BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2011-01-21 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3313411

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: RE: Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED
jamiej - 2011-01-21 9:07 AM ALL: Any objections to letting one more into the group (nuttysami123)? I know I closed it earlier and don't want to p.o. anybody by letting one more in. I don't mind, if you don't. Jamie

A little more estrogen would probably serve this group well. No problem on my end.

I'm taking the day off today since I've been working crazy hours the last few months on a proposal. Lots of errands to run but I'm also looking forward to getting in a good bike, or run, or both.

I dropped 5 seconds off my 100m intervals at the pool last night. I was panting on the wall but still made all my splits okay. 10 x 100's on 1:50. Hoping to drop to 1:45's within another few weeks!

2011-01-21 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3271048

User image

New user
I have no problem adding another IN person to the mix...but I have to asked based on your location if your a Boilermaker or not...

2011-01-21 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3313663

User image

Extreme Veteran
JBougher - 2011-01-21 2:28 PM I have no problem adding another IN person to the mix...but I have to asked based on your location if your a Boilermaker or not...

Oh, but I am a Boilermaker!! In fact Purdue helps pay the bills! I work at the Vet School at Purdue! Thank goodness, because I get to swim in a world-class facility and work out in a super-affordable, fairly ok place! In fact I just got back from a run on the indoor track.
2011-01-21 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3313666

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Welcome Samantha!

2011-01-21 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3313474

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
RVachon - 2011-01-21 12:27 PM

diamondgirl1973 - 2011-01-21 12:19 PM Bike question.  I read alot about people wanting to have the lightest gear possible in order to be faster.  I'm not out for speed.  Doesn't it make more sense to throw a bulkier saddle on your bike that increases comfort during the ride rather than to use these hard little things that end up wreaking havoc on your privates?  We mountain biked for 4 days in Aruba, and on day three, they had to bring me a new bike because mine wasn't shifting properly.  The new bike had a different saddle (bigger and softer).  The difference in comfort was so profound that we all fought over who got to ride the new bike on the last day.

BTW, am I really the only woman in this group?  Was there a female only HIM/IM group that I missed or is it really that rare for a woman to do these events?

Jennifer

Jennifer - The weight difference between saddles will be irrelevant especially when it comes to comfort.  Being comfortable on the bike will ensure you get through the ride pain-free and be ready for the run.   Last year I used a hybrid bike with aerobars and road tires.  The bike weighed in at almost 28 lbs but I was comfortable and still did really good bike splits..usually top 20 overall.

X2 on this. Weight matters VERY little in TT bikes. Aero trumps weight. Get whichever allows you to ride in the aero position more of the time.
jamie
2011-01-21 12:51 PM

User image

I don't have aero bars.  I don't think I am even close to being ready to ride with them yet.  When I bought the Cannondale, it was my first time ever riding a bike that required clipping in.  Baby steps, baby steps.

Sam, thanks for adding some Girl Power to this group.  Being in the Navy, I am used to being in male dominated settings, but it never hurts to have a good woman to back you up. 

I officially start the 20 wk HIM training plan on Jan 30.  But until then, I think I am going to through in some P90X workouts, especially the Chest and Back one.  I need the upper body strength to get more speed out of my swims.  Can't wait for it to warm up enough to try swimming in Lake Michigan.  So far, all my swimming has been indoors.  Need to start feeling what it is like to do a long distance, open water swim.

JJ

2011-01-21 2:58 PM
in reply to: #3313411

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
jamiej - 2011-01-21 12:07 PM ALL: Any objections to letting one more into the group (nuttysami123)? I know I closed it earlier and don't want to p.o. anybody by letting one more in. I don't mind, if you don't. Jamie

The more the merrier!!  Welcome Sam!
2011-01-21 5:07 PM

User image

Windsor, ON
Despite the weather I managed to get out for a 50 minute run after work.  Kept within my HR range and puttered along at my new pace.

Tomorrow is a long ride on the trainer then a swim.  At least it will be warm.
2011-01-21 5:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
nuttysami123 - 2011-01-21 10:59 AM Jennifer- if the group will have me, then I'm also female and we can represent!

Welcome to the group!

I feel like I should be posting *something* indicating progress so here goes.

Today I only coughed for 15 minutes after waking up. I've only taken one thera-flu, but will probably go for a 2nd before bedtime.

haha...yah, I've got cold round two. At least I'm getting them all out of the way early. I figure I've got to be able to laugh about it or it'll be miserable.  If I'm feeling up to it, I'm going to do hot yoga on Monday. Keep your fingers crossed for me. 

I'm going to find myself a good trainer tire for my tri bike this weekend. Anyone have recommendations?

Brien
2011-01-21 5:40 PM
in reply to: #3314308

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
syscrash - 2011-01-21 6:24 PM

nuttysami123 - 2011-01-21 10:59 AM Jennifer- if the group will have me, then I'm also female and we can represent!

Welcome to the group!

Today I only coughed for 15 minutes after waking up. I've only taken one thera-flu, but will probably go for a 2nd before bedtime.

haha...yah, I've got cold round two. At least I'm getting them all out of the way early. I figure I've got to be able to laugh about it or it'll be miserable.  If I'm feeling up to it, I'm going to do hot yoga on Monday. Keep your fingers crossed for me. 

I'm going to find myself a good trainer tire for my tri bike this weekend. Anyone have recommendations?

Brien

I'm pretty sure those little humans you are holding in your arms are perfect germ spreaders!
2011-01-21 5:42 PM
in reply to: #3314277

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Danrl88 - 2011-01-21 6:07 PM

Despite the weather I managed to get out for a 50 minute run after work.  Kept within my HR range and puttered along at my new pace.

Tomorrow is a long ride on the trainer then a swim.  At least it will be warm.

Yeesh. Freezing in Indy. No way I was running today. What's the over/under on this maffetone thing lasting until spring?

Jamie

2011-01-21 7:03 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
syscrash - 2011-01-21 6:24 PM

Welcome to the group!

I love my Kurt Kinetic Road Machine.  Through two full seasons, it's been bullet proof.  I think it might have a lifetime guarantee against the fluid cylinder leaking which seems to be the problem with some of the others.

Hope you get better soon!

Edited by Jeepguy2358 2011-01-21 7:04 PM
2011-01-21 7:14 PM
in reply to: #3314333

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
Got a 22 mile ride on the spin bike and then followed it up with a 3.1mile run.

Welcome Sam!

Cold....Cold....Cold right thru the weekend so I will be inside.  Need a long run on sunday but might switch it out for a little indoor tri since my longest run on the dreadmill is 5 miles or so....

2011-01-21 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3313666

User image

New user
nuttysami123 - 2011-01-21 12:31 PM
JBougher - 2011-01-21 2:28 PM I have no problem adding another IN person to the mix...but I have to asked based on your location if your a Boilermaker or not...

Oh, but I am a Boilermaker!! In fact Purdue helps pay the bills! I work at the Vet School at Purdue! Thank goodness, because I get to swim in a world-class facility and work out in a super-affordable, fairly ok place! In fact I just got back from a run on the indoor track.

Boiler Up!  I am originally from the Fort...and a grad of good ol' PU!  I spent way too much time in the bowels of those places when I was on the Crew team there...hoping to get down there next football season to see the new boathouse.

Welcome again!
2011-01-21 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks everyone for welcoming me! Looking forward to being in what seems to be a great group!! Got my ride in tonight on the trainer. Week7 Day 4 of Jorge's plan.. phew... 
2011-01-21 11:25 PM
in reply to: #3312712

User image

Yeah, this is the same advice I've been given by some other high-performer triathletes I know.  Since winter training in Vegas is the best time here, I love this March tri I'm training for, and this winter I've focused on the bike more than normal, and I think it's helping.  Just gotta get the body to believe in a higher cruising speed.

2011-01-21 11:33 PM
in reply to: #3312972

User image

I have a buddy who has let me try his Adamo Race saddle a few times.  I love the extra space in "that" area, as you call it.  It was much better after I installed it correctly.  The first ride I mounted it so that the top of the seat was parallel with the ground, and it was very uncomfortable.  The guy at the bike shop told me the correct way is to make it so the mounting bars underneath are parallel with the ground.  This will actually tilt the top of the saddle slightly forward.  This made a huge difference.

If you're one of those riders who gets pain on the pubic arch, the independent suspension of the Adamo Race is much better.
2011-01-21 11:40 PM
in reply to: #3313661

User image

Nice work on the swim.  I've become a little too comfortable with the 100's on the 2:00, so the coach at my gym's swim class keeps trying to get me to go to 1:50.  I think I'm going to stick with the 2:00 and increase to 15 intervals, then I'll try dropping it to 1:50 for 10x.
2011-01-21 11:43 PM
in reply to: #3313452

User image

The other thing to remember is that we do this FOR FUN, so unless you're trying to shave every last gram off your ride because that could squeak you into a qualifying time, I can't see why people torture themselves.  Just my 2c.
2011-01-21 11:56 PM

User image

Subject: Sorry to rub it in
I know I'm going to be hated for even saying this, but I have to say, I so love living in Las Vegas.  My 8 mile run today was in 60* clear skies...tee shirt and shorts.  You all can repay me in July when you're lovin' it and I'm getting up at 3:30 so I can run in 93* trying to get my run in before it hits 95.  It's not possible to carry enough water for those runs/rides.

Anyway, this week got messed up for me because of work travel but I'm hoping today and tomorrow's workouts will salvage it a little.  I tried to do this 8.12 mile route I have today in 1 hr or less.  Missed it by 10 seconds.  Probably dumb to push it like that at this point, but it was a fun little challenge to keep it interesting.
2011-01-22 3:34 AM
in reply to: #3314771

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Subject: RE: Sorry to rub it in
clewis38 - 2011-01-22 12:56 AM

I know I'm going to be hated for even saying this, but I have to say, I so love living in Las Vegas.  My 8 mile run today was in 60* clear skies...tee shirt and shorts.  You all can repay me in July when you're lovin' it and I'm getting up at 3:30 so I can run in 93* trying to get my run in before it hits 95.  It's not possible to carry enough water for those runs/rides.

Anyway, this week got messed up for me because of work travel but I'm hoping today and tomorrow's workouts will salvage it a little.  I tried to do this 8.12 mile route I have today in 1 hr or less.  Missed it by 10 seconds.  Probably dumb to push it like that at this point, but it was a fun little challenge to keep it interesting.

You're right. I hate you for saying that! It was -2 here yesterday. Sux. Good advice on positioning of the Adamo. Same goes for the Cobb.

I'm going to try to get in a 1 hr interval session on the bike today followed by a 6 mile run.

jamie

2011-01-22 3:36 AM
in reply to: #3314461

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
wallico - 2011-01-21 8:14 PM

Got a 22 mile ride on the spin bike and then followed it up with a 3.1mile run.

Welcome Sam!

Cold....Cold....Cold right thru the weekend so I will be inside.  Need a long run on sunday but might switch it out for a little indoor tri since my longest run on the dreadmill is 5 miles or so....

Nice job Wally. I hate that dreadmill. I can easily do 6hrs on the trainer without even thinking about it but more than 30 minutes on the dreadmill and I have to get off.

Jamie
2011-01-22 3:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis

Brien

Usually just an old tire will work just fine. You will tear them up pretty quickly on the trainer. After I burned through all of my old beater tires laying around I got a dedicated trainer tire:

http://www.amazon.com/Continental-Trainer-Folding-Bicycle-700x23/dp...

But be warned, they are a real bear to mount. I got one of these that works really well:

http://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tire-Bead-Jack/dp/B001AYML7K/ref=sr...

That thing is awesome even for regular tires. It's too big to carry in a race but it is invaluable to mount new tires for the first time when they are the most difficult to mount. Your thumbs will thank you. You'll need that thing every time for the trainer tire. The conti trainer tire is made of a different material and is not supposed to be used on the road.

You should be able to find the trainer tire at a good shop. I never had any luck finding the tire jack so I ordered it online through amazon I think. I really recommend for everybody to pick one up. It's cheap and really useful.

Also, X10 on the rec for a KK road machine. I have 2 of them and use them extensively. Great customer service and the best ride you'll get on a trainer. It is worth the $. I've had 3 other cheapie trainers in the past and those things are usually night and day compared to KK road machine.

Jamie

Edited by jamiej 2011-01-22 3:49 AM
2011-01-22 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3314332

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
I'm pretty sure those little humans you are holding in your arms are perfect germ spreaders!

They are just helping me beef up my immune system by catching stuff, incubating it to make it stronger, then passing it on lol 

I feel decent today. Let's just hope somehow I still fee decent after I have to work 10p - 4a tonight. This trend at work should go back to once/month after this week at work (if not, I'm leaving), so that will certainly help. I'm way too old to be pulling all-nighters.

Thanks for the recommendation on the tire bead jack. While I do need some practice changing tires, it sounds like the trainer tire is not the place for it haha.  I'll definitely be ordering that today. I just hope I'm able to get my back wheel back on. yeah,I'm that much of a newb, but hey I gotta learn eventually and better now than at mile 100 in AZ next year

Edited by syscrash 2011-01-22 9:23 AM
2011-01-22 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Bike/run done for the day. FTP test tomorrow.

I was thinking on the bike today that one thing the entire group can do together is to commit to train in the aero position >90-95% of the time. For those of us indoors on the trainer this is really, really easy. My routine for years now is to do the entire workout, no matter if its 60 mins or 6hrs, in the aero position. I sit/stand/stretch for 30 seconds at :15 and :45 past the hour. At the top and bottom of each hour I allow myself to sit/stand/stretch for 60 seconds. I realize that on the road this is hit or miss but on the trainer there really are no excuses.

Training yourself to generate the power and be (semi) comfortable in aero for hours is one of the easiest ways to gain free speed on the bike. It also teaches you a few things about your bike setup, your saddle and your flexibility. Start by doing 25% of your time in aero and then work up to the point where >90% of your time is in aero by mid-Feb. That would be a great goal. If you ride roadie w/o bars then stay in the drops.

Be certain to grip the aero bars lightly just like you would on the road. Don't lay your hands on top. For those of you riding straight extension you might be surprised at how much strain gripping those things puts on your wrists, lats and lower back.

For those of you training with power, you need to be doing all of your testing in aero as well. Interval does NOT mean sit up to generate more power. You need to adapt to generate that power in aero position.

Sound good?

Jamie
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40