BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-06-08 6:24 AM
in reply to: #3287331

Subject: RE: Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full

good morning. quick post for me. 14 miles on the bike this morning on the bike path. The Cuyahoga Valley National Park is really beautiful and I saw a turkey! Fun stuff! I have been struggling to get up the past few days which is rare for me and so it felt good to have my workout completed before my house wakes up! I have had to squeeze workouts in the past two days which is no fun at all. I did my first open water swim this past saturday on Lake Erie. I did about a mile and I am so glad that is over. One of my friends who is also doing the triathlon had her husband go with us and had he not been there, I would have turned around. I was really panicky for about the first 5-10 minutes (which felt like forever) and could not get my breathing under control, and it was cold. I definitely need a wet suit. Point taken.

congrats to all of you who had races this past weekend and to you lisa for powering through!

gotta scoot- big garage sale weekend here in my development and i am getting all the junk out of my house! also big softball weekend and big dance recital weekend---why does everything have to happen at the same time?

2011-06-08 6:28 AM

also quick question- we are headed to the beach for vacation next week.  im trying to figure out how to fit in my swim workouts. the pool at our hotel is not really a lap pool and im not sure im brave enough to do the ocean alone. i guess i could maybe swim parallel to the beach? not that far out in the water? any suggestions?
2011-06-08 11:37 AM
in reply to: #3537368

Regular
Way to tough it out Lisa! I learned about colds and what they do to your level of fitness myself so I understand what you went through; it took me like a week after I felt 'better' to feel that I was progressing in my training again. I'm sure your better for making the effort!Smile
2011-06-08 4:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
When I go for an ocean swim, I try to find a lifegurded section of beach, and swim parallel to the shore from beach flag to beach flag.  Swim cap, as mentioned, and I'll let the lifeguard know what I'm doing.  I just swim for time.
2011-06-09 6:48 AM

thanks for all the ows help! i swam a mile in the pool this morning and ran 3 miles. i hope everyone's training is going well.
2011-06-09 7:49 PM

Regular
Subject: Is the T-rex Tri a USAT sanctioned event?

**Edit**

I found it, I didn't have the filters in the search set right, it is, woot!

Edited by Phaethon 2011-06-09 7:55 PM

2011-06-09 8:55 PM

Nice job on the races guys! Always cool to hear the results. And Andy, you're crazy with the back to back races.

I'm now 2 weeks out from my first HIM (Lubbock, TX), and about as good shape as I'm going to be. My question is what to do until then. I'm following a training plan, so distances and times are covered, but what should I be focusing on? And I'll probably post again later, but what to do the day before the race? I feel confident I'll be able to finish (even in the 100 degree weather), but I definitely want to have a smart and fast race. I didn't work this hard to make a dumb mental mistake!

Steven

2011-06-09 11:01 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Well i finally finsihed my race reports, just in time for my next race this weekend.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-edit.as... -Rev 3 HIM
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... -Rev3 Olympic

I really had a great time and it was a great training day for IM Canada which is a very hilly bike. Now I get to see how well my recovery pump and Ultragen work as I try to run a HIM for time this weekend at Eagleman. Remember the higher you set your sites and more difficult your goals seem, the more rewarding it is when you achieve them

Great job everyone last week. Hope to get thru all your race reports soon and I am very inspired by each one of you.

Andy
2011-06-10 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Nice job Andy!  And now Eagleman this weekend.  You are one tough dude.  Good luck.  It looks like the weather won't be too bad.

How did you get involved with your teams?

2011-06-10 3:05 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
One of the really cool thing with triathlon is the fact a MOP triathlete like myself can get selected for sponsorship opportunites. I applied for Team Javelin in 2007 and got accepted (Basically just wore the uniform they sent me., Joined Team-Hole-in-the-Wall to raise $ for the Victory Junction Gang Camps in 2008. Also I 2008, I applied for Team Zoot/Gu and was selected for that team which went away at the end of the year. In 2009, I saw a thread for Team Trakkers which was just starting and sent in my application and have been a part of this great team for the last three years. Basically, many of these companies are looking to advertise by word of mouth and social media as well as having there logo on someone's back. Team Trakkers has been very successful at putting together such a group and has attracted a number of great sponsors including Kestrel, TYR, First Endurance, SBR Sports, All3Sports.com, REV3, and Avia. I have teammates who are pros, top AG athletes (IE top female amature at Kona in 2009 was my teammate), and then some regular but highly enthusiastic MOPers like me. It is a good multi tiered approach so the sponsors get a good presence and product exposure and we certainly get a good deal in return (race entries, free products, discounted products etc).

There are a number of teams out there and each fall/winter you will see chances to apply for the upcoming season.

Andy
2011-06-10 3:21 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Steven

Over the last few weeks as you cut back on the volume, I try to start focusing in on the mental aspects. Try and get familiar with the course, look at the hill profiles, read race reports from previous years. Then during your workouts try and practice visuallizing yourself and what you will encounter on race day. Try and schedule a run in the middle of the day if that is when you will be running, and early morning swim and bike so you can get a mental dress rehersal for race day. Think about transitions and maybe practice a few during these last couple weeks as that is where you will make alot of mistakes which can cost you (IE read my race report from the HIM this weekend where I left half of my EFS Liquid Shots behind in T1). Also this is a good time to take care of your gear, get a race tuneup at the LBS, make sure you have everything from wetsuit to goggles to uniform and shoes and have broken them in or stretched them out (especially for your wetsuit if you haven't used it since last year). Also figure out the logistics (how do i get there, when is packet pick up, where do I park, how much extra time should i give myself on race morning, hotel (if necessary), where am I going to get breakfast at 5-6 am.)

Lastly think about what you would do if something does go wrong. Ie do you have all the stuff to fix a flat and are comfortable doing so, etc.

But most importantly relax, enjoy the moment, and try to have fun.

Andy

2011-06-10 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3541958

Regular

southwestmba - 2011-06-09 11:01 PM Well i finally finsihed my race reports, just in time for my next race this weekend. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-edit.as... -Rev 3 HIM http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... -Rev3 Olympic I really had a great time and it was a great training day for IM Canada which is a very hilly bike. Now I get to see how well my recovery pump and Ultragen work as I try to run a HIM for time this weekend at Eagleman. Remember the higher you set your sites and more difficult your goals seem, the more rewarding it is when you achieve them Great job everyone last week. Hope to get thru all your race reports soon and I am very inspired by each one of you. Andy

I don't know if anyone else has trouble accessing your HIM report but I could not; it took me to a screen to log in, which of course I already am. I did notice the address is slightly different from the Olympic report, perhaps that's it?

50 MILES AN HOUR! I got scared sitting here at home reading that; that would be exhilarating! Dude, you are an inspiration, that was a nice weekend romp you did there, grats!

2011-06-10 11:11 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
2011-06-11 6:26 AM
in reply to: #3543502

Regular

Better! So is a 'double' like this a regular part of your year, or where you just feeling your oats? Also, at your level, what is the training like? Is it still like the way you would train as a lowbie or are the races your 'training'? 

2011-06-11 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3541836

Regular
Good luck Syphon! Have fun! I'm hoping to be where your at sometime late next year, I'll be looking forward to reading your race report Smile
2011-06-12 8:40 AM

Regular
Subject: Recovery thoughts

I had a good training day yesterday, biking 11.2 and then following up with a 3 mile run. Later in the day I felt "different" mentally, I don't know how to pin-point it exactly, just sort of out of it, and then developed a headache lwhich lingered. In hindsight perhaps I should of ate more earlier, I had a protein shake and some nuts when I got home, then a couple hours later a hot dog before eating dinner at 5-ish. I suppose I could of drank more fluids as well; I also had a big glass of water with chlorophyll, some orange juice and some coffee in addition to the protein shake.

So it sounds like perhaps I should eat and drink more, thoughts? Any 'Old triathletes' tales?

2011-06-12 1:40 PM

here's my alcatraz report.  

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=256123

also, i had a 10k yesterday, which i planned to use as a tempo run, 1/2 marathon pace.  however, i ended up feeling really good, holding 8:00 pace for the first 5k, and setting a new pr.  50:30.  i am so close to sub-50 and i am sooooo excited about it!

anyway, the 10k taught me 2 things.  first, i have some "performance anxiety" issues when i set a goal before races...my body often gets tight and it becomes stressful to maintain my pace with a calm mind.  second, my body knows what to do.  i was sleep-deprived, jet-lagged, and dehydrated from a very long travel day, and totally shocked myself with my performance.  so if i can figure out the anxiety stuff, who knows how fast i could go?  

Edited by IronDiva 2011-06-12 1:44 PM
2011-06-12 10:32 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Well I survived Eagleman today! The Good: My first ever HIM bike split over 20 mph with style (21.21 mph), picked up 555 spots on course. The Bad: 48 min non wetsuit swim the reason I need to pick up 555 spots. The ugly-the run, I blew up and my stomach revolted and I gave back about 250 spots.

Hopefully I'll get my race report up soon. Another very cool thing Richie Cunningham who finished 2nd in the pro division by running from 9th to 2nd (fastest split of the day), 2nd straight year with a 2nd place finish and the fastest run split at Eagleman. After the race I run into Richie (He is a Team Trakkers Pro) and he wants to know how my race went. How many sports does a top pro care about how a MOP amature's day went?
2011-06-13 5:33 AM
in reply to: #3544770

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job on the race.  It sounds like you learned a lot about yourself from it and the subsequent 10K.
2011-06-15 10:56 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Hope everyone is getting a chance to enjoy the nice change in weather. My kids had there last day of school yesterday and they have been vibrating with energy as summer has finally arrived. My older son is supposed to do a kids triathlon in July which I am planning to volunteer at. That will be a great change of pace. For me it is a challenge to be a spectator so hopefully being a volunteer will keep me busy enough but still give me that change to root Adrian on.

Andy
2011-06-15 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3550388

Regular

southwestmba - 2011-06-15 10:56 AM Hope everyone is getting a chance to enjoy the nice change in weather. My kids had there last day of school yesterday and they have been vibrating with energy as summer has finally arrived. My older son is supposed to do a kids triathlon in July which I am planning to volunteer at. That will be a great change of pace. For me it is a challenge to be a spectator so hopefully being a volunteer will keep me busy enough but still give me that change to root Adrian on. Andy

Here in Michigan we're running the whole gamut of weather: Hot, cold, humid, windy, calm, sunny, cloudy, rainy, dry. That's just how it is here, we're one of those places where you can say, "you don't like the weather? Wait a minute, it will change."

I'm 3 and 1/2 weeks from my next tri and so far so good; I've lost a few pounds and am on target for my goal weight of 210, I might even be a tad below that when the Tri comes. I continue to increase my volume and endurance, I have a good attitude and am enjoying this phase of life and looking forward to continued improvement!

2011-06-15 6:59 PM
in reply to: #3544770

Regular
Good job, ID! I was looking at photos of previous 'Escapes' and it looks like a great Tri to compete in. One day I'd like to travel to events outside of Michigan and participate; that one sure looks like a possibility
2011-06-15 7:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Andy, I'm interested in how you prepare for a HIM.  Looking over your logs, it looks like you typically run about 45-60 minutes 5 days/week, and then either go to a spin class or ride on your Computrainer for about 60-90 minutes about 5-6 days/week.

I'm planning on using one of the HIM training program here on BT, and it typically has you run up to 2-2.5 hours for the long run at the peak, and ride 3-4.5 hrs for the long ride at the peak.

What are your thoughts on 2+ hour runs, and 3+ hour rides in prep for a HIM?  You get a lot of run and ride volume in weekly/monthly, but in a different way than the plans here.

Obviously, you've done well with your self-coaching, and I'm just kind of curious.   This article posted in another link got me to thinking of your training.  http://triathlon.competitor.com/2011/06/training/the-endangered-outdoor-ride_31264

Edited by hip82 2011-06-15 7:57 PM
2011-06-15 11:31 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Tom

I have never been a fan of a training plan out of a book or any other one size fits all plan. Those plans just never seem to fit my needs and or constraints. As you know, when you are an inspector you get to spend alot of time on the road and don't always have the most predictable schedule, then throw in the kids and their schedules and my wife and her stuff and I find I'm typically not able to do most of those plans. So I work my workouts around those constrants. Thus I run at lunch when I'm in the region and even at a number of plants (if they have showers) for example Peach Bottom, Ginna, and Susquehanna are awesome site to run at, then in the evening i will do a Computrainer session at night after the kids go to bed or go to the YMCA with them and get a spin class in. I don't do a ton of swimming either more as matter of it is the hardest to work into my schedule.

What I try to do is exercise the concept of periodization. I will do a 2 week high volume - one week recovery set. It is very important to give yoyr body some time to recover and strenthen itself One of those weeks I focus on cycling and one on running. I do subscribe to the theory in the article, which Gordo Byne (author of Going Long and the Triathlete's Training Bible and a BT member) also endorses that you can make alot of progress on the bike with shorter high intensity efforts on the bike. Since on the bike you don't take the physical pounding you do on the run you can go harder more often and max out the effort for the limited time you have to train. With the run you have to be more careful and balance easy and hard days but you can do this with intervals, fartlicks, on a normal run or by doing hills . Cycling classes have really helped me become a strong climber and the interval work is is great plus the music and getting to work with a group is nice.

I tend to train year round at fairly consistant volumes vice do a 12-16 week plan but I also do alot of races which gets the long bike/runs into my training schedule. Doing 3 HIM in a month is a better race prep than a 4 hour trainer ride or a 2 hour run for me. Of course I have already built and established a solid base so my training is more of the maintain mode vice base build mode or confidence build mode which is the basis for many plans.

Hope that helps and I didn't ramble too much.

Andy
2011-06-15 11:55 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Finished re doing my Eagleman race report. Worked on it for two days and went to save it and Adrian had been messing with the router and it kicked me to the sign in screen and the report was gone. So I finished version 2 tonight. Every day is a learning experience and I hope to learn alot from this race if i can figure out what happened.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Andy
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  

of 14