BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sdanaher's HIM or IM Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2012-04-01 7:27 PM
in reply to: #4123371

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Sdanaher's HIM or IM Group - CLOSED
fdulak - 2012-04-01 3:48 PM

Great to know you are in for your first IM Jo and congrats for your first true ride with your new pedals.

Schedule has been crazy for me but I managed to sneak my training. Might be late, but I decided to join my wife's swim master class for the last session (April/May/June). Also upgraded to clipless pedals but have not left the basement (yet).  Did practice one-leg drills, I think I am getting the idea but I should have had  these in January.

This morning, long run (close to half marathon distance) with a gang of friends who all registered for a Oly early june (same place as my HIM Jun 24th), it will be fun to be all on the starting line at the same time.

Question for the group. I have a special rear tire for the trainer. There is NO WAY I can change the tire every time I want to hit the road/go back in the basement, plus I usually train around 9pm on week-days when the kids are in bed. How do you guys handle this? Second wheel/tube/cassette sounds like overkill (est 150$) , but I do not know what my options are.

Have a great training week everyone.

I bought a spare tire for the bike trainer and haven't used it as yet, just been using my bike as is and haven't had any issues as yet....

I will be upgrading my bike soon for IM Melbourne so then my trusty Giant Road bike will live on the trainer.

Had the best ride on the trainer yesterday - set it up in the yard in what I thought was a shady spot, turns out my shoulders were in the sun, got the weirdest tan lines!

anyway did 1 hour 40mins, should have been 2 and a half hours but ended up meeting up with Yanti and Nigel from BT!  Was so nice to meet people face to face, and how lovely they both were.

Recovery week for me - so going to start by making up the 50mins I missed yesterday by doing a spin class tonight before swim squad.

My calfs are a bit niggly this morning, just feel like they could cramp at any minute...could be an interesting swim, will drink milk eat bananas and a salty lunch should get through!  Took my magnesium this morning.!

2012-04-02 6:53 AM
in reply to: #4123371

Regular
Indiana

I would have to agree...I can't wait for the weather to break so we can be on the road full time.

With that said, we do not have a lot of time left until the weather breaks and you will be on the road so I would just leave your road tire on your bike this year. You will not put enough miles on it while it is on the trainer to wear it out. Plus you will be ready to ride outside on those days that are warm and won't have to spend time changing tires or wheels. This wil also help you prevent from having to adjust derailleurs for new wheels if you would choose to go that way. It seems like I always get my bike set up perfectly and then change my wheels and have to start adjusting all over again.

I would highly suggest that you put a trainer tire on it next fall when the weather turns cold again though. Or you could use this tire and buy a new one for the road next spring.

No need to put money into something you might only use for another 2-3 weeks.

Just my two cents worth.

2012-04-02 8:07 PM
in reply to: #3942885

User image

Elite

Managed a 2km swim last night - actually got a bit bored and hopped out!  This morning did 30mins trainer and was supposed to run 30mins today at lunchtime but the mojo has left the building!

Actually I have a very sore/tight right calf and having torn that muscle a number of times I think resting it today will be a good move.

Just tired this week

2012-04-08 9:37 PM
in reply to: #3942885

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL
Hope everyone had a good Easter weekend.  Mine was good, both family-wise and training-wise.  We were out in Galena, IL visiting the in-law's, and it's actually the site of my first tri of the season.  I brought my bike and my running shoes and got in some good training.  Saturday morning was my long bike - I rode the tri course in reverse out to the site of the swim and then rode it again forwards.  The race is point-to-point with separate transition areas and the in-law's live near T2.  I've got some work to do with hill training for both the bike and the run!  This morning was my long run, now up to 13 miles.  Did two loops, catching a monster hill twice.  4 weeks now until the Indy Mini Marathon!  Getting excited!  I'm doing a tune-up 10k with a friend in 2 weeks - should be fun.  Glad that outdoor racing season (for me anyway) is almost here.  Hope everyone's training is going well.
2012-04-09 4:54 PM
in reply to: #4124036

User image

Regular
Montreal, Canada

Thanks for the advice w/r to bike wheel and trainer. It makes sense and I learned in the process via my LBS that a replacement tire would be around 25$ (note I have an entry level bike).

So I did change the tire and went for a 40 miles ride on Sunday with fellow triathletes from my area, which was a lot of fun. I did not replace the tire properly thought, as I noticed a slight"bump" every turn of the wheel. Back home, I did find the tube did not fit properly inside the tire just above the valve, I guess I am lucky I did not get a flat! 

With the wind, the hills, the cars and the picturesque landscapes, I did not experience the boredom of the basement for sure! Longest ride ever, at an easy pace (slowest ever....). I need more of these!

So looks like we did get archived. Are you guys planning to stick around for another round? 

2012-04-11 7:11 AM
in reply to: #4139091

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
fdulak - 2012-04-09 4:54 PM

Thanks for the advice w/r to bike wheel and trainer. It makes sense and I learned in the process via my LBS that a replacement tire would be around 25$ (note I have an entry level bike).

So I did change the tire and went for a 40 miles ride on Sunday with fellow triathletes from my area, which was a lot of fun. I did not replace the tire properly thought, as I noticed a slight"bump" every turn of the wheel. Back home, I did find the tube did not fit properly inside the tire just above the valve, I guess I am lucky I did not get a flat! 

With the wind, the hills, the cars and the picturesque landscapes, I did not experience the boredom of the basement for sure! Longest ride ever, at an easy pace (slowest ever....). I need more of these!

So looks like we did get archived. Are you guys planning to stick around for another round? 

We can stay in archived as long as we please. Had my first race a couple weeks ago, 3rd place AG. Now the focus turns to an HIM in mid may, eagle an in June.... Then we focus on B2B full.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sdanaher's HIM or IM Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14