BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-10 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3256691

Las Vegas, NV USA
Subject: RE: Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED
Forgot to check in yesterday! Did another 2 hilly miles of running. Good call on the intervals, Phat- too early to be doing those. Will probably do that within a few weeks.

Today- I'm not sure what I'm going to be able to do.... I wouldn't mind fitting in something later tonight, but my concern is, then I'm not going to be able to sleep! Input?

Also- wanted to ask everyone- what would you recommend at a great 'starter' bike? I'm doing my first Tri ever in May (a Sprint), and I obviously need a bike (been using a trainer)- so as a 'starter bike', what would you recommend or where would you recommend I look?

Thanks! 

2011-01-10 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3290588

User image

Elite
SE
thats a solid week mgalanter! nicely done. also kudos to mgma on the hilly miles. i wasnt after you on the run intervals. that was for pschriver.

im a morning work out person. I hate nights. want a glass of wine and to chill out. but if i havent done something in the day, i can force myself.

looks like we may get the full week off due to snow here. this is radical in ga. im a philly boy so its weird to not have any snow plows etc.

for the 5k puzzle, i went back into my annuls (anals? 8)) of my notebooks. i had a nice article by pete magill in the 4/2010 issue of running times on the main components to a faster 5k.
1. stride efficiency-comes from form drills and short hill repeats
2. aerobic endurance-
a. short runs up to 40 mins to aid recovery from hard workouts
b. medium 1.5-2x the duration of short runs
c. long up to 2x the medium run duration (sounds like the barryp program on slowtwitch.com).
 3 5k specific endurance-run 1x/week
this is how it progresses at 5k effort/pace:
5-10x1 mins (2min recovery)
5x2 mins
5x3 mins
4x4 mins
5x4 mins
4x5mins
5x5 mins (all with warmups and cool downs)also consider
16-20x400m with 100m jog recovery
6-8x1000m with 400m jog recovery
4. Intermediate fast-twitch endurance-2/3x/month
a consistent efforts on longhills repeats progressing as below:
8x30secs
6x60secs
8x60secs
4x90secs
6x90secs
5 versatile race pace efficiency (at 5k pace unless stated):
a track-16x200 at 3k effort
b park/trail fartlek: 8-1x 30-90 sec surges at >3k effort with jogging recovery equal to each surge
tempo runs like 2x10 mins with 2 mins jog recovery or 2x15 mins with 3 min jog recovery

i can put in more detail from the article if you cant access it, but it looked like a well rounded set of workouts to boost your 5k times. dont forget to come in light as possible with good energy stores. i can tell you, running fast in training will give you faster short course running times. im not sure with the limited time to the race that a long run does you any good.
2011-01-10 7:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
mgma8814 - 2011-01-10 12:43 PM  
Today- I'm not sure what I'm going to be able to do.... I wouldn't mind fitting in something later tonight, but my concern is, then I'm not going to be able to sleep! Input?

Also- wanted to ask everyone- what would you recommend at a great 'starter' bike? I'm doing my first Tri ever in May (a Sprint), and I obviously need a bike (been using a trainer)- so as a 'starter bike', what would you recommend or where would you recommend I look?

Thanks! 

I'm a chronic insomniac, so I try to fit everything in as early as possible, but sometimes I ride the trainer as late as 8 pm.  Some people have no issues with working out at night, but lots do. I'm with Harvey on wanting to relax and drink a glass of wine at night! Laughing

My first bike was a Scott road bike.  Mostly aluminum with a carbon fork.  I love it and still ride it sometimes.  Kinda depends on how much money you want to spend...I'm sure there will be lots of good recommendations.

I rode 19.14 miles at lunch today.  Went out to Lake Berryessa so I could hit up some hills.  It was deceptively cold (sunny but about 30) and crazy windy out.  The kind of windy that pushes me and my bike around so I skid on the road a bit.  Scary and I have a sore back and shoulders from giving my handlebars the kung fu grip.  This is one time it is not a plus to be a small person.  A short ride, but quite tough.  Nice break from the lab and the mosquitoes. 

Edited by nerdjock 2011-01-10 7:23 PM
2011-01-10 7:26 PM

User image

Elite
SE
oops forgot to answer the bike question

i have a road bike and a time trial bike. i started tris on the road bike. its more flexible so i would start with an affordable road bike at the Local bike shop that has a good rep. they usually give you a decent price and service for life which really comes in handy if you are not a wrench.

however, if you know you are heading into tri for the long haul i would consider a time trial bike from the LBS instead. you would not be cool to do group rides on it but you would be set in terms of aero benefits.
2011-01-10 7:39 PM

Las Vegas, NV USA
Thanks, guys!

Yes, I am very much a morning workout person- not to be confused with an actual morning person (which I most certainly am not). I have to really push myself to go do that in the mornings, which I can usually do as long as school doesn't start too early and I've had solid sleep.

About a bike- yes, something that's not completely awesome and astronomical in price (not yet anyway- I'll get there eventually), but just something to 'break into' tri's that would serve well until I get a really good feel for it all.

2011-01-10 7:41 PM

New user

Midwest
I am new to Triathlons
Profile:
Name: Ron
Married 24 years in May
3 kids (2 girls 1 boy)
5'8 184 lbs.. (want to get back to 165)

I've been hitting the gym for the past year doing mostly cardio
Normal work out lately.
40 minutes eliptical.. ( I like to sprint on the odd minutes.. makes it go by quicker and makes me sweat )
10 - 15 minutes on a computrized bike..
Nice bike.. (not recumbent) has a screen where you can ride different trails (streets, country, mountains)

I just started adding in swimming.. I Swam for the first time in a long time...
Swam 300 yards (all freestyle) resting everty 25 yards..

I'm either going to start Michael Pate's Total Sprint 22 week program or
20 Week Sprint - Swim Focused program.. Any thougths on which one?

My first race isn't till August.. so I got a lot of time to train..
I'd like to be 20 pounds lighter by then!

phatknot.. you said to mention that I sent you an email and you said you wanted me in the group, but you were a bit delayed due to some confusion about goodness of fit.

Anybody get any snow??? in Mo.. its been snowing all day... good thing I can go indoors to swim!

2011-01-10 9:42 PM

User image

No snow! Fairly sunny and 63 f. Thats why we pay the sunshine tax out here. Today I learned a valuable lesson: plan the swim, swim the plan. I did a little extra in the pool today and afraid I'll feel it tomorrow. ;(
2011-01-10 10:49 PM

Redlands, CA
I've had a crazy last two weeks of work.  But got a bit of training in.

This past week:
Ran 4+ miles 3x
swam 40 minutes
rode 24 miles
Basketball 2 hours

Hopefully increase that this week!

So far:
Watching the Ducks lose 3 hours
2011-01-11 6:32 AM

User image

Master
Thanks for the help.
I think the word you are looking for is "Annals" but if you want to call it "Slayers Anals" that's  your bussiness.

I think it is a little late for me to really "hammer" the speedwork, but I am really trying to work it into my schedule.

I am intrigued by the running drills. Is that skipping, high knee kicks or something else? What has worked for you?

The 5k is really not a big focus for me. It is simply a pride issue and a way gauge my progress based on last years time. My main focus is to really be in shape for Paris Island the second week of March followed by the Charleston HIM April 30th.

Today is a forced rest day due to work and snow.
2011-01-11 6:36 AM

User image

Elite
SE
Welcome to the fray rgator! Nice to see you digging in. I'm not sure which plan to advise.

If you go back through this thread, we have discussed getting a workout schedule that is consistent and works for you then fitting in the workouts to those days. Lots of great pointers on weight management were shared too. Take a look at the plans critically, and see if they will work for you. If not, keep searching. There are plenty of ways to smash a race!

Shout outs to tri4fun73 and nerdjock for outstanding work outs. Gotta be careful not to overdo it but you also don't want to underdo it. Hang in there with work grety75t!

2011 is an interesting year for so many of us and I love hearing what you all are doing and thinking. We are off again due to the snow and no snow plows or gritters. Ga. is really at a stand still right now. I will be back in the slayer dungeon for my long run on the treadmill today and for the forseeable future. There was a mention that the pool was possibly going to open, but I don't think I could drive the stinking 6 miles back and forth due to icy roads. Thankfully I have a treadmill, trainer, and a bit of weight lifting equipment down in the pain cave.

Let me know if you have any more questions or thoughts. I think we should start talking about our SBR (swim-bike-run) strengths and weaknesses a bit more in depth if you have a chance to check in.
2011-01-11 6:48 AM
in reply to: #3291741

User image

Elite
SE
Haha, yeah I was playing on words there. You have to be a bit anal to be in this sport.

When i was with a running coach,. he used to have me do lots of plyometrics like on the end of the dvd called Evolution Running (Ken merke) via velopress. You can probably get it pretty cheap now as its about 3-4 years old. We did high knees, back kicks, lots of leg swinging things, striders with good form, skipping, and the key to me was the foundational timed longer hill repeats.

He had this long gradual incline trail-based hill (.5 mi) that we ran up and down so many times that I got to memorize every crevice, but my times dropped dramatically. Key for any kind of repeats is keeping track of how your times improve.

I also have had the same personal trainer for 5-6 years now and have used him a lot more frequently in the past. He always had me doing squats, lunges, and various one legged movements like dead lifts on one leg to build leg strength. I think the strength coming from those and the hill repeats gave the speed work a nice place to bind to, but again I am no exercise physiologist.

2011-01-11 6:53 AM

User image

Master
I can offer a little advice about the bike question considering I have have bought and sold about 10 bikes over the last couple of years. E-bay has been really good to me. I started with a pair of low-end road bikes but ended up buying a used tri-bike prior to my first triathlon. My wife bought a new tri-bike prior to the same race. She still rides the road bike a lot and only uses the tri-bike to race. She could race the road bike with no problem but just prefers the bling factor of the tri-bike. I sold my low-end road bike but the resale value is really low. I bought a high-end road bike and tri-bike was planning to sell my original tri-bike. I was actually offer more for the bike than I originally paid.

My advice,

1. Make sure you know your size and the bike fits.
2. Make sure you get everything you need to ride the bike included in the price. Pedals, speedometer and water bottle cages can up the price quickly.
3. Buy new and expect a loss at the time of selling, or get something you a willing to keep for a long time. Buy used and you can use the bike for a while and sometimes recoup most of the purchase price when you resale.
2011-01-11 7:19 AM
in reply to: #3291765

User image

Elite
SE
^^^great advice if you are handy, somewhat knowledgeable, and a good shopper! there are great deals to be had on the used bike market if you are the aforementioned.

just tagging along the above, bike fits are usually done by a proper bike fitter, often at a local bike shop. I highly recommend a bike fitting before and after purchase to prevent injuries due to poor fit.

recognize the manufacturer warranty is often rendered void if you buy used.

2011-01-11 8:23 AM

User image

Master
I credit the Evolution in Running video in helping me go from 30' 5k times down to 25'. Getting down to the 23-24  or lower is going to be much tougher.
2011-01-11 12:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
i was looking at a pair of ultegra pedals on for approx $120 USD.
either 670 or 6700
(difference seems to be minimal-- apart from the colour & the $3 in cost...)

PLENTY of pedal options out there...
but this is my 1st road bike & 1st set of clips... i'm hoping for both to be user friendly and last for a LOOOONG as possible...

(maybe it's unfair for me to say-- since i have NO grounds for comparison-- but are the shimano pedals easier to use than look??)
2011-01-11 12:48 PM

Extreme Veteran
apart from that.... i'm on track with my workouts this week!
last night's master's swim kicked my butt
& i've got a 7k run planned for after work
followed- ideally- by a solid night's sleep & hopefully a reasonable commute to work in the morning!

i hope this snowstorm they're forecasting for this evening misses Toronto.... Undecided

2011-01-11 3:02 PM

User image

Elite
SE
good job nicruns! I have always used speedplay pedals. i cant really say about those kind.

check me out going for a swim on a dare today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjBVLlMvl4M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

are you a slayer?

(januaryswim.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
januaryswim.jpg (58KB - 10 downloads)
2011-01-11 4:32 PM
in reply to: #3293056

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
That's a fantastic swim photo Slayer.  I can't believe you have snow on the ground in Georgia. At least the gators will be sluggish.

2011-01-11 4:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Harvey: You get the crazy bastard of the day award!  That's a big deal in my world and a highly sought-after honor Cool
2011-01-11 5:20 PM

User image

Slayer!! You are insane!!! Love that photo!!! What did you win in the bet??

We've had some turmoil Down Under in the last few days. No snow here (of course), but my fellow Aussies up North are battling major river flooding as well as flash flooding. It's all that's on TV and it's heartbreaking.
They are describing what happened in Toowomba as an "inland instant tsunami". And Towoomba is 700m above sea level (2300 feet)!!!! It's fricken' scary stuff and was all I could think about yesterday.

None-the-less, I got out yesterday for a run to try to clear my head. Heart wasn't really in it, it was a battle ... and despite the music, all I could think about were those horrific images I've seen. But I did my time and logged the run in my legs. It's money in the bank ... even though it's just a few cents!!!

Oh, and to good news among all this pain: I've lost 2.5kg over the last couple of weeks!!! Er, I'll convert that from metric ... 5.5 pounds!!!

Hope everyone's week is going well. Got anymore "carayzee" photos Slayer??!!!!

Em
2011-01-11 5:48 PM
in reply to: #3293396

User image

Elite
SE
dang im bigtime! crazy bastard of the day award

nice weight loss Em. sorry to hear about the tsunami. that stuff is whacked. hope damages were limited.

hows everyone's weight loss going?

2011-01-11 8:16 PM

User image

So Phat what did ya get for that? I recall swimming in our pool in the dead of winter for some of my wives almond bars! I'll do anything for those things. Some issues at home, but managed to get a short 2 mile run in. Regarding weight loss, stoked to be in the 180's now!
2011-01-11 8:32 PM
in reply to: #3293660

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Good BRIC workout today - rode on spin bike 1:15 and ran 30min @ 7.5mph.

2011-01-11 9:21 PM

New user

Midwest
Finally quit snowing here... now the temps are dropping..
Suppose to be -2 degrees tonight.. with a wind chill in the -20's...
All the schools are closing for tomorrow already due to the extreme cold weather.

I decided on doing the Michael's Pate's Total Sprint 22 week program..
Day one was yesterday.. Day two was today...

So today I did 45 minutes on eliptical.. was a good workout.. the odd minutes I sprinted.. .
I then did 3 miles on a bike.. (the 22 week program only called for 2 miles but that seems like nothing so I did 3)..

I'm thinking the biking and running won't be the problem come time for the triathlon..
The swimming. (which is tomorrows training) has me a little worried.. I have a LONG way to go
towards getting ready for swimming...

2011-01-11 9:34 PM
in reply to: #3293760

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
rgator - 2011-01-11 7:21 PM   I'm thinking the biking and running won't be the problem come time for the triathlon.. The swimming. (which is tomorrows training) has me a little worried.. I have a LONG way to go towards getting ready for swimming...

Swimming is always my problem area, too.  A good masters team or a few lessons will go a long way.  It's shocking how much you will improve.  Don Fink (a triathlete and coach who wrote Be Ironfit) said something that made me feel much better.  Here is my paraphrased version: Swimming is a technique sport, like golf.  If you have the endurance to run and bike, you have the endurance to swim.  I tell myself this all the time.  In fact, I'm starting swim lessons next week...so you and I can commiserate together Laughing  Once, I doggy paddled most of a HIM swim.  No joke.  We all start somewhere...

Today I did a 33 minute bike/16 minute run brick.  I planned on swimming after work, but had a crazy lab day, so I didn't fit it in...but did expend some energy killing mosquitoes.  Bad, bad, bad.  Tomorrow.

Regarding weight loss: I've lost a few.  Jeans are loose.  Feeling pretty dam sexy Kiss 

Edited by nerdjock 2011-01-11 9:35 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38