BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2011-04-25 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3434942

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Subject: RE: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL

Another great rest night.  Did the incline again - cold and wet - but set a new PR on the up (~39 min - GOAL ACCOMPLISHED) and PR on the total ~1:05 (~10 minutes of my total time last time).  Did not run through town though - just started in the parking lot.

And - no pics this time.  Too foggy (well - low cloud level).

2011-04-25 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3464956

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
lounav - 2011-04-25 1:29 PM

I've had a real up and down week with my training.  I had a big biking breakthrough - I managed to drink while riding my bike!  Up until this point, I've had to stop when I needed a drink, as I was terrified of letting go with one hand.  I was starting to get worried that I was going to have a real problem come race day (and I still may!), but I think I'm headed in the right direction.  It wasn't as bad as I had feared.  Fear is still my main obstacle on the bike.  

How's everyone else's training going?

GREAT JOB!!!  Keep it up and keep practicing.

My training is happening.  Kind of went rogue lately and have not folowed the planned plan, but I am still recovering from taking those two weeks off - almost back to full time / intensity.  Still need to load the plan into the site too.

2011-04-25 8:58 PM

, North Carolina

I took a rest day today after a slow and sluggish run yesterday.   I am wondering what is wrong with me...I feel like i should be getting stronger and faster as i get back into running hills  and trails this summer, but really I have just felt slow and heavy, lie my legs are lead!  I don't know if i am dehydrated, my nutrition isn't cutting it, I'm getting old, I'm just not really that fit, or if I am overtraining and need more rest.  

I am missing the days when I felt strong and fit when I run.  I don't know why this is happening.  ANy suggestions?

2011-04-25 9:32 PM
in reply to: #3465774

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
haley913 - 2011-04-25 7:58 PM

I took a rest day today after a slow and sluggish run yesterday.   I am wondering what is wrong with me...I feel like i should be getting stronger and faster as i get back into running hills  and trails this summer, but really I have just felt slow and heavy, lie my legs are lead!  I don't know if i am dehydrated, my nutrition isn't cutting it, I'm getting old, I'm just not really that fit, or if I am overtraining and need more rest.  

I am missing the days when I felt strong and fit when I run.  I don't know why this is happening.  ANy suggestions?

I'm no trainer and had issues of my own, but two things come to mind:  1)  Weight loss too quickly and not right macro-nutrients (carbs, fat, protein).  That impacted me and when I started my build phase, I crashed.  2)  is what I noted on your logs - went from 80 minutes to 320 minutes in 1 week.  If that is true, this could be over-training.  Rule of thumb is 10% increase in average per week especially when starting out.  Might help to back off some.

Anyone else?

2011-04-25 10:37 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
haley913 - 2011-04-25 6:58 PM

I looked at your logs and don't see anything screaming at me as far as overtraining. I guess one thing I've found in the time I"ve been leading this lifestyle is that there are peaks and valleys. Sometimes the body just needs more rest. It could be a combination of mental and emotional and physical stresses on the body as well. It could be nutrition. It could be that water that got contaminated, but I sure hope not! I found out part of my issue was that I'm anemic and have low ferretin levels (iron stores). So after I started supplementing iron with Dr. supervision my iron has come up and I have more energy. It could also be hormonal. Lovely being a woman sometimes. Those are just some of my thoughts.
2011-04-26 12:43 AM
in reply to: #3464956

User image

Melon Presser
lounav - 2011-04-26 4:29 AM

I've had a real up and down week with my training.  I had a big biking breakthrough - I managed to drink while riding my bike!  Up until this point, I've had to stop when I needed a drink, as I was terrified of letting go with one hand.  I was starting to get worried that I was going to have a real problem come race day (and I still may!), but I think I'm headed in the right direction.  It wasn't as bad as I had feared.  Fear is still my main obstacle on the bike.

While my biking is going better, my swimming got worse!  I don't know if it is all in my head, or if I've actually done something to mess up my stroke.  But, I'm having trouble catching my breath after only short distances.  I thought I'd worked through this many months ago, but now I seem to have taken some steps backwards.  I went ahead and signed up for another set of 4 private lessons, starting next Monday.  So hopefully, my wonderful swim instructor can get me back on track.  Yikes!

YEEEEEEHAH. I do love a girl who knows how to drink . Congrats, and keep practicing. It will become second nature in time.

It is my experience that swimming dips come right before swimming breakthroughs, so I'd look forward to those lessons with great joy.

2011-04-26 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3465925

User image

Veteran
Austin
TriAya - 2011-04-26 12:43 AM
lounav - 2011-04-26 4:29 AM

While my biking is going better, my swimming got worse!  I don't know if it is all in my head, or if I've actually done something to mess up my stroke.  But, I'm having trouble catching my breath after only short distances.  I thought I'd worked through this many months ago, but now I seem to have taken some steps backwards.  I went ahead and signed up for another set of 4 private lessons, starting next Monday.  So hopefully, my wonderful swim instructor can get me back on track.  Yikes!

YEEEEEEHAH. I do love a girl who knows how to drink . Congrats, and keep practicing. It will become second nature in time.

It is my experience that swimming dips come right before swimming breakthroughs, so I'd look forward to those lessons with great joy.

That's the best thing I've heard in weeks!!

As far as not good things I heard this week ~ I just found out (hours after officially registering for my first tri) that my racing partner is dropping out.  I'm so sad.  She has done this tri a few times in the past, and I was kind of counting on her to walk me through some of the technical/logistical parts of it (how to get there, etc.)  Also, just to have someone else there.  The real bummer is that I was only doing this specific race because it was the one she wanted to do.  I'm actually doing a two week road/camping trip the two weeks before the trip (with my 6 y/o and 2 y/o!), returning home just in time to get my packet and race the next day.  So that all sucks.  But, I of course have to completely forgive her because if it wasn't for her I NEVER would have started training and now a whole new world has opened up for me.  

Edited by lounav 2011-04-26 12:38 PM
2011-04-26 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3466789

User image

Melon Presser
lounav - 2011-04-27 2:35 AM

As far as not good things I heard this week ~ I just found out (hours after officially registering for my first tri) that my racing partner is dropping out.  I'm so sad.  She has done this tri a few times in the past, and I was kind of counting on her to walk me through some of the technical/logistical parts of it (how to get there, etc.)  Also, just to have someone else there.  The real bummer is that I was only doing this specific race because it was the one she wanted to do.  I'm actually doing a two week road/camping trip the two weeks before the trip (with my 6 y/o and 2 y/o!), returning home just in time to get my packet and race the next day.  So that all sucks.  But, I of course have to completely forgive her because if it wasn't for her I NEVER would have started training and now a whole new world has opened up for me.  

Well, she can still give you all the advice without having to be there, right? Also, in my book a sherpa > fellow participant. Can you wheedle someone into coming and lugging all your stuff around for you?

The camping trip sounds like a perfect taper!

Try to think of this tri as a tri-al run, ha ha ha ... no really, it's a test-the-waters adventure. You are under no obligation whatsoever to perform, just to participate and have a blast.

2011-04-26 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3465710

User image

Melon Presser
mackjenn - 2011-04-26 10:19 AM

Another great rest night.  Did the incline again - cold and wet - but set a new PR on the up (~39 min - GOAL ACCOMPLISHED) and PR on the total ~1:05 (~10 minutes of my total time last time).  Did not run through town though - just started in the parking lot.

This post is worthless without pics!!!

Heh. CONGRATS ... awesome job on the PR killer run. So when did you say you were going to actually rest?

2011-04-26 1:05 PM

User image

Melon Presser
haley913 - 2011-04-26 10:58 AM

John and Lynn gave you some good feedback ... it might be that there's nothing wrong with you (I mean, you're not otherwise feeling tired or ill or fill-in-the-blank, right) and this is just a case of "you are at where you are at." Train accordingly, not by how you think you SHOULD be.

Ease into it. Do a run short enough and at low enough intensity that you are refreshed afterward, not tired. Build from there.

2011-04-26 1:10 PM
in reply to: #3466857

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
TriAya - 2011-04-26 12:00 PM

Heh. CONGRATS ... awesome job on the PR killer run. So when did you say you were going to actually rest?

OK - here is a pic.  Not of the incline, but a cake I baked for my daughter's birthday.  But it IS a pic (you did not specify).

I'll be resting shortly after you take time to fully recover.  Laughing

(sheridan panda1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
sheridan panda1.jpg (27KB - 6 downloads)

2011-04-26 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3466789

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO

Hey Louise, That is a bummer about your race buddy. Most of my race buddies have dropped off as well...but one remains a good sherpa...helping with the shlepping and cheering and such. It sounds like you may not be able to do this, but it is so helpful if you can walk/ride/drive  the event course beforehand so you know where you're going throughout the race and how transition is set up, etc. That will take a lot of the unease out of it if you have a chance...even before your camping trip-or possible when you pick up your packet.

Keep on practicing on that bike drinking! and I agree with Yanti-your swim is probably just about to breakthrough.

Holly

2011-04-26 1:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

Thoughts on recovery:  I'm thinking of doing a practice Sprint Tri on May 15th - 3 weeks before the "Olympic" length Escape from Alcatraz (1.5 mile swim, 18 mile bike, 8 mile run) on June 5th.  Advantages:  Cold water OWS, able to test out transition and such during race conditions, and an opportunity to just work out bugs during a race before my 1st big one of the year.

Is this enough time to fully recover?  I then have another spring AFTER the excape (only 2 weeks between that one and the sprint, but I'm not concerned about that one since it was done as part of the Boulder Series).

Thoughts?  What would be the optimum recovery to full capabilities?

2011-04-26 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3466881

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
mackjenn - 2011-04-26 12:10 PM
TriAya - 2011-04-26 12:00 PM

OK - here is a pic.  Not of the incline, but a cake I baked for my daughter's birthday.  But it IS a pic (you did not specify).

Oh! Snap! HE'S GOT YOUR NUMBER, SISTER!!!

Oh Yummy looking cake-Well done!

2011-04-26 1:55 PM
in reply to: #3466954

User image

Veteran
Austin
Hollz - 2011-04-26 1:29 PM

Hey Louise, That is a bummer about your race buddy. Most of my race buddies have dropped off as well...but one remains a good sherpa...helping with the shlepping and cheering and such. It sounds like you may not be able to do this, but it is so helpful if you can walk/ride/drive  the event course beforehand so you know where you're going throughout the race and how transition is set up, etc. That will take a lot of the unease out of it if you have a chance...even before your camping trip-or possible when you pick up your packet.

Keep on practicing on that bike drinking! and I agree with Yanti-your swim is probably just about to breakthrough.

Holly

Thanks Holly & Yanti - I'm going to try and ride the bike course some time before the race.  I also like the idea of stopping by after I get my packet to check out transition.  I could certainly use anything that will help keep me calm.  I'll keep you posted on the bike drinking and my swim lessons.  

2011-04-26 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3466881

User image

Melon Presser
mackjenn - 2011-04-27 3:10 AM

Actually, I am hugely impressed with that picture!!! Nice work!

As for the second line ... OOOOH SNAP! Ouch!

2011-04-26 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3466961

User image

Melon Presser
mackjenn - 2011-04-27 3:31 AM

Thoughts on recovery:  I'm thinking of doing a practice Sprint Tri on May 15th - 3 weeks before the "Olympic" length Escape from Alcatraz (1.5 mile swim, 18 mile bike, 8 mile run) on June 5th.  Advantages:  Cold water OWS, able to test out transition and such during race conditions, and an opportunity to just work out bugs during a race before my 1st big one of the year.

Is this enough time to fully recover?  I then have another spring AFTER the excape (only 2 weeks between that one and the sprint, but I'm not concerned about that one since it was done as part of the Boulder Series).

as long as the Sprint on May 15 isn't crazy hard/offroad/hilly, that would actually be the perfect tune-up race for Escape. (Also here in Indonesia, it will be May16, which is my birthday, so it's a very fortuitous day, ha ha). Three weeks is tons of time to recover and actually reap the benefits of having done the sprint first.

You'll probably still be feeling Escape during the sprint after, but you never know. Two weeks is pretty good time for your body to build back up ...

Plus, you've been putting phenomenal training in, so you're really very well prepared.

Also, wait and see what Lynn says

I am the voice of endless possibility and adventure, Lynn is the voice of both dreams and actually doing it.

2011-04-26 5:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Does a swimmers snorkel serve a good training purpose or more of a not need item? I was thinking it might help work a better catch and pull, but also thought it would eliminate the roll and breathing technique/practice.
2011-04-26 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3467539

User image

Melon Presser

mackjenn - 2011-04-27 7:13 AM Does a swimmers snorkel serve a good training purpose or more of a not need item? I was thinking it might help work a better catch and pull, but also thought it would eliminate the roll and breathing technique/practice.

I am not a fan.

If there were any circumstances in which I'd use a snorkel (as a teaching aid for someone else), it would only be in very, very elementary stages of teaching the freestyle stroke ... honestly, probably not even then. (and you're way past that)

It's just that almost no part of the stroke occurs when you are flat as a board on the water. It's only a transition phase between rotations to either side.

I'd say you're better off isolating a catch-pull standing up in shallow water, but bent over at the hips at 90-degrees ish. You can still do a fair amount of 'rolling' from side to side that way as well as really feel the water in different positions with your hand/arm.

It just doesn't make much sense to learn catch-pull in the absence of any rotation--they are inherently linked.

2011-04-26 10:06 PM
in reply to: #3467619

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!
TriAya - 2011-04-26 7:04 PM

mackjenn - 2011-04-27 7:13 AM Does a swimmers snorkel serve a good training purpose or more of a not need item? I was thinking it might help work a better catch and pull, but also thought it would eliminate the roll and breathing technique/practice.

I am not a fan.

If there were any circumstances in which I'd use a snorkel (as a teaching aid for someone else), it would only be in very, very elementary stages of teaching the freestyle stroke ... honestly, probably not even then. (and you're way past that)

It's just that almost no part of the stroke occurs when you are flat as a board on the water. It's only a transition phase between rotations to either side.

I'd say you're better off isolating a catch-pull standing up in shallow water, but bent over at the hips at 90-degrees ish. You can still do a fair amount of 'rolling' from side to side that way as well as really feel the water in different positions with your hand/arm.

It just doesn't make much sense to learn catch-pull in the absence of any rotation--they are inherently linked.

It's a crime to snorkle anywhere but in clear, turquoise and emerald green waters with beautiful neon colored 'fishies ' smiling and dancing for you. I use Zoomers and contoured paddles to help me isolate CP to focus on it. I also use fulcrums to keep elbow high. Btw, beautiful cake! But stop blaming the kid. We know that's ur carb loading LOL
2011-04-26 11:19 PM
in reply to: #3467132

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
TriAya - 2011-04-26 1:23 PM
mackjenn - 2011-04-27 3:31 AM

as long as the Sprint on May 15 isn't crazy hard/offroad/hilly, that would actually be the perfect tune-up race for Escape. (Also here in Indonesia, it will be May16, which is my birthday, so it's a very fortuitous day, ha ha). Three weeks is tons of time to recover and actually reap the benefits of having done the sprint first.

You'll probably still be feeling Escape during the sprint after, but you never know. Two weeks is pretty good time for your body to build back up ...

Plus, you've been putting phenomenal training in, so you're really very well prepared.

Also, wait and see what Lynn says

I am the voice of endless possibility and adventure, Lynn is the voice of both dreams and actually doing it.

Well - Lynn, not too much you can say now - I signed up.  Nice to have another tri in PLUS it will be in cold water (Denver - May - brrr).  Really don't want my second full tri to be the escape.  Figure I can always take it easy, plus from my cycling years, I noticed I always came back stronger after a long hard ride (with some proper rest).   Hmmm...Just realized that is only 3 weeks away.  Guess I need to pick it up a bit.

Also - signed up for an open water swim this weekend!  Going to go to Bowles Resevoir opening day for another opportunity to do some cold water swimming.  With 2 swims I figure I could find out if that extra thick swim cap and booties would be required.  With the weather we are having, just hope there won't be any ice in the lake.

2011-04-26 11:32 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Guess what John? I think you made a good move. I agree with you about the sprint as a tune up for the cold water Alcatraz. One thing I'd say is to keep in mind the sprint is a "B" race (at least I'm assuming Alcatraz is your "A" race). So, its' for practicing all those little things -- transitions, especially and gets your body ready for a longer distance. You won't want to do a full taper before the sprint though. Just ease up on Wed. before the weekend event, but still do something and maybe take one day off. But from your description of rest days, it seems like NOT doing something isn't your issue. --- it's actually resting. Then, after your sprint, take a few days (two) to chill a bit and do some recovery swims and/or spin on the bike, but then jump right back into your training up to one week before your Oly. At least that's what I would do.

I did an oly 3 weeks before a HIM and they were C and B races respectively.

Hope that helps some.
2011-04-27 7:43 AM
in reply to: #3443578

Subject: RE: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: OPEN for YOU!
TriAya - 2011-04-12 11:14 PM
GraceVanOwen - 2011-04-13 12:06 PM

Hi,

I'd like to join.  I'm new here so excuse any confusion on my part.

A little about me-

My only race this year will be a sprint in June.  I've done this same race the last four years but this year I'm really training hard for it, really trying to pay attention and really wanting to win my catagory.  I'm a lawyer and a single parent to two kids (7 and 1) so my training time is very limited (and with the cost of babysitters- expensive).  Hopeing to learn a few tricks of the trade since I won't be trading up to a nice new tri bike anytime soon.

Hi Grace! No confusion; you're here, you introduced yourself, you belong. Welcome to the Manatees and to BT!

What kind of a training plan are you using?

I'm back... and I've caught up reading all 11 pages.  Guess I didn't realize that I should be checking in more often.

I did a 5k last week gearing up for a B sprint on May 7th and my A sprint on June 5.  I'm doing a training program  off trainingpeaks.  It's just  frustrating that I change it all the time due to my crazy life.

I have gotten a lot of info here- from bras to pedals.  Thanks for all the insight.

2011-04-27 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3468392

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: OPEN for YOU!
GraceVanOwen - 2011-04-27 9:43 PM
TriAya - 2011-04-12 11:14 PM
GraceVanOwen - 2011-04-13 12:06 PM

Hi,

I'd like to join.  I'm new here so excuse any confusion on my part.

A little about me-

My only race this year will be a sprint in June.  I've done this same race the last four years but this year I'm really training hard for it, really trying to pay attention and really wanting to win my catagory.  I'm a lawyer and a single parent to two kids (7 and 1) so my training time is very limited (and with the cost of babysitters- expensive).  Hopeing to learn a few tricks of the trade since I won't be trading up to a nice new tri bike anytime soon.

Hi Grace! No confusion; you're here, you introduced yourself, you belong. Welcome to the Manatees and to BT!

What kind of a training plan are you using?

I'm back... and I've caught up reading all 11 pages.  Guess I didn't realize that I should be checking in more often.

I did a 5k last week gearing up for a B sprint on May 7th and my A sprint on June 5.  I'm doing a training program  off trainingpeaks.  It's just  frustrating that I change it all the time due to my crazy life.

I have gotten a lot of info here- from bras to pedals.  Thanks for all the insight.

Not at all. We love it when you're here, but the Manatees understand 'crazy life' so just check in when you can, no need to read everything, feel free to jump in wherever

But thou shalt log thy workouts.

2011-04-27 2:15 PM

Charlotte, North Carolina
Hi all, noobie writing again! Hahah. Just trying to keep up with yalls posts.. What is an "A sprint" a "B sprint" and a "C sprint"??Yesterday was my birthday and I got a new bike computer, hr monitor, and tri suit!! Woohooo! I feel a little more legit. I'm trying out the bike computer and hr monitor today on my bike ride i also got a little backpack that I can carry things in.. Do you guys bring these into the transition area?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti and Lynn, Mentors of the Manatee Melee: FULL Rss Feed  

of 43