BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-05-30 9:50 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
Originally posted by thor67

I am laying out the June Challenge for those who need a little push to train. Let's make it 28 S/B/R workouts in 30 days. That would be 7 workouts/week.

Minimums:

Swim:15 minutes.

Bike:30 minutes.

Run:20 minutes.

As long as you hit the minimums, bricks count as 2.

S/B/R only. One exception ...if you drink a dozen cans warm coors lite in one sitting, I will count that as 8 workouts. Of course if there is no video, it didn't happen...

Remember log your workouts and check in weekly!

Who is in?

I'm in! Sounds tough but if it wasn't it wouldn't be a challenge would it!

And Brodzki I feel your pain with rough weeks as I had one myself. No sick family members but extra soccer practices and a van in need of repair hampered my efforts. I am hoping to get out for a long ride this weekend but only managed to bike commute 2 days this week and only 1 run and nothing in the pool. That is far shy of my goals

2014-05-30 9:59 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Originally posted by badmo77a

2 things

1) Can you guys give me some help in setting my expectations. I have my first sprint distance race in 8 days and have always been hoping to break 2 hours (750m, 30km, 7.5km).

I am am lucky to break 2mins per 100m swimming and the swim ends with a 300m run to T1 before you go over the timing mats. 16 or 17 mins for the swim and then 2 mins to run up to T1.

Biking is hard to measure. This mornings commute was 9.7km in 19 minutes. So I know I can sustain 30kph (18.6mph). So hope to go under an hour.

My half marathon pace is about 5:19 per km and my 10k pace about 5:09. So I hope to cover the 7.5km in about 39 mins.

Swim and run to T1 = 19mins
T1 = 2mins
Bike = 60 mins
T2 = 2 mins
Run = 40mins

Total = 2hrs 4 mins

I so much want to beat 2 hours but that really means not making any mistakes. Am I off my nut thinking this is possible?

2) Where is out glorious leader? And how did the interview go?

Where are you doing this sprint? Binbrook?
2014-05-30 10:12 AM
in reply to: Jeakins

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Take the family out to Canmore/Banff tomorrow for a picnic...you can ride the trail between the two. Great ride!

Originally posted by Jeakins

I am laying out the June Challenge for those who need a little push to train. Let's make it 28 S/B/R workouts in 30 days. That would be 7 workouts/week.

Minimums:

S/B/R only. One exception ...if you drink a dozen cans warm coors lite in one sitting, I will count that as 8 workouts. Of course if there is no video, it didn't happen...

Who is in?

I'm in! Sounds tough but if it wasn't it wouldn't be a challenge would it! And Brodzki I feel your pain with rough weeks as I had one myself. No sick family members but extra soccer practices and a van in need of repair hampered my efforts. I am hoping to get out for a long ride this weekend but only managed to bike commute 2 days this week and only 1 run and nothing in the pool. That is far shy of my goals

2014-05-30 10:22 AM
in reply to: Brodzki

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by Brodzki

2 things

1) Can you guys give me some help in setting my expectations. I have my first sprint distance race in 8 days and have always been hoping to break 2 hours (750m, 30km, 7.5km).

I am am lucky to break 2mins per 100m swimming and the swim ends with a 300m run to T1 before you go over the timing mats. 16 or 17 mins for the swim and then 2 mins to run up to T1.

Biking is hard to measure. This mornings commute was 9.7km in 19 minutes. So I know I can sustain 30kph (18.6mph). So hope to go under an hour.

My half marathon pace is about 5:19 per km and my 10k pace about 5:09. So I hope to cover the 7.5km in about 39 mins.

T1 = 2mins
Bike = 60 mins
T2 = 2 mins
Run = 40mins

Total = 2hrs 4 mins

I so much want to beat 2 hours but that really means not making any mistakes. Am I off my nut thinking this is possible?

Yes. Binbrook.
2014-05-30 10:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
I'm in! We imposing the Coors light penalty for those taking part? I say we up the ante and make it a warm wine cooler!
2014-05-30 11:47 AM

User image

Originally posted by Brodzki

2 things

T1 = 2mins
Bike = 60 mins
T2 = 2 mins
Run = 40mins

Total = 2hrs 4 mins

Yes. Binbrook.

I did the TRy a tri there last year and I can tell you the water is really really cold! The bike course is nice and you shouldn't run into too many hills. The run will be alittle tougher. Personally if you have a good swim and agood bike then u can do it under 2 hrs

2014-05-30 11:48 AM

User image

Minimums:

Who is in?

i'm in
2014-05-30 12:33 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

2 bikes equal 1 completed workout.

Consider yourself in.

Originally posted by podemma

Minimums:

Who is in?

I'm in!  My plan calls for 38 or so workouts so I should be good to go.

Probably out of range for me. Although I do need a push. 1) Most of my rides to work are just about 20 minutes. I can extend them on the way home but not on the way in. So half my riding would not count to the total. 2) Straight after my sprint on the 7th I am focusing on a 10k on June 24th where I must crush my sister-in-law at all costs i am hoping to PR. So I will be going over to a more run focused plan for 2-3 weeks. Still temping though. I will see what I can do.

I'm in, especially if I can count my round trip bike commutes (20 mins each way) as a single work out. Does a sprint tri count as all 3 workouts?

2014-05-30 12:44 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by MOlsen

Consider yourself in.

Minimums:

Who is in?

Probably out of range for me. Although I do need a push. 1) Most of my rides to work are just about 20 minutes. I can extend them on the way home but not on the way in. So half my riding would not count to the total. 2) Straight after my sprint on the 7th I am focusing on a 10k on June 24th where I must crush my sister-in-law at all costs i am hoping to PR. So I will be going over to a more run focused plan for 2-3 weeks. Still temping though. I will see what I can do.

I'm in, especially if I can count my round trip bike commutes (20 mins each way) as a single work out. Does a sprint tri count as all 3 workouts?

Sure I am good with 3...unless you are too fast on any of them...swim under 15 minutes...down to 2 workouts. :-) No sandbagging it!

2014-05-30 1:12 PM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario

Consider yourself in.

Minimums:

Who is in?

Sure I am good with 3...unless you are too fast on any of them...swim under 15 minutes...down to 2 workouts. :-) No sandbagging it!

I didn't think about counting 3 for my sprint. No way I am going under 15 mins for the swim! Bonus.
2014-05-30 2:18 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

, Vermont
Hey there!

So I just joined a group before I saw yours and have to let you know I'm going to lurk your thread because I LOVE beer! As a Vermonter we've got lots of great microbreweries - current favorite is Switchback - get your mitts on some, you won't regret it! Also Trout River Brewing Co - rainbow red is a post-ski favorite and Otter Creek's Black IPA. = love

As for me - 44 year old mom of two with a great hubby. 5'8" 126#, four or five half marathons under my belt, lots of shorter races and doing the plunge into sprint tris this summer. Played sports all my life, former airline pilot - now part time flight instructor/adjunct professor for an aviation program. I coach my son's baseball team in Little League - yes dads, you heard that right! I played D1 college softball as a fast pitcher. I just love to be outside doing anything.

I just wanted to let you know I'm lurking! I may secretly do some of your challenges because I think they're great and warm Coors isn't.
Let me know if my lurking isn't PC as I'm new to BT! I don't know if we're allowed to join two groups. haha

Best,
Jenn (aviatrix802)

2014-05-30 2:49 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Lurking is not allowed...just join in. No big deal being part of two groups unless one is a beer haters group! Plus you love an IPA so you are good to go in my books! Pretty sure I have sampled Switchback in one of my many beer tasting splurges on holidays! Going to have to look it up!

Cheers!

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Hey there! So I just joined a group before I saw yours and have to let you know I'm going to lurk your thread because I LOVE beer! As a Vermonter we've got lots of great microbreweries - current favorite is Switchback - get your mitts on some, you won't regret it! Also Trout River Brewing Co - rainbow red is a post-ski favorite and Otter Creek's Black IPA. = love As for me - 44 year old mom of two with a great hubby. 5'8" 126#, four or five half marathons under my belt, lots of shorter races and doing the plunge into sprint tris this summer. Played sports all my life, former airline pilot - now part time flight instructor/adjunct professor for an aviation program. I coach my son's baseball team in Little League - yes dads, you heard that right! I played D1 college softball as a fast pitcher. I just love to be outside doing anything. I just wanted to let you know I'm lurking! I may secretly do some of your challenges because I think they're great and warm Coors isn't. Let me know if my lurking isn't PC as I'm new to BT! I don't know if we're allowed to join two groups. haha Best, Jenn (aviatrix802)

2014-05-30 3:07 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

So this is why I haven't been getting post updates. We've moved! Coming to the party a bit late, I suppose. For awhile there I thought everyone was too busy with training to post.

I did my first TT event with aero bars yesterday. Averaged 36km/h. I was riding on tired legs and it was 50km round trip to get out there. I have my first sprint Tri of the season on Sunday. I'm hoping that today and tomorrow will give me enough recovery so I can ride with fresh legs on Sunday. I've been pushing it hard on the bike the last two weeks. Soon time for a recovery week, me thinks.

Glad to see everyone else's training is coming along nicely. Also nice to see some new faces. 

2014-05-30 3:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
(i had just put the website for it up but realized I'm not supposed to I guess) I'd be impressed if Switchback made it all the way to BC! It was on draft here in only select places and they started bottling it about a year ago I think. Lots of good floaters! LOL The instructions on the label say to swirl and let stand for 30 seconds before enjoying! Tastiness!

Okay, so I do train too. I just biked a nice hilly 20 miles yesterday and ran this morning. I was supposed to swim this afternoon but screwed up my lane reservation so no-go. I ran leg 5 in the Vermont City Marathon this past Sunday - 5.67 miles in 46:15 = about 8:11 pace or so I think. It was "hot". Hey, 72 and sunny in the spring in VT is hot when you're not used to it! Tonight I have to assistant coach my other son's baseball team.

So the challenge starts tomorrow - better set my alarm!

Cheers,
Jenn (aviatrix802)

Edited by aviatrix802 2014-05-30 3:33 PM
2014-05-30 3:33 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by adempsey10

So this is why I haven't been getting post updates. We've moved! Coming to the party a bit late, I suppose. For awhile there I thought everyone was too busy with training to post.

I did my first TT event with aero bars yesterday. Averaged 36km/h. I was riding on tired legs and it was 50km round trip to get out there. I have my first sprint Tri of the season on Sunday. I'm hoping that today and tomorrow will give me enough recovery so I can ride with fresh legs on Sunday. I've been pushing it hard on the bike the last two weeks. Soon time for a recovery week, me thinks.

Glad to see everyone else's training is coming along nicely. Also nice to see some new faces. 

That's fast! Great work.
2014-05-30 3:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Well the search for a tri cycling shoe continues. Pearl Izumi is too narrow and so is Specialized. I found the LG too hard to get into and no way I could do it on the bike while moving. I am going to Trek tomorrow to try on the Bontrager Hilo and see if that works. I feel like a woman with all this trying on of shoes.

2014-05-30 5:05 PM

User image

Ok
Ive been on the shelf for a week and a half w\ a pulled muscle in my back.

Coming back out of it.
Short run earlier this week
Medium run tonight.
If I recover from this - hopefully nicely!

Then tomorrow is a boot camp in the AM. Then finishing up my Bike tuneup (tires & Tubes - chain etc)

Then Sunday if the tuneup gets done a nice long bike (for me) 30+ miles.

Back to being accountable.
2014-05-30 5:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

louis garneau. wide foot box easy in and out!

Originally posted by Burd Well the search for a tri cycling shoe continues. Pearl Izumi is too narrow and so is Specialized. I found the LG too hard to get into and no way I could do it on the bike while moving. I am going to Trek tomorrow to try on the Bontrager Hilo and see if that works. I feel like a woman with all this trying on of shoes.

2014-05-30 6:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Wups

Edited by randym95 2014-05-30 6:18 PM
2014-05-30 6:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Well there's plenty of accountability going on here but not enough beer appreciation. So for all my fellow chewy beer lovers, here's a great one to try. Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. And the best part is after you drink it down you should have consumed enough calories for one helluva long ride or run. Happy Friday everyone.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (1115KB - 3 downloads)
2014-05-30 8:59 PM
in reply to: randym95

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Originally posted by randym95

Well there's plenty of accountability going on here but not enough beer appreciation. So for all my fellow chewy beer lovers, here's a great one to try. Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. And the best part is after you drink it down you should have consumed enough calories for one helluva long ride or run. Happy Friday everyone.

That is an awesome beer!!! And if you just finished a big workout you deserve to pour it over vanilla ice cream!!! Wow too good for words!

2014-05-30 9:30 PM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico

Consider yourself in.

Minimums:

Who is in?

I didn't think about counting 3 for my sprint. No way I am going under 15 mins for the swim! Bonus.

I'm in. I have all of my bikes, runs, and bricks entered on my training calendar, will fit my swims in where I can. One question, if you run 40 minutes, or bike 1 hour or swim 30 min, does it count for 2? Maybe if you stop what you are doing for 15 seconds and then start again, you can count it as two?
2014-05-31 6:55 AM
in reply to: jlangene

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by jlangene

Consider yourself in.

Minimums:

Who is in?

I'm in. I have all of my bikes, runs, and bricks entered on my training calendar, will fit my swims in where I can. One question, if you run 40 minutes, or bike 1 hour or swim 30 min, does it count for 2? Maybe if you stop what you are doing for 15 seconds and then start again, you can count it as two?
Sorry, there needs to be separation between to count as two workouts...

Cheers!

2014-05-31 10:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Speaking of BEER....
Yesterday I had my first bottle of home brew from the kit my son gave me for Christmas. It was a Mexican style brew. Very smooth and hoppy. So I'm very happy with my first batch.
Second batch of Czech Pilsner is ready to bottle today. Won't be ready for a couple of weeks. I'll be storing them in my cedar closest in the basement until fully carbonated and aged.

Training run with my coach this afternoon.
Tom
2014-05-31 10:25 AM

User image

Veteran

Originally posted by jlangene

Consider yourself in.

Minimums:

Who is in?

Sorry, there needs to be separation between to count as two workouts...

Cheers!

I'm IN, I think I'm already doing these times. My current training schedule is for my OLY in NYC for August.
Tom
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51166 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19837 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.