BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jac's Group - The water is warm, join us! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2012-02-08 6:56 PM
in reply to: #4036205

User image

Eastern Washington
Subject: RE: Jac's Group - The water is warm, join us!

from Monsterman96

A spin bike at a gym should feel more like a road bike.  From my experience, most instructors teach as if they are riding a road bike.  Some even show videos from different Tours to help motivate/distract you.  I have never had an instructor decribe any part of a workout in mountain bike terms.  There is no "We are crossing a creek now" or "Watch out on your rock garden".  Everyone sets up their spin bike to their comfort.  Some have the bars real high and they resemble a cruiser where others, like myself, set the bike up to resemble a road/TT bike.

From seoulgirl39: 

The downside for me is that I live in a small town and the gym I attend doesn't offer any spin classes.  There are spin bikes in the gym but no one to lead a class or anything like that.  So, if I were to start using the spin bike on my own, what are some tips you may have for an effective workout?  I don't have a problem with pushing myself or riding for long distances.  I'll take a pic of the bike and post it tomorrow, if that helps...

K-

Edited by seoulgirl39 2012-02-08 6:58 PM

2012-02-08 8:58 PM
in reply to: #4036848

User image

Veteran
La Crosse
seoulgirl39 - 2012-02-08 6:56 PM

From seoulgirl39: 

The downside for me is that I live in a small town and the gym I attend doesn't offer any spin classes.  There are spin bikes in the gym but no one to lead a class or anything like that.  So, if I were to start using the spin bike on my own, what are some tips you may have for an effective workout?  I don't have a problem with pushing myself or riding for long distances.  I'll take a pic of the bike and post it tomorrow, if that helps...

K-

Music, for me, is a great motivator.  Use the faster beat music for pacework and spints.  The slower music works for hills.  Not knowing your musical taste, it is hard to suggest music.  I am a modern rock guy.  Metallica, Korn, 5 Finger, Volbeat, etc...  If your gym has the bikes so you can watch tv, get sucked into a show.  I always throw in a movie durning long treadmill days or days on my trainer at work.

2012-02-08 9:02 PM
in reply to: #4036848

User image

From seoulgirl39: 

K-

K- Bummer about not having spin classes, it certainly helps motivation when a group of you are in it together. Anyway, you can do your own thing on the bike with some good music. I would add songs to your ipod that ultimately have varied tempos. After warming up, grab the beat with the music and incorporate climbs and racing, etc during the chorus. For example, a song like Kanye West "stronger" has a slower driving beat....add resistance and start working into a climb. You can do some seated climbs and then stand up and start climbing out of the saddle as you continue to tap on a little more gear to challenge yourself. And then there's your speed-style tracks that have a quick tempo with lots of beats per minute that you can go in to full racing on the chorus and slow it down during the verses, etc. Something like Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher" or "My Life Would Such Without You" by Kelly Clarkson. Or just put on some of your favs and I'm sure as you listen to the music you'll feel that urge to speed or climb and just go with it. I can't stand the stationary bikes now...HTH!

2012-02-09 6:47 AM
in reply to: #3947226

User image

Marshall Michigan

great morning today, extra run, than off to gym for swim, 54 laps in 31:48.  Little by little I'm getting there.

This group just keeps growing, i love it.  Keep up the great job posting and letting me know about your workouts, makes me want to work it more and more.

Have a super Thursday

PB

2012-02-09 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4037069

User image

Eastern Washington

This might be stupid question, but are the spin bikes supposed to have a read out of some kind to vary it between straight aways and hills?  There's nothing on the spin bikes at my gym.  Or is it built in resistance that the rider controls?

And sorry, I forgot to take a pic of the bike.  On the upside, I was able to run today without shin splints!  I made an effort to run on the balls of my feet more than heel to toe.  It felt really good and I was able to meet my running goal today!!

K-

2012-02-09 8:59 PM
in reply to: #4037916

User image

seoulgirl39 - 2012-02-09 10:17 AM

This might be stupid question, but are the spin bikes supposed to have a read out of some kind to vary it between straight aways and hills?  There's nothing on the spin bikes at my gym.  Or is it built in resistance that the rider controls?

And sorry, I forgot to take a pic of the bike.  On the upside, I was able to run today without shin splints!  I made an effort to run on the balls of my feet more than heel to toe.  It felt really good and I was able to meet my running goal today!!

K-

No, there aren't any readouts. It's all about perceived exertion. Now from a bike user standpoint, there's a knob on the frame, usually close to the handlebars. You simply turn that to the right to add resistance and to the left to lighten the load. As you add the resistance and it gets harder to crank, that's when you stand and climb, etc. When you go into sprints, you lighten the resistance, but don't take so much off that your legs are flying and you're more or less going "downhill"....try to keep enough resistance that you're at a minimum on a flat road. Great job running! I just finished therapy for a badly sprained ankle from Nov. I still feel twinges of pain, but feel like it's getting better every day. Running pain stinks!

2012-02-09 9:19 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Last week, I was suppose to do my bike workout on a trainer.  I went to my gym and did my workout that totally simulated the trainer.   I did a 2o min warmup/ 8 x 30 sec sprints with 30 sec recovery/ 3 x 10 min hill intervals, keeping my HR in Z4/ and a 6 min cool down.  Like previous posters have stated you may not have the same balance on a trainer or an actual ride but i made my workout as hard as doing it on a trainer or regular bike.  I sweated my tail off!
2012-02-10 12:14 AM

Veteran
Oahu, Hawaii

Hi everyone! I'm enjoying catching up on all the posts. I too am on a recovery week and am also finding it hard not to run, bike and swim farther and longer with my training. I've never been an endurance athlete so this is soooo totally new to me. I played volleyball, basketball and softball in high school (softball in college) Anyway, the quick short and sweet sessions have been good and so far my body is doing okay.

Hope everyone has a great friday!

2012-02-10 6:20 AM

User image

Hattiesburg, MS

Well I got in a 6 mile run at 8:20 pace yesterday.  Today is an off day.  I have a 20 mile run tomorrow.  This will be my last long run before the marathon.  Thanks for all the good advice about the spin bike vs the trainer. I hope everyone has a good trainging weekend.  The weather is supposed to turn cold and I hate running in cold weather. 

2012-02-10 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4039210

User image

Eastern Washington
julieusaf - 2012-02-09 6:59 PM
seoulgirl39 - 2012-02-09 10:17 AM

K-

No, there aren't any readouts. It's all about perceived exertion. Now from a bike user standpoint, there's a knob on the frame, usually close to the handlebars. You simply turn that to the right to add resistance and to the left to lighten the load. As you add the resistance and it gets harder to crank, that's when you stand and climb, etc. When you go into sprints, you lighten the resistance, but don't take so much off that your legs are flying and you're more or less going "downhill"....try to keep enough resistance that you're at a minimum on a flat road. Great job running! I just finished therapy for a badly sprained ankle from Nov. I still feel twinges of pain, but feel like it's getting better every day. Running pain stinks!

julieusaf-thank you for the information on the spin bike, I appreciate it.  I'm getting bored with the stationary bike, so I may give it shot next week.  Today is my off day from the gym and I can feel the running I did yesterday in my calves; they are a little stiff, but overall I feel really good.  This forum has already provided me with a lot of good information and I love reading the accomplishments of others both beginners and well seasoned athletes, it helps keep me motivated!

Have a great Friday everyone and a great weekend!!

2012-02-11 2:31 PM

User image

Hattiesburg, MS
Well, I got my 20 mile run in at 8:50 pace. The run was a lot better today. The weather was cold and windy but I got through the run. The first 8 miles I run by myself and the last 12 a buddy of mine joined. For those who do not have a training partner get one. The time flew by once I had someone to talk to.

2012-02-12 5:23 PM
in reply to: #4042186

User image

Los Angeles

jmdraughn - 2012-02-11 12:31 PM Well, I got my 20 mile run in at 8:50 pace. The run was a lot better today. The weather was cold and windy but I got through the run. The first 8 miles I run by myself and the last 12 a buddy of mine joined. For those who do not have a training partner get one. The time flew by once I had someone to talk to.

Very nice run.

-----------------------

Today's workout was a mock 1/2 Ironman

40 min swim- 1650 yards/ 56 mile bike- 3:19/ 2 hour run- 12.1 miles

I am not as good as i thought.  Also, the mental toughness was a factor too.   I like to improve on that.

Hope everyone is working hard and had a nice weekend.

2012-02-12 5:36 PM
in reply to: #4043417

User image

Hattiesburg, MS
bad91 - 2012-02-12 5:23 PM

jmdraughn - 2012-02-11 12:31 PM Well, I got my 20 mile run in at 8:50 pace. The run was a lot better today. The weather was cold and windy but I got through the run. The first 8 miles I run by myself and the last 12 a buddy of mine joined. For those who do not have a training partner get one. The time flew by once I had someone to talk to.

Very nice run.

-----------------------

I am not as good as i thought.  Also, the mental toughness was a factor too.   I like to improve on that.

bad91

Your times are right on to do a 6hr half.  The mental toughness will be alot better in a race atmosphere. 

2012-02-12 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
La Crosse

Well, February isn't even 1/2 over and I have completed my "Indoor Ironman" distances.  I guess I'll start #2 tomorrow.  I think I will do a sprint before work.  1000-1200yd swim, 55 min Spin Class followed by a quick 5K (Hopefully sub 24:30). 

At this pace, I could potentially get 3 Ironmans in by the end of the month if I kick it up a notch.  It helps alot (snicker snickerLaughing) having that 29th day.

Have a great week training!!!!

2012-02-13 6:39 AM
in reply to: #4043417

User image

Marshall Michigan
bad91 - 2012-02-12 6:23 PM

Very nice run.

-----------------------

You go Bad!  that is great and gives me a time to shoot for.  Don't be so hard on yourself - looks to me like your rocking it!
2012-02-13 6:45 AM
in reply to: #4042186

User image

Marshall Michigan

jmdraughn - 2012-02-11 3:31 PM Well, I got my 20 mile run in at 8:50 pace. The run was a lot better today. The weather was cold and windy but I got through the run. The first 8 miles I run by myself and the last 12 a buddy of mine joined. For those who do not have a training partner get one. The time flew by once I had someone to talk to.

WOW - great pace, I really don't think I'll ever be where you are.  Keep up the great job. Tonight is my long run - it'll only be 6 miles and alot slower, but I will be thinking 9min mile....I can do it!  Well 1 mile at least.  Thanks for making me push myself and giving me a goal today!

PB

2012-02-13 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4043680

User image

Eastern Washington
Monsterman96 - 2012-02-12 6:56 PM

Well, February isn't even 1/2 over and I have completed my "Indoor Ironman" distances.  I guess I'll start #2 tomorrow.  I think I will do a sprint before work.  1000-1200yd swim, 55 min Spin Class followed by a quick 5K (Hopefully sub 24:30). 

At this pace, I could potentially get 3 Ironmans in by the end of the month if I kick it up a notch.  It helps alot (snicker snickerLaughing) having that 29th day.

Have a great week training!!!!

Impressive!!  I'm happy when I can complete 6 mins of running...

Happy Monday to everyone!!

2012-02-13 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4043680

User image

New user

jmdraughn - 2012-02-11 2:31 PM Well, I got my 20 mile run in at 8:50 pace. 

Amazing pace!

Monsterman96 - 2012-02-12 8:56 PM

Well, February isn't even 1/2 over and I have completed my "Indoor Ironman" distances.  I guess I'll start #2 tomorrow.

You're an animal, keep it up.

2012-02-13 9:59 PM

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com
Sounds like everyone has been kicking it up a notch, and have been seeing a lot of progress in return! I really need to find a running partner. That is most definitely my weakest discipline and I don't feel like it's getting much better.
2012-02-14 6:46 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan

Good morning everyone - 1 inch of snow this morning and I was slipping all over while on my bike - totally a blast!  I was the trail blazer for the plows to follow.

Ran again to fencing 2nd time w/ 6 miles, no 9 min mile... but 2 min faster than last week.  So next monday I'll move the distance up to 7 for the long run.  baby steps for me. It does seem to be working and I'll be more than ready to complete my 13.1 for June if I keep to the plan.  Still worried about the ride - I've put up post it notes around the house to get my butt on the trainer in the afternoon - lets hope this helps.

Have a super Tuesday

Bill

2012-02-14 11:13 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan

What your favorite soup? 

Just had split pea w/ smoked ham and it rocked!

2012-02-14 2:15 PM
in reply to: #4046824

User image

Eastern Washington
Paper Boy - 2012-02-14 9:13 AM

What's your favorite soup? 

Just had split pea w/ smoked ham and it rocked!

Minestrone...mmmmm...thanks for making me hungry. 

2012-02-14 9:16 PM
in reply to: #4046824

User image

New user
Paper Boy - 2012-02-14 11:13 AM

What your favorite soup? 

French Onion

2012-02-15 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com

Brocolli Cheese or New England Clam Chowder. 

How was everyones Valentines Day?

2012-02-15 11:36 AM
in reply to: #4048927

User image

Eastern Washington
jaclynembry - 2012-02-15 8:55 AM

Brocolli Cheese or New England Clam Chowder. 

How was everyones Valentines Day?

Those are both excellent choices, as well!  Valentine's Day was quiet and uneventful...in bed by 930p!  My Dobermans were wound up and kept me awake until 12:30a but since today was my rest day from the gym, I was able to sleep in until 430a.  Woohoo!! 

Hope everyone has a good Wednesday!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jac's Group - The water is warm, join us! Rss Feed  

of 19