new activity I am doing on my body, so I am backing it off and building up slowly.

I know my dad has awful knees and figured I inherited this fabulous trait, but now it is really getting in the way.

And for the record, I love the bachelor talk...I know it's like all guys on this board but seriously, the Bachelor is hot and needs to keep his shirt off more...just sayin'

Don't feel bad about your goals.  This is my second season and last year  my goal for my first race was "don't drown".  I didn't care about finishing the whole race, I just wanted to finish the swim.

What kind of knee pain do you have?  Is it during the run or after?
2011-01-09 5:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA
Crazymama - 2011-01-09 11:04 AM You know I am a beginner when my 3 goals are:

2. Remain injury free

You may want to try shortening your stride, to have your foot land more under your body (less heel striking).  Doing this helped me with pain in my arches from running.

Chris
2011-01-09 6:01 PM

User image

Master
Crazymama - 2011-01-09 1:04 PM You know I am a beginner when my 3 goals are:

2. Remain injury free

You are asking your legs to do a lot.  I imagine you haven't asked your legs to do this for a while, no?  You are going to be sore.  That's ok, as long as the pain is the right kind.  You have to build up a resistance to this type of activity.  Is the pain dull, diffuse pain after running?  Any sharp pains?   Is the pain worse the day after?

What are you doing post run to try and reduce the pain?  Have you tried self massage?  (I love The Stick, BTW).  Ice baths?  Ice baths are easily the best recovery activity I do after a hard run - fill your bath enough to cover your legs with the coldest water your house can deliver.  Soak for 10 minutes.  It sucks, but it works.  My poor testicles hate me, but my legs love me for it.

BTW, I doubt you are gong to see #3 happen.  After all this tri stuff my wife has started running and is doing the 1/2 Marathon with me in a month - she has a shot at breaking 2 hours.  And we just got her a bike.  I doubt she will ever want to do a tri, but she is enjoying the activity.  I think you'll find that you are more likely to be an inspiration to your family than a negative influence.
2011-01-09 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3288645

New user

Fishers, IN

I will definitely try shortening my stride and doing an ice bath (luckily no testicles to worry about here...lol)/massage.

I just got back from the gym and wanted to walk/run. After 20 minutes I wasn't physically tired but the balls of my feet hurt, my right knee was starting to feel numb, it just didn't feel good. I agree that I am asking a lot of my body (haven't swam in years, haven't biked in forever, but I have run.). I haven't run consistently but could easily pound out a few miles so I thought this part of the workout wouldn't be the hard one.

Could it be my new shoes?? Or is there a break in period for shoes? But knee numbness--is that typical? Uggg...what is wrong with me?

Edited by Crazymama 2011-01-09 6:52 PM
2011-01-10 4:51 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Running can do a number on your knees. It's usually just a matter of getting thru the first several months. You could try NSAIDs. I pop a handful of em from time to time. Just make sure you're not injured. There is a difference between being sore and being injured. Also, running store employees don't always put you in the right shoe.

2011-01-10 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3288736

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Crazymama - 2011-01-09 7:51 PM

I will definitely try shortening my stride and doing an ice bath (luckily no testicles to worry about here...lol)/massage.

I just got back from the gym and wanted to walk/run. After 20 minutes I wasn't physically tired but the balls of my feet hurt, my right knee was starting to feel numb, it just didn't feel good. I agree that I am asking a lot of my body (haven't swam in years, haven't biked in forever, but I have run.). I haven't run consistently but could easily pound out a few miles so I thought this part of the workout wouldn't be the hard one.

Could it be my new shoes?? Or is there a break in period for shoes? But knee numbness--is that typical? Uggg...what is wrong with me?

Sometimes I get a burning feeling (kinda like a friction rub) on the balls of my feet towards the end of a run when I get new shoes.  I would go a way after a while once they got broken in.
2011-01-10 7:53 AM

User image

Expert
Prattville, AL
Couple of thoughts... 
1. Ice baths- I switched to wearing recovery tights... seems to work for me and less anguish!
2. I got a new pair of Shimano TR70 (Thank you Bonktown) tri shoes... had them custom fit this weekend (Thank you Cahaba Cycle) and have to say... THEY ROCK... I have been wearing a pair of NorthWaves for some time and the difference was amazing!
3. While I was up in Bham... I went over to Oak Mountain Park and rode the upcoming Powerman Duathlon course... WOW... I have some work to do as that is a hilly course... I have been contemplating getting a dedicated tri bike for this season (currently ride a Trek 2.1) but after riding that course I am thinking a road bike might be a better option given the climbs... thoughts?
4. 2011 Goals
- Sub 2 hour HM next month
- Finish top 3 in AG in at least one event this year
- USAT All American Honorable Mention status
- Complete first Olympic distance
- Be competitive for ITU World Sprint Championships in Beijing (Sept- still undecided on whether I am going or not)
Scott
2011-01-10 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3289389

User image

Master
North Alabama
Oriondriver02 - 2011-01-10 7:53 AM ...
3. While I was up in Bham... I went over to Oak Mountain Park and rode the upcoming Powerman Duathlon course... WOW... I have some work to do as that is a hilly course... I have been contemplating getting a dedicated tri bike for this season (currently ride a Trek 2.1) but after riding that course I am thinking a road bike might be a better option given the climbs... thoughts?

Welcome to my playground

I ride Oak Mtn weekly. Yes it's tough, but it'll make you better. I've done it on both the road and tri. Climbing the hills is easier on the roadie just because I have smaller gears. However, the speed I get bombing the downhills is pretty fun too... It just takes some practice.

Keep at it and it'll become pretty routine. My goal is to one day run Oak Mtn loop with a minimum speed greater than 10mph. Those hills suck me down to 8ish. I've done it as fast as 18.8mph and would love to bring that up too!

If you ever look at results from Buster Britton, you'll see that the studs run 25+ out there! 
2011-01-10 1:07 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
I ride the Powerman course on my Computrainer! Nice ride.
2011-01-10 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3269611

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Subject: RE: BamaDC's Mentor Group v3.0 - OPEN
BamaDC - 2010-12-31 10:44 AM
Swank guy - 2010-12-31 6:56 AM
BamaDC - 2010-12-28 5:11 PM
Swank guy - 2010-12-28 2:38 PM If you're still open and looking to add someone from New England -- I'm the guy... originally from the South (Augusta, GA), just recently relocated from Phoenix to Boston and wanting to have a great 2011... let me know and I'll post my details.  My profile is open for viewing.

Welcome!  Have you dug out of the snow?

Hello everyone...

Yes!  Finally dug out of the snow... used a snow blower for the first time -- for those in the south it's like a tiller only throws snow instead of dirt  Laughing

I recently relocated to Boston in June of this year after living in Phx for two years.  While in Phx I had a great time training and racing.  The relo started soon after my Oceanside HIM and really set my training back.  I have recently started training again now that we are more settled and am starting to put my 2011 race schedule together now.

I miss good grits, real sweet tea, and of course BBQ!

My racing history is on Athlinks... 
http://www.athlinks.com/myResultsAdv.aspx?rid=50090268

That a good website.  Here's my link.
http://www.athlinks.com/myResultsAdv.aspx?rid=77547193

What is "Athlinks"? 

2011-01-10 3:26 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh

Mark, I knew this, but it really just hit me looking at your Athlinks site. You took a HUGE amount of time of your IM in one year. What was the secret?

2011-01-10 5:18 PM
in reply to: #3289389

User image

Master
Oriondriver02 - 2011-01-10 7:53 AM Couple of thoughts... 
1. Ice baths- I switched to wearing recovery tights... seems to work for me and less anguish!

Ice baths rule.  I could go out for another run today, in fact, thanks to taking one yesterday.  I'm not 'cause I'd end up falling on my a$$ thanks to the ice, but I feel good enough!

Scott

That course is a .  I don't have a pure tri bike, so I can't say whether one is better than another.  I can say, though, that the direction you travel in ensures you will be constantly changing gears and that the downhills are quite technical.  It is very hard to get into a consistent cadence - you are always adjusting.  And the downhills are anything but easy.

If you do Powerman beware that first right hand turn!  It is a sharp right directly after a good downhill.  During Buster Britton there was at least one wreck there (despite the multiple warnings).

Look forward to meeting you before Mercedes! 
2011-01-10 8:35 PM

User image

Master
A quick update.  No running today due to the ice.  So I searched around the house.  After a month of looking I found my bike!  Turns out it was sitting on my trainer in the basement - who knew.  Repeated Jorge's W2D1.  Managed 4 1' repeats at 310watts and then hit 375 on the last one.  That's 30w better than what I did before I laid off the bike for a month. 

WTF?  Not complaining, but I'm gonna ask Jorge about that one.
2011-01-11 7:13 AM
in reply to: #3287335

User image

Expert
Alabama
Does the pain come on gradually as running?  Basically you feel fine at the beginning of your run but it starts bothering you half way through?  If so it sound similar to what I had last spring while biking which I self diagnosed as ITBS.  I found some stretches online and was diligent about doing them.  I was able to keep biking at moderate intensity and with the stretches it went away in a couple of weeks.  The stretches/exercises were on you tube but I can't find them right now.  I think I have them book marked on another computer so I'll check.  If I don't post the link in a day or so ping me.

Yes, it comes on gradually, usually around mile 4-5.  It's more pronounced with harder/longer efforts.

I'll see what I can find on stretching.  I try to stretch, and probably do some of the recommended stretches, but I'm not diligent enough in getting them done.

I'm finding it's not as easy as swim/bike/run.  It's becoming more apparent, that stretching and strength excercises are just as important. 

So, it should be swim/bike/run/nutrition/stretch/stregthen
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Mentor Group v3.0 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37