Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-06-15 12:33 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open
Originally posted by strykergt @Ransick I remember you ask me how i can fix my Aerobottle problems: 1.)leaking and splashing from the refill openings and straws. 2.)Clanking sound it makes. 3.)Moving of the bracket out of position. Here's a link of what i did. http://s17.photobucket.com/user/nightspawn/library/Aerodrink?sort=2... If you have any questions let me know. Cheers Carl
Hey Carl,  I just bought the PD aerobottle with the same mounting bracket in your pictures.  I haven't taken it for a ride yet, but I definitely see how there will be some splashing problems.  Your solution seems like it would stop the splashing, but doesn't it also render refilling impossible?

2013-06-15 12:52 PM
in reply to: iLOVEwaffles

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by iLOVEwaffles All right so a few people have asked about a race report for my first race of the season, haven't ever written one before so I guess I'll just start at the beggining!...

...Oh and for the next 4-5 hours I felt horribly nauseous, I'm guessing dehydration or electrolyte imbalance because that's what usually happens to me. So anyone who has any tips for race nutrition would be fantastic!

Great race report and awesome job on the race, man.

I think you can credit your GU's disappearing and the complete curveball that throws to your nutrition plan for your post race nausea.  But as far as tips for race nutrition, I'm still messing with this myself; as I'm sure you know it's so different from person to person.  For instance, the only two things I've found so far that I definitely don't do like or do well with are HEED and blocks (be the clif, powerbar, whatever).  I've used and liked all sorts of gels, I've used straight up whatever was available in my kitchen like raisins, fruit snacks, jelly beans.  For oly races I've been good with just a gel 10-15 min before the race, another gel about 15 min after getting off the bike, and then a last gel right before I get off the bike.  But it is worth noting that I drink Skratch, which I'm totally sold on.  I don't like Gatorade or other similar sports drinks, too sticky and sugary, leave my mouth feeling sticky.  Skratch settles the electrolyte issue and includes almost enough sodium to make it through on its own.  Then the gels give me the calories.

Also, you don't mention anything about pre or post race nutrition.  Everybody does their own thing but it's an important part of the equation.  In my most recent race report I detailed what I ate before hand and afterwards.

2013-06-16 7:06 PM
in reply to: Sarah73

User image

Ok I hate to be a debby downer but I could use some help. I recently did my first olympic distance tri this weekend. I had been very excited and everyone told me that once you race an oly you fall in love with triathlons. My only issue is that I felt terrible mentally after the race and my self esteem was absolutely devastated. I almost always feel a runners high after all of my road races. My race performance felt terrible and I did not really enjoy the race (besides the run because I am a runner at heart). Despite putting in 12 hour training weeks and focusing on my nutrition and sleep patterns I was the slowest male on my team and finished in the bottom tier of all of the participants. I know I am supposed to run my own race but I would like my race to be competitive instead of embarrassing. I actually have considered taking a hiatus from tris to focus on running. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
2013-06-16 9:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Originally posted by TRIal_of_miles

Ok I hate to be a debby downer but I could use some help. I recently did my first olympic distance tri this weekend. I had been very excited and everyone told me that once you race an oly you fall in love with triathlons. My only issue is that I felt terrible mentally after the race and my self esteem was absolutely devastated. I almost always feel a runners high after all of my road races. My race performance felt terrible and I did not really enjoy the race (besides the run because I am a runner at heart). Despite putting in 12 hour training weeks and focusing on my nutrition and sleep patterns I was the slowest male on my team and finished in the bottom tier of all of the participants. I know I am supposed to run my own race but I would like my race to be competitive instead of embarrassing. I actually have considered taking a hiatus from tris to focus on running. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

No one HAS to like Triathlon.

I like the complexity of juggling all of the elements. Reality is I had always finished very well in stand alone cycling and running events, and have hit the podium in both of those. I have never hit the podium in Triathlon. I suspect I probably never will. But I love it. SO is winning or doing really well the only thing that matters to you?

Come back with lessons learned, and you will finish higher. Probably you still wont win. But improving is its own reward isn't it?

Edited by oriolepwr 2013-06-16 9:59 PM
2013-06-16 11:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi Aaron, What were the things that went wrong for you? After my 1st Sprint I was quite disappointed with my results and felt "let down" by the whole event. My swim was terrible, bike was decent and what I call running you'd call walking. My "blah" made me look at what went wrong and what went right. I made some immediate changes and 2 weeks later I did a second Sprint. My swim was considerably better, my bike was faster and even my run was faster. In the end I cut 9 minutes off my 1st Sprint time and I felt so much better.

Being your 1st event you shouldn't really be thinking of where you're finishing relative to other people who may be more experienced than you. You should be more looking at what you can learn from the experience. If I can cut 9 minutes in a Sprint you should be able to cut 18 minutes from an Oly just with a few changes. I should add that a big part of the enjoyment of events for me is interacting with other athletes. Encouraging someone who is struggling, running for awhile with strangers or accepting a cold glass of water from a smiling young volunteer.

I enjoy planning what I'm going to do in my next event and figuring it down to the minute but come race day there are just too many variables to affect your performance. Whatever you do have fun doing it.

Edited by wenceslasz 2013-06-16 11:48 PM
2013-06-17 7:39 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Glad to see the group is going strong! Sorry I've been gone for so long, I'll have to catch up on all the posts some time this week - great job everyone!!

2013-06-17 3:59 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Originally posted by strykergt @Ransick I remember you ask me how i can fix my Aerobottle problems: 1.)leaking and splashing from the refill openings and straws. 2.)Clanking sound it makes. 3.)Moving of the bracket out of position. Here's a link of what i did. http://s17.photobucket.com/user/nightspawn/library/Aerodrink?sort=2... If you have any questions let me know. Cheers Carl
Hey Carl,  I just bought the PD aerobottle with the same mounting bracket in your pictures.  I haven't taken it for a ride yet, but I definitely see how there will be some splashing problems.  Your solution seems like it would stop the splashing, but doesn't it also render refilling impossible?

Yes man refilling will be a problem. You wont be able to. I figured out while i tried to refill it. I have to slow down and look at while i am doing which is dangerous. I cant keep my eyes on the road while doing it. I figured the time lost in refilling it (at the hole where the straw is inserted) and stopping at a station about the same.The bottle will splash as long as there is a hole on top even with the yellow thingy. I was told just use water so it does not feel icky when it splashes. They even told me use sponge instead of the yellow thingy to minimize the splashing.

Sorry cant have a direct solution. If ever you figure it out please let me know.

Cheers Man

Carl!!!
2013-06-17 8:02 PM
in reply to: TRIal_of_miles

User image

Veteran

I will be shocked if I ever get to podium. I'm 53, open heart surgery at 6 yrs old, have a defibrillator. I'm doing this for fun, bucket list, just a challenge to show that I can do it. I was never an athlete, wasn't allowed to play competitive sports in school. My cardiologist is amazed and supportive.

Last year, my first tri, a sprint race with only a 200 yd pool swim, I came in last in all categories. I'm 20 lbs lighter and I keep tri-ing. Don't worry about the crowd. Just have fun. Oh, and I have always hated running, I can now almost run 2 miles without walking. Doesn't sound like much, but for me, I'm thrilled.

One last thing, any racers with disabilities in your race. I'm still trying to figure out their swim? And see the bottom of my post!!

May the Legs be With You!
Tom
2013-06-17 9:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by TRIal_of_miles Ok I hate to be a debby downer but I could use some help. I recently did my first olympic distance tri this weekend. I had been very excited and everyone told me that once you race an oly you fall in love with triathlons. My only issue is that I felt terrible mentally after the race and my self esteem was absolutely devastated. I almost always feel a runners high after all of my road races. My race performance felt terrible and I did not really enjoy the race (besides the run because I am a runner at heart). Despite putting in 12 hour training weeks and focusing on my nutrition and sleep patterns I was the slowest male on my team and finished in the bottom tier of all of the participants. I know I am supposed to run my own race but I would like my race to be competitive instead of embarrassing. I actually have considered taking a hiatus from tris to focus on running. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I've never heard anyone specify that once you race an oly you fall in love with triathlons.  Seems to me you should be able to figure out whether you love it or not at any distance, sprint included.

Not to be overly blunt but nobody says you have to love triathlon man, it sounds like maybe running is just more your thing.  You gave it a shot, and don't enjoy it as much as you do running.  I used to do crossfit type circuit training as 95% of my workout time before I started triathlon, then I tried a sprint tri and loved it, now almost all my workout time is tri training.  

If it's that important to you then try to tri again, but you're much better off just trying to have fun with it.  You say you put in 12 hour training weeks, but you don't have any training logs, so what was the break down?  How many of those hours were swim or bike?  Are you a swimmer?  What kind of bike are you riding?

I'm a type A kind of overly competitive guy myself and if I were you I'd go one of two ways with this.  On the one hand I prefer to be great at something and compete at the highest level I can, I'm not a guy who likes to be beaten at anything, so I may just understand that running is where I have the best chance of doing great and focus on that.  Or, and this is much more likely, I'd refuse to accept that I am less than awesome at anything, and I'd double down on triathlon fully intending to crush it next time.  I'd use this race as motivation during those long tough bike rides and those sprint swim sets.

edited to fix grammar

Edited by Fresno_Joe 2013-06-17 10:17 PM
2013-06-18 5:07 PM

User image

Veteran
So, I'm actually making some progress for myself. Today, I ran for about 25 minutes. With only about 6 minutes of walking between intervals. So, maybe soon I may be able to run non stop for 2 miles.

Tom
2013-06-18 7:52 PM

User image

First off I would like to thank Oriolepwr, Fresno_Joe, TomsTri-ing, and wenceslasz for the helpful feedback. After reading your replies I have given it some thought. Oriolepwr you really set the right perspective that I should have toward tris. I need to embrace the challenge of something that I am not as good at because deep down I do love working toward goals that are challenging both physically and mentally. Wenceslasz, you helped me to see the glass as half full and look at the little things in my training and racing. I noticed that there are many things that I could be doing differently and during a race every second counts. I am optimistic about my future training and races and look to improve my weaknesses and race my strengths. I also really enjoy the camaraderie and interaction between the participants and the volunteers. No matter how poorly that I felt I performed, everyone was still cheering me on. Thank you TomsTri-ing for truly showing me that races aren’t all about winning but proving to yourself and others that you can complete what others thought to be impossible. Before my race I had never taken on a tri so long and I never thought that I would. Now that I have I am constantly looking for improvement and perhaps longer distances. Keep at it Tom! And Fresno Joe, I think that you hit the nail on the head and I just need to double down on my work effort and focus on getting competitive for my next race because let’s be honest, kicking in a race does feel really good. Also my weekly plans are through training peaks and my nutrition and workout blog are also on a separate site. I am unsure of how to sync it with Beginnertri.com but I will gladly give you the link and my password if you would like to see my routine. With the help and advice of this group I have already signed up for a couple more races and look forward to seeing improvement in myself. Thanks again everyone!

2013-06-18 10:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
So last week I was gradually getting sicker and sicker, and now I've just been sick for like a week and a half.  I have decided that as of tomorrow I will no longer be sick.  I really can't afford to be sick any longer.
2013-06-18 10:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by TRIal_of_miles And Fresno Joe, I think that you hit the nail on the head and I just need to double down on my work effort and focus on getting competitive for my next race because let’s be honest, kicking in a race does feel really good. Also my weekly plans are through training peaks and my nutrition and workout blog are also on a separate site. I am unsure of how to sync it with Beginnertri.com but I will gladly give you the link and my password if you would like to see my routine. With the help and advice of this group I have already signed up for a couple more races and look forward to seeing improvement in myself. Thanks again everyone!
I'm not looking to get your username or password, but I think it would be useful for you to make it so others can review your logs one way or another.  Hard to really provide any advice without being able to do so.  
2013-06-18 10:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
double post

Edited by Fresno_Joe 2013-06-18 10:08 PM
2013-06-18 10:28 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

So last week I was gradually getting sicker and sicker, and now I've just been sick for like a week and a half.  I have decided that as of tomorrow I will no longer be sick.  I really can't afford to be sick any longer.

Sorry man. Being sick (or injured) when you want to work out is really frustrating, I know.
2013-06-18 10:39 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

I'll throw in a couple other thoughts. Figure out what you like and don't like about triathlons then adjust. For me, I love the training and really don't like the racing, specifically the race nerves the week leading up to the race, the nervousness regarding OWS, love the bike, don't like how hard the run feels when I push myself, love the post race feeling of being alive, don't like the post race nausea. Everyone is different.

I found that race nerves are helped by hanging out with fellow triathletes the days before and day of the race. I raced with Dave (Oriolepwr) at my last HIM and talking with him the day before the race and the morning of the race was the key factor in having my best (least stressful) swim yet. I haven't figured out the post race nausea yet.

Hang in there and there is certainly nothing wrong with going back to running only. I'm going through some other life stress right now and decided not to race this year and go back to running only since it takes a lot less gear and planning.

2013-06-18 10:39 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

a little bit of over training? maybe?
2013-06-18 11:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by strykergt
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe So last week I was gradually getting sicker and sicker, and now I've just been sick for like a week and a half.  I have decided that as of tomorrow I will no longer be sick.  I really can't afford to be sick any longer.
I think maybe it started out as that, and also I had kind of let my nutrition go.  Not as in not taking in enough calories, but taking in the wrong kind of calories.  I mean I don't begrudge myself the occasional bowl of ice cream, but it got a little out of hand for a while there (and frankly with being sick and father's day this last weekend, I'm not going to claim I'm on the proper nutrition bandwagon right now either), and that definitely affected my energy level last week.  But right now I'm definitely sick, though I think/hope I'm on the tail end of it.  My daughter had a sinus and ear infection early last week, and my wife caught the sinus infection part of it allegedly. Doc prescribed antibiotics, but they haven't appeared to do anything, so that tells me probably not an ordinary sinus infection.  Her throat has been bad for over a week.  Had no voice over the weekend.  I have had a sore throat for almost a week, but besides a low energy level that's about it.  Every morning I wake up feeling the same sore throat and same low energy.  Pop some ibuprofen and some mucinex and I'm good enough, but still don't really feel like I'm getting reasonably better.  Keeping fingers crossed for tomorrow.

I went through this before my last tri, but mentally this is very frustrating.  I was finally starting to approach a point where I could see myself getting to the amount of weekly training I was hoping for.  Now it will take me time just to get back on my feet.  I've accepted that this HIM in August is more of a proving-I-can-do-it race, and during the off season and going into next year I will continue to build my miles and work at it so that next year if I can do the same race I can try and push myself more.  

2013-06-19 6:39 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by strykergt
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe So last week I was gradually getting sicker and sicker, and now I've just been sick for like a week and a half.  I have decided that as of tomorrow I will no longer be sick.  I really can't afford to be sick any longer.
I think maybe it started out as that, and also I had kind of let my nutrition go.  Not as in not taking in enough calories, but taking in the wrong kind of calories.  I mean I don't begrudge myself the occasional bowl of ice cream, but it got a little out of hand for a while there (and frankly with being sick and father's day this last weekend, I'm not going to claim I'm on the proper nutrition bandwagon right now either), and that definitely affected my energy level last week.  But right now I'm definitely sick, though I think/hope I'm on the tail end of it.  My daughter had a sinus and ear infection early last week, and my wife caught the sinus infection part of it allegedly. Doc prescribed antibiotics, but they haven't appeared to do anything, so that tells me probably not an ordinary sinus infection.  Her throat has been bad for over a week.  Had no voice over the weekend.  I have had a sore throat for almost a week, but besides a low energy level that's about it.  Every morning I wake up feeling the same sore throat and same low energy.  Pop some ibuprofen and some mucinex and I'm good enough, but still don't really feel like I'm getting reasonably better.  Keeping fingers crossed for tomorrow.

I went through this before my last tri, but mentally this is very frustrating.  I was finally starting to approach a point where I could see myself getting to the amount of weekly training I was hoping for.  Now it will take me time just to get back on my feet.  I've accepted that this HIM in August is more of a proving-I-can-do-it race, and during the off season and going into next year I will continue to build my miles and work at it so that next year if I can do the same race I can try and push myself more.  

You mentioned that your daughter had an infection and then your wife got it, yet the doctor put her on antibiotics....weird....highly unlikely that the infection is bacterial if it was passed on from your daughter to your wife (it's usually a virus when that happens and antibiotics will not cure a virus).She might want to check with her Doctor on the logic of giving her antibiotics.

I hope you feel better though. Make sure you get plenty of rest and don't start up too quick.
2013-06-21 3:29 PM
in reply to: johnthecat

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by johnthecat  
 You mentioned that your daughter had an infection and then your wife got it, yet the doctor put her on antibiotics....weird....highly unlikely that the infection is bacterial if it was passed on from your daughter to your wife (it's usually a virus when that happens and antibiotics will not cure a virus).She might want to check with her Doctor on the logic of giving her antibiotics. I hope you feel better though. Make sure you get plenty of rest and don't start up too quick.
Yeah the antibiotics haven't really done anything.  My wife and I have basically been getting sick and healing at the same rate.  After two weeks of feeling either the same as or worse than the day before, yesterday and today I finally feel like I'm making some improvement.  So today I went for a bike ride for the first time in two weeks, and I hope to swim later today.  I ran a bit last week, but that was minimal.  So between today and tomorrow I hope to freshen my legs up a little bit to get ready to get back into the swing of things starting Monday.  Hate to have lost two weeks of training but I was overdue for some recovery time anyways and certainly better to lose two weeks at this point than closer to race time.  Hopefully I can stay healthy from here on out.

Sorry I haven't had time to do the stats, I hope to get to it tomorrow.  Being sick has not been reason enough to not work or be a dad so I've still been pretty busy.

2013-06-21 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by strykergt Yes man refilling will be a problem. You wont be able to. I figured out while i tried to refill it. I have to slow down and look at while i am doing which is dangerous. I cant keep my eyes on the road while doing it. I figured the time lost in refilling it (at the hole where the straw is inserted) and stopping at a station about the same.The bottle will splash as long as there is a hole on top even with the yellow thingy. I was told just use water so it does not feel icky when it splashes. They even told me use sponge instead of the yellow thingy to minimize the splashing. Sorry cant have a direct solution. If ever you figure it out please let me know. Cheers Man Carl!!!
I went for my first ride using the aerobottle today and I just had it set up with the yellow mesh thing inside and the cap on and there was no splashing.  Not a terribly bumpy ride, and just one ride so who knows how it will continue to function, but I was able to refill on this one and there was no splashing.

2013-06-21 6:15 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Originally posted by strykergt Yes man refilling will be a problem. You wont be able to. I figured out while i tried to refill it. I have to slow down and look at while i am doing which is dangerous. I cant keep my eyes on the road while doing it. I figured the time lost in refilling it (at the hole where the straw is inserted) and stopping at a station about the same.The bottle will splash as long as there is a hole on top even with the yellow thingy. I was told just use water so it does not feel icky when it splashes. They even told me use sponge instead of the yellow thingy to minimize the splashing. Sorry cant have a direct solution. If ever you figure it out please let me know. Cheers Man Carl!!!
I went for my first ride using the aerobottle today and I just had it set up with the yellow mesh thing inside and the cap on and there was no splashing.  Not a terribly bumpy ride, and just one ride so who knows how it will continue to function, but I was able to refill on this one and there was no splashing.

Good For you man! I mean getting back again on the saddle,meaning your feeling better now and I guess it just takes practice filling it. I will try it again.
2013-06-22 8:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Hi Everyone -

Can I jump in on your group? I initially joined another one, but they're not talking much over there and I could really use some encouragement!

NAME: Rebecca (miche033)

MY STORY: I have been doing sprints and oly's for 10 years. I am 39 and want to do a HIM before turning 40. My goal race is at the beginning of September. I did a (horrible) oly this a few weeks back and have a lot of work to do. I signed up for coaching too but I basically need encouragement. I also covet tips from other athletes on how to finish that HIM. My goal race has an 8 hr cut-off, and I'm afraid I'm not going to make it. I'm worried about current on the swim and heat on the run. I'm not a runner... I will be happy with 12 min miles in the HIM.

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married 6 years, got my hubby into racing. He is planning on his first marathon this Nov. I have a 4 yr old and a 16 mo old, both boys. It's a challenge for us to both get our training in.

CURRENT TRAINING: Doing silver HIM plan. Up til now, I have not gotten in the full plan - it's pretty high volume. Since school has ended (I'm a chemistry professor) I should be able to get much closer to targets. I don't want to increase volume too fast though... Want to avoid injuries.

2013 RACES: I have another oly planned, for July. Big HIM in Sept.

WEIGHT LOSS PLANS: I have lost 60 lbs since having the baby.  I would like to lose 10 to 15 more mostly because it will make me faster. But I'm going to have to actually start calorie counting or something. Stop drinking coke and eating candy bars might help. I need to take healthy snacks to work. I get SO hungry I break down and go to the vending machine. Ahem.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's journey this season!

Cheers~

2013-06-22 10:44 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by miche033

Hi Everyone -

Can I jump in on your group? I initially joined another one, but they're not talking much over there and I could really use some encouragement!

NAME: Rebecca (miche033)

MY STORY: I have been doing sprints and oly's for 10 years. I am 39 and want to do a HIM before turning 40. My goal race is at the beginning of September. I did a (horrible) oly this a few weeks back and have a lot of work to do. I signed up for coaching too but I basically need encouragement. I also covet tips from other athletes on how to finish that HIM. My goal race has an 8 hr cut-off, and I'm afraid I'm not going to make it. I'm worried about current on the swim and heat on the run. I'm not a runner... I will be happy with 12 min miles in the HIM.

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married 6 years, got my hubby into racing. He is planning on his first marathon this Nov. I have a 4 yr old and a 16 mo old, both boys. It's a challenge for us to both get our training in.

CURRENT TRAINING: Doing silver HIM plan. Up til now, I have not gotten in the full plan - it's pretty high volume. Since school has ended (I'm a chemistry professor) I should be able to get much closer to targets. I don't want to increase volume too fast though... Want to avoid injuries.

2013 RACES: I have another oly planned, for July. Big HIM in Sept.

WEIGHT LOSS PLANS: I have lost 60 lbs since having the baby.  I would like to lose 10 to 15 more mostly because it will make me faster. But I'm going to have to actually start calorie counting or something. Stop drinking coke and eating candy bars might help. I need to take healthy snacks to work. I get SO hungry I break down and go to the vending machine. Ahem.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's journey this season!

Cheers~

We will be happy to help here, I have not finished any HIM yet, but i have done half marathons and centuries. I am also doing poorly on swim and trying to get personal one on one coaching next week. I am targeting one HID this Sept and Full Mary this October. If you need any advice you have to bring it up and everybody starts giving their advice. If your just burned out,down and sick feel free to post it and we will try our best to lift your spirits . "Fresno_Joe" keeps track of the weekly workouts and He does his best to post everyone's from time to time. Make sure you have them uploaded and visible to him.

Welcome and Glad to have you here!!!!!
2013-06-22 10:44 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
oops double

Edited by strykergt 2013-06-22 10:45 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41