BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mamma Amy Knows Best - Mentor Group Year One - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2013-01-15 8:21 AM
in reply to: #4578402

User image

Subject: RE: Mamma Amy Knows Best - Mentor Group Year One - CLOSED

Very good news! Glad to hear it.

jeuart - 2013-01-13 7:03 PM I got good news at the doctor today. The knee pain that's been bothering me for the last week is just bursitis. He said running on the ice is really tough on the hamstrings so that probably is what started the problem. The good news is that you can run through bursitis without doing any additional damage. So as long as I'm not actively limping, I'm good to get back to training. I had bursitis in my hip before and I got over it in a few weeks. Doctor's sending me to physical therapy on Friday to get an assessment and get some exercises I can do at home. Ice. Rest. Advil. But overall, no big deal. I'm in less pain today, so the plan for tomorrow is to go to the Y, run a short 15 minutes on the treadmill to test it out, upper body weight lifting, then a short swim. If I feel fine after that, Wednesday I'll get on the trainer for 30-45 minutes and I should be back on track. Laughing

2013-01-15 8:23 AM
in reply to: #4544169

User image

Sooo coffee talk in my house this morning was all about Lance Armstrong and cheating in general. I'm not even sure if I'll watch the interview on Oprah and to be honest I am pretty much just over the whole thing. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. What do you guys think? Will you be watching the interview?
2013-01-15 8:57 AM

Raleigh, NC

I for one, will not be watching the interview.  There is nothing he can say that will make me think he deserves any kind of forgiveness.  Of course, I can't compare my measly attempts at swimming/biking/running/stumbling to an elite athlete's.  But what I do know, is that I approach that start line on the basis of my hard work training -- and nothing else.

Martha

2013-01-15 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4579096

mcenteno - 2013-01-15 8:57 AM

I for one, will not be watching the interview.  There is nothing he can say that will make me think he deserves any kind of forgiveness.  Of course, I can't compare my measly attempts at swimming/biking/running/stumbling to an elite athlete's.  But what I do know, is that I approach that start line on the basis of my hard work training -- and nothing else.

Martha

Couldn't agree more. Anyone can cheat and if he really was sorry he 1. Wouldn't have done it or 2. Would have come clean a long time ago. I think he is just sorry he got caught.
2013-01-15 12:02 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Hmmm, I'm not sure if I'll watch or not. I don't think I get OWN... but, on a happier note, there's a great article in the NYT today about little things that made HUGE differences in the training of elite athletes. And it wasn't blood infusions or PEDs. I have a link to the article in my blog: http://cupofg.blogspot.com/2013/01/stay-focused.html?m=0 Happy reading and happy Tuesday!! It's FREEZING here in California.
2013-01-15 5:34 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

gmorning - great article, thanks!

I must be getting old I used to be such a black and white person. A few years ago I would have said Lance Armstrong is a cheat and he deserves to be publicly humiliated and he should be made to endure all the pain and shame he is so deserving of. It is kind of strange  though, I believe I have become a more forgiving person over the past few years. I am a big baseball fan up here in Boston we live and die with our Red Sox. I was sickened and heartbroken with Roger Clemens, Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz. Where was Major League Baseball, they knew this was going on but let it exist. The same with cycling's governing body the UCI they knew in 2001 that Lance Armstrong failed a test in Swtizerland but covered it up because cycling was doing so well which was the same with baseball. Well with that being said I feel bad for all those that were not taking PEDs but I would bet there were plenty that were and still are doing the same thing. Tyler Hamilton who gave back his 2004 olympic gold medal said it was hard pedaling next to a guy who you saw getting the special team bag and he finally gave in. I don't condone using PEDs in any way shape or form, heck I haven't even touched alcohol in over 25 years. I think of the human body as being a sanctuary and everyone should be very careful as to what they expose it to. I believe the governing bodies of these sports are the villians here and the athletes and fans of these sports are the victims. Anyway I hope this little rant does not offend anyone but yes, I guess I will be watching Thursday night.

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-01-15 5:44 PM

2013-01-15 6:39 PM

User image

New user

I got in my first training since I hurt my knee a week ago. I feel pretty good - emotionally and physically. I think I'm addicted to exercise. I feel grumpy and tired without it.

I ran tonight - slow and very short. 5WU, 3R, 1W, 3R, 5CD. I just wanted to test my knee. It hurt a little while I was running, but that's not unusual with bursitis. The real test is to see how it feels tomorrow. If it isn't any worse, I'll add a few minutes when I run again on Thursday. And if I get my act together, I'll ice it a little bit tonight.

I was going to lift weights, but the Y was a madhouse. I can't wait until things thin out over the next few weeks. The free weight area can be intimidating on a normal day. I'm almost always the only woman. I couldn't summon the courage today to work my way in to use the tiny weights.

I also got in a very short swim. It was my first swim since late November. It wasn't too bad, although I was rusty and easily fatigued. I had to trick myself into going by telling myself all I was required to do was put on my gear and get in the water. After that, I had permission to leave. But I ended up doing a few laps. It actually felt good to get back into the water, even though swimming is my least favorite part of training.

Assuming the knee feels good, tomorrow will be a short 30-minute trainer ride.

2013-01-15 8:42 PM

Raleigh, NC

I too suffer from my knees hurting especially after my long runs.  I went out and bought the Ace multipurpose cold/heat compresses.  I always have them in the freezer ready to go.  When I come in from a run I automatically wrap one around each knee and continue to go about my business.  Very convenient since they stay put even as you walk around.  I definitely feel the difference when I ice down on a regular basis.

Martha

2013-01-15 9:11 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

Nice job jeuart on getting back into it. Smile

I had a little scare this past weekend, when out on a short light run I started having blurry vision and saw white spots. This was really wierd because I ran 10 miles the day before and was perfectly fine. I went to see the doctor and he checked everyting out. First they had an eye doctor look at my eyes and everything was fine there, I think they may have been looking for a detached retina. After ruling that out he checked my blood pressure which was considered low at 112 over 66 then he ran an ekg which we had a baseline done during my annual checkup in Ocotber and everything looked fine. He said given my symptons he diaganosed it as a dehydration episode, if I was blacking out he would have been more concerned of circulatory blockage issues but heart and blood flow sounded good. Like I said this was a little scary because it never happened to me before I usually drink 8 glasses a day but I just got really busy and forgot. The doctor said if this ever happens again stop running, squat so the blood does not have as far to travel. During exercise blood moves away from the brain and eyes. Anyway feeling fine now so everyone remember be careful out there and drink plenty of fluids the day before, that is when the hydration should begin.

Had a good swim on Monday and today did a 60 minute spin class along with a 30 minute running brick (first one) at 135 bpm pace.

Up until now I have just been winging it and I would really like to get into a good training plan that will get me ready for both my half marathon and sprint tri. I am doing my master swimming class but it seems most of the plans I have looked at assume you can swim for 20 minutes straight which I am not there yet, any suggestions?

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-01-15 9:24 PM
2013-01-15 10:40 PM

New user

Evrryone sounds like they are doing a great job. Forgive me for being out of the loop. Four kids is....well...for kids. My family is signed up for a Color Me Rad race...all six of us in April. Trying to get all involved. My weight.....yikes. Started logging meals..cal...fat..etc. Now I need to move. Oh to be the size I was in highschool......
2013-01-15 11:46 PM
in reply to: #4580367

User image

New user
Baton Rouge, LA

If you would like I can e-mail a sprint tri training plan to you that I have used.

It sounds like your episode was in-deed a hydration issue. That happened to me for my first half marathon. Shortly after I finished running I had the same symptoms but I vomited and completely blacked out while trying to walk/crawl to the bathroom. I was feeling much better once they got my hydrated. Stay safe out there and heed your doctors warning!

2013-01-15 11:50 PM
in reply to: #4580470

User image

New user
Baton Rouge, LA

Sorry I haven't been on much! Between a sick 2 year old and freaking out about my half marathon on Sunday I have been a little ADD and stressed. I promise to be on here much more after Sunday's race.

Happy training everyone!

2013-01-16 7:55 AM
in reply to: #4580470

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
LSUrunningmom - 2013-01-16 12:46 AM

If you would like I can e-mail a sprint tri training plan to you that I have used.

It sounds like your episode was in-deed a hydration issue. That happened to me for my first half marathon. Shortly after I finished running I had the same symptoms but I vomited and completely blacked out while trying to walk/crawl to the bathroom. I was feeling much better once they got my hydrated. Stay safe out there and heed your doctors warning!

Thanks! That half marathon story sounds like it must have been pretty scarry, I am glad you were OK. One of the main reasons I am doing this is to get healthy and increase my chances to be around here for my loved ones for a very long time. Good luck on the half!

2013-01-16 9:50 AM

What are realistic running times for big boned folks on 1/2 and full marathons? Also, how far should I be after 1st hr 2nd hr etc...?
2013-01-16 9:50 AM

What are realistic running times for big boned folks on 1/2 and full marathons? Also, how far should I be after 1st hr 2nd hr etc...?
2013-01-16 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4580915

User image

New user
Baton Rouge, LA

I'm not a fast runner but the fastest I have completed a half is 3:13:30. I'm going for a 3:10:00 or under finish Sunday since I will be on a course I know and it is flat and fast. Again, I am slow but that if my fastest time. 

I maintained a 14:46 pace (although my first 6 or 7 miles were much faster). So at mile one it took me 0:14:46 to get there, my 5k was 0:45:46, my 10k time was 1:31:33, and my 15k time was 2:17:19, with a finish time of the 13.1 mile race of 3:13:30.

Hope this helps for the half! I haven't done a full so I can't help you there.

Edited by LSUrunningmom 2013-01-16 10:14 AM

2013-01-16 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4580685

User image

New user
Baton Rouge, LA
That's how I got into training, running, and racing also.
2013-01-16 6:14 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Ok guys, I have a very silly question - you can raz me after you give me an answer. All of the beginner sprint tri training programs I've looked at combine running and swimming, and typically have biking on another day alone (unless it's a brick day, of course). Is there some reason why I can't do biking/swimming on one day and running on the other? Why does running always seem to be paired with swimming? Thanks, g
2013-01-16 6:49 PM
in reply to: #4581767

User image

New user

gmorning - 2013-01-16 7:14 PM Ok guys, I have a very silly question - you can raz me after you give me an answer. All of the beginner sprint tri training programs I've looked at combine running and swimming, and typically have biking on another day alone (unless it's a brick day, of course). Is there some reason why I can't do biking/swimming on one day and running on the other? Why does running always seem to be paired with swimming? Thanks, g

I hadn't noticed that. No idea. I combine my swimming with weight training since I have to go to the Y for both. But I can run anytime, anywhere just fine. And about a month ago, I got my trainer set up so I can bike at home. But maybe for some people, they have to get to a gym to bike during the off season? Maybe it doesn't really matter as long as you get the workouts in.

BTW, I enjoyed your blog. I've been thinking about trying the Total Immersion swimming program. Might as well give it shot. It's not that much money to order the DVDs. And I had no real swimming experience before spring, so I really need to catch up.

2013-01-16 6:58 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Thanks about the blog . Like I said, it keeps me honest. I have the same issue with the gym: for me I go there to swim and bike, so ideally I'd like to combine those workouts, rather than doing a run/swim (I run around my neighborhood.) Good to hear that there isn't any magic to it. Good luck with the total immersion - there are coaches around the country, too, who do seminars, privates, etc.
2013-01-16 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4580367

User image

Yikes - scary. Good thing you got to the doctor. It's also good that your doctor was so calm about it.

I also learned this year that the dehydration can lead to low blood pressure - good to know.

JREDFLY - 2013-01-14 10:11 PM

Nice job jeuart on getting back into it. Smile

I had a little scare this past weekend, when out on a short light run I started having blurry vision and saw white spots. This was really wierd because I ran 10 miles the day before and was perfectly fine. I went to see the doctor and he checked everyting out. First they had an eye doctor look at my eyes and everything was fine there, I think they may have been looking for a detached retina. After ruling that out he checked my blood pressure which was considered low at 112 over 66 then he ran an ekg which we had a baseline done during my annual checkup in Ocotber and everything looked fine. He said given my symptons he diaganosed it as a dehydration episode, if I was blacking out he would have been more concerned of circulatory blockage issues but heart and blood flow sounded good. Like I said this was a little scary because it never happened to me before I usually drink 8 glasses a day but I just got really busy and forgot. The doctor said if this ever happens again stop running, squat so the blood does not have as far to travel. During exercise blood moves away from the brain and eyes. Anyway feeling fine now so everyone remember be careful out there and drink plenty of fluids the day before, that is when the hydration should begin.

Had a good swim on Monday and today did a 60 minute spin class along with a 30 minute running brick (first one) at 135 bpm pace.

Up until now I have just been winging it and I would really like to get into a good training plan that will get me ready for both my half marathon and sprint tri. I am doing my master swimming class but it seems most of the plans I have looked at assume you can swim for 20 minutes straight which I am not there yet, any suggestions?

2013-01-16 7:52 PM
in reply to: #4580915

User image

I would say expect to run in the race what you run in training - pace wise. Maybe a touch faster.

When you get to the pre-race expo look for a pacing band. It goes around your wrist and shows you where you want to be based on your hopeful finish time. For example you could pick a pacing band for 2:00 or 2:30 finish time for your half marathon.

For my first marathon I had at least 3 on my arms because I wasn't sure which pace was most likely for me.

Some races have also got pace leaders. These are friendly folks who run at a predetermined pace to help runners hit their pace targets. They carry a pace sign and sometimes even balloons. When I wanted to break 2 hours for a half marathon I started with the 2 hour pacer and it was very helpful.

D_L_B - 2013-01-15 10:50 AM What are realistic running times for big boned folks on 1/2 and full marathons? Also, how far should I be after 1st hr 2nd hr etc...?

2013-01-16 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4581767

User image

Good question. The only time I run and swim on the same day is Saturday because I run near the beach and swim after. So, I'm not sure it has to be that way unless it works for you.

gmorning - 2013-01-15 7:14 PM Ok guys, I have a very silly question - you can raz me after you give me an answer. All of the beginner sprint tri training programs I've looked at combine running and swimming, and typically have biking on another day alone (unless it's a brick day, of course). Is there some reason why I can't do biking/swimming on one day and running on the other? Why does running always seem to be paired with swimming? Thanks, g

2013-01-17 7:28 PM

User image

Veteran
I got in a lunchtime swim and an evening trainer ride.  Too much slacking earlier in the week.
2013-01-18 7:19 AM

User image

Good morning everyone and happy Friday. This is my rest day today - I do love my rest days. We are also having a Florida cold snap (brrrr Smile). So I'm happy to not be at the pool specifically in this cool weather. I have a short-ish long run tomorrow and I need to actually register for next week's race. Then Sunday a long-ish cycle planned.

What does everyone else have on schedule for the weekend?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mamma Amy Knows Best - Mentor Group Year One - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24