BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-04-19 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3454235

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!
Kath2163 - 2011-04-19 7:53 AM

julta - 2011-04-18 8:42 PM Robin I'm actually doing the Denver Century (Kathleen is as well) I've never done Elephant rock and would love to do it some time....Maybe next year...so many events.... Will you be coming down with him?

I have done the Elephant Rock a couple of times. It it a fun event. Robin, your husband will enjoy it. Just tell him that it gets really crowded at times. Which distance is he doing?

Kathleen/Julie - my DH (Steve) is doing the century at Elephant Rock. I think we are planning on staying near the event in Castle Rock the night before and then 2 nights in Denver, before we leave for HAWAII!!! My family vacation will be another topic at a later point as I am really bad at exercising while on vacation.

Vivian - I wouldn't start worrying about your bike volume quite yet. Just start small, be consistent and everything else will fall into place.

Welcome Tim!

Workouts today - I plan on a trainer ride while attempting a sufferfest video and a swim later on.

Edited by robingray_260 2011-04-19 9:27 AM

2011-04-19 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3454122

User image

Pro
Houston

kenj - 2011-04-19 6:46 AM Morning gang!  Whats on our plates for today? 

I did an hour on the trainer this morning, although it was a fairly easy pace.  I went to masters last night for the first time in a while and am paying for it a bit this morning.  Mostly due to not being able to fall asleep after swimming!

I swam last night and couldn't get to sleep either. I was up past 2am! NOT a good timeYell

Hello cofee.... I love you.

Plan today is to do some lifting. I love weights but with all the s/b/r and life in general I have not done any in a very long time. However, my upper body is feeling weak and I feel it affects my bike so I plan to lift at least one day a week. Then I have a bike ride later this afternoon/evening which will likely be a trainer ride - got some Real Housewives of Orange County on the DVR - Partay! I love my bike I just don't love riding it and haven't been on it since the disastrous Oly. It is time.

2011-04-19 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Regular
Connecticut

Oh yeah!  My boss gave me the OK to take an extended lunch break - so I am off to the pool soon for a swim.  I haven't done any swimming in a while.  Surprised  I planned on a bike ride today - but it is supposed to rain and it is cold out... yuck!

Stupid question: How do you all keep count of how many laps?  I keep losing count.  Undecided

2011-04-19 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3454550

User image

Pro
Houston
scraver - 2011-04-19 9:54 AM

Oh yeah!  My boss gave me the OK to take an extended lunch break - so I am off to the pool soon for a swim.  I haven't done any swimming in a while.  Surprised  I planned on a bike ride today - but it is supposed to rain and it is cold out... yuck!

Stupid question: How do you all keep count of how many laps?  I keep losing count.  Undecided

Yay for a long lunch!

Having a swim plan with me helps me keep track of the laps because then I do a set amount, rest, another set etc. So if I have 200 W/U that is 4 laps - I count to myself on the way down one, one, one and the same on the way back so I don't count my lenghts as laps. Once I get to 200 for the U/W I start all over again for the main set like 500 or whatever. When I have to do a bunch of 100s like 20 of them it gets a little tricky but I try to find some association for each lap like my kids age or something like that.

They also have these handy little lap counter finger watches  Maybe the Easter Bunny will bring you one.

2011-04-19 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3454533

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
KeriKadi - 2011-04-19 10:49 AM

I did an hour on the trainer this morning, although it was a fairly easy pace.  I went to masters last night for the first time in a while and am paying for it a bit this morning.  Mostly due to not being able to fall asleep after swimming!

I swam last night and couldn't get to sleep either. I was up past 2am! NOT a good timeYell

Plan today is to do some lifting. I love weights but with all the s/b/r and life in general I have not done any in a very long time. However, my upper body is feeling weak and I feel it affects my bike so I plan to lift at least one day a week. Then I have a bike ride later this afternoon/evening which will likely be a trainer ride - got some Real Housewives of Orange County on the DVR - Partay! I love my bike I just don't love riding it and haven't been on it since the disastrous Oly. It is time.

Coffee was my energy drink of choice this morning! 

We had a short discussion on strength training before you joined us Keri on different kinds of strength training.  Do you do more of the traditional weight trainig with free weights, etc.? Or are you using a different form, like plyometrics and body weight stuff?
2011-04-19 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3454550

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
scraver - 2011-04-19 10:54 AM

Have a good swim!

I use a timex watch with the 50 lap timer and just hit the lap button, but this is as much as for watching my pace as it is for lap counting (I tend to slack off in the pool if I don't pay attention too my time).  Having a workout as Keri mentioned is another good way to keep track. 

2011-04-19 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3454813

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
kenj - 2011-04-19 11:51 AM
scraver - 2011-04-19 10:54 AM

Have a good swim!

I use a timex watch with the 50 lap timer and just hit the lap button, but this is as much as for watching my pace as it is for lap counting (I tend to slack off in the pool if I don't pay attention too my time).  Having a workout as Keri mentioned is another good way to keep track. 

My wife found a small stop watch that slips onto my first finger.  It times and counts laps, overall time, average/lap, slowest, fastest.  About $30.  Advertised in Masters Swimmers, she said.  Great device.  Long swims, I no longer have to count at all.

Stretching rocks. I got into it because of an IT band injury last fall.  Seriously into it.  Yoga etc.  Roadbikerider.com has a ebook on Yoga for Cyclists.   Training Peaks has a DVD by the same name.  Also a physical therapist added to the list when I had that during IT band recovery.

Also foam rollers are terrific.  I graduated to Triggerpoint and then to the Rumble Roller.  Looks like a torture device from the middle ages but boy does it work.  Also have massage therapy every 2- to 3 weeks. 

2011-04-19 12:14 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Anyone care to chime in with their swim speed secret?

Wondering what the one item is that has helped you get faster.

I'm   s.... l....o....w..., to the tune of 20 min for 750m.

I've had a few lessons which have helped (was over 23 min when I started), but still a long way to go.

2011-04-19 12:24 PM
in reply to: #3454874

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
marvintpa - 2011-04-19 1:14 PM

I've had a few lessons which have helped (was over 23 min when I started), but still a long way to go.

I'm impressed, first 3 groups swimming was the first topic! Already on page 11 before it is mentioned. 

Seriously though, swimming is my weakest (and least favorite) of the three sports, although I do like my open water swims in the summer.  The advice given to me and preached at masters group is to do the drills, practice your form and be consistent in getting to the water.

But I am guessing there are some better swimmers in the group that can offer some better advice! 
2011-04-19 12:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Anyone on Face Book?  Feel free to "friend" me if so.  Scott Richardson, Normal Il. 

As for being fast in the water, I would not know.  I am a middle of the pack kind of guy on the swim and hold on for dear life on the run.   Love both though.

2011-04-19 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

Sorry I haven't kept up with the group.  Over 200 posts in a week is quite a bit for me to keep up.  I thought my last group was active with 5-6 posts a day!

Keep up the good work everyone and I'll chime in when I can.

2011-04-19 1:36 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
2011-04-19 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3454636

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
KeriKadi - 2011-04-19 10:23 AM
scraver - 2011-04-19 9:54 AM

Yay for a long lunch!

Having a swim plan with me helps me keep track of the laps because then I do a set amount, rest, another set etc. So if I have 200 W/U that is 4 laps - I count to myself on the way down one, one, one and the same on the way back so I don't count my lenghts as laps. Once I get to 200 for the U/W I start all over again for the main set like 500 or whatever. When I have to do a bunch of 100s like 20 of them it gets a little tricky but I try to find some association for each lap like my kids age or something like that.

They also have these handy little lap counter finger watches  Maybe the Easter Bunny will bring you one.

X2

As for swimming, I am a good swimmer (swam competetively in HS, All-State for 3yrs), propably not a good coach though, so take what I say for what it is worth!   I do think form/technique is the single most important factor here.  As your form improves so does your efficiency, hence you can go harder/faster for longer. So how do you improve your form? A couple of thoughts - 1) hire a coach 2) join a masters class 3) drills, drills, drills 4) look at websites - search on youtube or I know a lot of people like Mr. Smooth at swimsmooth.com   people also seem to do well with total immersion (TI) - but I don't know much about it.

Unfortunately swimming is not like running, where you can make steady progress just by running more - until you can master the freestyle stroke you will find it difficult and possibly frustrating. It is well worth it though, b/c the feeling of just gliding through the water is amazing!

I may be better at specific questions - so keep em coming

2011-04-19 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3454874

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
marvintpa - 2011-04-19 1:14 PM

You might want to check this post out:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=249043&posts=1&start=1

2011-04-19 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3455038

User image

Regular
Connecticut
2011-04-19 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3455106

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

I do it in the triaining log. If you scroll down on the left you will see "friends" click the plus sign next to friends and then you can cut and paste the names.

2011-04-19 4:06 PM
in reply to: #3454800

User image

Pro
Houston
kenj - 2011-04-19 11:48 AM
KeriKadi - 2011-04-19 10:49 AM

Coffee was my energy drink of choice this morning! 

We had a short discussion on strength training before you joined us Keri on different kinds of strength training.  Do you do more of the traditional weight trainig with free weights, etc.? Or are you using a different form, like plyometrics and body weight stuff?

I used to do a lot of free weights before my s/b/r days but I don't have the time now and don't think a lot of those exercises will help me with my current goals. Today I did some work on the exercise ball, some plyo with weighted balls (that just sounds wrong) and some free weights for biceps and shoulders. It has been a while so I felt a bit awkward at first but it all came back to me and felt great.

2011-04-19 4:35 PM
in reply to: #3454156

User image

Veteran
Georgia
2011-04-19 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3454156

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Viyoung - 2011-04-19 8:13 AM shake n bake, what kind of knee surgery did you have and how did you ease your way back into running?  Did it hurt when you started?

In the left knee I had a meniscus tear. with some cartledge damage on the top inner portion of the knee.. The surgeon removed and shaved the torn tissue and shaved the tear in the meniscus out..When starting PT I told the therapist that I was training for a triathlon, so she really incorporated exercises to help me progress and push the knee to its limits. They released me to run in May and I did my first event in June. The June event I had a little over a 10 min/mile average..my other events my run average was 8 to 9 min/mile averages..

2011-04-19 5:01 PM
in reply to: #3445975

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: kenj's group open!

Wow! I have been very busy the last few days and finally got a chance to catch up. Great group with a lot of activity and very interesting discussion!

Viyoung - 2011-04-14 8:42 AM

Kathleen, thanks!  I'm excited, but also need a lot of encouragement.  My family thinks I'm crazy, my DH keeps asking me, "are you still going to do this? are you really going to do this?"

I have to, there's no way I'm quitting before even trying.

This is from back on page 3, but you really caught my attention, Vivian. For me, the best thing about BT in general and especially the Mentor Groups is all the support we both get and give. Your  family may not fully understand, but we all get it, and we all really want you to succeed in reaching your goals, and we want you to have fun along the way!

Anthony

2011-04-19 7:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Terrific FTP test with 1 X 20 @ 110% @ 95 rpm.  Second test (which doesn't count toward FTP) was 1 X 20 @ 97% @# 83 rpm.  Strong test. Highest I've been.  Interested in seeing what the coach determines my FTP to be. 

Robin you are my go-to swim mentor   I agreed with every thing you suggested.  I have been with Masters two years and really paying off.  Stroke efficiency is what we are focusing on now after months and months of form work.  But don't let that discourage anyone.  Short courses are only 600 to 1200 yards.  You can do that...You won't win in the water.  The goal is to get out with as much breath left as possible and without using the legs overly so you have them for the bike and the run. 

Edited by IceManScott 2011-04-19 7:03 PM

2011-04-19 7:09 PM
in reply to: #3455591

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
IceManScott - 2011-04-19 7:02 PM

Terrific FTP test with 1 X 20 @ 110% @ 95 rpm.  Second test (which doesn't count toward FTP) was 1 X 20 @ 97% @# 83 rpm.  Strong test. Highest I've been.  Interested in seeing what the coach determines my FTP to be. 

Robin you are my go-to swim mentor   I agreed with every thing you suggested.  I have been with Masters two years and really paying off.  Stroke efficiency is what we are focusing on now after months and months of form work.  But don't let that discourage anyone.  Short courses are only 600 to 1200 yards.  You can do that...You won't win in the water.  The goal is to get out with as much breath left as possible and without using the legs overly so you have them for the bike and the run. 

Iceman - I will be your swim go-to if you will be my bike go-to mentor!!!! Awesome job on your test! You have to be stoked.

I really, really need to do a time trial but I am scared. ooohhh the pain!

2011-04-19 9:35 PM

User image

Pro
Houston

I'm procrastinating. Somebody tell me I should go get on the trainer instead of having a Mike's Hard Lemonade.

2011-04-20 12:07 AM
in reply to: #3455591

User image

Veteran
Georgia
IceManScott - 2011-04-19 8:02 PM

Great FTP on the bike Iceman..

I was able to get a 50 min run in with some strides.. Looks to be a great group we have...great topics. Keep up the good work everyone.

2011-04-20 4:29 AM
in reply to: #3455601

User image

Expert
Canada

robingray_260 - 2011-04-19 9:09 PM  I really, really need to do a time trial but I am scared. ooohhh the pain!

As someone on the site quipped previously  "You have to be willing to explore the pain cave"

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72