General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2012-10-13 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3950313

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
Subject: RE: Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread

Finally got our flight and hotel booked! We're staying at the Sabor Cozumel. Got that done while waiting for it to warm up a notch before I take off on a long ride - home to downtown, across the river into Kentucky, taking a ferry back over the river and then back home. Don't even know how many miles it'll be - somewhere between 80 and 100. High in the 70's today, wheeeee!!!

We'll have to arrange a BT meetup in Coz!

2012-10-14 8:02 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

Did it. 91 miles. Longest ride ever, and by the end I was feeling like I could've done more. The 400 foot hill at the end of the ride even felt easier than it ever has. I had a headwind AND hills for the first leg of the trip, which was out in Kentucky where you can hear the banjos! I'm feeling ready for 22 more miles, flatter, with crowd support!

Then I immediately put on a dress and heels and went out dancing for my friend's birthday. I called it a brick workout. A few gin and tonics helped with that; think they'll have them available on the run course??

Six weeks!!!!

2012-10-14 8:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Hi all,
I had written this race off after registering cause I discovered I have a L5 fracture and disc degeneration. Was sooo depressed. However, after some amazing acupuncture and yoga. Feeling better and am determined to race. I will not be as prepared as I planned, but I HAVE to do this.
So, since I am late to jump into reservations, I am doing this whole trip solo. Does anyone need a roommate? I am flying from Toronto.
Hope everyone is doing well and training is awesome.
2012-10-14 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4453016

User image

Veteran
Lakeland
runk8run - 2012-10-14 8:02 AM

Did it. 91 miles. Longest ride ever, and by the end I was feeling like I could've done more. The 400 foot hill at the end of the ride even felt easier than it ever has. I had a headwind AND hills for the first leg of the trip, which was out in Kentucky where you can hear the banjos! I'm feeling ready for 22 more miles, flatter, with crowd support!

Then I immediately put on a dress and heels and went out dancing for my friend's birthday. I called it a brick workout. A few gin and tonics helped with that; think they'll have them available on the run course??

Six weeks!!!!

Good job. I think part of the bike, and the race as a whole, is mental. You have to know you can do it.

I think Ironman is a magnifying glass, the farther you go the more your strengths become obvious. Of course, this is also true of your weaknesses.

Keep up the training and look forward to seeing you in Coz!
2012-10-14 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4453053

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
Mike Ervolina - 2012-10-14 10:23 AM

Six weeks!!!!

Good job. I think part of the bike, and the race as a whole, is mental. You have to know you can do it. I think Ironman is a magnifying glass, the farther you go the more your strengths become obvious. Of course, this is also true of your weaknesses. Keep up the training and look forward to seeing you in Coz!

Yep. These days, a lot of the time, I feel tired and I wonder if I'm going to make it through a particular workout. Then I go out and I do it and I end up feeling good about it afterward. I'm slow. Sometimes I wonder if I've got a s/b/r limiter. But I'm surprising even myself with my tenacity. Once I'm moving, I'm able to keep moving until I say it's time to stop.

I'm super excited, too - I did EVERY planned workout this week. It wasn't always easy but I got something out of each one. 15.5 hours. More time than I'm thinking my IM will take. I'm feeling pretty fantastic. Now I have to clean my very messy house....

2012-10-14 1:21 PM
in reply to: #4452447

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
runk8run - 2012-10-13 10:25 AM

Finally got our flight and hotel booked! We're staying at the Sabor Cozumel. Got that done while waiting for it to warm up a notch before I take off on a long ride - home to downtown, across the river into Kentucky, taking a ferry back over the river and then back home. Don't even know how many miles it'll be - somewhere between 80 and 100. High in the 70's today, wheeeee!!!

We'll have to arrange a BT meetup in Coz!

definitely!

Edited by golfpro 2012-10-14 1:21 PM

2012-10-14 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4453016

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
runk8run - 2012-10-14 9:02 AM

Six weeks!!!!

Great brick!!!! the Gin & Tonics are only available Friday, maybe Saturday if you are brave enough and definitely after the race!... great job getting the miles in..

2012-10-14 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4453031

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA

mauisurfchick - 2012-10-14 9:38 AM Hi all, I had written this race off after registering cause I discovered I have a L5 fracture and disc degeneration. Was sooo depressed. However, after some amazing acupuncture and yoga. Feeling better and am determined to race. I will not be as prepared as I planned, but I HAVE to do this. So, since I am late to jump into reservations, I am doing this whole trip solo. Does anyone need a roommate? I am flying from Toronto. Hope everyone is doing well and training is awesome.

Hi Kerry!  ... a couple of pages back someone was looking for others to join the house he rented... great to see you are giving this a go. See you there!

Edited by golfpro 2012-10-14 1:25 PM
2012-10-14 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4453167

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
runk8run - 2012-10-14 1:42 PM
Mike Ervolina - 2012-10-14 10:23 AM

I'm super excited, too - I did EVERY planned workout this week. It wasn't always easy but I got something out of each one. 15.5 hours. More time than I'm thinking my IM will take. I'm feeling pretty fantastic. Now I have to clean my very messy house....

15.5 hrs is great!!! a hell of a lot more than what I did this week. I am definitely going into this fully under trained. Oh well! It is "gonna" hurt anyway.

Thomas 

2012-10-14 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4453185

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Thanks so much...I will take a look and see if I can find it. See you there...happy training!
2012-10-14 4:09 PM

User image

Veteran

just road for 6 hours on the trainer yesturday followed by a 1 hr treadmill run. Way to cold outside...it was 30f. I was sure glad the race was on yesturday.....

I am ready race day...bring it on

2012-10-15 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

I'm ready too!! Even though I know some ride longer during training, that 91 mile ride was a boost of confidence for me and I know I'll be able to survive the IM now that I've gone that far, solo, on rougher and more boring terrain.

This week won't be as good for me as far as training goes. I have a lot of extra stuff thrown into my schedule. This morning was one of the times that I would've been able to get in a workout, but I'm tired and sore and my husband kept me up part of the night with his coughing. He's been sick so I decided to sleep in. I'm more concerned with staying healthy than getting in a workout at this point.

It's cold and flu season here in OH and I work with germ-magnet kids all day, not to mention the sick husband. Extra vitamins and plenty of sleep for me! I have a great immune system but it drops when I'm doing a lot of training for something. I had the flu back in July and I don't want to repeat it, but if I do get sick, I guess I'll just rest until I'm better!

I'm thinking we're getting close enough that not a whole lot is going to make or break me at this point, am I right? Going to make sure I get those looooong weekend workouts in and do what I can (energy and time permitting) during the week. I'm ahead of my training plan as far as the long runs and rides so I think I'm done stressing about how much I've done. I think I've got this.

2012-10-15 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4453288

User image

Master
natebs - 2012-10-14 4:09 PM

just road for 6 hours on the trainer yesturday followed by a 1 hr treadmill run. Way to cold outside...it was 30f. I was sure glad the race was on yesturday.....

I am ready race day...bring it on

If you can survive 6 hours on a trainer, I am sure Cozumel's ride will be a breeze!

2012-10-15 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4453794

User image

Master
runk8run - 2012-10-15 8:38 AM

I'm thinking we're getting close enough that not a whole lot is going to make or break me at this point, am I right? Going to make sure I get those looooong weekend workouts in and do what I can (energy and time permitting) during the week. I'm ahead of my training plan as far as the long runs and rides so I think I'm done stressing about how much I've done. I think I've got this.

I think you are right. A week or two more and the rest is just maintenance. At least I hope so, as I am traveling for work 2 weeks in November before the race.

I had a great 17 mile run last night. Maybe one of the best long runs I have had in a few years. 

Recover was chicken wings and beer, which probably wasn't so good.

Bring on the race!

2012-10-16 6:21 AM
in reply to: #4453834

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
eliwashere - 2012-10-15 10:03 AM
runk8run - 2012-10-15 8:38 AM

I think you are right. A week or two more and the rest is just maintenance. At least I hope so, as I am traveling for work 2 weeks in November before the race.

I had a great 17 mile run last night. Maybe one of the best long runs I have had in a few years. 

Recover was chicken wings and beer, which probably wasn't so good.

Bring on the race!

Nice! Busy travel month for you!

I love wings and beer!!! That was my recovery meal a few weeks ago.

A guy in my masters group did IMWI last month. About a month out from the race, I asked him how he was doing. His response: "I'm tired, and I'm tired of being tired." I'm totally feeling that these days!

Cross your fingers that I don't have to go to court tomorrow (work related). If I don't, I'll have time to ride my bike, and it's supposed to be beautiful weather.

40 days now!!

2012-10-16 3:10 PM

User image

Key West

Do any of you remember when you would give yourself 3-4 days off for recovery after a half marathon?  Sunday I completed a century ride and THEN gave myself a half marathon on Monday morning as recovery!!!

2012-10-17 7:30 AM
in reply to: #4456310

User image

Veteran
Georgia
HeatmizerKW - 2012-10-16 4:10 PM

Do any of you remember when you would give yourself 3-4 days off for recovery after a half marathon?  Sunday I completed a century ride and THEN gave myself a half marathon on Monday morning as recovery!!!

Ironman training definitely changes/warps your perspective. I find myself incidentally and honestly describing everthing but the long training sessions as "just" - just a 1/2 marathon, just a four hour bike ride, just a two mile swim.

2012-10-17 8:22 AM
in reply to: #4457121

User image

Master
cwsiii - 2012-10-17 7:30 AM
HeatmizerKW - 2012-10-16 4:10 PM

Ironman training definitely changes/warps your perspective. I find myself incidentally and honestly describing everthing but the long training sessions as "just" - just a 1/2 marathon, just a four hour bike ride, just a two mile swim.

So true. Getting to the point where anything less than 3 hours of training is "just" a regular training session.

Edited by eliwashere 2012-10-17 8:22 AM
2012-10-17 2:27 PM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

Oh man, I know. I get so many looks when I describe a short 6.5 mile run or 25 mile bike ride.

Couple extra rest days this week. Couldn't get out of court this morning and I have to work laaaate on Friday now, too. Oh well. I've been quite tired this week, and my husband's been sick and I don't want it, so I'm considering it a bit of a recovery week. I'd rather rest while I'm relatively healthy than to HAVE to rest 'cuz I'm sick. Long ride/run this weekend, two more weeks to hit it hard, and then taper time, woohoo!!!

2012-10-18 7:01 AM

User image

, Florida
Jumping on the "oh so tired" bandwagon. This is my second IM this year (IMTX in May) and I am questioning my sanity. Just taking it one training session at a time. I am off for a pre-work run in the cold Minnesota rain this morning. Bundling up in layers isn't my idea of a good time. Can't wait for a post race beer on the beach :-) !
2012-10-18 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
CHEERS TO THAT Laughing

2012-10-19 2:31 AM

New user

does anyone know what the transition areas are like for the race? i don't have a tri suit (and i'm more comfortable without one) so i was planning on changing out of my swimming shorts into my cycling shorts for T1. Naturally I wouldn't want to break any laws by flashing everyone so can I just use a towel to add some decorum? Or would that not be allowed either?

My goal is to just finish - so i don't mind losing a bit of time if it means i can change and be comfortable for the long bike..

2012-10-19 8:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Hi everyone, I hope training is going well for all of you! I mentioned a while back in this thread but I'll mention again this is my first IM and am also curious about how transition works.

I posted in the iron distance training forum about the swim and I'm still not sure what to do. I have a trisuit for the race, should I wear it for the swim or change into it in T1? I guess it would be better if there were a place to rinse off in T1. Maybe those of you that did IMCOZ know that one?

As with most of you I can't believe its just in a few weeks...getting pretty nervous! Happy training!
2012-10-19 9:52 AM
in reply to: #4460232

User image

Master
mindiswilling - 2012-10-19 2:31 AM

does anyone know what the transition areas are like for the race? i don't have a tri suit (and i'm more comfortable without one) so i was planning on changing out of my swimming shorts into my cycling shorts for T1. Naturally I wouldn't want to break any laws by flashing everyone so can I just use a towel to add some decorum? Or would that not be allowed either?

My goal is to just finish - so i don't mind losing a bit of time if it means i can change and be comfortable for the long bike..

I did the race two years ago. 

after getting back on the dock after the swim, you run to the bags, which are hanging on racks by numbers (there is also a small shower area to rinse off). You take your bag to the changing tent, which was pretty spacious.

You shouldn't have a problem changing if that is what your plan is.

2012-10-19 9:53 AM
in reply to: #4460406

User image

Master

tbcoffee - 2012-10-19 8:37 AM Hi everyone, I hope training is going well for all of you! I mentioned a while back in this thread but I'll mention again this is my first IM and am also curious about how transition works.

I posted in the iron distance training forum about the swim and I'm still not sure what to do. I have a trisuit for the race, should I wear it for the swim or change into it in T1? I guess it would be better if there were a place to rinse off in T1. Maybe those of you that did IMCOZ know that one?

As with most of you I can't believe its just in a few weeks...getting pretty nervous! Happy training!

I just posted to another question. I did the race two years ago and T1 had a shower/sprayer before the changing tent and gear bags, so rinsing a bit shouldn't be a problem.

I would say wear the trisuit in the swim. I can only imagine how difficult it would be trying to put on a trisuit when already wet.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Cozumel : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 16