BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jford2309/Kido Mentoring Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2012-02-04 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3943811

User image

Peekskill, NY
Subject: RE: Jford2309/Kido Mentoring Group-Closed
Hey everyone,

I'm literally flying back from my miitary hiatus in San Antonio, TX, where I spent a week of 'weight training' by pounding stakes into the hardpack soil (lots a rocks!). Got some good training but was only able to grab two runs during the week. Ah, but such is life.

My February goals have me beginning my half marathon training. Last year I fell short of completing my first HM because of my soleus injury. I'm staying focused and staggering my runs systematically, as well as using compression sleeves. April 22nd will be here before you know it!

Additionally, I'll begin to get on my trainer and get some good time and mileage under my belt, as well as still hit the pool. My first sprint tri isnt until June 10th, so my main focus will be on running, but with mainteance in bike and swim until I start that training program.

Lastly, being I'm still in an 'off season', I'll be starting my TRX training with weekly yoga workouts. I need to improve both my overall strength and flexability. Let me just say, as we age, flexability becomes just as important as everything else!

2012-02-04 7:06 PM
in reply to: #4025933

User image

Expert
Palm Bay
utahrunner - 2012-02-02 3:27 PM

My goals for Feb are:

Swim: 22,000 yd

Bike: 200 mi

Run: 60 mi

Also I just sign up for my first tri of the season!  Leadman Tri 125 in Las Vegas, March 31!!!

Anyone know how to find someone race report on this or if they is one?

Kido - do you anything about this course.  I have done Pumpkinman and that was hard.

I used the search on top of the page.  Nothing under race reports.  I also searched races and you are the only one signed up.  If you search for Leadman in all groups, some topics come up but they looked focused on the 250.  Hope this helps

2012-02-05 3:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

2 hours of Tennis with my brother has me feeling good today!  We were challenged by a couple of local guys to a game of doubles (neither of us has ever played doubles)

We won!!!   8-6 in the tie-breaker!  

2012-02-05 12:23 PM

User image

Peekskill, NY
JUST VENTING!

From my log:

Ok, this day hasn't been my best at all. Started with a return to the pool after about 10 days and felt so out of form. Spent the first 10 mins just trying to smooth things out. Couldn't seem to do it, so I used the pull bouy and just pulled until some assembelance of form re-emerged, then finsihed up with a smoother last 5 mins. Went home to change and out the door for the first 5K race of the year.

OUCH! I've been running well since my last calf incident(October) so I figured I'd push this a bit more. I did it, bringing my time down to a 8:26 min mile from 9:16, but about half way in, the pain started again at the lower section of the soleus, near were the tendon attaches. I was happy with my time, but I KNOW I'd go faster if I could just fix this fricking problem!

Obviously, If I keep a slower pace (about 9:30 or so), it seems not to get so inflamed. Point tenderness all along the lower portion of the tendon.

Very Frustrating!
2012-02-05 2:14 PM

User image

I ran in my first race today!!!!

A 5k, which I finished in 32:11, which is just perfect as I was aiming for a 10-11 mile/min pace.

HOWEVER, my neck/shoulder muscle has been bothering me lately, and I must have been tensing it while I ran, because as soon as I finished, I realized I could not turn my head at all!! I drove home in pain and it still hasn't let up.

I am happy with the race, but now I am off to take a muscle relaxant and hopefully a coma-nap will ensue.

2012-02-05 3:59 PM
in reply to: #4030516

User image

Sensei
Sin City
mkleach - 2012-02-05 12:14 PM

I ran in my first race today!!!!

A 5k, which I finished in 32:11, which is just perfect as I was aiming for a 10-11 mile/min pace.

HOWEVER, my neck/shoulder muscle has been bothering me lately, and I must have been tensing it while I ran, because as soon as I finished, I realized I could not turn my head at all!! I drove home in pain and it still hasn't let up.

I am happy with the race, but now I am off to take a muscle relaxant and hopefully a coma-nap will ensue.

Congrats on the race!  Relax that neck and recover now.

2012-02-05 4:00 PM
in reply to: #4030648

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I got on the bike for the first time in maybe 3 months?  I think she missed me...

It was a bit discouraging.  Took me 10-15 minutes longer to finish my typical ride...  I'm a bit out of shape (at least s/b/r shape).  I figure 3-4 weeks to get it back though.

2012-02-06 8:44 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

welcome back to the bike Kido!

This weekend, I spent it away with my wife and no kids!  We had a great time etng out without getting up to get the kids something and actually got to sleep in plast 8:15 AM!!!

I am out of town again till Wed, but I will be checking in throughout my trip.  Hold me accountiable to hitting the treadmill please!!!

2012-02-06 2:56 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver

Hi Everyone! Back from a week in the sun and surf. Had a great time with my hubby and now back to the world of tri Laughing.  Looks like everyone has been busy - way to go!

Goals for February: swim 20,000m; bike 165 miles; run/walk 60km (37 miles)

2012-02-07 8:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Been thinking about it for a while now, and I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a cycleops Fluid2 Trainer this weekend.  Anyone have some advice on anything extra I should pick up with it?  Been thinking...

1) Block for the front tire... should I get 2 to do climbs?

2) Mat to put under the trainer... I'll most likely be using it in the living room with hardwood floors, so that would probably be a good idea.

3) ???

2012-02-07 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4033448

User image

Sensei
Sin City
DuncanQH - 2012-02-07 6:59 AM

Been thinking about it for a while now, and I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a cycleops Fluid2 Trainer this weekend.  Anyone have some advice on anything extra I should pick up with it?  Been thinking...

2) Mat to put under the trainer... I'll most likely be using it in the living room with hardwood floors, so that would probably be a good idea.

3) ???

Some suggest a fan to heep you a bit cooler.

My setup is a mat, then I cover it with old towels for those hard workouts when I'm dripping sweat.  No need to have that getting into the carpets or on the floors

As for the blocks, here in Vegas, we seem to get new phone books about twice a year (a waste to me), but I stack them up under my front wheel to get to the height I want.  It's not as nice as a block, but it was cheap!

It's nice to have a stool or chair next to the bike to put a water bottle or TV remote or phone on... 

2012-02-07 6:20 PM
in reply to: #4034157

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan
Kido - 2012-02-08 2:52 AM
DuncanQH - 2012-02-07 6:59 AM

3) ???

Some suggest a fan to keep you a bit cooler.

My setup is a mat, then I cover it with old towels for those hard workouts when I'm dripping sweat.  No need to have that getting into the carpets or on the floors

As for the blocks, here in Vegas, we seem to get new phone books about twice a year (a waste to me), but I stack them up under my front wheel to get to the height I want.  It's not as nice as a block, but it was cheap!

It's nice to have a stool or chair next to the bike to put a water bottle or TV remote or phone on... 

I like... All very affordable suggestions.  Thank you!

2012-02-09 10:14 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
I am back from my business trip and I confess to eating really really bad while I was away.
2012-02-09 6:42 PM
in reply to: #4037903

User image

New user

Montgomery, AL
Always seems to work like that...hard to eat right at home...almost impossible on the road. Hopefully you enjoyed what you ate!
2012-02-09 6:56 PM
in reply to: #4039021

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I fell off the wagon for my diet since the superbowl.  Back on it today.  How is everyone else with their nutrition/diet?  Eating like a triathlete?
2012-02-09 7:07 PM
in reply to: #4039035

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Have done really well since returning from vacation. Cut out all things that have flour in them. Campbell's tomato soup has flour in it....what the heck?

2012-02-09 9:59 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas

YES! I set a PR for 1000 meters. Time was 18:10. It was a great workout, I was super happy with the swim. Then it was on to the bike.

Awesome ride right after the swim. I thought I was going to get a personal best on this ride but just didn't get it. Still a sweet ride, I felt great hit the hills hard. The standing for a minute every ten was painful toward the end legs were getting really tired I thought I was going to cramp up, but didn't happen. the ride was 21.5 miles with a time of 1:14, on rolling hills. I went up by Red Rocks if anyone knows were that is in Vegas.

Next!

Yep, that's right I ran a mile right off the bike. I was a bit slower than I'm use to but really, I just did a double brick! I was super charged when I was done, amazing feeling. But I will sleep well tonight!

I have hitting my nutrition just right this week and have lost 5 lbs! I am loving this. I just hope I can keep it up. Lets go get'em folks you can do it!

2012-02-10 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4039282

User image

Regular
Vancouver
mikoy - 2012-02-09 7:59 PM

YES! I set a PR for 1000 meters. Time was 18:10. It was a great workout, I was super happy with the swim. Then it was on to the bike.

Awesome ride right after the swim. I thought I was going to get a personal best on this ride but just didn't get it. Still a sweet ride, I felt great hit the hills hard. The standing for a minute every ten was painful toward the end legs were getting really tired I thought I was going to cramp up, but didn't happen. the ride was 21.5 miles with a time of 1:14, on rolling hills. I went up by Red Rocks if anyone knows were that is in Vegas.

Next!

Yep, that's right I ran a mile right off the bike. I was a bit slower than I'm use to but really, I just did a double brick! I was super charged when I was done, amazing feeling. But I will sleep well tonight!

I have hitting my nutrition just right this week and have lost 5 lbs! I am loving this. I just hope I can keep it up. Lets go get'em folks you can do it!

Way to go! Nice job! Laughing

2012-02-10 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

Nutrition is going well...although i am still struggling a bit with proper fueling before long (1:30+) runs. The good news is I've lost 8 pounds since the beginning of January. The bad news is I'm traveling for work next week and fully anticipate taking a hit. The place I stay has a great gym (even a 25m lap pool) - it's controlling the food that is hard.

No big plans for this weekend, we're supposed to get around 5" of snow on Saturday. I hope to get a run in on Saturday and a nice long bike in on Sunday. How about you all?

2012-02-10 1:41 PM

User image

Peekskill, NY
I've been fortunate about food. I pretty much eat as wholesome of a meal as possible already. My biggest weakness is snacking. Most of the time the snacks are healthy, but there are those days when I can't seem to get enough chocolate (particularly pretzel M & M s). My wife is also working on her figure, so that makes preparing meals a lot easier.

My calf is still in need of some time out from running, so I'm letting it for the rest of this week. I'll definately hit the trainer again this weekend (I didnt know it packed such a punch) and swim. I'll be starting up a TRX strength program and the HM training next week.

2012-02-10 3:31 PM
in reply to: #4040481

User image

Regular
Vancouver
itsallrelative_Maine - 2012-02-10 10:52 AM

Nutrition is going well...although i am still struggling a bit with proper fueling before long (1:30+) runs. The good news is I've lost 8 pounds since the beginning of January. The bad news is I'm traveling for work next week and fully anticipate taking a hit. The place I stay has a great gym (even a 25m lap pool) - it's controlling the food that is hard.

No big plans for this weekend, we're supposed to get around 5" of snow on Saturday. I hope to get a run in on Saturday and a nice long bike in on Sunday. How about you all?

Congratulations on the weight loss! I know first hand how difficult it is to eat properly while on the road but came up with a few little things to help me. Not sure if you will be able to do them or not but its worth a shot. I would go to a nearby grocery store and stock up on veggies, fruit, cheese strings and eggs. Most hotel rooms I have been to in the US have a microwave so I would just nuke some eggs for breakfast. Before lunch I would eat some veggies to fill up a bit in order to make smarter choices at the restaurant (usually had to eat with the client). Fruit and cheese string for a snack in the afternoon. Also brought my water bottle from home!

2012-02-10 3:37 PM
in reply to: #4040989

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I found that getting "normal" on the meds has helped with the weight loss, but more importantly, realizing how many carbs I take in.  Most of my calories were coming from carbs.

So starting off by cutting back on sugar and flour, is a BIG start.  So no breads and pastas and "treats".  And it's a great beginning.

I suggest a food tracker that breaks it down for you into carbs/fat/protein.  Then you can see where the majority of your calories are coming from.

2012-02-11 12:38 PM

User image

Peekskill, NY
Ok all, I need some input on using the trainer. Since, I've gotten on it, I've done the Spinnerval Threshold test, and two other interval training sessions (1 thirty min and 1 fifty-five min). Each respectivly had my legs burning, my heart racing, and at times my breath gone. During the recovery in between, I had no problem and was ready for the next - although it felt like I gave my all by the end. So as far as those sessions go, I think I obtained what i needed/wanted to.

So my question is this, should most of my trainer session workouts be like this. If so, then I guess I'll just suck it up, but if not, if there is a nice long slow session too that I should be doing on it, that would make my legs kind of happy (at least once in a while). Jennifer, you had mentioned you were following a winter cycle plan, being your up in Maine, I'm assuming it's mostly on the trainer. Which one was it again, and is it all interval based?
2012-02-11 12:38 PM

User image

Peekskill, NY
Ok all, I need some input on using the trainer. Since, I've gotten on it, I've done the Spinnerval Threshold test, and two other interval training sessions (1 thirty min and 1 fifty-five min). Each respectivly had my legs burning, my heart racing, and at times my breath gone. During the recovery in between, I had no problem and was ready for the next - although it felt like I gave my all by the end. So as far as those sessions go, I think I obtained what i needed/wanted to.

So my question is this, should most of my trainer session workouts be like this. If so, then I guess I'll just suck it up, but if not, if there is a nice long slow session too that I should be doing on it, that would make my legs kind of happy (at least once in a while). Jennifer, you had mentioned you were following a winter cycle plan, being your up in Maine, I'm assuming it's mostly on the trainer. Which one was it again, and is it all interval based?
2012-02-11 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4042065

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

Jambago - 2012-02-10 1:38 PM  Jennifer, you had mentioned you were following a winter cycle plan, being your up in Maine, I'm assuming it's mostly on the trainer. Which one was it again, and is it all interval based?

It is all on a trainer - it's the winter cycling plan on BT! It's put together by Jorge (I can't remember his last name). He has put together a winter cycling plan for the last four years - each one getting better and better - I can't recommend it enough. It seems like you have figured out what he coaches - going really all out three times a week (with at least 24 hours rest between each session) + a long ride is adequate to improve fitness in the winter. I have increased my average speed by .75mph each year. (Now - I am still slow - but I'll take what I can get!)

Link to the plan here - this is the one for RPE/HR, and there is another one for Power (if you have a power meter)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jford2309/Kido Mentoring Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 13