User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Two Week Test
jdiis - 2011-05-07 3:49 PM
evillarroel - 2011-04-30 6:12 PM
jdiis - 2011-04-30 2:08 PM

Ernesto,

I'm on day 6 of the Two Week Test.  I've been dehydrated, very thirsty.  I have also had headaches and leg cramps and felt a little out of sorts.  I've read that those can be side effects.  Was that your experience also?

Not feeling fully functional, I've backed way off of training and tried to keep everything very aerobic.  My bike ride today was a little bit of an exception to the aerobic training.

Just looking for a little boost from you rather than sugar Wink.

The two week test by Maffettone will make you feel weak for a while, until your body actually makes the switch to fats for fuel. It will take less than two weeks but you might feel like crap for a few days. That is actually good news, it means you're carb dependent.

Keep in mind that carbs are not from hell, we need them and a lot, this is just a test and take it for what it is. Good carbs are the fuel for your exercise in conjunction with fat glycolisis.

Day 13 of test.  Need confirmation of my interpretation of my bike rides before and during test:

DateMiMPHAvHRMaxHRCal
4/0933.0811.21611741070
4/1630.3210.91431561003
4/2337.6912.61541781420
4/3033.3311.21501721083
5/0730.5011.01391632419

The last two were during day 6 and day 13 of the two-week test.  The last one was almost effortless and I burned twice as many calories.  I'm guessing I have hit the fat stores, is that correct?  I have lost 5 pounds and most of it in my belly (yea!). 

Tomorrow is the last day of the test.  I'm hoping that when I re-introduce good carbs, that my leg cramps, headaches and fatigue (very abnormal for me) will go away.

Many factors will play into your workouts so I wouldn't rely on five workouts over such a short period to measure evolution. I would rather use perception, long term data will back it up later. One other good thing is the weight loss, that is all unnecessary fats that do nothing but slow you down.

When you start putting good carbs back in the diet you will feel strong and eager to go fast(er). DO IT. Allow yourself to venture more into some intense interval sessions and leave the long and easy stuff for the weekends.

2011-05-08 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Maple Grove, MN
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED

Hey all.  Did my warmup 5k.  Ran it as a real race.  21:12 to run 3.14 miles according to my Garmin.  Running 5k (3.11 miles) at 21:12 is a pace of 6:49, which is pretty much the pace I was pushing for (6:50).  

Splits were 6:46, 6:53, 6:42 and last little part at a 5:51 pace.   The 6:46 pace for the first mile is where I add 5 seconds to my Garmin's 6:41 due to an autopause (next time turn it off!).   

Beautiful day.  Huge number of people.  

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84273270

Edited by older2533 2011-05-08 10:40 AM
2011-05-08 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

I Went to an Open Water Swim Clinic yesterday.  Since I am still so insecure about the water portion I wanted some pointers plus an opportunity to swim the race distance out side of the pool.  I was a great lesson.  I realized how weak my sighting is for one.  Since I don't do bilateral breathing I pulled to my right but I knew that.  What was one of the Greatest thing though is how you mentioned working one completing my pull on the left.  

I remembered you saying I'm stroking but not moving.  I realized yesterday...I don't PULL.  I had been moving my hands through the water but not pulling myself through the water.  What a difference!  Maybe not in this race but training for the next will be different.  

We rode the bike coarse and I'm worried.  Tons of larger hills that I'm not used to.  It killed me and it took me40 minutes to ride 9 miles...  Any hill suggestions?  I loaded the course in my garmin connect and have the link in my BT log.  we will actually start the race frome the opposite side from where I started yesterday.  

Thanks Jen 

2011-05-08 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3487721

User image

Master
Dallas
older2533 - 2011-05-08 10:37 AM

Hey all.  Did my warmup 5k.  Ran it as a real race.  21:12 to run 3.14 miles according to my Garmin.  Running 5k (3.11 miles) at 21:12 is a pace of 6:49, which is pretty much the pace I was pushing for (6:50).  

Splits were 6:46, 6:53, 6:42 and last little part at a 5:51 pace.   The 6:46 pace for the first mile is where I add 5 seconds to my Garmin's 6:41 due to an autopause (next time turn it off!).   

Beautiful day.  Huge number of people.  

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84273270

That is very impressive, I guarantee that you'll break 1:40 by far next weekend Chris. I like the pacing and the final kick. Very well executed!
2011-05-08 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3487731

User image

Master
Dallas
jenputnam - 2011-05-08 10:47 AM

I Went to an Open Water Swim Clinic yesterday.  Since I am still so insecure about the water portion I wanted some pointers plus an opportunity to swim the race distance out side of the pool.  I was a great lesson.  I realized how weak my sighting is for one.  Since I don't do bilateral breathing I pulled to my right but I knew that.  What was one of the Greatest thing though is how you mentioned working one completing my pull on the left.  

I remembered you saying I'm stroking but not moving.  I realized yesterday...I don't PULL.  I had been moving my hands through the water but not pulling myself through the water.  What a difference!  Maybe not in this race but training for the next will be different.  

We rode the bike coarse and I'm worried.  Tons of larger hills that I'm not used to.  It killed me and it took me40 minutes to ride 9 miles...  Any hill suggestions?  I loaded the course in my garmin connect and have the link in my BT log.  we will actually start the race frome the opposite side from where I started yesterday.  

Thanks Jen 

About the hills, the best way is to take it easy while going up (by shifting the gears up). My other suggestion might sound stupid but you need... hill training. Nothing teaches the body like proficiency.

I'm glad you're having this breakthroughs while swimming, stay consistent and you will learn to love the water. Nothing motivates more than little successes.

2011-05-08 9:16 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

I've been fighting a lot of burnout this past week, I want to think this is just my body trying to catch up after the big block of training that I did for Ironman Texas. Wondering now if I'll loose fitness, but I'd much rather err on the side of being rested and undertrained than overtrained and tired. My mind wants to get over this race too, work is incredibly complicated these last few days and it will stay the same until Friday, so hoping that between the 14th and the 20th I'll get enough rest and relaxation to go to the race with a full tank of energies and mentally positive... Just venting here.

2011-05-08 9:38 PM
in reply to: #3488407

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

We are here just as much for you, as you are for us.  Seeing someone we turn to have less than perfect weeks and than come through them, lets us know that we too will have rough patches but we will also get through them.  

We are here for ya! 

2011-05-08 9:50 PM

User image

Regular
evillarroel - 2011-05-08 10:16 PM

I've been fighting a lot of burnout this past week, I want to think this is just my body trying to catch up after the big block of training that I did for Ironman Texas. Wondering now if I'll loose fitness, but I'd much rather err on the side of being rested and undertrained than overtrained and tired. My mind wants to get over this race too, work is incredibly complicated these last few days and it will stay the same until Friday, so hoping that between the 14th and the 20th I'll get enough rest and relaxation to go to the race with a full tank of energies and mentally positive... Just venting here.

Ernesto, folks like you are an inspiration and role models to me. Work, family and then that insane amount year-around training for tackling multiple IM/HIM races in an year. Quite frankly, I can't even comprehend the physical and mental stress. Sometimes I wonder if Craig Alexander has it easier.... he doesn't have a 50-60hr work week plus the training.

You'll rock. Just try to get some pictures and don't forget the writeup. Wink

2011-05-08 10:59 PM
in reply to: #3479034

New user

Subject: Ironman Mark

Congratulations Mark!!

I am from Wauchope and watched the Ironman .... You guys really are superheroes in sweaty lycra!!!

I am so impressed

Sharyn

2011-05-08 11:18 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN
evillarroel - 2011-05-08 9:16 PM

Ernesto,Kind of glad to see that even people with times like yours can get discouraged. It just means you are sane. Looking forward to seeing your ironman Texas results. I'm sure you'll do great.Chris(btw, when you post from an iPad on this board, you don't get any line returns.)

Edited by older2533 2011-05-08 11:19 PM
2011-05-08 11:23 PM
in reply to: #3488445

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
jenputnam - 2011-05-08 9:38 PM

We are here just as much for you, as you are for us.  Seeing someone we turn to have less than perfect weeks and than come through them, lets us know that we too will have rough patches but we will also get through them.  

We are here for ya! 

Well said.  +1 here.  As I recall, it seemed to be this way for you for PR.

Edited by jdiis 2011-05-08 11:24 PM

2011-05-08 11:26 PM
in reply to: #3475582

New user

Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - OPEN

Hi Ernesto,

I am looking at starting tri's. I am a 39yr old single mum with 3 school age children, that I have every 2nd week. I have always maintained a basic level of fitness but am now ready for a bit more challenge. I live near Port Macquarie and have been inspired on an annual basis by those awesome Ironmen and women .

I have been gradually extending my runs but still only do around 3-4 kms (not sure mileage). I cycle once or twice a week (15km/session) and am not so hot in the pool. Crosstrainer 10km twice a week. 

Since I started to consistently run, I have been getting sore knees...and a sore lower back. I would really like to get on top of these so any hints/suggestions would be really appreciated!!

I have looked at other posts and will look into purchasing a Garmin too. As for everything else, I am still trying to work out the links etc included on the website so bare with me!!!

Sharyn

2011-05-09 7:13 AM
in reply to: #3488534

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - OPEN
sharrylouise - 2011-05-08 11:26 PM

Hi Ernesto,

I am looking at starting tri's. I am a 39yr old single mum with 3 school age children, that I have every 2nd week. I have always maintained a basic level of fitness but am now ready for a bit more challenge. I live near Port Macquarie and have been inspired on an annual basis by those awesome Ironmen and women .

I have been gradually extending my runs but still only do around 3-4 kms (not sure mileage). I cycle once or twice a week (15km/session) and am not so hot in the pool. Crosstrainer 10km twice a week. 

Since I started to consistently run, I have been getting sore knees...and a sore lower back. I would really like to get on top of these so any hints/suggestions would be really appreciated!!

I have looked at other posts and will look into purchasing a Garmin too. As for everything else, I am still trying to work out the links etc included on the website so bare with me!!!

Sharyn

Red flags Sharyn! sore lower back and knees could mean two things: you're increasing mileage too quickly and/or your shoes are not the right fit. Pay close attention to your body, once injury is onset there's very little you can do except quit running altogether.

Try to get a Garmin 305 or similar, it is a great little tool.

2011-05-09 8:34 AM

User image

Master

A week ago Sunday during a 10 mile run I experienced sharp pain in my right knee when pushing off.  It was immediately following a downhill portion.  I stopped running and walked a tenth of a mile (no pain when walking).  Pain felt like it was just south of the patela.  I was able to begin running again and finished the run (four more miles at that point).

I ran some last week but experienced pain every once in a while so I started to wear a soft brace that I think helped a bit.  It seems like the pain is very apparent when putting lateral force on the knee.  Other times it presents like when carrying a basket of clean clothes up the stairs.  The pain is definitely intermittent and has not presenetd itself but 2 or 3 times a day.

I have iced it a bit and taken some ibuprofen - both of which seem to help.  I decided yesterday morning to skip my 12 mile planned run due to thinking the rest would be better than any fitness gains from that one long run.

My question is what I should do going forward.  I am one month out from a half marathon so I am hoping to not take a week off.  If anyone has any experience ith similar pain any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Edited by dangremond 2011-05-09 9:53 AM
2011-05-09 8:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Hang in there Ernesto. If anyone can work through this, you can. As everyone else said we're all pulling for you.

2011-05-09 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3486386

User image

Regular
Mexico

I live in Mexico City and I agree it's a beatifull city, some times the news overestimate the reality, I´m not saying It´s not dangerous in some areas , but any big city it is.

I'll definitely visiting Guatemala again and for sure I'll let You know, Thank You.

2011-05-09 9:28 AM

User image

Regular
Mexico

I agree with everyone here, if anyone can do it, that one is you,
but we are also  here for You, I´m pretty sure You will do great in your Ironman

2011-05-09 3:23 PM
in reply to: #3488524

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Subject: RE: Ironman Mark
sharrylouise - 2011-05-08 10:59 PM

Congratulations Mark!!

I am from Wauchope and watched the Ironman .... You guys really are superheroes in sweaty lycra!!!

I am so impressed

Sharyn

Thanks Sharyn!

Lycra tights, helmets, glow sticks - it all says: superhero!!!

Welcome to BT, btw. Without the support of people on this site there would be no superheros.

2011-05-09 3:28 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.

This could be just work related Ernesto. The mind is fighting two serious assignments and trying to eliminate one to do better job at the other. In less than two weeks you probably won't lose any fitness at all, it will just feel that way.

2011-05-09 5:34 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala
evillarroel - 2011-05-08 8:16 PM

Ernesto,

We are confident that you will do very well on your race, especially with your ability to balance multiple priorities, actual experience (previous IM's successfully completed!) and ability to measure/interpret/react to key data relevant to achieving optimal levels of training. So just relax and don't let work/other demands affect your motivation for the upcoming Texas IM.

On a separate note, I was able to complete my first Oly tri yesterday and it was tougher than I expected due to the high temperatures/humidity we experienced (97F at the beginning of my bike leg), but as I was going through it I kept remembering your comments about pacing and making sure to have fun, which helped me to remain calm and make it to the finish line with a smile.  So same comments for you, don't forget to pace yourself and to have fun!!!

Animos amigo and we will be looking forward to your post race report and good stories!

Gabriel

2011-05-09 7:28 PM

mothers day at the beach with wife and kids. did a couple nice long swims worked on stroke, tried zip drills (makes sense). Then shark scare! someone saw a shark and they emptied the water any one run in to this!!!

2011-05-09 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3490215

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-05-09 5:34 PM
evillarroel - 2011-05-08 8:16 PM

Ernesto,

We are confident that you will do very well on your race, especially with your ability to balance multiple priorities, actual experience (previous IM's successfully completed!) and ability to measure/interpret/react to key data relevant to achieving optimal levels of training. So just relax and don't let work/other demands affect your motivation for the upcoming Texas IM.

On a separate note, I was able to complete my first Oly tri yesterday and it was tougher than I expected due to the high temperatures/humidity we experienced (97F at the beginning of my bike leg), but as I was going through it I kept remembering your comments about pacing and making sure to have fun, which helped me to remain calm and make it to the finish line with a smile.  So same comments for you, don't forget to pace yourself and to have fun!!!

Animos amigo and we will be looking forward to your post race report and good stories!

Gabriel

Gabriel,

Gracias por los animos!

I'm really glad you completed your first Olympic distance! Isn't it great? I love Olys, they are very challenging because they are a fine line between going hard and pacing. I looked at your graphs, the race seems well executed maybe coming out of T2 a little easier would've paid off at the end but overall you did great! Thanks for the good wishes, hopefully I'll get over this little dip soon and race IM Texas in good fashion.

Keep the good work, and work more on your base, I'm convinced that after you slow down, you will race very very fast. 

2011-05-09 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3490395

User image

Master
Dallas
bbreezer1 - 2011-05-09 7:28 PM

mothers day at the beach with wife and kids. did a couple nice long swims worked on stroke, tried zip drills (makes sense). Then shark scare! someone saw a shark and they emptied the water any one run in to this!!!

It never happened to me but I know it would scare the $#!+ out of me! I saw some fish in Puerto Rico while racing and I was hoping not to see something really big and teethy.
2011-05-09 8:29 PM
in reply to: #3490395

User image

Regular
Mexico
bbreezer1 - 2011-05-09 7:28 PM

The beauty of triathlon! you're swimming, then somebody sees a shark and suddenly it's bike time or running!
2011-05-09 10:18 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Hey if anybody wants to befriend me on Facebook you can find me under [email protected] or Ernesto Villarroel in Dallas, TX.I'd love to see what all of you look like, BT pics are very small.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84