BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-02-06 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3341846

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go!
squirt - 2011-02-06 5:09 PM

Taking the day off to hit the mental reset button.  Been kinda bummed about this past week's poor and missed workouts.  But then it dawned on me that I was a little ahead on my 1/2 training plan until this week anyway.  So I'll call it my cutback week and pick up tomorrow leaving the past where it belongs.

Hey, those mental reset days can be an important part of your training in the overall scheme of things! Enjoy your cutback week!

2011-02-07 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3269333

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Subject: RE: jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go!

It's been a difficult few weeks dealing with snow removal, my training has been derailed several times in lieu of shoveling for endless hours.  Come On SPRING!!!! 

I'm starting a triathlon swimming program at the YMCA tomorrow morning, I really hope it helps.  Yesterday I was watching a woman swimming two lanes over and she was so unbelievably fast, not just at freestyle but the butterfly and back stroke.  I tried to see what she was doing differently, what magic she possessed – nothing.  It’s all about hydrodynamics and efficiency.  I understand the concepts, but my execution has flaws where as she was the example of those thousands of little thing done correctly.  Proper rotation, head alignment, reach, elbows high, hand angle into the water, not crossing over the centerline with the stroke, efficient kick, glide, reach, grab, pull, recover, etc, etc.

The bike training has suffered the most, partly because I’ve been really trying to get the swimming down, and that I have been running for the winter 5k events.  Yesterday was finally a beautiful weather day and a 5k run up a pretty good size hill for charity (run up to Eastrock Park in New Haven).  I managed a 23:06 which was over 5.5 minutes better than last years time, so that was reassuring that I’m headed in the right direction.

At least with the biking I did scout out a nice 27 mile ride to work for Spring, once the snow banks disappear – then I’ll have a 54 mile route to ride twice a week instead of the Espresso stationary bike or spin bikes.

How’s everyone else weathering the winter?  Are people signing up for events???

2011-02-07 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3338797

User image

New user

Saint-Germain-en-Laye
Subject: RE:My training week
I have an 8 year old King Charles Spaniel.  He jogs pretty well for an ageing guy, and he has always been in pretty good shape.  Still, he would prefer retrieving sticks to following me around in circles in the forest.  Those beagles follow their nose. 

We visited Le Mont, and because my husband insisted on staying on the Mont, we were able to walk all over the ramparts at night.  Dinner was a protien fest for me, as my "entree" or appitiser was a seafood platter, and was full of crab, oyster, shrimp, cockels, bullots ( no clue what to call them in english ) langostines (crayfish?) and the teeny shrimp.  I asked the waitress what to to with the teeny shrimp, and she said some French eat the whole thing, and some just eat the tails.  I tried both, and decided that I didn't like the stringy crunch of the antennas. 

We drove home via the Normandy D Day beaches.  The American Cemetary has a new visitor center with very nice multimedia exhibits.  My tax dollars at work.

Oh, I ran today.
2011-02-07 6:37 PM

User image

New user
Thanks for the positive replies everyone.  Today is the Monday after the Superbowl and last night was really late for me.  I fought the voice in my head and got up at 4am and hit the treadmill.  My Tri will be here before I know it.  TJCIN
2011-02-07 9:43 PM
in reply to: #3342774

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington
cobratodd - 2011-02-07 9:32 AM

I've signed up for a few events starting around the end of May and into summer.  Unfortunately the epic winter weather of Minnesota means that I will have minimal time to actually prepare with some open water swimming and outdoor biking.  I am hoping training like a mad man for a sprint tri will make my transition to actual racing better.  Any ideas or tips on how to set up the stationary bikes or treadmills for an easier transition to outdoor training?

Marcus
2011-02-08 5:26 AM
in reply to: #3342774

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
cobratodd - 2011-02-07 10:32 AM

It's been a difficult few weeks dealing with snow removal, my training has been derailed several times in lieu of shoveling for endless hours.  Come On SPRING!!!! 

I'm starting a triathlon swimming program at the YMCA tomorrow morning, I really hope it helps.  Yesterday I was watching a woman swimming two lanes over and she was so unbelievably fast, not just at freestyle but the butterfly and back stroke.  I tried to see what she was doing differently, what magic she possessed – nothing.  It’s all about hydrodynamics and efficiency.  I understand the concepts, but my execution has flaws where as she was the example of those thousands of little thing done correctly.  Proper rotation, head alignment, reach, elbows high, hand angle into the water, not crossing over the centerline with the stroke, efficient kick, glide, reach, grab, pull, recover, etc, etc.

The bike training has suffered the most, partly because I’ve been really trying to get the swimming down, and that I have been running for the winter 5k events.  Yesterday was finally a beautiful weather day and a 5k run up a pretty good size hill for charity (run up to Eastrock Park in New Haven).  I managed a 23:06 which was over 5.5 minutes better than last years time, so that was reassuring that I’m headed in the right direction.

At least with the biking I did scout out a nice 27 mile ride to work for Spring, once the snow banks disappear – then I’ll have a 54 mile route to ride twice a week instead of the Espresso stationary bike or spin bikes.

Ugh - I know! It HAS been a challenging winter! We all deserve to give ourselves a pat on the back for getting whatever any training in this winter! That triathlon swimming program sounds interesting - let us know how it goes!

2011-02-08 5:30 AM
in reply to: #3343341

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE:My training week
red_sailor - 2011-02-07 2:24 PM

I have an 8 year old King Charles Spaniel.  He jogs pretty well for an ageing guy, and he has always been in pretty good shape.  Still, he would prefer retrieving sticks to following me around in circles in the forest.  Those beagles follow their nose. 

We visited Le Mont, and because my husband insisted on staying on the Mont, we were able to walk all over the ramparts at night.  Dinner was a protien fest for me, as my "entree" or appitiser was a seafood platter, and was full of crab, oyster, shrimp, cockels, bullots ( no clue what to call them in english ) langostines (crayfish?) and the teeny shrimp.  I asked the waitress what to to with the teeny shrimp, and she said some French eat the whole thing, and some just eat the tails.  I tried both, and decided that I didn't like the stringy crunch of the antennas.

ewww!!!

We drove home via the Normandy D Day beaches.  The American Cemetary has a new visitor center with very nice multimedia exhibits.  My tax dollars at work.

Oh, I ran today.

Sounds like you're having a great time! Enjoy!
2011-02-08 5:32 AM
in reply to: #3343985

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
tjcin - 2011-02-07 7:37 PM

Thanks for the positive replies everyone.  Today is the Monday after the Superbowl and last night was really late for me.  I fought the voice in my head and got up at 4am and hit the treadmill.  My Tri will be here before I know it.  TJCIN

Way to go! Honestly, I'm not sure that if I had to get up at 4am to train that it would happen.... I have so much respect for folks like you who have to commitment to drag yourselves out of bed that early and make it happen! Keep up the good work!
2011-02-08 6:07 AM
in reply to: #3344233

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
mn_av8or - 2011-02-07 10:43 PM

cobratodd - 2011-02-07 9:32 AM

I've signed up for a few events starting around the end of May and into summer.  Unfortunately the epic winter weather of Minnesota means that I will have minimal time to actually prepare with some open water swimming and outdoor biking.  I am hoping training like a mad man for a sprint tri will make my transition to actual racing better.  Any ideas or tips on how to set up the stationary bikes or treadmills for an easier transition to outdoor training?

Marcus

You can only do what you can do.... I actually really enjoy running outdoors when it's cold out. If you dress properly, it's not a problem. If you have access to some roads or sidewalks that are cleared enough of snow, try to get some outdoor running in if you can. Biking is a little more tricky (at least in my mind) if there is snow/ice around. I'm pretty confident on the bike, but I don't like riding on the road when the shoulder is still covered with snow, and any little patch that looks wet might in fact be icy... If the roads are cleared enough, I'll ride outdoors in temps down to about 25 degrees. Any colder than that is too cold for me!

As for indoor training, some people suggest setting the treadmill with a slight incline (0.5 - 1%) to better mimic road running. I don't typically do that myself, but you could give it a try. For stationary biking - what kind of bikes do you have access to? The best option would be to use "spinner" type bikes, and try to set up your position as closely as possible to your own bike set-up. This will give you the best simulated road riding.... The electronic lifestyle-type bikes you often find on gym floors don't match "real" bike geometry very well, so they won't give as much training benefit as the spinners, but if it's all you have access to, it's better than nothing! If you're pretty sure you're going to stick with triathlon, you could also consider investing in an indoor bike trainer like one of these, that way you can train indoors on your own bike!
2011-02-08 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3344372

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Adding to my above post.... the hardest part of running outdoors in winter for me is taking the first step out the door.... once I get going, I'm fine, but I'm sitting here right now in my running tights and looking out the window -- and it just LOOKS cold out there! Don't worry... I'll get my butt out the door and do that run. Just may take a few more minutes of psyching up for it!
2011-02-08 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Good workouts and consistency going on I see.  And Red, sounds like a wonderful tour you had (except the crunchy antennas...ick!).  After last week of unprecedented ice/snow/deep freeze here in TX, I have so much more respect for those of you who live in colder climates find ways to get it done in the winter.

I'm not cutting back this week....just calling last week the cutback week since it happened anyway .  Using Hal Higdon's novice plan, so it's pretty low mileage peaking out at (hopefully) 10 mile long run this weekend.  My friend is struggling with a knee problem, so she's not sure of her status for the Cowtown half on 2/27.  We have done this one together the past two years, and stick together.  Usually I'm the slower gimpier one, so may be my turn to help her through.  Got in 5 miles outside yesterday, 3 on tap for today, and a swim tomorrow (more ice and snow on the way).  Yeeehaw!

2011-02-08 9:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Masters Swim Tri Clinic @ the YMCA:

Feed back on my first day in the clinic and it went well.  I arrived early (5:15) and before the class actually got started, I was able to warm up with about 500 yards of freestyle.   Overall it was enlightening to be in a swim group like that.  Having three people to a lane was an experience.  I was in the middle as far as ability, so that felt pretty good, like I could learn quite a bit. 

I was very disappointed though in that there was NO instruction at all.  Basically all we did was swim laps, and that’s why I didn’t join the Masters swim again this year – they only swim laps with no feedback as to what you do correctly or incorrectly.  It's more of a structure swim with someone telling you to do X, Y, Z. 

We started off doing a block of 3x100 freestyle, 2x100 pull, 1x100 kick - two times. 

The big surprise was that since I re-started after 20+ years, the only stroke that I have been doing is Freestyle until today.  We did an IM (Intermediate medley) 4 sets of 200 yards - each made up of 25 freestyle, 25 backstroke, 25 breast stroke, 25 freestyle, 25 freestyle, 25 backstroke, 25 breast stroke, 25 freestyle. 

I’d recommend this to anyone if they have an opportunity to do so.  All together the morning swim was 3,000 yards, no instruction, but great swimming with piers to keep you going.  Also the first “full-contact” swimming since last years tri’s thanks to 3 people per lane – I forgot what it was like to get swatted by another swimmer when you are focusing on stroke, breathing, etc. 

2011-02-08 10:27 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Well.... so much for my sage advice about how running outside in the cold isn't so bad..... When I took that first step outside the door this morning, there was a "wintery mix" falling from the sky, so I decided to bag the outdoor run and head for the gym. Five miles on the dreadmill.... Now it's sunny out. Guess I shoulda waited!!
2011-02-08 10:30 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hi gang.  I'm back home know, but picked up a minor cold with all of the relatives and such, yay.  Back at altitude again means 7-10 days of sucky workouts even without the cold.  It would be nice to sleep for 24 hours or so, but I am back at work now and much to do.  I did get in that 18 mile run and it was meh soso.  I got in 40 miles on the trainer and 2500 yards swimming.  The swim was long and I am still soo slow.  I topped out at 100 yards at 2:00/100 pace.  Mostly my swiming is around 2:15-2:05/100.  The left shoulder is still a bit funky at times, but at least I can swim.  Strength and flexibility will come in time.  I still stretch it every night. 

So I am at 43 miles run, 60 biked and 4000 swum for February.  I am thankful for a recovery week this week while I get used to the elevation once again.  And plan on sleeping lots.  Although all a recovery week really means is that the long run is shorter. 

Glad to hear everyone is keeping up with their training.  I like the two piece tri suit for using the restroom.  Fingers get surprisingly unagile when cold or when your body is so very tired.  The fewer things I have move or unfasten when I really need to go, the better. 

My most winter run this year was 16 miles in 5 F and some snow and ice.  My water froze after 5 minutes 8(.  Oh well, I don't need much water this time of year. 

Edited by Baowolf 2011-02-08 10:32 AM
2011-02-08 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3344910

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
jsnowash - 2011-02-08 10:27 AM Well.... so much for my sage advice about how running outside in the cold isn't so bad..... When I took that first step outside the door this morning, there was a "wintery mix" falling from the sky, so I decided to bag the outdoor run and head for the gym. Five miles on the dreadmill.... Now it's sunny out. Guess I shoulda waited!!

Way to get it done!  Yes, cold can be dealt with.  Wet and cold or slippery and cold....not so much.  "Wintry mix" is a cussword in my book lately.  In the forecast here tomorrow too, so good day for a swim.
2011-02-08 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3344519

User image

Las Vegas
Now I don't feel as guilty knowing that you experts deal with the dread of getting started out the door to run.  I had that problem yesterday and nowI ned to do a run AND a bike today to get on track.

Your posts and updates are so very important to many - you have no idea!

Mike

2011-02-08 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3344807

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
cobratodd - 2011-02-08 10:55 AM

Masters Swim Tri Clinic @ the YMCA:

Feed back on my first day in the clinic and it went well.  I arrived early (5:15) and before the class actually got started, I was able to warm up with about 500 yards of freestyle.   Overall it was enlightening to be in a swim group like that.  Having three people to a lane was an experience.  I was in the middle as far as ability, so that felt pretty good, like I could learn quite a bit. 

I was very disappointed though in that there was NO instruction at all.  Basically all we did was swim laps, and that’s why I didn’t join the Masters swim again this year – they only swim laps with no feedback as to what you do correctly or incorrectly.  It's more of a structure swim with someone telling you to do X, Y, Z. 

We started off doing a block of 3x100 freestyle, 2x100 pull, 1x100 kick - two times. 

The big surprise was that since I re-started after 20+ years, the only stroke that I have been doing is Freestyle until today.  We did an IM (Intermediate medley) 4 sets of 200 yards - each made up of 25 freestyle, 25 backstroke, 25 breast stroke, 25 freestyle, 25 freestyle, 25 backstroke, 25 breast stroke, 25 freestyle. 

I’d recommend this to anyone if they have an opportunity to do so.  All together the morning swim was 3,000 yards, no instruction, but great swimming with piers to keep you going.  Also the first “full-contact” swimming since last years tri’s thanks to 3 people per lane – I forgot what it was like to get swatted by another swimmer when you are focusing on stroke, breathing, etc. 

I guess I would have been disappointed too.... I've swum (swam??) with other Master's groups where there was no real coach, just a posted workout to follow, and you're right - it's great to have other folks to swim with! But the Masters program I participated in wasn't advertised as a "clinic". To me, clinic implies some sort of instruction.... Did you have to pay to participate in this program? I'm also a little surprised they would include 800 yards of IM in a triathlon swim workout! I would think they would focus on freestyle. Glad you enjoyed it, though! 3000 yards is a nice swim workout! Been a while since I've done a swim workout that long.... in fact, I'm just kinda getting myself back in the pool after taking some time off from swimming. Luckily for me, swimming seems to "come back" the easiest for me....
2011-02-08 11:52 AM

User image

I have a question, I am following the balanced training program from the book triathloning for ordinary mortals, in it we only have two swim days a week, I added an extra since the beginning because I thought I needed more and also I do Crossfit everyday at 5:00 a.m. just because I like it!
My swimming is getting better but I am worried because I only have 9 more wks to go, should I add more swimming days?

Ana
2011-02-08 1:52 PM
in reply to: #3345135

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Ana

Wow, 9 weeks to go!!!  Lucky you, that means the weather where you are is much better than here, since I suspect I'll still be looking at snow banks by then. 

If your swim workouts are in the neighborhood of 20 laps (down and back being a lap) or more, then you have the distance covered.  The key to a tri swim is the experience of swimming with 100 others, all at the same time, and in open water.  I only have 1.5 years experience at this, so I recently lived through the "beginning".  Last year I swam 2 days a week and did okay at many sprints.  Prior to that I swam 20 years ago.  On a priority basis I would list the following:
1)  Being able to deal with open water and being comfortable enough while doing it. (the chop, the wind, poor visibility, sighting off landmarks on the horizon)
2)  Same thing with having a swarm of other swimmers all around you - some going slower and you swim up on them, others swimming faster and having them swim up on you.  Stay to one side if necessary or let others go - the energy you save avoiding the swarm will more than make up for any time savings fighting the battle.
3)  Covering the distance - doesn't have to be all at once, you can stop and tread water as much as you like, switch strokes, or even float.  Just be okay with not touching bottom for 20 minutes (Sprint) and keep plugging away at it.  Be confident that you covered the distance while training over, and over, and over.
4)  If wearing a wetsuit - try swimming in the suit - totally different feeling, for me it was impossible to breathe - better to find out now, than at the last minute.  Also try unzipping it as you jog (up from the water to T1).

Wear the goggle strap under the cap in case the goggles get bumped off your face, they will still be on your head.

With 9 weeks left, you should have tried or are doing "brick" workouts where you go right from a bike ride to a run; adjusting the speed and intensity of how hard you are pushing (or not) toward the end of the bike so that your legs and heart are ready to run.  Your heart rate should be a little lower than your areobic limit (180-your age) so that it has room to speed up due to the demands of running.  Sounds pretty technical, but it's not - just try a brick if you haven't and you will see if you are pushing too hard at the end of the bike.  adjust as necessary to "relax" a tiny bit to get your heart rate down before you hit the second transition.

I hope there is something in what I wrote that will help.  Best of luck.
2011-02-08 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3345428

User image

Todd
Thank you so much!
I haven't done any brick workouts since this training program didn't have any, I have done swimming running and swimming biking (but not immediately after because I have to drive from the pool to my house to get on the bike or tu run.  In this brick workout should I bike the 13 miles and run the 3.2 miles?

I do more than 20 laps but not without stopping Embarassed I was able to do it with the fins but without the fins I can only do like 4 and then I have to stop for a minute and 4 again until I do the time that the training guide says that is why I am so worried and was thinking of adding more swimming workouts? 

I haven't bought my wetsuit yet but I am going to start looking for one this weekend because I do want to train with it, I have also been trying to find out if I can go before to practice open water, I am not sure yet if it is open and if I can go any day, apparently in the past they have had open water clinics in the same location as the tri but I havent found anything for this year I will keep looking and asking cause I wouldl really like to try it before the day! 

wearing the strap under the cap is a great tip! thank you

2011-02-08 5:41 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
A mass swim start with 2500 athletes in 2 foot wind waves is soo much fun, that was last summer's tri.  Although a couple hundred is way more manageable, it takes a little getting used to. 

It is good to break your swimming up into sets of 100, 200, 400, 200 100 or whatever, but also it is good to just find an easy pace once a week or once every other week and just do the distance of your race without stopping.  You will find that if you can't stop... you can go farther than you think you can.  Part of it is mental.  You may need to slow your pace down, but you should be able to go the distance you are going to race by the time you are a month out.  (something to work on).  Swimming 2 days a week = you can slowly build endurance, but not really build speed.  If you swim 3 days a week you can slowly build both.  Typically only swim more than 3 days a week in the off season if they are swim focused and then do like 5x swim, 2x bike 2 x run per week.  Like I am now run focused so 5x run 2x bike 2x swim per week until after the mary, then I will drop my run by 60 miles a month and double my bike and swim 8). 

To really get the feel of a brick, you need to transition as quickly as you can from bike to run.  You can do a run brick after any bike distance, even like 120 miles.  The run does not have to be particularly far, so if your bike is 15 miles and your run is 2 miles, that is fine.  Your bike could be 50 miles and your run 6.   The idea is not to kill yourself on the bike or the run, but to pace both and get your body used to running off the bike.  You don't have to do a swim to bike brick as that transition is not a big deal.  Once you do solid bike to run brick you will know what we are talking about.  Bricking from a tri bike to run is not as bad as from a road bike, but it still feels like the doctor shot your butt with novacane for the first half to a mile and a half. 

Another important thing to think about is how much if any water/calories are you going to eat during the race.  If the race is going to take you 90 minutes and it is not going to be hot you only really need a bit of water on the bike, with maybe a gel or just use gator aid instead of water on the bike.  If you are going to be out there 2-3 hours... then you need more fluids and nutrition.  After an hour I go 300-350 calories per hour on the bike, 200-250 calories per hour on the run. 

The thing to avoid is drinking too much later on the bike or on the run.  I typically drink 4 oz of water per mile on the run.  Any more and I get soggy and side cramps.  If it is cool I may drink half of that and go 4 oz per every other mile.  If it is hot (85F +) I just more more water on my head and my shirt to regulate my temperature.  Trying to drink more cold water to regulate your temparture makes you soggy and side crampy. 

2011-02-08 5:43 PM
in reply to: #3345587

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Ana,Keep it simple at first, go for a 6 mile ride then see how effeciently you can transition to running shoes and a 1 mile run. You'll know in the first1/8 mile if your heart rate was too high at the end of the bike. It's really an experience to live. I'm bad at running and even worse at swimming, so I always pushed really hard on the bike, right to the end, thn I'd try and run and my legs wouldn't go. It was frightening!!!One last thing to try, pick a day, say in 4 weeks to do a complete sprint on your own. No timers, but just trying the whole deal. Try the transitions, make note of thirst and energy. Honestly, on a sprint, you should be okay without fueling too much, if at all. If you can complete it in 1:40 or less, just water may do it. The important thing to remember is that your body can't process much while running, so if you are going to drink, do so 2 miles or so before the end of the bike, then a quick sip to wet your whistle before the run, if needed. I see people eating all kinds off stuff at sprints and I can't help but to think it works against them. Eat properly before the race and you can make it through.
2011-02-09 5:49 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Ana,

Good advice from Todd & Steve. As for adding extra swim days to your training, I would say that if you have the time and it won't impact your other training, there's absolutely no harm in adding an extra swim session per week! When you get your wetsuit, make sure you get in a few practice swims in wearing it, even if they have to be in the pool (I always feel like such a dork showing up to the indoor pool, that's kept at something like 82 degrees, in a wetsuit....). I always find that my shoulders are a bit sore after my first few swims in a wetsuit, so I definitely find it helpful to get a few practice sessions in. If you wear it in the pool, make sure you rinse it out really well when you're done.

You'll probably find that swimming will be a bit easier in the wetsuit because it gives you a lot more bouyancy than you have without it. If you have any pull bouys at the pool where you swim, try doing a few laps using one. The pull bouy will give your legs some added bouyancy, and will sort of mimic what the wetsuit does for you. I am NOT suggesting in any way that you use the pull bouy as a crutch, but just to get an idea of what swimming with a little added lift feels like. Use it for a few laps during each workout, but no more than that.

If you can get some open water swim practice in, that would be helpful too. Make sure you do it safely, though. If possible, go to an open water swim location with a lifeguard, but at a bare minimum, go with some friends.

It sounds like you're doing great! I'm confident that you'll get through the swim of your first triathlon just fine. Keep in mind that if you need to, it's okay to stop and tread water to catch your breath for a few seconds. If you need to do that, just try to do it off to the side a bit where you won't impede the progress other swimmers.

Keep up the good work!!
2011-02-09 11:06 AM

User image

Thank you Todd, Steve and Jenny,
I will be adding a swim workout today and will do the brick on Saturday,
Ana
2011-02-09 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3346363

User image

Las Vegas
Last night was my second pool workout - which was much better than my first last week.   After reading alot of your comments, I decided to do my whole 20 min workout (except the warmup and cooldown) with one of those pull bouys.  It looked like a dumbell made out of foam.  I figured that the bike and the run are so focuused on the legs and the swim mostly on the arms that this wouldn't hurt to always do it this way. What do you think?

After a few laps I started the bilateral breathing - which is really tough for me once I get tired.

I seriously felt my arms workin and I started to sweat!  It was a great feeling! I can remember the high school days when we did such incredible swim workouts that we would be sweating and sometimes puking while in cool water  a real trip!

Once I got out of the pool my biceps and a little of my triceps felt so much bigger and stronger.  Awesome!  Even today I still feel stronger but not weak.

Today I'm headin out for a 35 min bike.

Mike

Thanx for your awesome wisdom and advice!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go! Rss Feed  

of 23