General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2013-07-02 8:46 PM
in reply to: cynner

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
Subject: RE: Racine Recon
It seems to be random at every race. This is my 3rd year doing Racine and the first year I was wave 3, then in the middle, and now at the back. If in fact the notion is that the "less younger" people are slower than the younger people, then wouldn't this format make it so a lot of athletes bunch up on the run and finish closer together? Honestly though, if I had my choice I'd rather start in the middle and not at the front.

Either way, race day is quickly approaching. Anyone (particularly our host BTers cynner and gordon_mom) got any plans on a group swim again or a meal or anything?

2013-07-02 9:14 PM
in reply to: buckeyeguy77

User image

New user
Kenosha
Amy and I were thinking of swimming after bike check on Saturday. As the day approaches we can firm up a time. As for meals, we will have beer post race since (hopefully) we will be done about the same time as you young whipper-snappers. ??
2013-07-02 9:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
Originally posted by buckeyeguy77

It seems to be random at every race. This is my 3rd year doing Racine and the first year I was wave 3, then in the middle, and now at the back. If in fact the notion is that the "less younger" people are slower than the younger people, then wouldn't this format make it so a lot of athletes bunch up on the run and finish closer together? Honestly though, if I had my choice I'd rather start in the middle and not at the front.

Either way, race day is quickly approaching. Anyone (particularly our host BTers cynner and gordon_mom) got any plans on a group swim again or a meal or anything?

Yes, but I always thought they were being more careful of course closure times and not wanting to keep the course open longer than necessary (ie. giving the best chance for everyone to be done by a certain time). My reasoning has gone out the window though, as it seems they are not consistent from race to race or even from year to year...LOL.

2013-07-03 10:01 AM
in reply to: marathongirl11

User image

New user
Subject: Bib on the Bike?
I'm reading through the Athlete Guide and I am not seeing anything that states you need to wear your bib number on the bike portion. However, when talking to others who have done other IM 70.3 events, they said, yes, you do need to wear it on the bike.

Can any veterans of this race let me know what has been done in the past? Will bib #'s be required on the bike?

17 days, 22 hours, 2 minutes remaining...... (8:04AM wave start)
2013-07-03 10:43 AM
in reply to: Parkie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Bib on the Bike?
It's my first but if I read it right, you will have a number to stick on your bike and helmet, so the loose race number will only have to be worn during the run and to the front of your person.
2013-07-03 10:59 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
I can't speak for Racine specifically; but, this will be my 5th HIM and, in the past, I've always worn my bib number on the bike. I put it on my race belt, facing toward the back for the bike, then switch it toward the front for the run. This is also how it is done for WTC Full Ironman events as well.

2013-07-03 11:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
I know in 2011 at Racine I had to wear it on the bike portion, can't remember about 2012. But at Kansas 70.3 a month ago we didn't have to wear it on the bike portion. It specifically stated it had to be worn on the run, but was optional on the bike. I'm assuming Racine will be the same. I'm thinking we must have had to in the past but not this year. For good reason, you already have it on your helmet, bike frame and one for your stem.

Edited by buckeyeguy77 2013-07-03 11:59 AM
2013-07-03 1:08 PM

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL
From the Athlete Guide under "Bike Course Rules and Instructions" section :

9. Athletes must wear a bike helmet number
on the front of their helmet.
10. You must wear your bib number during
the run portion of the race. In addition, your
bike frame sticker must be properly attached
to your bike and must be visible from both
sides.

No mention of a bib number required on the bike.

2013-07-03 1:14 PM
in reply to: rdietz

User image

New user
Originally posted by rdietz

From the Athlete Guide under "Bike Course Rules and Instructions" section :

9. Athletes must wear a bike helmet number
on the front of their helmet.
10. You must wear your bib number during
the run portion of the race. In addition, your
bike frame sticker must be properly attached
to your bike and must be visible from both
sides.

No mention of a bib number required on the bike.

Yep.... that is what I saw and what I'm going with. It just seems to be different than what I have been told has happened in the past.
2013-07-03 1:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Last year's athlete guide specifically stated that the race bib must be worn on the bike and run (I svaed a copy off on to my hard drive and am looking at it now). So I guess we are good to go without this year!

This is my last big training weekend. Long bike (60) and run (12) Sat/Sun.
2013-07-03 4:07 PM
in reply to: cartman1966

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
Well, it seems like you no longer need your bib number on the bike. Sounds good to me!

Anybody know if they have wetsuit strippers at this race?

2013-07-04 2:10 AM
in reply to: marathongirl11

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
They have the past two years. After you run up the to T1 through the sand there are some pools you can run through, and they are right after the pools but before transition.
2013-07-07 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
Bring on taper time! See you all in 2 weeks! I'll be the one in the wetsuit...
2013-07-08 11:40 AM
in reply to: Super_Rob

User image

Regular
Chicago

So happy to be in taper! My swim wave is about 40 mins earlier this year than in 2012, so even in my speed doesn't change at all, I will start my run 40 mins earlier and have (slightly) less heat to deal with!

Here's a link to Racine swim temps.

Who has biked the course this year? I missed it and am wondering if that road in the middle of the route is still the worst. I'm not tlaking about the beginning or the end, but that one section in the middle that was SUPER bad and it was followed by the flattest, most perfect pavement. Any updates?

2013-07-08 1:06 PM
in reply to: doxie

User image

New user
Kenosha
Originally posted by doxie

So happy to be in taper! My swim wave is about 40 mins earlier this year than in 2012, so even in my speed doesn't change at all, I will start my run 40 mins earlier and have (slightly) less heat to deal with!

Here's a link to Racine swim temps.

Who has biked the course this year? I missed it and am wondering if that road in the middle of the route is still the worst. I'm not tlaking about the beginning or the end, but that one section in the middle that was SUPER bad and it was followed by the flattest, most perfect pavement. Any updates?

Hi Doxie! I believe the bike route has changed slightly to avoid that section of road you are referring to. Amy and I did not do the recon ride, so not sure the new section is a significant upgrade or not.

Cyndi
2013-07-08 1:16 PM

User image

Germantown
This was my first time doing the course (with the Recon ride two weeks ago) and they mentioned something about us taking a slightly different route. Not sure if that was because of the one section that is so bad, or if maybe it was just really bad and didn't want to chance anymore flats than had already happened. Honestly, from what I keep/kept hearing over the past year about how terrible the bike course is, I didn't think it was bad at all. I did see 2-3 flats (or at least people checking out something on their bikes) along the ride. We also missed a turn on 50th, and ended up missing about 3 miles of the course, and by the time we got back on track around the east side of the freeway, I thought those were some of the worst miles to ride... Which I believe are not a part of the course, so I was happy about that.

I second the "bring on the taper!" See you all in 13 days!

2013-07-08 1:40 PM
in reply to: etasker

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
I did Oceanside this past March and the rules for the bib on the bike were the same as Racine. I didn't wear my bib during the bike and no one said a thing. You will be fine riding without it
2013-07-08 2:17 PM

For the veterans of this race: I can't find anything on the site which speaks to favorable viewing areas for spectators. My family is interested in hitting some of the main viewing spots in each segment if possible. Any feedback from those who have done this one before or is there a spectator's guide posted that I may have missed?
2013-07-08 9:32 PM
in reply to: doxie

I have biked the old course and new course (really just a slight detour in the middle) a few times in the last month. The detour is a huge improvement over that terrible section in the old course. However, there are at least two maybe 10" diameter holes that are guaranteed tire poppers if you hit them at 20 plus mph. I mean holes too. Some kind of pipe sunk in the pavement and cut off flush with the road like some kind of utility pipe. They usually mark these types of things pretty well.

There is also a section of frontage road that you cross right after passing under I-94 that's is under construction and still not paved as of yesterday. About 40 yards of coarse gravel and huge dips. I really hope they have this paved or at least some kind of temporary fix.

Other than that, pretty standard WI roads.
2013-07-08 9:40 PM
in reply to: bowzer4birdie@windy

New user
Wauwatosa, WI
Subject: Spectators
Hi, this is my second year racing Racine.

For the swim, my family usually hangs out with me at the start and then walks along the beach to the finish. They just keep track of my wave's colored cap, so they can see me exit the swim. They also get to see me leave T1.

For the bike, they go out for breakfast and then relax (take a nap) on the beach (it's a great beach!). They know my average splits, so they can head over to the bike finish and see me coming in and then leave T2. I guess they could hustle out to the bike course, but with traffic, it's a little tough just to see me for 3 seconds.

For the run, it's a double loop, so you can pick anywhere and see us twice. But, the finish has a some grassy areas with picnic tables, where they can hang out.

Just remind them to bring sun screen & water. I think that I was in better shape than my wife at the end of the race last year. It was hot last year, and they were out there a long time . This year, I promised them I'd go faster.

Hope that helps,

Rob

2013-07-08 9:43 PM
in reply to: Dangerjim71

Not a veteran of the race. This will be my first but I do live in the area. There is great viewing of the swim start and finish, transition area and early part of the run course from the hills overlooking North Beach. From there the could walk two blocks to see the main start and end of the bike route.

If the wanted to get out on the bike course there really aren't many places that would be good for viewing and easily accessible during race day. A great place to see the bike course from as it passes near Franksville park is impossible to get to on race day.

2013-07-10 10:01 AM
in reply to: Dangerjim71

User image

Veteran
Boulder
Getting excited about the race! I'm in taper (which feels good) and I'll be starting my drive from Colorado in a week.
Good luck to everyone!
2013-07-10 12:57 PM
in reply to: WillTriForBeer

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Hi Everybody!

I'm officially becoming terrified!!!

That is all.

-Dave
2013-07-10 8:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
Bib #542. This is my first race in a new, fabulous decade....LOL (Just turned 40 last month).

Can I use my Bib# as my time? Ha. That would be awesome!! (Attempting to break 6:00 at this race).

Edited by marathongirl11 2013-07-10 8:22 PM
2013-07-10 9:05 PM
in reply to: julio26pt2

User image

New user
Originally posted by julio26pt2

Hi Everybody!

I'm officially becoming terrified!!!

That is all.

-Dave

I think this sums it up ...... http://youtu.be/o7dp9OSqpdU
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 15