BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sdanaher's HIM or IM Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2012-02-01 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3942885

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL
Subject: RE: Sdanaher's HIM or IM Group - CLOSED

Hi everyone.  Kicked off my official HIM 20-week (stretched to 24 weeks) training plan on Monday.  I've decided to use the BT free plan for swimming only, and even that I'm not starting to follow the workouts for a few weeks.  I'm going to concentrate on some TI drills and getting my endurance up first.  Yesterday was a long day, but fun.  I started a cycling class with the tri club on Tuesday evenings, so I'm using my now free Tuesday morning to get in an extra swim.  And it was so warm here that I couldn't help but run outside at lunch.  Touch 'em all Tuesday!  The cycling class was crazy hard 4x4:00 intervals at Z4 then later 2x8:00 at Z4 with pickups (or "attacks" in Sufferfest terms!).  I was spent and dripping.  But felt awesome!  Hope you're all having a great week.  I'm excited - registration for the Chicago Marathon opens today!  Sounds like others are having a pretty good week so far - hope it continues.

2012-02-01 2:44 PM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL
Woohoo!  Just signed up for the Chicago Marathon!  My first 26.2!  I'm half excited and half thinking I'm crazy.  No wait, I know I'm crazy.  But it's a good crazy, right?  Happy Hump Day!
2012-02-01 5:50 PM

User image

Elite

slowly my OWS confidence is building...but it's slow.  I went back to the full wetsuit last night still find it cumbersome and restricting in shoulder movement and around chest (perceived restriction, it's not really!)  I had none of these issues when I wore my new sleeveless one on Thursday (swim race), and Sunday's triathlon.  I think I'll just put up with cold arms and wear the sleeveless one from now on.  Suck it up princess!

So OWS last night.  The sea looked calm enough but there was a strong breeze and I could see waves crashing on the Cerberus (the shipwreck).  That's okay I thought - we never have to swim round there, just the hardened squad do that extra loop.

How wrong could I be?  Coach Johnny said he was shaking things up - the super fish were to head right towards the yellow stick (that's where us slowies usually go) - we were to go around anticlockwise round the Cerberus....yikes!  the superfish would do that circuit after their initial 800m.....(yes they overtook us!)

so I head out, in the shelter of the pier it's fairly calme, a swell but no crashing - get to the shipwreck (freaks me out every time!) and the waves are at least 4ft.  I'm terrified I'll get smashed into the boat or the wooden structure to its left.  Actually the power in these waves is minimal when I think about it rationally   but out there all rational thought disappears.

So I do the warm up lap - even past the wooden structure (called Bird Mansion because of the cormorants and pelicans that roost there - you don't wanna swallow that water) - and back to shore.  Pretty pleased with myself.

Next up - same again but racing - well I have one speed so that's not an issue.  This time it's rougher, I keep my eye on another swimmer - typically she goes way off to the right, we did about an extra 250m!  But I did it.  Felt cold for a while out there, turns out my wetsuit had come unzipped!  No wonder i was slow and cold.

Same again for a third circuit - I declined.  Felt I'd proved myself already!  I hooked up with Ben who is doing Melbourne IM in March - he can barely swim 25m and cannot put his head in the water at all!  he was a bit freaked out and ready to bail so I said I'd take him for a swim to the first buoy and back.  We ended up doing two buoys - I told him to draft off me and he really appreciated the consideration and the help.  Nice to give back a little sometimes!

So all up - a successful swim, got scolded for my going off course as it was supposed to be race conditions, should be sighting better....ah well, in races i have lots of buoys and life guards guiding me round!  i take it all on board and here's hoping it's better next week again!

Now the burning question - there is an Oly Tri on this weekend, I've checked the weather, first time in years the forecast is for calm waters - should I take this opportunity and just do it!?  What do you think guys??????

2012-02-01 5:51 PM

User image

Sarnia
WAY TO GO...I always find myself more committed to my training when I've laid out my hard earned cash on a race...GOOD LUCK
2012-02-01 8:56 PM

User image

Elite
HOLY CR*P - I appear to have entered the Olympic Distance for Sunday - ho hum....
2012-02-01 9:17 PM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL
Awesome Jo!  Go for it and good luck!

2012-02-01 10:18 PM
in reply to: #4024452

User image

Regular
Montreal, Canada

Jo, you made the right move and I am sure you will do great. Enjoy your Oly!

Dave, very excited for you. I am sure by Oct you will have the endurance for a full marathon. Guess it will be a nice transition for a IM in 2013?

Johnny, hope you'll be able to log more work-outs soon and hope the planning for your move is going ok.

Shane, looking fwd to hearing from your camp. With all the icy rain around here, I am getting jealous of Jo and you!

Bryan, how's the bike going. Did you manage to fix it?

Mike, way to go for your breakthroughs. I am sure before you realize it, these will become standard volumes. I do not have a power meter, mainly because of the price tag. Hopefully you'll get feedback from the group or on the forum.

Kirsten, agree these drills are fun. I have been initiated by a fellow triathlete to breating every 3, 5 and 7 strokes. I am sure these will be handy during the mass-starts!

Here the workload in the office has been crazy, and I had to pass on many lunch-time sessions. Frustrating, but putting things in perspective does help. 

Question for the group. I met some fellow triathletes and they are positive that intervals are the way to go, even if the objective is an  HIM. I see you guys are big Sufferfest fans, but the BT plans seem to prescribe longer/easier sessions, so of course I am all confused. What's your take on this for the swim/bike/run?

Enjoy what is left of the week!

Fred

2012-02-01 11:35 PM

User image

Elite

I've read a few differing views - Ironman Terenzo Bozzone wrote on his website last year about getting in some intervals over 'junk' miles.

My longer run and bike I just go at my pace but on the shorter runs and rides I tend to do sprint intervals/fartlek/hills - mix it up every time pretty much!  I found on the running I did improve my speed )1 hour difference in the marathon from 2010 to 2011!  In our swim squad the drills are given to us, I just do them but if I think about it we have some days where we'll just push out sets of 300m at a 70% effort, then other days we'll do 20 x 50m at 80-90% so obviously we are mixing it up there too!

If you keep doing the same thing then nothing will change....

2012-02-02 11:04 AM

User image

Sarnia

Finally got back in the pool today.. It's been awhile...Felt pretty good too.

300 w/u

12x100

16x50

200 c/d

Painfully slow @ 2:00/100M but like I said it's been awhile so I was less worried about my time and tried to concentrate on just getting back into proper form (which I am not sure I accomplished)  It's funny how difficult it can be to put all the pieces together...when I wasn't over kicking, my breathing was shot, when I was breathing well, my stroke was junk....Really makes duathalons seem more appealing....

Edited by bmeere 2012-02-02 12:40 PM
2012-02-02 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4025362

User image

Regular
Montreal, Canada
Glorious day today, managed to get 2xworkouts. Did a run with my fellow triathlete, and he sure pushed me alright! Peaked at 9.3mph (15kmh) with fair elevation. I think it was the first time I saw my HRM get to 193bpm. We'll see if this regimen brings positive changes...
2012-02-03 4:02 PM

User image

Elite

Friday night OWS with a guy up the road, Bruce.  We went down to the beach at 7pm - a beautiful night for it, the ocean was finally calm - out round the shipwreck then across to the stick and back - about 1.4km.  He's a bit faster than me but he took it easy and I went hard so were evenly matched!  I loved it!  We are going to make that a regular thing - may even swim in the winter.....that's what the wetsuit is for!

Car battery died - so had to leave it at the station all night, got it fixed this morning but someone had already got into it and stolen my house keys - and of course there is a piece of paper with our address in there....so today is lock changing day.  Grrrrr.

OLYMPIC TOMORROW!

2012-02-04 8:20 PM

User image

Elite

GUYS - i did it!  I completed the Olympic Distance Triathlon - I have no idea how long it took (ages) and I don't care - I did it!

I will post a full race report when i get the times (if it's not too embarassing!)

in summary

The water was flat and warm, sleeveless wetsuit perfect.  1500m done - got swum over by the waves of men behind me - whatever!

Bike - for 20 out of the 40 km we had a headwind of 55kph with gusts exceeding that.  It did mean on the southbound ride we had an awesome tail wind.  So with the tail wind got up to over 50kph but in the headwind, dropped as low as 13kph.

Run - well not fun but 10km is a nice distance.  Legs felt fine, butt is sore!

Full report to follow - now wheres that beer?

2012-02-04 8:28 PM

User image

Master

Way to go Jo!  All your reports are getting me ramped up for my first tri, but it is not until March!  I am feeling a bit burnt this week, so I am taking an extra rest day today.  Have an easy swim tomorrow planned, but I think I may get a ride in as well.  It has been sunny for a couple days for the first time in a month here, and I don't want to waste it!  Supposed to be rainy again by the end of next week, so have to enjoy the sun while it is here, even if it's not on the plan! 

Congrats again, Jo, keep it up!

2012-02-05 7:49 AM

User image

Sarnia
Got in some good speed work last night, 6x1k all at a sub 4:10 pace...it amazes me that there are people that go FASTER than that for an entire marathon let alone doing it on the back end of an IM. Felt good though to know that I could go that quickly..I usually hold about a 5:10/km pace when I run...who knows maybe there is some spring left in these old legs. Cheering on some friends today who are running a 1/2 marathon in my city...nothing more inspiring than the start of a race...
2012-02-05 7:59 AM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL
Wow!  I read that post and thought you meant 4:10 min/MILE!  Still, 4:10 min/km is still really fast, if you ask me.  Great speed!  On the other hand, today was my long, slow run.  8 miles at a 9:00 min/mile pace - felt great and I ran it outside, which was nice.  Great first week of my HIM plan.  Looking forward to week 2.  Way to go with the oly, Jo!
2012-02-05 3:09 PM

Regular
Indiana

it was a great day! We finally had warm enough weather (42 deg. F) to enjoy a good run outside. I have been itching to get outside, but my asthma prevents me from running when it is too cold. I was able to get 6 miles in. Definitely overdue after the long winter months. 

I hope the rest of you northerners were able to get out and enjoy the warmer weather.

2012-02-06 7:53 PM
in reply to: #4030575

User image

Regular
Montreal, Canada

Congrats Jo, looking forward to reading your race report!

I guess I pushed too much on my run intervals with my buddy last week as I have been having a cold since saturday morning and still battle a sore throat and mild fever. Ah well, forced recovery during the week-end and most probably until Wednesday.

Enjoy your week everyone.

2012-02-07 11:37 AM

User image

Elite
4.30am must be indoor trainer time - 60mins seated climb required ouch.
2012-02-07 11:44 AM

User image

Elite
no idea how to get my race report on our thread - so check it out under the Race Report Forum!
2012-02-07 1:50 PM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL

Great race report Jo!  Sounds like a fun and successful event, despite the nasty wind.  Congratulations!

I've had a great start to my day, already with a good swim session and a nice easy run in the books.  I will probably melt into a puddle of sweat during cycling class tonight, though.  

I've been seeing some sales on wetsuits lately and plan to buy one eventually.  What brand to you have and/or recommend?  I'm not looking for the top-of-the-line, but I don't want a piece of crap either.  Thanks.

2012-02-07 4:22 PM

User image

Elite

Second season of tri's and already on my third wetsuit!

1. ORCA - this was great really good buoyancy.  I round it tight around the shoulders and chest and eventually it also got too big with over 30lbs weight loss - so it's gone to a fellow triathlete girlfriend.
  2. SPEEDO - got this on line from Wiggle.co.uk - beautiful, it's like a second skin goes on soooo easy great range of movement (have I mentioned it's kinda pretty with some pink detail!)  Done a couple of sprints in this was good - however really hard to get off, seems to stick to me more and haven't used it in warmer weather because of item 3.
  3. Rocket Science sleeveless - hired this at a swim meet to test out.  Loved it and bought it.  No restriction of movement at all coz it's sleeveless - doesn't seem as tight on the chest either.  Have worn it to one sprint and the Oly.  Feel much more confident in this one, like I'm swimming well.  also a breeze to get off.  Was always worried about sleevelss for the cold factor (don't notice it) and also the creatures and my exposed skin (no encounters yet)

all up I think I prefer the sleeveless, you get the range of movement so your technique is still good with the benefit of buoyancy!  I swim with serious Open Water distance swimmers who will wear nothing but speedos and some goose grease!  I'm half way there with the sleevless!

2012-02-07 5:53 PM
in reply to: #4034149

User image

Regular
Montreal, Canada

I own a X-Terra Vortex (full-suit).  Advertised at 400$ , it can be reduced to 200$ if  you use the coupon code "BT". I am happy with it and was amazed by the added buoyancy of a full suit . Note you have to get it on-line based on sizing chart , so there's a bit of risk factor as you will have to pay for the return cost if you exercise your right for a  replacement. 

The more expensive ones (vendetta) look better but at my level I doubt they would give me added benefits. I am a believer in the law of diminishing returns, so to me the Vortex is the right choice.

2012-02-08 4:50 AM

User image

Elite

Approximately 2km in choppy conditions, gets a bit wearing always being last out of the 50-60 squad.  Second lap I was closer but I wasn't catching anyone.  Back to pool squad tomorrow try and work on some speed.

Frown

2012-02-08 6:53 AM

User image

Regular
Tempe, AZ

As of lately I've been getting all kinds of nagging pings and pains. A while back it started with my calves on long runs, but since I started using compression sleeves/socks, the calve pains went away. Recently, my knees have been really hurting. My right knee started a couple weeks ago, now my left knee.  I played catcher in baseball for almost 15 years, so I know my knees are probably a bit rough to begin with, but I'm wondering why all of a sudden it just started now. Any ideas?

Sorry for the lack of posting lately, been hectic around here. Just found out I'm going to be a father =)

2012-02-08 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4035332

User image

Master
seankanary - 2012-02-08 4:53 AM

As of lately I've been getting all kinds of nagging pings and pains. A while back it started with my calves on long runs, but since I started using compression sleeves/socks, the calve pains went away. Recently, my knees have been really hurting. My right knee started a couple weeks ago, now my left knee.  I played catcher in baseball for almost 15 years, so I know my knees are probably a bit rough to begin with, but I'm wondering why all of a sudden it just started now. Any ideas?

Sorry for the lack of posting lately, been hectic around here. Just found out I'm going to be a father =)

Congratulations Sean!  That's great news. 

Re: the pains.  I don't know how much you train/have trained, but I know whenever I start upping the mileage, by body rebels for a little bit.   It usually goes like you describe, ankles, calves, knees and upwards.  Usually works itself out as my body adjusts.  I do a lot of icing in the meantime!  I always also check if I need new shoes when that starts happening.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sdanaher's HIM or IM Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14