BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2013-01-03 5:38 PM
in reply to: #4544229

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed.

Ok Steve, I just looked at another workout plan building to 55 miles per week for my marathon in March.  It has me running 6 days a week.  Is that normal?  Would that hurt my swim and cycling?  I think you said that I would be only able to maintain my cycling, but I need to improve my swim.  Ideas?

2013-01-03 6:16 PM
in reply to: #4560130

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
squirt - 2013-01-03 1:33 PM

Mike, negative wind chills, cold basement, bare lightbulb...remind me of this when I complain about the summer heat here.  And it really sounds like you need to throw in some duct tape in that computer stand set up!

Pam, you inspired me to volunteer to help staff packet pickup for the upcoming club 5K/15K .  Re: the shoe wear, I think some pairs just wear out faster than others.   I had to ditch my last pair a bit early.  Not sure if it was the shoes, or an overly aggressive bump in mileage, or all of the above, but was having foot/ankle/achilles pain.  I switched brands, took an unscheduled rest, got a bit more realistic with what I could handle training wise, and the feet are better now.

Samantha, time to get your ironman face on .

OK, as I approach my 2nd date with the marathon distance I'm questioning my nutrition options.  Are there any particular products that work well for any of you?  I'm finding the solids hard to chew without having to walk (shot blocks, sport beans), and am not fond of gu due to the mess and blech factor (I don't always take in a whole one at a time, so what to do with 1/2 a gu??).  Do you drink sports drink early on, or save that for later in the race?

Carol, WTG on the volunteering!!!!  Make sure to record under Other Sports just so you'll remember.  As for the nutrition, I was having trouble with GU and went over to PowerBar gel.  It seemed to help but then I still had digestive issues after the race; found that I wasn't drinking enough water right after the gels.  Now when time for a gel, I start walking just before the aid station, take my gel, toss the empty packet, grab some water, drink, and then go again.  Prob takes about 20 secs.  I always do water after gels - never sports drink.  Good idea to alternate the sports drinks and water at the stops.  But other nutrition ideas are: dried apricots, protein bites, and fig newtons.  Also, the aid stations may have things for you.  One of my races had orange slices at every aid station and another had so many spectators giving us fruit and candy.  Also, have you used salt tablets or anything?  I use endurolytes and try to alternate the endurolytes with the gels every thirty min. 'Couse you know, try out everything beforehand.  {I say that and in my first ultra, absolutely everything I had used in practice was not appealing that day.  I tried something completely different and it worked great for me - thankfully.}  And finally, you may want to set up a timer on your watch to beep to remind you of nutrition.  Sometimes I've gotten caught up in everything and just forgot; dang hard to catch up on the nutrition after that.  I'm mentioned all of this but I think you'll do great!

Hubby put the trainer in the garage and got a tv and dvd player set up for the Spinnervals dvds.  But the cutie has already called me out there twice to get things going for him because he has trouble with all technology.  I may have to start recording my mileage for going to the garage over and over.

2013-01-03 7:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Hi guys, I'm still here but the last two days haven't gone well.  I had to work second shift on New Years day and my front axel went.  That left me more or less out to dry for yesterday and then I had to coach my sons basketball team tonight....of course game finished too late for me to get to the Y for a swim.  No excuses, just letting you know why I've been quieter than I have been thus far.

Carol, I'm not Steve but I can give you some ideas of what I've used.  I was going to suggest hammer gels but someone beat me to that.  I've also used Egels http://www.cranksports.com/products/eGel/ and they have a thinner consistency which you appear to prefer.  I've also made my own "gel" by using chia gel (soaking chia seeds in water...it creates a gel) with honey and salt.  The downside to that is I don't know how you'd carry it.  I usually run in basketball shorts (spandex underneath) so I use a 12oz Agave Nectar bottle with my creation and take it out of my pocket as needed.  Hope the suggestions help!

2013-01-03 8:23 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Thanks Pam, Jay, and Ken!  You are expanding my nutrition ideas...much needed! I haven't tried salt/electrolyte replacements, but do have a history of cramps in warmer weather.  Hoping Cowtown will be cool.  Long runs are ramping up (18 on tap for this weekend) so definitely time to nail down what I'll be doing.  I have Type 1 diabetes and wear an insulin pump, so have to be pretty meticulous on timing and such in order to keep my insulin/carbs/output in balance.  Definitely more art than science some days though. 

Jay, no shame in life/higher priorities trumping training at times.  Keep posting regardless and you will find support here. 

2013-01-04 1:19 AM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
I have to say thanks to this group & honest input from Steve, I had my best run yet. Had to get up at 4:00 am to catch a flight for work, got home at 7, spent a couple hours with the family then put in an 8 mile run. I think that might be the longest run EVER for me. My calf finally felt good. I was given some advise at the local running shop to use a ball to roll around on my calf and so far it seems to be working so I am pretty excited about that!

On a side note has anyone read Chrissies book. I am not a big reader at home, but on flights I do. I am 3/4 of the way through the book and it is pretty good.
2013-01-04 4:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Good morning guys.  I got up with the goal of doing an hour on the bike...had to stop after 30 min because I woke up my son   I was trying to speak to a half awake 8 year old to see if he woke up because of me or he needed to use the bathroom...best I could get was "grumble, grumble, both"  Either way, a better start to my day than the last few!

I'd like to throw out a few bike questions to everyone.  I'm curious as to just how much time everyone spends on their aerobars when they ride?  Thus far, I've found that I can lie on them for a minute or so but I'm not comfortable enough to stay there constantly.  My normal position is leaning on the handlebars like you would when you rode a 10 speed bike.  I'm not sure if the bike is like the swim, you just have to get used to some things that aren't naturally comfortable to you.

Carol, if you have cramping issues in the heat...join the club!  I have had some of those issues in the past.  Some solutions that worked for me (in a marathon setting) are the chia gel mix I mentioned, using coconut water in my camelbak on raceday with my custom Infinit mix (heck, using a camelbak too!), saltstick http://saltstick.com/  , and take a magnesium vitamin supplement for all 7 days prior to my race.  Is some of what I do going overboard...probably but there's no worse feeling than being dehydrated during a race and knowing there's nothing you can do about it until hours after you cross the finish line.

Happy Friday all!

Edit: congrats on the run Brian.  I saw that you have had some calf issues....do you use compression socks?  Maybe its a placebo but I always use them on race day and between that and different in race nutrition all cramping/pain in calves haven't shown up in quite awhile now.

Edited by medeiros13 2013-01-04 4:05 AM

2013-01-04 7:25 AM

New user
Norwalk, Ohio
Jay, I know when I first started riding a lot, I couldn't stay in the aero position very long.  It didn't take long to get used to it, though.  If the ride is flat, I eventually stayed in them most of the time. 
2013-01-04 7:40 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Nice work, folks. Brian - great run!

As for aerobars, I try to stay on them as much as possible weather I"m on the road or the trainer. Its easier on the trainer as I have no cars, traffic signs, or other road hazards to be concerned about.

I'll take a picture of the laptop 'stand' tonight, and let everyone see my trainer of misery set up. Its not pretty, but training is all about learning to operate while suffering, so it all works out .

HIM training starts for me on 1/14, and I can't wait. I know I've been a near total slacker the past few months, but I'm turning the page on 2012, and looking forward to having the best year yet. And the best part is the big family vacation I'll be going on a few days after my last race in August. Will be great to go relax, have fun, and reflect on what will hopefully be a season of great races, great fitness, and fun.  Then I'm coming home & signing up for Ironman Louisville for 2014 

2013-01-04 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Had a nice swim today.  Beginning to feel more comfortable in the pool.  Still working on bilateral breathing.  Always a challenge.  

Question for those riding outside.  Do you use your tri bike for all rides or do you use a road bike?  

2013-01-04 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4561499

kmatt318 - 2013-01-04 8:51 AM

Had a nice swim today.  Beginning to feel more comfortable in the pool.  Still working on bilateral breathing.  Always a challenge.  

I have yet to master bilateral breathing. Any tips fom the group?Someone posted about some super duper wool socks that keep your feet warm and dry even when running in cold wet surroundings. Can you provide the brand? I can't find the post.
2013-01-04 9:03 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois

Hi everybody!

Jay - about the aerobars, i agree with everyone else. You just need time to acclimate the muscles. I could last about 5 minutes in aero at first and each week i could go a little longer. Just keep with it. I don't remember if you mentioned getting your bike fitted, but if you haven't, that could also make a huge difference.

I see a lot of info on gels and nutrition. Good info so far. Even tho it is not as big a concern at my distances, it is good to know all the options out there. My go to fuel seems to be gummy bears. Cheap, easy to carry in a plastic baggy, and easy to consume.

2013-01-04 9:52 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Cheryl -- Smart Wool socks. Love 'em, althought I don't run in them. I have a few pair I wear for casual winter clothing. Will take Steve's suggestion and get a couple pair of the running version. They're pricey (about $15/pr at REI) but hopefully worth it.
2013-01-04 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4561810

Thanks Mike! I'll have to check them out.
2013-01-04 10:55 AM
in reply to: #4561685

Anthony what kind of gummy bears do you eat? I've tried to use them a few times but Wasn't impressed
2013-01-04 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Anthony - Gummy bears sound good, but just a bit too much chewing for me.  Have used Cliff Shot blocks for quite a while, and may wind up going back to them...just kinda lazy about trying to chew and run at the same time, so picked up some Hammer gels to try.

Cheryl - hopefully our fish will chime in the bilateral breathing.  I'm not too good at it either.  At least you guys are getting to the pool right now!

Steve - didn't you have an ortho appt around this time?  How are things looking for you?

Ha, I'm starting to feel like the only one in the group without aero bars

Easy 6 mile run this morning; legs feeling darned good going into tomorrow's long run.  Also not sure I can resist running the 15K next weekend a bit hard.  Curious if my supposed "15K" pace is real right now.  Will see how everything recovers/feels next week. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend of training!

2013-01-04 2:42 PM

User image

Expert

Carol, nice to hear your legs are feeling good. Wishing you a great long run tomorrow. 

I upped my mileage by 4 miles this week and so far feel pretty fine.

Someone mentioned on this thread I think about waterproof mp3 player for swimming? After I read about it, I used a gift certificate I received for Christmas to purchase one. Waiting for it to come.. (it supposed to arrive today)

I want to go try it at the pool. :=)

2013-01-04 3:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Thanks for the input on the aerobars everyone.  I'll add this to my swimming experience; practice will increase comfort!  Speaking of the swimming questions, I'll chime in quickly.  From what I remember when I struggled with bilateral breathing, it was just repitition to get more comfortable.  The one thing I do remember was going in the shallow end and practicing while standing "lying" my head on the water on both sides to get used to the feeling. (hopefully that image makes sense)
2013-01-04 6:11 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Fred, it looks like the 185 is a solid number for you the.  You can check it again in a couple months if you want to double check it.  The only reason I ask is that there are some generic formulas out there and one size does not fit all.  So your LTHR is 10 beats faster than mine.  So your easy pace runs (most of your mileage) would be in the 159-169 range.  Your tempo runs should bump you into the next range for the midle ish mile and your 400 or 800 repeats would be at LTHR (185).

Ken I can't really give you an answer.  It is a matter of priority.  If you want to nail a 3:00:00 to 3:10:00 mary you probably need to run 5-6 days a week bike 2 swim 1 or swim 2.  If you want a solid 3:20:00 ish marathon then you can run 5, bike 3, swim 2 until after your marathon and then shift over to run 4, bike 5, swim 3 or some such.  Maintaining your run building your bike and swim and then add in bricks to your long bike for the last 6 weeks of your build.  So if your marathon is your A race, then the IM training will take a back burner, if your IM is your A race then your Marathon will not be at your potential.  A nice thick run base makes an IM sooo much easier though.  You just need a decent bike base so that you have enough in the tank to make use of it.  So mix and match as you see fit, run 5, bike 2, swim 3 would be about max for a really good marathon assuming both bike rides were no more than 35 miles and swims in the 2000 to 2500 range.  You should have enough time to build your bike and swim after the march marathon though.  Run is the hardest to build quickly. 

Carol, I can't really eat any solids in marathons, I am typically breathing too hard.  I can put a chew or a chomp between my cheek and teeth and gnaw on  it over time, but ya I go with gels because they are just easier.  Gu is a higher viscosity (thicker) gel.  I like the texture and the triberry flavor, it is especially good when it is really thick in the winter.  If you like a thinner gel then yes hammer or some others will work.  Infinit can be used in a super condensed form where you squirt some into 3-4 oz of water at stops.  The last 6 miles of an IM I wil drop back from GU to gatoraid as my gut is usually most sensitve then (from trying to stay hydrated during 96F IMs).  I would just try a whole bunch of stuff and see what works for you.  A marathon is short enough that you have a lot of options.  You need to take in roughly 600 calories and that is way too much gatoraid to drink in that amount of time.  But you can supliment the gatoraid with less of the gels or whatever along the way.  One of the alternatives is ya mix your own or infint your own mix and take it with water along the course, probably with a fuel belt.  Don't carry bottles in your hands, it uses way too much energy unless we are talking less than 5 ounces, then maybe.  You could probably put 300-400 calories of infinit into a 6 oz gel flask, it might be tricky and I haven't tried it but I know some folks do for IMs. (Note that I am basing your calorie use on a 4 hour Mary others will need to subtract or add calories for different times).

Edited by Baowolf 2013-01-04 6:32 PM
2013-01-04 6:35 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Brian the best thing for calves is a marathon stick.  The tennis balls and foam rollers can also be used thigh to good effect or in combination.  Also stretch those calves daily maybe twice daily.

It takes a long time to get confortablein aero for long distances.  If things are too uncomfortable though, there may be a fit issue.  Where you professionaly fit for your bike?

The sock brand is SmartWool socks.  Your feet won't stay dry if you are running in slush or puddles, but they will stay warm.  I have done 20 miles in snow with these socks with warm feet the whole way. 

The only issue with gummy bears is that they will not replace electrolytes.  All gel/infinit/gatoraid stuff has salt and potasium as well as sugar in them.  Gummies are fine for shorter distances or cooler races or just for calories.  I have seen a 16,000 calorie gummy bear.  There are fruit snacks that are easier to chew also.  Just keep in mind what your race demands are. 

I don't have a road bike so ya all miles in aero bike. 

Ortho was quite a large chunk of Doctor's Visit Lampoon.  I was there for 4 hours and learned basically, ya you hurt your shoulder and I would give you a shot to decrease the swelling if that is what it is... one can't really tell without doing a MRI, but well we aren't going to do one so um stretch it lots and do some painful strength training on it and let me know how it goes in a month or two.  I forgot to bring my stuff for the shot and the pharmasy folks are out to lunch and I am in surgury later so um well see you in a month if things aren't better, bye.  A lesson on how to lose costomers.  I guess rather than driving 65 miles NE I will drive 100 miles NW to a different ortho.  But I can start to get back on the bike and should be able to swim breaststroke but definately not freestyle for a couple months.  Mean while the left outside of the knee remains problematic and though I only rode the bike 15 miles today I could feel the top of the right knee, not sore or painful, but ya still leary of that after giving it 6 weeks off.  Anyway, all races for this season are purely speculative at this point.  Patience ...... NOW!! 8).

Hopefully that catches me up with everyone.

New shoes should resolve temporary foot issues due to dead shoes within a week or two if no actual damage was done.  Another way to screwup the top ofyour foot is to tie your shoelaces too tight.  It can push the sheeth of the tendon onto the tendon and make for some really nasty long lasting issues, ask how I know. 

Below 0F runs you want something covering most of your skin, including your face (baclava (spelling?).  At neg 15 you are starting to look at either treadmill indoors or neopreme baclava and possibly shifting from glasses to ski goggles.  At neg 30 ski goggles can be better than not having them especially if it is also windy.  A windproof hood that covers your chin up to your mouth is also good.  At neg 15 i would also probably start putting on thermal undergarments beneath the windproof barier.

Who doesn't know about yanks/elastik laces?

Who doesn't know what a wetsuit stripper is and what the appropriate way to interact with one during race day is?

Who doesn't know what to do with grocerystore plastic bags when putting on your wetsuit?

Who doesn't know what Bodyglide is and where to apply it and when?

Edited by Baowolf 2013-01-04 7:03 PM
2013-01-04 7:26 PM

User image

Wetumpka, AL
My first encounter with wetsuit strippers was at Augusta this past year. For those who don't know, they strip you and no one gets any $$$. Well, at least I didn't. They did toss me some Gu Chomps, guess they figured that big boy needed a snack after the swim.
2013-01-04 9:39 PM

User image

Expert

Who doesn't know what a wetsuit stripper is and what the appropriate way to interact with one during race day is?

Who doesn't know what to do with grocerystore plastic bags when putting on your wetsuit?

Who doesn't know what Bodyglide is and where to apply it and when?

(((raises hand)))

2013-01-05 12:17 AM
in reply to: #4562813

User image

Regular
Montreal, Canada

Hi Guys,

so temperature went up (30) and I could enjoy my first run of the year outside. The City is still in the process of cleaning the streets from the 17inches of snow we get after Xmas, so some parts of the run felt more like skiing. I used the leg press at the gym yesterday for the first time, and I could feel it on the way up. So I was not in great shape for today's swim and had to do my set with the pull-buoy. 

Jay, for aerobars, your bones should support you, not you muscles. What I mean is that if your elbow forms a wide angle, your arms muscles support the weight and you cannot hold the position so long.

Mike, looking forward to see a picture of your pain cave!

Ken, for bilateral breathing, I could do long set then tried bilateral and could not last long. Fast fwd to now, I do 4km sets 100%bilateral. As many things, it comes with time. 

Carol, great idea for the sit-up challenge, looking fwd to seeing the numbers on Monday. I admire you to take this on  top of long runs! 

Kate, way to go for your increase in mileage.

Steve, sorry to hear about your appointment. You never know, maybe this is a detour on your way for another practitioner who'll sort this out for you. Only encounter with a wetsuit stripper was distant. I avoided them in fear they'd tear my suit into pieces, and chose instead to happily step over it, and over, and over... on the asphalted transition area. So, how are you supposed to get the best of both worlds (transition speed Vs wetsuit integrity) ? btw, hats off to all volunteers, strippers included!

Samantha, very impressive numbers for 2012! 

Pam, let us know how your run is going this weekend and how the feet feel afterwards.

Everyone, enjoy your week-end.

Fred

2013-01-05 6:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Thanks for the responses on the aerobars guys.  I haven't had my bike professionally fitted at all; perhaps I'll ask my tri store to do that for me when get my bike tuned up.

As far as the questions Steve asked about, I'm not familiar with a stripper (took off the wetsuit myself during my sprints) or using bags under my wetsuit.  Bodyglide is my friend lol

Happy Saturday guys and gals.  Off to swim in a little bit!

Edit: I just finished my swim and today the reality that I'm dreadfully slow just hit me in the face.  I found the following program http://ruthkazez.com/SwimWorkouts/ZeroTo1mile.html and decided to stick with it for 6 weeks.  Its the first time I've ever used anything structured when it comes to swimming and boy it makes a big difference.  I wouldn't think that 700 yards would be that difficult but I found out I was taking longer breaks between my sets than 12/8/4 breaths for sure!  My pace per 100 yds was 2:33 which is about 45 seconds slower than most times I see posted by others.  It is depressing but I do have to remind myself that I just learned how to swim 9 months ago!

Edited by medeiros13 2013-01-05 8:03 AM
2013-01-05 8:11 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Wetsuit strippers - people at the end of a swim who remove your wetsuit for you in a very quick manner. Usually found at IM and some HIM races. You unzip, pull the suit off your arms and pull down toward your waist. To use the stripper, you lay on your back, they grab your suit at your waist and rip it off your legs in about 2 seconds. Really :-)Plastic bag -- GREAT tip here. When putting on your wetsuit. First put your foot/hand in a plastic shopping bag then into the sleeve/leg of your suit. You'll get it right through in no time. No fussing with 'stuck' heels, etc. I use a bag or two at every race.Body Glide is an anti-chafing lube used directly on your skin and other parts where chaffing occurs. It comes in a package which looks like a deodorant stick. Put it on before you workout/race. It works very well. Get your own as its not something you'd share with someone else :-)
2013-01-05 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Slight thread hijack since we have not discussed this at all.  Someone in my hubby's mentor group was having problems with pain on the top of her foot and he asked me to post a pix of my shoes.  Since I manage to figure out how to post the pix, I thought I'd share with our group just in case anyone might need later.

When training for my first ultra, my feet were swelling and the lacing was causing red, raw irritation on the top of my feet - pre blister like.  The local running shoe suggested the lacing below and it got me thru both ultras.  I just bought new shoes and I may have to revert back to this lacing even for my normal running because it just feels better to me.

modified:  Well never mind.  Just tried it and apparently I can't remember what I did a few flipping mins ago and the pic is blank.  There is much cussing going on right now.  I'm going for a run.

Edited by Pink Socks 2013-01-05 8:22 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  

of 52