BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-05-17 8:48 PM
in reply to: #3505008

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED

gator22 - 2011-05-17 5:42 PM Ok.....what is ART???

http://www.activerelease.com/ Stands for Active Release Technique. It can be kind of painful. But basically they break down your scar tissue using a rather painful message type action.  It has been really successful for people that have tried it. 

2011-05-17 8:53 PM
in reply to: #3505114

User image

Expert
Sounds like it. But hey, whatever works right?
2011-05-18 10:56 PM
in reply to: #3441467

User image

I think there are several similar techniques that accomplish a similar goal of breaking down scar tissue.  ASTYM uses these torture tools that look like a big flat acrylic ice cream spoon and a sharp tool that look like somthing you use in the corner to spread calking in your bathroom.  It is VERY painful and at times I was biting the towel on the table.  The are attempting to take tissue that has been pulled, torn, strained and not healed properly and now has scarred into knots. They scrape, rub, dig on the really sore areas and it usually bruises the next day. 

I was wondering if it was worth the pain but it seems to be helping.  I went from running a 3:30 marathon last fall to not even being able to run 1 mile and now finally ran 6 last night at a modest 8 ish minute pace. 

The sticks, rollers and compression seems to help also.  I was never a really big static stretcher before running (only dynamic things like lunges) but I have gone against that trend and really stretching the calves prior to a run now.

Getting old really sucks to have to worry about all of this stuff!

2011-05-19 9:51 AM

User image

Los Angeles
Sitting at LAX. Flight was cancelled. United sucks! Anyways I should arrive to Fargo later tonight. I'm running 5k tomorrow night and then the 1/2 marathon on saturday. Have a nice rest of the weekend
2011-05-19 1:58 PM

User image

The ART I go to (not really ART because he doesn't have the "cert" so apparently he can't call it that....) is basically deep tissue work with movement.  So for a calf, he will start at the bottom with my leg bent, and as I slowly straighten it, he works up towards the top of the calf.

It's worked well for me.

Otherwise, I am not sure what's going on this week as I am super super tired.  I guess I am still recovering from the half?  Maybe.  I ran a 2:15, and my longest run had been a 1:25 or so, so it was a significant jump.  Just feel like I have no mojo.  Pretty sure it's not getting sick.

Will swim tonight with a run after.  Tomorrow I am going to Solvang to visit family and watch the Tour of Cal. time trial, so maybe get a run in.

2011-05-19 5:49 PM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
I need the weather to change here, where did the sun go? Pool and run laps indoors tonight. Hopefully, a long ride on Sat!

2011-05-20 7:39 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Hey gang, sorry I've been MIA but I am freshly unemployed after a few months of work hell (yay!) Monday being my last day and then I was sick for 3 days. I did a nice 10 mile bike ride and a quick ocean swim on Tuesday before I slept for a couple days.

Good form run this morning... Chi-running has helped with foot and calf issues. Abs tight and picking up the floppy feet!

I also have a Rolfer - I recommend it if you can find one. Painful yes, but sets me free from all my fascia tightness issues. The foam roller and The Stick help too. Hey I'm old.

Still hoping to do my first Tri this summer.

Love reading all the posts and while you all seem rather advanced, I appreciate the learning opportunities. Another 5k tomorrow.

Cheers!
2011-05-20 8:28 AM
in reply to: #3509482

User image

Expert
Boston

stephsprint - 2011-05-20 8:39 AM Hey gang, sorry I've been MIA but I am freshly unemployed after a few months of work hell (yay!) Monday being my last day and then I was sick for 3 days. I did a nice 10 mile bike ride and a quick ocean swim on Tuesday before I slept for a couple days. Good form run this morning... Chi-running has helped with foot and calf issues. Abs tight and picking up the floppy feet! I also have a Rolfer - I recommend it if you can find one. Painful yes, but sets me free from all my fascia tightness issues. The foam roller and The Stick help too. Hey I'm old. Still hoping to do my first Tri this summer. Love reading all the posts and while you all seem rather advanced, I appreciate the learning opportunities. Another 5k tomorrow. Cheers!

I have been unemployed since Oct and I am loving it.   I hope you get to collect..that seems key to enjoyment.  Now you can train to you hearts content.    I too have changed up my run form because of calf and archille issues.  What a life saver!  I am starting to run longer, pain free!

Go ahead and register for that first tri - nothing like committment to get your butt moving!  I know you can do it!

2011-05-20 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3501341

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Seren - 2011-05-16 10:35 AM

Thanks guys!  I was afraid it was something like that.   When I bought the 310XT I wasn't sure exactly what I would need but it looked like the best out there.....Thanks god for websites that give grades for hills!

Everyone have a great week!

I love my 310XT but then again, I live in Miami...so...no real elevation changes!
2011-05-21 1:49 PM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
Glad the sun came out today. Managed to get all my weekly bike miles in today, went for almost a 64 mile ride. Now off to my plumbing project in the basement.
2011-05-21 4:25 PM

User image

Los Angeles

Had a great weekend....ran with my family this weekend in a 5k on Fri night and 1/2 marathon today.  My 14 yr old cousin outsprinted  me in the 5k and I made sure to beat my 47 yr old cousin in the half marathon.  I did neither race for time, it was quality time spent and just ran.  I love that.  Hope all have had a nice weekend!

2011-05-22 8:09 AM

User image

Expert
Boston

hi everyone!  Had another amazing week...not as good as the week before but still pretty amazing!  Lots of hill repeats on the bike - 50 miles yesterday..the longest Ive gone.   My run form is really starting to come together!   I am about to go out for a 50 min run now.    Rode out to Walden Pond yesterday and watched the triathletes swimming.  Wish I had brought my goggles with me.  Maybe next time. But I think its time to start swimming again.   But where to fit it in the schedule?  Its not like I have a triathlon coming up...oh wait....Aug 6...I am doing the swimming portion for our relay team..... 

Well thats all my thoughts for now.   Have a great training week ahead!

2011-05-22 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3511539

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
bad91 - 2011-05-21 5:25 PM

Had a great weekend....ran with my family this weekend in a 5k on Fri night and 1/2 marathon today.  My 14 yr old cousin outsprinted  me in the 5k and I made sure to beat my 47 yr old cousin in the half marathon.  I did neither race for time, it was quality time spent and just ran.  I love that.  Hope all have had a nice weekend!

That sounds SO nice! One of my goals is to not be beaten by junior high kids in 5ks. ;-)

I had a 5k PR yesterday. 38:32... plug plug plug...
2011-05-22 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3512067

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Seren - 2011-05-22 9:09 AM

hi everyone!  Had another amazing week...not as good as the week before but still pretty amazing!  Lots of hill repeats on the bike - 50 miles yesterday..the longest Ive gone.   My run form is really starting to come together!   I am about to go out for a 50 min run now.    Rode out to Walden Pond yesterday and watched the triathletes swimming.  Wish I had brought my goggles with me.  Maybe next time. But I think its time to start swimming again.   But where to fit it in the schedule?  Its not like I have a triathlon coming up...oh wait....Aug 6...I am doing the swimming portion for our relay team..... 

Well thats all my thoughts for now.   Have a great training week ahead!

I'd trade you Miami beach for some hills... but not for too long.

good luck with the swimming!
2011-05-22 1:23 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

So I volunteered with my tri club at a local race here.  OMG, so funny.  I was stationed at the dismount line so I also got to see the transitions.  Being experienced already I saw so much of what not to do so I thought I would share.  But, it's a lot of first timers so at least they are out there and that's all that counts. 

But, one, practice coming off the bike.  It doesn't matter how you do it, stop and swing your leg over, flying dismount, feet out of shoes, it doesn't matter, practice it.  I saw a lot of people falling over cause they couldn't get their leg over their bike.  Lots of folks trying to get their feet out of their shoes and losing so much time in the attempt (and then not succeeding in the end).  Lost shoes, etc.  I saw a few contemplate doing a flying dismount and thought better and went for the regular stop and get off method.  Wise choice.  You really need to be confidant if your going to use that method.

Also, keep your transition area simple.  I saw people with so much stuff in there.  It was crazy.  It's going to slow you down.  Just keep in there what you need.  You could also put a sweater or something in there in a small bag but then get it out of the way.  You do not need a big huge mat. 

Also, practice your transitions.  It's free time.  Figure out what works well for you.  Ideally you will run from the swim to the bike and from the bike to the run, but even if you don't, be fluid in your transition.  Practice doing it not sitting down.  If you can be standing up putting your shoes on you will save time.  On you way out the run is when you put your run number on and hat, etc.  Not standing there.  Free time. 

Of course the most important thing is to just get out there and have fun.  Enjoy the day.

2011-05-22 4:48 PM
in reply to: #3494370

User image

Veteran
Maryland

bad91 - 2011-05-11 5:51 PM 103.1 miles today. Philly to Baltimore. Tons of rolling hills. I feel good enuf to go to the Oriole game. Tomorrow, Baltimore to DC.

Yay! Hope you enjoyed visiting my neck of the woods!

2011-05-22 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3502547

User image

Veteran
Maryland

ChrisM - 2011-05-16 6:29 PM What's happened to all the newbies?  I know mike's checked in.....  anyone else?  helena? lisa?  Anyone planned a race yet?

The tri I wanted to do in July was cancelled! I was so bummed, it was right here in my home town. Oh well, the swim was a little long for my first one. Now I'm shooting for one in August.

2011-05-22 7:29 PM
in reply to: #3512240

User image

Veteran
Maryland
stephsprint - 2011-05-22 1:13 PM
bad91 - 2011-05-21 5:25 PM

That sounds SO nice! One of my goals is to not be beaten by junior high kids in 5ks. ;-) I had a 5k PR yesterday. 38:32... plug plug plug...

Congrats on the PR!

2011-05-22 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3512309

User image

Veteran
Maryland

I volunteered at my first tri last weekend. They had me help out with the finish line collecting chips. They had *plenty* of volunteers so I really didn't do much until after the race and helped with clean up.

One thing I noticed was the bike "racks". On TV, you always see them taking their bike off the rack, so that's what I was expecting to see, but that's not what they had. They had wooden bike racks on the ground. There was two pieces of wood that was about the width of a skinny tire that the people put their bikes in. I looked around and saw that everyone seemed to have the skinny tires. My bike is a hybrid with fat tires. The part that makes contact with the street is smooth, the edges are a little jagged like a mountain bike tire. I hadn't planned on getting new tires for my first tri. Even in this set up, I think I could set my bike to one side of where the skinny tire was to go and hopefully could still use the kick stand to support my bike.

Then I was wondering if people wore socks when they ran. I saw lots of people wearing socks as they came thru the finish line and wondered how they put them on after the swim, because your feet will be a bit wet after the swim, even if you do dry them off. I do have a five gallon bucket I could use to sit on to do this, assuming there was room. Then I was reading someone else's post saying you should stand when you put your shoes on. Seems you could do it faster sitting down? Dry off feet, put on socks, put on shoes??

Then, I wear glasses, so I was thinking I'm going to have to get contacts because I won't want to mess with them during the transitions. I've worn contacts before years ago, so I have some experience with them so it wouldn't be something completely new, just another expense. Oh the joy!

2011-05-22 7:59 PM
in reply to: #3512799

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Ran my first 5K of the year this morning. Man do I need to get running again!
2011-05-22 8:04 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

Socks is an individual thing.  I don't wear them, unless it is is a HIM, and even then only on the run.  But, what a lot of people do is not wear socks on the bike and put them on for the run.  If your going to wear the same set of shoes you'll not want to do that of course.  But there are tricks you can use to get them on faster over wet feet.  Again...practice is key.  You can roll your socks up so that your basically rolling them on to your feet instead of pulling them on.  Some people use baby powder in them to make it easier.

Bike racks are typically the ones you put your bike on like your use to seeing but there are a fair number of races like the ones you saw during the race you volunteered at

2011-05-22 8:06 PM

Regular
Indiana

I think someone mentioned riding hills to get better on hills and gain power for those tough hill climbs. I have to say that getting out to ride hills more often is a great idea to become stronger and more efficient on hilly rides.

I would also like to add another solution to becoming more efficient and increase your power on hills. The solution is to suggest that  you mountain bike once in a while. I have tried adding this to my routine and have found a substantial increase on my power and endurance. Of course you have to push it a bit, but the dividends pay off big.

On thing worth mentioning is that you will need to be careful because one fall could knock you out of the rest of the years triathlons. I am curious if anyone else has tried this?

2011-05-23 5:13 AM
in reply to: #3512817

User image

Expert
Sounds like a good idea. I have taken some trail rides around with some pretty experienced guys and they kicked my butt.  A lot of it was technique though....
2011-05-23 11:08 AM

User image

Los Angeles
I also use my mountain bike on some road training rides. Especially, on some hills.
2011-05-23 12:05 PM

User image

Hey guys, sorry been out of pocket a bit.  Work was busy last week, and took Friday off to go up to SOlvang to watch the Tour of Calif. and visit local family, drove back Saturday and rode, Sunday was a fairly big day.  Did a swim charity event in the a.m.  They're raising money to teach kids how to swim, people swam 28 minute intervals 5 am to midnight, trying to get from LA to NY.  Swam 2 legs, 3900 yards, then two friends and I ran 10 from the pool.  Was pretty wiped yesterday afternoon...

Socks - If you practice without socks, fine.  Don't do it in a race though.  I will usually cycle without socks then put them on before the run.  Like most, things, it's a personal preference.

Mountain biking - no DOUBT it will make you not only a stronger cyclist, but it will improve your bike handling skills.  I just can't keep the darn thing upright.  I fall a couple times a ride.  I have a bike, and access to some good trails, and don't do it near as much as I should

Hope everyone has a good week. I am here until Thursday then heading to New Orleans for a long weekend, so won't be around next weekend

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20