General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2011-12-18 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3556416

Subject: Website typo?
I was browsing around official Ironman St George website and looking at bike course. Pretty sure it's supposed to be 2 loops, right? If you click on the map for the bike course on the left hand side above the step by step directions it says: 112 miles "3 loops"New change from last year? Or typo?Anyone know?

2011-12-18 10:31 PM

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Ironman St. George : Official Thread
Hey, I was in St. George this weekend too. The winds through Gunlock and Veyo were brutal. It made The Wall seem like a cooldown. Any experience with the wind through these towns in May? Also, I've been starting my ride at Sand Hollow, which I find smart because there are o e or two hills that should not be overlooked, although they do t represent the long steady climbs of the loops. Regarding the three loops, there are two on the bike. They changed the run course entirely and the new course has three instead of two loops.
2011-12-19 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3943400

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
slctri - 2011-12-18 10:31 PM

Hey, I was in St. George this weekend too. The winds through Gunlock and Veyo were brutal. It made The Wall seem like a cooldown. Any experience with the wind through these towns in May? Also, I've been starting my ride at Sand Hollow, which I find smart because there are o e or two hills that should not be overlooked, although they do t represent the long steady climbs of the loops. Regarding the three loops, there are two on the bike. They changed the run course entirely and the new course has three instead of two loops.

The wind in May is unpredictable. In 2010, the Wednesday before race day brought a massive wind storm-think when running that moment when both feet are off the ground and the wind moves you over a bit. The next day it was gone. Race morning there was barely a breeze, the wind came up a bit in the afternoon as it usually does, but nothing like the Wednesday before.
2011-12-19 11:48 AM

User image

carlsbad
We know the run course was changed to 3loops.  We also know the bike course is supposed to be two loops.  However, If you check the website it clearly states 3loop bike.  I'm guessing its a typo but wondering if anyone has any new scoop?
2011-12-20 2:57 PM
in reply to: #3943837

User image

Veteran
Dallas

LittleCat - 2011-12-19 9:46 AM
slctri - 2011-12-18 10:31 PM Hey, I was in St. George this weekend too. The winds through Gunlock and Veyo were brutal. It made The Wall seem like a cooldown. Any experience with the wind through these towns in May? Also, I've been starting my ride at Sand Hollow, which I find smart because there are o e or two hills that should not be overlooked, although they do t represent the long steady climbs of the loops. Regarding the three loops, there are two on the bike. They changed the run course entirely and the new course has three instead of two loops.
The wind in May is unpredictable. In 2010, the Wednesday before race day brought a massive wind storm-think when running that moment when both feet are off the ground and the wind moves you over a bit. The next day it was gone. Race morning there was barely a breeze, the wind came up a bit in the afternoon as it usually does, but nothing like the Wednesday before.

Just a word of warning.  When I do a race the conditions are terrible.  I'm anticipating the worst.  I want to fly to Vegas next month and drive over and do a quick loop or two. 

2011-12-21 4:22 AM

User image

Veteran

i see that times are slower due to the hard course if your a 12hr finsher on a flat course what saught of ball park would you say for a stgeorge finsh

2011-12-21 12:59 PM
in reply to: #3947277

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
thecouch - 2011-12-21 3:22 AM

i see that times are slower due to the hard course if your a 12hr finsher on a flat course what saught of ball park would you say for a stgeorge finsh

I think in general it would be fair to add 40-60min for an IMSG finishing time vs. other IM races based on the results of friends I have seen.
2011-12-21 7:37 PM

User image

carlsbad
even with the new run course?
2011-12-23 1:31 PM
in reply to: #3942802

User image

Veteran
Heber City, UT/San Carlos, Mexico

PbMan - 2011-12-18 9:01 AMHey Glenn, enjoyed fighting the wind with you up through Gunlock and in to Veyo. Hope the mountain bike ride was a wee bit calmer and warmer. Dan.

Hey Pbman! Thanks for the ride info and tips.

I got a little cold on the way back to St George.
Shifted gears and decided to make it a "Brick" day instead; went for a trail run up at the Barrel Roll. WAY more fun.
I'll do the double looper when I come back thru in March.

That headwind man... I hope on race day its a little more forgiving.

2011-12-28 10:23 PM

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah

I'm thinking of renting wheels and was wondering if anyone has experience with renting. This is my first Ironman and I'm just a tad nervous to try something new (I'm plenty nervous on several other levels as it is). There is Ironwheels.com and racedaywheels.com. I'd appreciate any feedback on the different companies and also a suggestion on the choice of wheels (thinking 808 front and back, but that is a beginner talking, 'essentially throwing a dart at a dart board').

One last thing (for now, I'm sure) .... earlier in the thread it seems alot of people are swapping out their cassettes.... is a 25-11 too aggressive? (From what I gather bryancd may be the goto guy on these questions) Any help would be nice.

2011-12-29 11:19 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
My coach has posted the info regarding the Jan. IMSG Training Camp. All are welcome!

On Monday, December 26, 2011, Nick Goodman wrote:
> If you are looking for a quick get away and a fun training camp please join us for the January St. George Training Camp.  We will be training on the Ironman St George race course, which is very beautiful.  This camp is not only for those doing Ironman in May but anyone can, and is encouraged, to attend.  Details below.
>  
> When: January 27-28, 2012
> Where:  Meet at The Multisport Training Center on Friday to leave by 7AM.  We will be car pooling and Durapulse will be providing the vehicles.  The drive to St. George takes about 6 hours.  Bring a lunch for yourself and some snacks.  We may stop but there are few places along the way.  We will stop by Sand Hollow Reservoir on the way to the hotel to view the Ironman swim course.  We will not be swimming in the lake at this camp as the water is too cold.
>  
> I have reserved some rooms at the Best Western Coral Hills in St. George.  The hotel is right by the T2 and the finish line.  The rate is $56/night and you have until January 13th to reserve your room to get this rate.  Their phone number is (435) 673-4844.  Mention that you are with the Durapulse group. 
>  
> After check in at the hotel the group will run 8-12 miles of the Ironman run course.  Immediately following the run we will drive to the indoor community pool for a 45 min swim session. Water slide is optional.  After the swim we will eat dinner at a local pizza restaurant.
>  
> Saturday will consist of riding one loop of the Ironman bike course (43 miles) followed by a short transition run.  After the bike/run we will have lunch and be in the car by 2PM to drive back to Phoenix.  We should arrive home between 8and 9PM on the 28th.
>  
> The cost of the training camp is $75 and does not include hotel or food.  Bring all of your swim, bike, and run triathlon gear.  The weather is similar to Phoenix but a little cooler.  There is a possibility of it raining, or snowing, so you will want to bring appropriate gear for all weather training. 
>  
> If you or anyone you know is planning on attending the camp please RSVP to this e-mail.
>  
>  
> Nick Goodman
> Durapulse Performance Company
> 7624 E. Indian School #101
> Scottsdale, AZ 85251
> (480) 862-3076
> [email protected]
> www.durapulseperformance.com
>  

2011-12-30 12:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

Ok ladies and gentlemen, I am in. My original plan for 2012 was to do Arizona, but the darn entry form gave me the dreaded message it was full just as I was entering my credit card expiration date. I was THAT close (imagine image of two fingers so close together they are almost touching)! Ugh.

Before signing up for St. George, I wanted to make sure I could continue solid training and I would decide at the beginning of the year.  Well, I've had probably the best biking month I've ever had in terms of quality and perhaps second best in volume. I have lost weight during December instead of gaining it and I'm feeling terrific so it was time to take the plunge.

This will be IM #2 for me following CdA last year. I had a nasty ankle injury while training for that one so I was in pure "just finish" mode. Even though St. George is a tough course, I'm definitely aiming for a multi-hour improvement over last year. Plus it'll be my first year in a new age group (45) so I'll have to try to make a decent showing.

Happy training!
Brad 

2011-12-31 6:05 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
16 mile run yesterday and a beautiful 64 mile/3 mile brick today to say bye-bye to the year. 8 mile run tomorrow to ring in the new one.

2011-12-31 6:39 PM

User image

Regular
Wishing everyone racing IMSG a Happy and healthy New Year. Oh, and water temps above 65* on race day.

Cheers, Tom
2012-01-01 7:49 PM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
I'm not racing St. George, but I'll be in town in late February. I'm training for the Boston Marathon and need to do a 22 mile run while there. Anyone have any idea on what route to do? Hills are fine, as that'll help for Boston.
2012-01-04 9:40 PM

User image

Irvine, CA

Swam my Pacific Ocean Open Water workout yesterday- 58 degrees- forgot my swim cap!!  Guaranteed if you see me on Race morning I will happily be wearing a cap!!

Eric

2012-01-07 3:18 PM

Veteran

Just curious how everyone's training is coming along at this point? 118 days out!

The weather is in the upper 60s here today so I got a chance to get out for a long ride and hit some hills for the first time in a while.

Hope everyone's training is going well!

Ryan

2012-01-07 3:38 PM
in reply to: #3976957

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
RJohnson1979 - 2012-01-07 1:18 PM

Just curious how everyone's training is coming along at this point? 118 days out!

The weather is in the upper 60s here today so I got a chance to get out for a long ride and hit some hills for the first time in a while.

Hope everyone's training is going well!

Ryan

Upper 60s? No fair! Count me as envious. I think I'll be on the trainer for almost all of IMSG training since we're in our steady 4-month rain phase here in the PNW.

Training is going well for me. I did the Spinervals Challenge in December that Troy Jacobson put together. Very hard, but it was 826 trainer miles (including a century on the last day) and my fitness gains and weight loss were terrific. Running is going well with lots of base miles over the last two+ months. Just had my first relatively fast run in a long time and that felt good. I do have to get in the pool more often though. That's always my Achilles Heal. 

Cheers,
Brad

2012-01-12 10:09 AM

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah
I still have a question about renting race wheels (see post above). Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, as my first full distance, I was curious about the special needs bag. Do people grab those and restock on the fly, or do you stop to reload?
2012-01-12 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3986072

User image

Regular
Charleston, SC

Maybe I can help.  I use Race Day Wheels, absolutely great service and perfect wheels.  For IMSG remember we will likely have some wind to challenge us.  My plan is to rent 404 in the front and a disk in the back, both will be tublars.  That combo can be tricky in the wind, but I'm comfortable with it.

Special needs will likely be handed to you, it's your job then to restock and leave the bag at the same location

Good Luck

2012-01-12 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3986185

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah

Ok,

Thank you. So do you have the race wheels sent to your home or do you have them put on once you arrive? I am comfortable on the bike at both high speeds and high winds, but since I have never used a disk would you be nervous about trying that for the first time on race day?

2012-01-12 8:56 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Special needs bags are about 24 inches by 24 inches, plastic draw string. I don't drop/use SN bags, but can't imagine restocking on the fly with this type of bag. Shortly before coming into the SN area, which has historically been located on the main highway back into SG shortly after turning onto it. There is someone who will see your number and pass it forward to SN so they have your bag pulled for you.

(SNbags.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
SNbags.jpg (61KB - 10 downloads)
2012-01-13 12:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

CodRed - 2012-01-12 8:09 AM I still have a question about renting race wheels (see post above). Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, as my first full distance, I was curious about the special needs bag. Do people grab those and restock on the fly, or do you stop to reload?

I can't help you with the wheels since I haven't rented them before either. With special needs bags, I actually stopped to put stuff into the bike one at CdA last year. I knew the water would be cold and I didn't want to be freezing the first half of the bike so I stopped at the bike S/N about halfway through, straddled the bike while a volunteer held my bike steady and helped open the bag on top of my aerobars. I took off my arm warmers and some light gloves, put them in the bag and off I went. Plus the brief stop just felt good. Really great volunteer. For the run one, I only put in something I figured I might want that wasn't otherwise available on the course. So I put in a Snickers bar. I only ate half of it, but man, that was the best Snickers I have ever had.

Cheers,
Brad 

2012-01-13 6:20 AM
in reply to: #3986868

User image

Regular
Charleston, SC
You can them shipped to your home or you can pick up at the race site.  Depends on your desire.  If you're new to cycling it might make sense to get a few miles in before the race.  Depending on when you arrive at St. George you can get in some practice miles there with the rented wheels.  I'm sure there will be a bunch of us on the course the week leading up to the race.
2012-01-13 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3987833

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah
Thank you everyone, this has been very helpful (and I never thought of putting stuff back in the S/N bag).
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 32