BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay's HIM & IM focused Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2011-01-06 12:55 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: JohnnyKay's HIM & IM focused Group - CLOSED

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Ready to go

NAME: JohnnyKay (John)

STORY: As a 35yo who had been only intermittently active since college, I decided I needed a goal to get me off the couch on a more permanent basis and lose some weight that had gradually crept onto my body.  Had rowed competitively in HS & college, but that seemed hard to fit into my life at that stage.  Never really swam, biked or ran, so triathlon was the obvious choice.  6+ years later and I am still hooked.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 15+ years to a beautiful and supportive wife with 3 active kids (11, 9 & 7yo--boy, girl, girl)

CURRENT TRAINING: Focusing on bike & run through the winter.  Only swimming when I have some spare time (not vey often).  I train in the early am regularly and (while currently below) target about 8-12 hrs/wk most of the time.

RACE HISTORY: Ran the Boston Marathon last year and a "lighter" tri schedule than usual--EagleMan 70.3 and Philly Tri (olympic).  Did a Tough Mudder rtun for fun this past November.  I have completed 2 IMs (IMLP and a non-mDot), 3 marathons, a handful of HIM and assorted other shorter races.

2011 RACES:  Probably another lighter racing year for me.  Focus right now is to prepare for a long course duathlon (American Zofingen)--5mi run/84mi bike/15mi run--in May.  Hopefully some shorter distance tris in the summer, with a slight chance of a half-iron later in the season.  Hoping to return to IM in 2012 or 2013.

WEIGHTLOSS: I dropped about 25lbs during the first year I started triathlons (6+ years ago) and have generally maintained that weight since then.  Weight loss is not a current focus of mine, though from a purely "performance" standpoint I could easily drop 10 more.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have spent a fair amount of time learning about training for endurance sports.  And have enough experience in putting them to work and watching others do so to help kick-start anyone's learning process.  Regardless of your goals, I believe I can help you focus on what to worry about.  And, often more importantly, what not to worry about.  I have also gotten pretty good at figuring out how to fit triathlon into a busy life where it is not the top priority (but where I am still serious about doing as well as possible).  Finally, while I believe I can offer pretty sound advice, you should note that I am "Not a Coach". 

Finally, while I was originally planning to do an "all-comers" group, I have been told there was pretty heavy demand for groups with a long-course focus.  So that's how we'll start out.  That should help get a group with lots of similar issues that we can help one another out with.  And it should also help stimulate motivating one another, either through this thread or through Inspires in the training logs.  If there turns out to be a lack of long course demand, I will re-open to all levels of racing and experience.

Edited by JohnnyKay 2011-01-27 7:47 AM

2011-01-06 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3282504

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-01-20 9:33 AM

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: JohnnyKay's HIM & IM focused Group - OPEN
I know you can find this from the quicklist on the main page, but just giving this an initial bump so people can see it on the first page.
2011-01-20 10:18 AM

New user

Count me in.  I'll follow up with a short bio later in the day.

Thanks,
John
2011-01-21 12:20 PM

New user

I'd like to join your group.  Training for marathon (May 1st), Liberty Triathlon HIM (June 11th) and assorted tris this summer.
2011-01-21 12:31 PM

Expert

Hey John, I would like to join your group if possible.

NAME: amschrod/Anthony

FAMILY STATUS: I am 52, I have been married for 23 years, and we have 3 children: son 22, daughter 21, and a son 14.

STORY: In January 2006, after running and entering local road races for several years, I decided I would give triathlon a shot.  Fortunately, I found BT where I have learned an awful lot about triathlon, and I have met some great people, both online and in real life.  I have also been a mentor twice, and had a lot of fun mentoring and seeing people in my groups do some great things. I have completed a bunch of sprints, olys and dus, and 5 HIM's. I may not be very fast, but I really enjoy training and racing.

I have been surprised that I have been able to get a little better each year. I thought that since I was over 50 I would hit a plateau. I have a goal this year of setting an HIM PR by going under 6 hours. I managed to go a little under 6:06 at the Toughman HIM last year, and that is a fairly challenging race, so I believe my goal is reachable with some smart and hard work.

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now my training is run focused for a March half mary. My running has been great because I really like running in the cold weather which we have had plenty of here in the lower Hudson Valley. Unfortunately my cycling and swimming have been nonexistent, so I could use a little kick in the backside.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: 2010 was a great season for me. 2 du's,  2 sprints, 1 oly and 1 HIM. I PR'ed at both HIM and OLY.

2011 RACES: I am happy to see you are doing the American Zofingen long course, John. I am nowhere near a good enough athlete to do that, but I will be doing the AZ Short Course for the 5th year in a row. It is one of my all time favorite events. I have also signed up for The Survival of the Shawangunks. I have not decided which HIM I will enter yet, but it will probably be Musselman since I have done it before, it's a great race, and I have some BT buddies who are doing it. Once I decide which HIM, I will complete the rest of my schedule which should have 2 more tri's, probably both oly's.

WEIGHTLOSS: Losing weight is not a focus for me, but it would probably help my running to lose 5 lbs, but those last few pounds are tough. I try to stick to a mostly whole foods diet.

Anthony

2011-01-21 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3313632

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Alright!  There's 3 of us now. 

Hopefully we will add some more over the weekend and into next week so we get a good group together to help encourage and share ideas/thoughts.  I would ask that each of you (and those that follow), write a quick "bio" when you have some time.  You can use the format I have in mine or just write a short paragraph or two about yourself, your plans for the season and your goals.  Your "real" first name would be nice too.

Also, if you are not doing so already, I think it would be good if everyone used the BT logs at least while the group is active (i.e., over the next few months).  This will make it easier to answer training questions, offer suggestions and provide encouragement with the group (through "Inspires" that you can leave for others on their log each day).  You can set the logs to "semi-private" if you wish.  In that case, only people you allow (by making them "Friends") can see them.  If you choose that route, I would hope that you will add everyone in our group as a "friend" (again, at least for the duration that the group is active).  My logs are public, but I will add each person who joins anyway.

Finally, if you don't automatically receive e-mails about threads you post in, you may want to "subscribe" to this thread by hitting "Toggle e-mail notification" at the lower right of the page.  That way you'll be reminded to see what's happening here.
2011-01-21 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3313669

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Great, Anthony!  Now we are 4.  And you are ahead of me on all my suggestions. 
2011-01-21 12:45 PM

Would love to join.
Started Tri's 3 years ago.
Last year did my first Half - IMRI and I am training for IMLP in July.

2011-01-21 1:04 PM

Regular
Grand Blanc, MI
Hi John, I'd like to join your group also. Looks like just what I need.

NAME: NoleRunner (John), Florida St. grad, hence the "Nole Runner"

FAMILY: 43 yr old, married, 3 daughers (10, 8, 7)

STORY: Starting my 3rd yr of tris. HS football/basketball/track until a back injury cancelled scholarships. Began running again 4 yrs ago, have since done 2 marathons, multiple 1/2's, etc. Struggled w/ IT band injury for 2 yrs and finally had surgery last March. Since then, no IT problems at all! Finished Rev3 Half last September, albeit with a SLOW run. Now have the bug to complete my first FULL this fall at Cedar Point. Swimming is actually my strongest with bike/run equally bad with each other. My mental toughness is pathetic, hence me wanting to join a "support" group.

CURRENT TRAINING: Being in Michigan, I'm spending 3-4 days a week on my trainer and the same on the treadmill. Make it outside occasionally for runs of 8-10 miles. Swimming once a week, if possible. Gonna spend the next 3 months focusing on bike/run, doing a lot of Spinnerval DVD's.

2011 RACES: HIM in June, some sprints/10k/road races throughout summer, Rev3 Full in September.

I'm really looking for some coaching, advice, guidance, motivation as I tackle the FULL distance this year.

Thanks!
John
2011-01-21 5:25 PM

New user

NAME: John

STORY: About three ago, I went climbing with my wife up Mt. Whitney for our 10th anniversary.  I was too out of shape to make it to the top.  It concerned me because I thought I was in relatively decent shape until then.  A few months later, I signed up for a 2009 LA Marathon training program (LA Road Runners).  The training was excellent and I've enjoyed running ever since.  Tri's seemed like a natural progression.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 12+ years with two boys, ages 8 and 9.

CURRENT TRAINING: Focusing mostly on run with a little bike tossed in for variation.  Will start swimming shortly.

RACE HISTORY: LA Marathon in 2009 (wife ran it in 2010).  A few half marathons last year and a couple smaller 10K's including the Camp Pendleton mud runs (they're a blast).

2011 RACES:  Another LA Marathon in March, a short mud run in June, San Francisco 1/2 or full (undecided) in July, and the Arizona IM in November.  Note: This is my third year for the NY lottery--I'm praying I can hold off another year as the AZ IM and NY Marathon are within weeks of one another.

WEIGHT LOSS: Always a good idea.  Dropping 30 wouldn't kill me.  I've been a lot more careful about what I eat after runs, which is making a huge difference.

Edited by teamssj 2011-01-22 2:49 PM

2011-01-22 6:52 PM

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane

NAME: Félix

STORY: Just turned 38. Getting back to tri's after a three-year break after focusing on ultramarathons for a while. BT'er since 2004. Currently injured (cuboid syndrome, adductor strain) but almost done with treatment and have been biking and swimming this month. Expected to start running again in early February, according to my physician. Currently living in Venezuela.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to another athlete for 3 years. No kids.

CURRENT TRAINING: Focusing mostly on fun stuff. Trying to MTB a couple of times a week, road ride twice a week, swim two or three times a week, tennis three times a week, strength train twice a week and kayak twice a month. Have plenty of time for training, but locations are scarce (for safety reasons, but that's another story).

RACE HISTORY: In spite of actively racing over the last 7 to 8 years, I am STILL very slow and have lots of room for improvement in all triathlon disciplines. Have completed two non-Mdot IM's, 3 HIM's, 4 ultramarathons and several adventure races. My dream race is Speight's Coast to Coast in New Zealand!

2011 RACES:  MTB race in March, short kayak meets in March and late June; 80km mountain ultramarathon in August; but my "A" race is a HIM in mid-June. Would like to swim under 40 min., ride under 2:50 and run in less than 2hrs. 5:30-5:40 would be a good goal for me. My HIM PB is 5:55 (MiamiMan 2007).

WEIGHT LOSS: A tough area for me. Could definitely get rid of a couple of kilos. 

2011-01-22 8:03 PM

Veteran
Chicago
Hi, is this group still open?  I am still not to sure what to do if anything for a mentor group.

WHEN CAN YOU START MENTORING CONSISTENTLY: Ready to go

NAME: Wally

STORY:
I am 42 years old reigning from the Chicagoland area.  I just started doing triathlons last year.  I did the Chicago half marathon a couple of years ago, then injuries plagued me.  Knee surgery after the half.  Just after recovering from that and getting back to it, hernia surgery, which took me longer to recover than expected.  I kept getting these letters from Team in Training about joining them for training (i.e marathons, half marathons, triathlons).  Well.....my wife was out of town for work and I was bored one night so I decided to go to one of there local meetings to see what it was all about and ended up walking out of that room that night signed up for the Chicago Triathlon!  The event was fantastic, I met a lot of great people, I loved the training and being focused.  I decided this year to up it.  I am signed up for Leons world fastest triathlon in June and Steelhead half ironman in August.

FAMILY STATUS: Seperated. Was married for 8 years.  Been seperated for 6 mos now.  No children, just my Jack Russel Terrier Bailey, he is our kid.  May sound funny but we do joint custody of him LOL.  I get him on the weekends.  I know it sounds lame but he is our child.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently using BT gold winter program.  But starting Monday starting to up the work outs a bit to train for Leons until the twenty week program starts for Steelhead.

RACE HISTORY: Did the Chicago Half Marathon in 2007, Chicago Triathlon in 2010.

2011 RACES:  Leons world fastest triathlon in June, Warrior Dash in June and Steelhead HIM in August

WEIGHTLOSS: I dropped about 15 pounds last year training, but with a hip injury after the Chicago Tri, had to lay off training for a few months.  Looking forward to losing it all again and maybe more, have a goal weight of 190lbs by June 5.

Edited by scubadiver68 2011-01-22 8:14 PM
2011-01-23 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3313709

Not a Coach
Media, PA
joefio - 2011-01-21 1:45 PM Would love to join.
Started Tri's 3 years ago.
Last year did my first Half - IMRI and I am training for IMLP in July.

Welcome, Joe(?)!
2011-01-23 5:12 PM
in reply to: #3313765

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Welcome, John!

We'll do our best to offer you some support in reaching your goal.  Looks like you have a nice support team at home, too. 
2011-01-23 5:14 PM
in reply to: #3315627

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Hi Félix!

Was pretty sure I recognized that BT name.  No matter what speed you are, I'm sure you'll be able to add a lot to the group with your racing experience.

2011-01-23 5:20 PM
in reply to: #3315711

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Hi Wally.  You are welcome to join our group. 

Looks like we are just about to "critical mass", but I'll leave the group open for a bit longer and see if we add a few more.  I've been busy this weekend, but will try to catch up the next couple days and post some more thoughts.  In the meantime, you can all consider yourself part of the group and feel free to ask any questions or open any conversations with me, or with any other member of the group whenever you'd like.

If nobody steps up with questions/comments right away, I'll try to kick start some ideas over the next few days. 
2011-01-23 10:31 PM

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
Hi John!  I would like to join this group as well!  I will post the bio information tomorrow!
Thanks,
Jenny
2011-01-24 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3317246

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Welcome, Jenny!  Good to have a woman in the group to help keep us in line. 
2011-01-24 8:29 PM
in reply to: #3318055

Expert
Hey everyone, How's it going? Other than the Jets game, I had a pretty good weekend. Saturday I managed to get on the trainer. I slept late and had to get to work, so only a half hour but at least it was a start. Have to figure out something to make it a little more fun. I'm not sure about music, TV or spinervals or something, so any and all suggestions are welcome.

Sunday I ran in a local 5K, but my plan for the day was a 9 mile run, so between the warm up, race and cool down, I ran a total of 9 miles, but I didn't "race" the 5K. Instead I ran the 5K at a tempo pace. The next 5K in the series is in 2 weeks, and I plan on racing that one and will shoot for a PR.

Anthony
2011-01-24 9:35 PM

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
As promised, here's my bio.  Thanks for letting me join the group! 

NAME: Jenny

STORY: I am a 29 year old living in Milwaukee, WI (GO PACK GO!!!)  My background is mostly in running, I have played soccer competitively since I was eight.  I blew out my knee in 2006 and had to take a break from soccer, and during rehab I was limited to biking and swimming for a couple months and really actually enjoyed it.  I decided my goal coming out of rehab was to compete in my first triathlon, which I did in Chicago in 2007.  After that race, I was hooked.  I have done all sprint distance races with the exception of my first Olympic distance last summer (Chicago Triathlon in August).  I decided to take the big leap this year to the HIM distance.  If that goes well, I am considering attempting IMWI in 2012. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 4 years, no kids yet, have one cranky lizard named Mojo.

CURRENT TRAINING: Right now I am working on base training, really focusing a lot on strength training.  I have been attending a bike workout followed by strength training workout led by a pro triathlete in the area once a week, and have been hitting the pool twice a week.  I have been running at least twice a week as well, and have been competing in a couple indoor triathlons and 5k's. 

RACE HISTORY: As I mentioned before, I have mainly stuck with sprint distance so far.  I have done the Chicago Triathlon every year since 2007, and last year was my attempt at the Olympic.  The swim and bike rocked, but the heat caught up to me on the run and I ended up getting sick and having to walk a good portion of the run.  I completed my first marathon in October, finishing under 5 hrs.  I have also competed in a couple half-marathons as well. 

2011 RACES:  May: Door County Half Marathon; June: Elkhart Lake Triathlon (Sprint Distance), Pleasant Prairie Triathlon (Olympic Distance); July: Summerfest 10k, Racine Ironman 70.3 (This is the BIG race of the year for me!), Triing for Children's Triathlon (Super Sprint distance); August: Chicago Triathlon (Olympic- this year for redemption!)

WEIGHT LOSS: Could lose a couple pounds.  Nutrition is definetely an area I could improve. 

2011-01-25 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3319394

Not a Coach
Media, PA
amschrod - 2011-01-24 9:29 PM Hey everyone, How's it going? Other than the Jets game, I had a pretty good weekend. Saturday I managed to get on the trainer. I slept late and had to get to work, so only a half hour but at least it was a start. Have to figure out something to make it a little more fun. I'm not sure about music, TV or spinervals or something, so any and all suggestions are welcome.

Sunday I ran in a local 5K, but my plan for the day was a 9 mile run, so between the warm up, race and cool down, I ran a total of 9 miles, but I didn't "race" the 5K. Instead I ran the 5K at a tempo pace. The next 5K in the series is in 2 weeks, and I plan on racing that one and will shoot for a PR.

Anthony

Sorry about the Jets.  (Although, as an Eagles fan, I have limited sympathy for any team thta has won at least one Super Bowl. )

On the trainer, everyone is different, but I set mine up in front of the TV in our basement.  I usually watch SportsCenter or something like that where I don't have to follow things closely.  This is mostly because I usually do some kind of interval work with harder efforts on the trainer.  It's difficult to follow a plot line when your tongue is dragging on the ground. 

Good luck on the PR-attempt in the 5k!  Make sure you let us know how it goes.
2011-01-25 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3319503

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Jennifers - 2011-01-24 10:35 PM As promised, here's my bio.  Thanks for letting me join the group! 

NAME: Jenny

STORY: I am a 29 year old living in Milwaukee, WI (GO PACK GO!!!

I had trouble making it past that part.  But, despite the poor choice in football teams, my kids (the girls, especially) would like you.  They all play soccer.  And even the 6yo is pretty competive already. 

One suggestion I have (and we may want to add this to a list of topics to discuss among the group--along with riding the trainer, nutrition, etc.) is to start trying to increase your running frequency now, if possible.  Running is, by far, the toughest of the 3 tri sports on our bodies.  You can be very fit, but not be durable enough to do the run training necessary to really have a "good" run at the end of a long tri (defining "good" is an individual thing).  But, the only way to build that durability is to run a lot.  And the easiest way to run a lot while limiting injury risks, is to use frequency as a lever (the other levers are distance-per-run and intensity).  Even if you make some of those runs very short (20-30min), it can pay dividends over the long run (pun intended ).
2011-01-25 8:49 AM

Regular
Grand Blanc, MI
John
at this point, I'm focusing on building my endurance and aerobic base with the help of Spinerval dvd's that focus on it. What are your thoughts on adding a bike/run brick each week. Nothing long, just something like an hr bike w/ a 30 min run.
thanks
2011-01-25 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3320067

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Nole Runner - 2011-01-25 9:49 AM John at this point, I'm focusing on building my endurance and aerobic base with the help of Spinerval dvd's that focus on it. What are your thoughts on adding a bike/run brick each week. Nothing long, just something like an hr bike w/ a 30 min run. thanks

I don't think bricks are a necessary component to training at this point in the season.  However, from a time management/logistics standpoint, sometimes it is easier to add a run by tacking it onto a bike workout (already "dressed" and "in motion").  I would generally say make the bike the focus of the workout and then just run comfortably afterward.  30min is great, but even 20min will do if you are getting your other stand-alone runs done during the week.  In the past, I've done 2 or even 3 of these a week to tack on those extra runs.  If I have the time, my preference is to seperate them.  But we all have other constraints that come into play.

I should note that I tend to train the bike a bit different from many.  I use a fair amount of intensity there, year-round.  Injury risk is far lower than with running and, being time limited, I can get more bang for my training-buck.  I also think this is a very good idea for those stuck on the trainer during the winter months.  Riding the trainer for a long endurance ride (even watching a movie) can be mind numbing.  Hopping on for 45-90min, with chunks of that time focused on just hanging on make it more manageable.  And can yield roughly the same (or better) results.  I actually use the trainer year-round.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » JohnnyKay's HIM & IM focused Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 13