BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay's HIM & IM focused Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2011-02-18 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3282504

User image

Regular
Grand Blanc, MI
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay's HIM & IM focused Group - CLOSED
Weekend plans:
Saturday: 10 mile run outside, yea!
Sunday: 2 hr Spinerval dvd, ribs or pulled pork on the Weber, low and slow!!

Have a great weekend all.

2011-02-18 10:08 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago
Weekend Plans:

- easy 3mi run
- waking up 3x/night for my daughter
2011-02-18 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
Snowboarding on Saturday with my son (or should I say "attempt" at snowboarding).  My son on his first day of snowboarding was already hitting the black diamonds and already attempting 360's off jumps.  Meanwhile I continued to struggle on the intermediate hill.  It's not fair.  I envisioned snowboarding helping me to develop core strength, but it's hard to do when I keep face planting in the snow. <--<  I will bring my ski's too so I can spend time with him on the bigger hills.  I've got the boys with me this weekend and I can't wait.  Probably hit a movie tonight and eat steak or prime rib somewhere.
Fri night run
Swim Sat AM
Not sure if day of rest will be Sun or Mon, all depends on what my boys want to do.  On one of those days I need to do a long ride.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!  Jim

2011-02-18 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3361605

User image

Expert
Short ride Saturday morning before work. Probably on the trainer depending on the weather.

On Sunday there is a local 5K that I will run in. I have a 9 mile run planned, so I will make the race part of that and not really race it. It is the last of our runner's club Winter series and I don't want to miss it because there will be food!

Anthony
2011-02-18 2:22 PM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
Hey Guys!!!

Been away awhile! Sorry I havent posted. Plan on a 6-8 mile run on Saturday morning, then a ride pulling my daughter in her trailer Saturday afternoon. I will follow it up with a decently long swim on Sunday afternoon.

My training partner has bailed on every workout over the last couple of weeks, so it looks like im on my own now!

Oh well no worries. I hope everyone has a great weekend!

By the way....the weather has been 80 degreees the last couple of days in Texas!
2011-02-20 6:15 PM
in reply to: #3362116

Veteran
Chicago
Wish it was in the 80's here, but oh well, thats what you get for living in Chicago!  I've taken the past week off to give my leg a rest and I am itching to get back into the thick of it!  I have a question though....When i work out, my body is not sore the next day, or I should say, not so bad where it hurts like hell.  But with being off for the past 5 days, my body feels like it has been to hell in back, sore legs, muscle cramps in my hamstrings, calves cramping.  Anyone know why or is it my body telling me get your back to work?

2011-02-21 11:40 AM

User image

Expert

Sunday became a full day of rest so did not get long bike ride in.  Back to work today so may not be able to make it up.  Think it was the right thing to do because I needed a break anyway.  Had a good short ride this morning and felt much better, more energetic.
I'm in the middle of my work day and I look forward to times like this when I can temporarily get away from all the illnesses I take care of and think of other things like triathlons.  Not sure what life would be like if I didn't have this diversion from my work.  I continually am grateful for having the ability to participate in this sport.  OK, enuf of the mushy stuff.
I would like to throw out to the group what others do when they miss a long session (yest was supposed to be a 3.5 hour bike).  Since my race is still 14 weeks away, I'm not too concerned as long as I stick to the rest of my plan as best I can.  I may add a little on to some of my midweek rides, but wonder if this is necessary?   
Other than that all is well.  Started using the protein shakes and have noticed a bit of a difference with my midnight snacking.  I mix the chocolate powder with milk, tastes pretty good...so far.
Hope everyone is doing well.  Jim

2011-02-21 12:42 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
had an amazing run last night in a thunderstorm of sleet and 30 degress.  awesome time!

I feel like the hibernating bear (er...athlete) is slowly awakening....

glad i signed up for the back to back marathons this year...gives me a little sense of purpose but not too much that it will cause any riff with family life this year.
2011-02-21 9:37 PM

User image

Elgin, Ok
Been away for a while. Winter storm knocked me off my training plan. Ran my first triathlon of the season yesterday. It was a sprint indoor triathlon. 300 swim (5:20) 8 mile bike (24:40) and 3 mile swim (25:35). Total 55:35. My goal was under 50 min. I was right on pace with my swim and bike but really wanted a 19 or 20 on the run. It was good to get back into competition. Now on to training for a marathon in May.
2011-02-22 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3364329

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
scubadiver68 - 2011-02-20 7:15 PM Wish it was in the 80's here, but oh well, thats what you get for living in Chicago!  I've taken the past week off to give my leg a rest and I am itching to get back into the thick of it!  I have a question though....When i work out, my body is not sore the next day, or I should say, not so bad where it hurts like hell.  But with being off for the past 5 days, my body feels like it has been to hell in back, sore legs, muscle cramps in my hamstrings, calves cramping.  Anyone know why or is it my body telling me get your back to work?

Hopefully the rest did your leg some good!  Not usually accompanied by the cramping, but I often feel a bit more achey and lethargic after taking an exptended break.  The good news is that I am usually able to shake that feeling off after just one or two workouts and then feel reenergized.  Hope it works out that way for you!
2011-02-22 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3365247

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
jimmyb - 2011-02-21 12:40 PM

Sunday became a full day of rest so did not get long bike ride in.  Back to work today so may not be able to make it up.  Think it was the right thing to do because I needed a break anyway.  Had a good short ride this morning and felt much better, more energetic.
I'm in the middle of my work day and I look forward to times like this when I can temporarily get away from all the illnesses I take care of and think of other things like triathlons.  Not sure what life would be like if I didn't have this diversion from my work.  I continually am grateful for having the ability to participate in this sport.  OK, enuf of the mushy stuff.
I would like to throw out to the group what others do when they miss a long session (yest was supposed to be a 3.5 hour bike).  Since my race is still 14 weeks away, I'm not too concerned as long as I stick to the rest of my plan as best I can.  I may add a little on to some of my midweek rides, but wonder if this is necessary?   
Other than that all is well.  Started using the protein shakes and have noticed a bit of a difference with my midnight snacking.  I mix the chocolate powder with milk, tastes pretty good...so far.
Hope everyone is doing well.  Jim

I do try not to miss too many long sessions during the 'thick' of long course training and sometimes I will try to make it up somewhat (add to other workouts or do it on a different day and maybe drop a 'lesser' workout session from the plan).  But, as long as those misses don't become habitual, one workout isn't going to make or break your race day and it's probably best to let it go and focus on executing the plan in front of you.

2011-02-24 6:05 AM

User image

Expert
Busy week full of 13-14 hour work days.  Find myself shuffling workouts and having to focus more on bike as it is readily available in my living room.  Plus ski trip this weekend so will try to focus more on running on the hotel treadmill.  Certainly not ideal but doing what I can to at least keep the volume up when work/personal life interfere with one another.  I do believe I am getting better overall fitness and am seeing gains on my performance. 
Hope everyone is getting good training in as spring is soon to be upon us! 
2011-02-24 7:25 AM
in reply to: #3369868

User image

Elite
Chicago
jimmyb - 2011-02-24 6:05 AM Busy week full of 13-14 hour work days.  Find myself shuffling workouts and having to focus more on bike as it is readily available in my living room.  Plus ski trip this weekend so will try to focus more on running on the hotel treadmill.  Certainly not ideal but doing what I can to at least keep the volume up when work/personal life interfere with one another.  I do believe I am getting better overall fitness and am seeing gains on my performance. 

Nice job JB.  Something is better than nothing and consistency is better that being sporadic.  Looks like you're doing a great job of juggling and staying consistent too.  Good for you and keep it up.
2011-02-24 10:03 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
jimmyb - 2011-02-24 7:05 AM Busy week full of 13-14 hour work days.  Find myself shuffling workouts and having to focus more on bike as it is readily available in my living room.  Plus ski trip this weekend so will try to focus more on running on the hotel treadmill.  Certainly not ideal but doing what I can to at least keep the volume up when work/personal life interfere with one another.  I do believe I am getting better overall fitness and am seeing gains on my performance. 

Yep, nice job.

Spring can't get here soon enough!  Another snow shoveling earlier this week for me.  I really don't need the weather to make it tougher to get my workouts done.  Wasn't able to do much this past weekend and will be somewhat limited again this weekend (hopefully some kind of ride & run on Sat, but little chance for anything on Sunday).  Doing my best during the week, but I'm going to need some free time and some decent outdoor riding weather on the weekends soon.
2011-02-24 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
jimmyb - 2011-02-24 7:05 AM Busy week full of 13-14 hour work days.  Find myself shuffling workouts and having to focus more on bike as it is readily available in my living room.  Plus ski trip this weekend so will try to focus more on running on the hotel treadmill.  Certainly not ideal but doing what I can to at least keep the volume up when work/personal life interfere with one another.  I do believe I am getting better overall fitness and am seeing gains on my performance. 

Definitely a good job. It's gotta be tough with an always changing schedule like that. I wish I had more time to train, but at least my schedule is always the same so I can plan ahead.

2011-02-24 3:01 PM
in reply to: #3371092

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Yeah, as busy as my schedule can get sometimes, it's also fairly predictable.  So, for the most part, I can get a pretty good routine going and just have to juggle now and then. Nothing like for those that have varying (and crazy) work schedules to deal with.

2011-02-24 3:26 PM
in reply to: #3370336

User image

Expert
JohnnyKay - 2011-02-24 11:03 AM

Spring can't get here soon enough!  Another snow shoveling earlier this week for me.  I really don't need the weather to make it tougher to get my workouts done.  Wasn't able to do much this past weekend and will be somewhat limited again this weekend (hopefully some kind of ride & run on Sat, but little chance for anything on Sunday).  Doing my best during the week, but I'm going to need some free time and some decent outdoor riding weather on the weekends soon.

I am ready for spring, as well. After a 60 degree day last week we are back to winter with snow followed by single digit temps in the morning. I like the cold weather running, but it sure would be nice to run in shorts or go for a ride outside.

2011-02-25 9:41 AM

User image

Regular
Grand Blanc, MI
Ride outside? What's that?
2011-02-26 9:19 PM

User image

Expert
Perfect Winter Day:

Winter ski conference at a ski resort in the morning.  2 hours on the treadmill immediately afterward.  Out to the slopes for snowboard lesson followed by a few more hours of learning this sport.  Awesome dinner with my son then off to the hotel pool for hot tub and swimming in the outdoor heated pool (small pool) with heavy snow falling and outside temp 10-15 degrees.  I was determined to get this swim done and am so glad I did it.  Sometimes I will go to extreme lengths to get my training sessions done.  Back home tomorrow and have a long ride planned.  Did not get to do long ride last weekend so feel this is an extremely important one for me to get done.  Looking at my monthly totals I am falling short a bit but am happy with how much I could do with the tough month at work.  Next month is going to be lots easier and I look forward to a solid month of training.
2011-02-27 2:10 AM

User image

My everybody - 
I've been training inconsistent lately - busy work and dad in hospital.  
Been doing about 1 run, 1 bike, 1 swim per week but at least something.

Plan to start a 12 week oly plan soon.
I have a local group that does saturday rides and sunday runs that I plan to join up with next week.
Peter

2011-02-27 7:35 AM

User image

Regular
Grand Blanc, MI
Jim - you lucky dog....where you skiing/boarding, up north or out west? How's the snow?

2011-02-27 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Snowboarding at Shanty Creek Resort near Traverse City.  Need to leave soon so I can get home but I love it here.  Oh how I wish I could have just one more day........
I have a question for the runners:

I typically train with my runs in the 9 ish minute range and feel like its a pretty good pace for me.  Last Spring I ran a 25K (Grand Rapids Riverbank Run) and was surprised to see I ran it at an 8:04 min pace.  I understand adrenaline can kick in for the first part of the race but was amazed to see I could maintain it for the entire race.  My question is what others find to be the difference between training runs (at what I though was race pace), versus runs in a race.  Perhaps I need to run more often with groups as I always perform better than alone.  Could it be I'm not pushing hard enough in training?  This is my first year using heart rate monitoring so I will better be able to see whats going on with my body.  However, basing my performance on RPE it seems almost the same.
2011-02-28 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3374044

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Pschaff - 2011-02-27 3:10 AM My everybody - 
I've been training inconsistent lately - busy work and dad in hospital.  
Been doing about 1 run, 1 bike, 1 swim per week but at least something.

Plan to start a 12 week oly plan soon.
I have a local group that does saturday rides and sunday runs that I plan to join up with next week.
Peter

Very sorry to hear about your Dad.  I hope he is doing alright. 
2011-02-28 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3374351

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
jimmyb - 2011-02-27 1:43 PM Snowboarding at Shanty Creek Resort near Traverse City.  Need to leave soon so I can get home but I love it here.  Oh how I wish I could have just one more day........
I have a question for the runners:

I typically train with my runs in the 9 ish minute range and feel like its a pretty good pace for me.  Last Spring I ran a 25K (Grand Rapids Riverbank Run) and was surprised to see I ran it at an 8:04 min pace.  I understand adrenaline can kick in for the first part of the race but was amazed to see I could maintain it for the entire race.  My question is what others find to be the difference between training runs (at what I though was race pace), versus runs in a race.  Perhaps I need to run more often with groups as I always perform better than alone.  Could it be I'm not pushing hard enough in training?  This is my first year using heart rate monitoring so I will better be able to see whats going on with my body.  However, basing my performance on RPE it seems almost the same.

I rarely run at race pace (unless you count IM race pace, since that turns out to be quite near my typical easy training paces).  Generally, doing lots of easy running (ties back into the run frequency we've discussed a couple times earlier) is one of the better ways to safely build running endurance and durability.

That said, sometimes running harder is good too.  You can do it alone in training, in a training group, or just by racing (enter local 5k & 10k races).  It's almost always easier to push harder in a group or race where you have some added incentive.

It's more difficult to say what you might have experienced.  Could have been the course, conditions, etc. in addition to the group-effect.  It's best to take your (recent) open running race paces and use those to figure out what kind of training paces are appropriate.  You can use a running calculator like McMillan's to do this.  Looking at your 25k time, it would indicate that you do want to do a lot of your training in the "9-ish" area.
2011-02-28 8:36 PM

User image

Expert
February's totals:
Bike:19h 37m  - 353.1 Mi
Run:15h 17m  - 99.49 Mi
Swim:5h 14m 30s  - 15150 Yd

OK so that's my month.  I appreciate any and all feedback.  Right away I know I need to do more swimming.  I did fall a bit short of my plan but considering the demands of the month I did the best I could.  I also substituted some days for skiing, snowboarding etc which were not included in the total but still valuable in terms of strength building, endurance and core.  Next month is going to be much lighter in terms of work and I will be able to focus more on my training.  I am definitely feeling the gains.  Jim

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay's HIM & IM focused Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 13