BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior and Slornow's Spring/Summer Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 100

2012-04-10 6:17 PM
in reply to: #4123247

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Experior and Slornow's Spring/Summer Mentor Group-CLOSED

Well, since we've got people looking forward to their first tri, maybe this is worth posting again (sorry for those who've seen it a dozen times -- just ignore!)  It's a little thing I wrote for a mentor group a while back that had several people who were nervous about transitions.

http://mdickson.net/tri_articles/transitions.html

[Edit:] BTW, for those new to the sport, I would suggest ignoring the bits about being fast in transition and focus on the bits about the mechanics of transition, and the bits about about staying relaxed and focused.  (Ironically, perhaps, those are likely to make you faster as well.  Panic and confusion are rarely conducive to speed.)

Edited by Experior 2012-04-10 8:14 PM

2012-04-10 8:58 PM

User image

Massachusetts

I might be looking at bikes this weekend. I've been to a few bike shops over the past few weeks, but only to browse and talk with the staff. Here's what I'm thinking about right now:

REI has their Novarra Pro line 20% off right now, so it would be about $880. 

http://www.rei.com/product/825906/novara-carema-pro-womens-bike-2012

This is a women's specific bike with carbon fork, and decent components: Shimano 105 rear derailler (Tiagra front). From what little I know about cycling, it looks like they did everything they could to get the price as low as possible while still keeping it race-ready.  

I've also got an acquaintance who is selling his Cannondale with SRAM components. He's 5'3" -- I'm 5'6". Haven't seen the bike yet and not sure about the other specs, except that they're probably good since he's a serious cyclist who is selling the bike in order to upgrade.  He's willing to sell it for about $750. 

My third option is the Specialized Dolce Comp Compact. I've only sat on it, but this is the one my mind keeps wandering back to. It's also about a grand more than the REI model, at $1800. 

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=61523&scid=1101&scname=Road

I'll be honest. I'm really conservative on the bike. I rarely ride on the roads because riding with traffic still freaks me out, but I'm okay when I'm on quiet roads, and there are a lot of bike trails in my area.  I hope to keep riding for many years to come. On the other hand, I train about 1-2 hours a week on the bike, so spending upwards of $2000 (I'll also need some cycling gear) seems a little extravagant.  

I'd love to hear any thoughts about buying a bike, especially thoughts about brands, components, and what to look for in a bike shop/sales person.  

2012-04-10 9:27 PM

User image

Master
Have you been sized for a road/tri bike? If it doesn't fit well then the original purchase price will be the least amount of money you spend on the bike. Bikes that don't fit well require upgrades and adjustments as you become a better cyclist. Add in the amount of money you will spend on medical bills due to injury or aches from an ill fitting bike and you now have a costly purchase.

Is there a reason that you're leaning towards a women's specific bike? At 5'6 you're the perfect size for any bike. If you get a women's specific bike then you're limited to only being able to sell it to another woman. Whatever you do don't get 650 wheels.

The specialized is a sexy bike. You need a sexy bike that makes you want to ride it. Plus a bike that you love is going to make you ride really fast!

Let us know what you decide to do. If you buy a bike from a shop they can and should swap out saddles and other things for you before you take it home without increasing the purchase price. The specialized is a compact which I think is a great thing to have on your bike.

Edited by Catwoman 2012-04-10 9:33 PM
2012-04-10 9:38 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Jen -- a few thoughts about bike purchasing; I'd love to hear other's thoughts too!

First, I would not get very wrapped up in the components ('tiagra' versus '105' versus 'ultegra', etc.).  On any modern bike (and most decent bikes that are not modern) the components are not really an issue.  The differences are so subtle that they are swamped by other considerations.  It is also pretty easy to swap out components as necessary if you decide, down the road, that it is necessary.

Second, I would focus on getting the bike that you foresee pleasing you the most for the next 2-4 years.  I don't think it makes much sense to think beyond that time frame when it comes to bike purchases.  It isn't that a bike cannot last a whole lot longer than that.  (I have a 14-year old commuter that has never once been in the shop.)  Rather, your desires and tastes are likely to have changed in that time.

Third (but not necessarily third in importance) -- fit is very important.  If the bike fits you poorly, you are less likely to enjoy riding it, which means that in the long run, you will probably not ride it as much.  In general, if you have to err, I think it is better to err on the side of too small rather than too large.  A small frame can often be effectively enlarged by moving the seat back and up, the bars forward, etc.  It can be more difficult to make a large frame 'smaller'.

Finally, passion and love for the bike is important!  If you love the bike -- if it makes you WANT to ride -- then you will probably ride it more.  And there's a lot to be said for that!

ETA:  Rene and I just cross-posted -- we are saying more or less the same thing.  So that's a good sign...

Edited by Experior 2012-04-10 9:40 PM
2012-04-11 5:48 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jen-I agree with everything Michael and Rene said above.  Fit is very important.  When I started triathlons I bought a decent road bike and within 2 months bought a tri bike.  Buy what will make you want to ride.  If you don't "like" your bike you will not want to ride......same applies if it does not fit well.

Randy

2012-04-11 8:31 AM

User image

Regular
Charlotte, NC

Morning commute done.  Had to wear a jacket and tights for the first time since Feb, a bit chilly this morning.

Oh new bike discussion.  I agree with everyone said before, fit and liking to ride the bike are important.

-Steve

2012-04-11 8:41 AM

User image

Master

I also agree with Rene, Michael, and Randy.  The most important thing is fit.  If you love your bike you will ride it more.  Riding more leads to better times at races.  Better times lead to more races.  More races lead to a better you!  The one thing I "sort of" disagree with is component level.  If you see yourself continuing to ride an hour or two each week, then components do not matter.  However, if you are going to build up your volume to 80-100 miles a week or more, then Shimano 105/SRAM Rival or is what to look for in a group set.  It will stay tuned longer, last longer, is smoother and a little quieter, and this will make you ride more, which leads to better times, which leads to.....  

The 105/Rival group set is basically accepted as the break point between casual rider, and enthusiast/entry level race components. Shimano uses trickle down technology, so the newer 105 is the Ultegra of a few years ago.  SRAM has essentially the same technology in Rival/Force/Red, but the components get lighter and are made of slighter better material as you move up in price point.  

Just my opinion.  YMMV.  Raining here today.  Looks like a treadmill run, and some time on the trainer.  

Have a good hump day everyone.

2012-04-11 8:45 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I bought an inexpensive bike (relatively) and a little more than a year later I had purchased a much more expensive (and way sexier) bike. I wish I would have skipped the step with the less expensive bike and just gotten something I really loved from the start.

Also, even with my new bike, I dreaded riding it until I bought my Cobb saddle. It made by rear end's contact with the bike so much more enjoyable. It still gets a little uncomfortable after a couple hours but way, way better than the old saddle.
2012-04-11 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Denton

I learned a valuable lesson this morning! I have completed 3 Sprint Triathlons and multiple running races including a marathon and I thought I knew what I am talking about.

It is interesting how much there is to learn!

This morning it was time for my swim workout. I woke up and had a cup of coffee, went to the gym and swam 1000 meters to warm up which is usually a very easy swim for me but today it was a little tougher. I was going to do 4x50 meter repeats, 2x 100 meter repeats and 1x 200 meter repeat and then go backwards after my warm-up. but by the time I got to the 4x50 meters repeats done I was exhausted ... Sleep, Nutrition, Sleep, Nutrition ... eat well before the swim ... REMEMBER!

Never workout on only coffee :-) Fuel is important ...

2012-04-11 12:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Ok, I need some clothing advice. My first race is just about a month away, and I want to go ahead and have all my clothing so I can start training in them and practicing transitions. I am trying to decide between buying tri shorts and top, or a trisuit. What have all of you gone with? Also, any recommendations on brands, or lines within brands?
2012-04-11 1:47 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jamie-most of my tri clothing is Desoto brand.  I really like the quality, feel and sizing.  I have used 2 piece and 1 piece and like the 2 piece (separate top and bottom) better.  You will want it to fit TIGHT...it will loosen up a bit when it gets wet.  Don't worry about how you look.....there will be scores of similarly clad lycra/spandex wearing folks at your race.

Randy

2012-04-11 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4143619

User image

Expert

WoodrowCall - 2012-04-11 12:19 PM Ok, I need some clothing advice. My first race is just about a month away, and I want to go ahead and have all my clothing so I can start training in them and practicing transitions. I am trying to decide between buying tri shorts and top, or a trisuit. What have all of you gone with? Also, any recommendations on brands, or lines within brands?

What distance race?  Will you wear a wetsuit?  These are some of the things I consider.  For longer races, I put more emphasis on comfort even if it means taking a little more time in transition.  If wetsuit, is this something you will wear under the wetsuit or not? Do you need the extra padding of certain bike shorts that may be lacking in a tri suit?

One advantage for having a separate tri top and shorts is versatility, especially when you will be doing more races in the future.  Then with your shorts, you can decide if you want to wear a tank, a bike shirt, or even a full sleeve shirt in cooler temps.  With a full tri suit, you are committed to the same top and bottom.

My 2 cents, Jim

2012-04-11 2:53 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Silly question but I am a computer dummy. Can someone describe, in excruciating detail, how I would add all of you as friends on my account. I would love to do so but have yet to figure out how to go about it. Thanks in advance.

I have both one piece and two piece tri outfits. I seem to wear the two piece outfits most of the time but I have been thinking about rocking the one piece a little more this summer. It seems like, at most races, most people have separate tri tops and bottoms. Just my observation.

I would also like to second the DeSoto recomendation. The high end DeSoto tri shorts are worth every penny. I have not had as much luck with their tops but I pretty much only race and train in DeSoto forza shorts. I have decided that shorts are not a good place to skimp/save money.
2012-04-11 3:06 PM
in reply to: #4143869

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
jimmyb - 2012-04-11 2:59 PM

WoodrowCall - 2012-04-11 12:19 PM Ok, I need some clothing advice. My first race is just about a month away, and I want to go ahead and have all my clothing so I can start training in them and practicing transitions. I am trying to decide between buying tri shorts and top, or a trisuit. What have all of you gone with? Also, any recommendations on brands, or lines within brands?

What distance race?  Will you wear a wetsuit?  These are some of the things I consider.  For longer races, I put more emphasis on comfort even if it means taking a little more time in transition.  If wetsuit, is this something you will wear under the wetsuit or not? Do you need the extra padding of certain bike shorts that may be lacking in a tri suit?

One advantage for having a separate tri top and shorts is versatility, especially when you will be doing more races in the future.  Then with your shorts, you can decide if you want to wear a tank, a bike shirt, or even a full sleeve shirt in cooler temps.  With a full tri suit, you are committed to the same top and bottom.

My 2 cents, Jim

Thanks for the input, everybody. My first race is a Sprint and I won't be wearing a wetsuit. I am going to wait for my first planned Olympic distance in October to buy one of those. It sounds like everyone recommends the two-piece, which is what I was leaning toward in the first place. 

On another note, just got done with my first swim/run workout...and that was tough. 750 meters in the pool, then threw on shorts and shoes (first time running with no socks) and did 3.1 on the treadmill. I feel good, but the ol' legs are definitely tired!

2012-04-11 4:41 PM

User image

Master
I will second the recommendation for Desoto.  Love their products, and they have excellent customer support.  I use the Desoto forze tri short for up to Olympic distance, and used a pair of Forza Riviera Tri shorts in last week's HIM with great results in the comfort department.   The Forza shorts have a fleece pad, and the Riviera have a medium weight pad, that I had no issues running in.  I have even read of folks doing an IM event in the Desoto 400 mile shorts ??with no issues on the run.  I love riding in the 400 mile shorts on my road bike, but find the padding a bit too thick when on my tri bike which has a Cobb saddle which is wider than my road bike saddle.
2012-04-11 5:47 PM
in reply to: #4144020

User image

Expert

wannabefaster - 2012-04-11 2:53 PM Silly question but I am a computer dummy. Can someone describe, in excruciating detail, how I would add all of you as friends on my account. I would love to do so but have yet to figure out how to go about it.

Go to Settings (the little monkey wrench icon near the very top of this page), then click Training Blog Customization, then click Friends and fill in the names exactly as they appear.  Then when done click the Update Friends icon at the bottom of the page.

Edited by jimmyb 2012-04-11 5:49 PM

2012-04-11 6:03 PM

User image

Expert

I'd like to open a discussion on which discipline (Swim/Bike/Run) you believe to be your strongest, and do you train proportionately harder in the other 2 to make up for this?  As a late bloomer, and having not played any sports in highschool outside of golf, I really don't believe I have an area where I excel in s/b/r. 

Based on my times at races, I tend to place highest in the bike so I guess that is my strongest of the three.  With that in mind, do you modify your plans accordingly to enhance the other disciplines, or do you stick exactly to your plan?

2012-04-11 7:33 PM

User image

Master
X2 on De Soto tri shorts. The best one-piece tri suit is Kiwami. They have exceptional customer service and clothing. I have one of their tri suits and swim skins. Their tri suit basically feels like you aren't wearing any clothing. Which is a good thing in my opinion. I don't want to think about what I have on during a race.
2012-04-11 8:24 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Tri clothing/first race-thought about this today while running.  Don't try to put a tri top on after the swim.  Its really hard and you will burn alot of time in T1.

If you are not using a wetsuit or a swim skin a one piece is going to be your fastest.   Some tri's will let you race without a shirt (guys of course) but some will not.  If you go the two piece rout make sure yor top is really tight.  Don't want a loose shirt slowing you down.

Randy 

2012-04-11 9:24 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Clothing:  I went with tri shorts and top (typically different brands -- I was just looks for a good fit and the features I want) for a long time, and will still wear that combination in some races.  Last year I did ITU worlds, and they required us to wear a one-piece 'Team USA' suit.  I was apprehensive, but after I got it and tried it on, I LOVED it.  It is super-comfy and for some silly reason, 'feels fast'.  But in the end, it really is about finding what fits and feels good and of course this will be different for different people.  Don't worry about looks -- it isn't a fashion show -- but if you feel that the suit 'looks cool', there's no harm in that.  Wink  
2012-04-11 9:48 PM
in reply to: #4144439

User image

Veteran
Denton
jimmyb - 2012-04-11 6:03 PM

I'd like to open a discussion on which discipline (Swim/Bike/Run) you believe to be your strongest, and do you train proportionately harder in the other 2 to make up for this?  As a late bloomer, and having not played any sports in highschool outside of golf, I really don't believe I have an area where I excel in s/b/r. 

Based on my times at races, I tend to place highest in the bike so I guess that is my strongest of the three.  With that in mind, do you modify your plans accordingly to enhance the other disciplines, or do you stick exactly to your plan?

I was always a swimmer ... my grandfather used to be a life guard all throughout his life and so was my dad. So i used to hang out with my grandparents over the summer and swim everyday.

I was never a great runner and was always better at the sprint than endurance races. Playing soccer for many many years helps with the sprints. 

I didn't ride my bike very often when I was younger and I think that the bike is my weakest disciplines. 

The discipline I train in the most is the discipline where i can gain the most time. My biking sucks and I can shave at least 5 minutes of my sprint triathlon time. 

2012-04-11 9:57 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
jimmyb - 2012-04-11 7:03 PM

This is a great topic, and one that I have thought about a bit for myself.  I don't really have a solid response, but here are some initial thoughts.  Maybe I'll ponder this a bit more and weigh in again later with some other thoughts.

I'd say that you might consider using your superior bike to set yourself up for a great run (by backing of a bit on the bike).  When you place high in the bike, do you feel that you do it because you bike harder than others (relative to your overall ability)?  Or are you already biking within your limits to run well?  If the former, then I think there is value in maintaining bike fitness, improving run fitness, backing off on the bike during the race, and letting that new run fitness really 'shine through' during the race.  But if you are already biking within appropriate limits and (therefore) running to your potential, you might see more overall benefit by getting even better bike fitness.  After all, it is the longest portion of the race, so you have the most potential time to gain there.

Now, in case there's anything valuable in here for you, I'll tell you how I'm currently thinking about this very topic for myself (and thanks for prompting me to think about it -- I'd be very interested to hear how others assess themselves on this point).

First, without doubt, swim is my weakest discipline.  There's no doubt about that.  (I am very much MOP on swim, FOP on bike and run.)

I tend to think of myself as stronger in the run than on the bike.  I'm no threat to podium overall when the really fast guys show up, but I do OK, and seem to count as FOP even in very large races.   I've never done a standalone bike race, but I feel pretty sure that I'd be very much MOP.  No way would I be a threat to podium or even sniff the podium, even in a small race. I have no evidence for this -- but that's how I feel about it.

In tris, my bike and run splits are pretty similar (relative to the field).  I don't know what to make of this.  Maybe I'm going too hard on the bike so that my run splits don't reflect my better run ability.  (My tri runs are almost always disappointing relative to my open run times, event taking into account the fact that I just biked.)  Maybe this 'strategy' is stupid and I should back off on the bike and allow myself to run what I'm capable of running.  On the other hand, the bike is the longest portion of the race, so maybe it's smart to 'waste' some energy there to catch up with the FOP and at least give myself a chance on the run.  Obviously it's a balancing act, and I'm sure I haven't found the right balance yet.

As for training, that too is a mixed bag, for me.  On the one hand, I want to do well in races, and I try to train accordingly.  Among other things, this means I should train more on the swim.  I'm in such a huge hole after the swim that there is basically no chance of catching up with the podium guys after that (because they are, on average, as fast as I am on the bike and run).  On the other hand, I do this for fun and satisfaction, and while I definitely DO get some satisfaction -- and occasionally (OK, rarely) 'fun' -- from swimming, if you gave me a choice between swimming, biking, or running, I'd choose to run 6 times out of 10, and bike 4 times out of ten.  And yet, I have no desire to become a duathlete...

The one thing I'm convinced of (this year...) is that biking as much as possible is the key to my potential success at IMWI this year, and so I plan to do a LOT more biking like I did this weekend -- long and hard!  I love riding that way, so it's easy to get excited about doing it.

2012-04-11 9:59 PM
in reply to: #4144813

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
d3term1ned - 2012-04-11 10:48 PM
jimmyb - 2012-04-11 6:03 PM

I was always a swimmer ... my grandfather used to be a life guard all throughout his life and so was my dad. So i used to hang out with my grandparents over the summer and swim everyday.

I was never a great runner and was always better at the sprint than endurance races. Playing soccer for many many years helps with the sprints. 

I didn't ride my bike very often when I was younger and I think that the bike is my weakest disciplines. 

The discipline I train in the most is the discipline where i can gain the most time. My biking sucks and I can shave at least 5 minutes of my sprint triathlon time. 

You're much more succinct than I am, and it sounds like you're spot on.  I do think that the bike is where many people can make a lot of gains, especially people who already swim well.

2012-04-12 5:31 AM

User image

Master
jimmyb - 2012-04-11 10:03 PM

I'm most comfortable running. Even if I've had a disastrous swim and bike, I'd always be relieved to be on my feet and running. I'm not the fastest runner, but I know that I can pick off a few people once I get to that part of the race even if I came out of the water last. When I trained for my tris my concentration was on swimming first, biking second, and running was the last, but the most confident of my priorities.

Rough week for me. I'm tired, hungry, and crabby. I've gotten zero triathlon training in. Running and soccer training are on par, but that's not why I'm here. I have two soccer games this weekend to top it off. After this week I'll be able to focus a bit more.

2012-04-12 6:53 AM

User image

Master
Blanda, Sorry to hear that you've had a rough week. Sometimes we have those weeks where training just doesn't work out. You're still running and playing soccer so that has to count for some serious run and cross training!

I'll be out of town this weekend volunteering at a triathlon camp with Team Red, White and Blue. http://teamrwbtriathlon.blogspot.com/p/mission.html

The car is packed and ready to leave immediately after work. It should be a wonderful weekend!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior and Slornow's Spring/Summer Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 100