BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-01-08 8:44 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge!
Scott,

Thanks for posting the details of the challenge. Looking forward to getting started.

Dave

2015-01-08 11:03 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--OPEN!
Scott,

I've been trying to improve my swim technique at my local tri club swim clinic each Sunday. One member of our tri club is a swim coach, so he observes new swimmers like me and provides a bit of coaching. He walks the deck and also does underwater observations during the clinic.

He made the email comment below after our most recent swim clinic:

"Dave's problem with stroke length starts with his shoulder rotator's being too tight. When Dave swims, I see a lot of muscular work on the recovery phase, because he's so tight it takes significant effort to bring the arm to the front, and I think that's the endurance issue right there.

I recommend a GENTLE (really! No injuries allowed!) daily routine of rotator cuff stretching with an elastic pull cord. It can't hurt and I believe it will help keep away the shoulder rotator cuff tears that are common with men. I do it every day since I had my shoulder trauma and I know it helps me."

I'm wonding if you have seen this issue and if so, have used pull cord or any other stretching drills to address. I"ve been so focused on improving my leg and torso flexibility that I have not paid any attention to lack of flexibility in my shoulders. I'd appreciate any thoughts you could offer.

Thanks,

Dave
2015-01-08 11:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Dave, thanks for posting that, when I went to the master's this past summer, the instructor told me the same thing saying I was not flexible in my shoulders or elbows. Did they give you exercises/stretches to do? Mine did not.

Looking forward to Scott's reply.

Scott, I more question. Why would my swim instructor insist I learn to swim on my back. I couldn't do it. I wasn't coordinated or something but I never got the hang of it. it took the fun out of going and I always had an excuse not to go..yikes Oh yea, I still can not swim on my back, not even 1 stroke, water goes over my head, my shoulders won't work that way...lol

karl

Edited by KWDreamun 2015-01-08 11:18 AM
2015-01-08 2:23 PM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Master
South Alabama

For any of you folks just getting into the sport and looking for a wetsuit I have a Xterra sleeveless, size M, I will sell for $50 shipped. It is maybe 4 years old but I only used it 5-6 times (not too many wetsuit legal races down here).  I think it was their base model back when I bought it.

Short run, easy bike and making up a swim workout from earlier in the week. So, I have my own "mini" triathlon to complete today. Swim and run done at lunch and bike this evening.  My coach never schedules all 3 for the same day other than maybe the day before a race to stay loose.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Karl/KWDreamun-you doing Red Hills this year? I know that is in your neck of the woods. I have done it the last 2 years and am registered for this year. 

2015-01-08 3:28 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Randy, with foot the way it is and haven't been able to run, I will probably volunteer. I was signed up last year but it was COLD. My hat is off to you!!! Maybe I'll see you there and we can get lunch or something. That is a FUN race!

karl
2015-01-08 7:52 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Stuartap 

BTW - it sounds like you are proficient with excel. If you ever need any assistance on making the cells auto calculate just let me know. I am a power user of excel and have taught advance excel classes at the university level. Always happy to play with a new spreadsheet. Yes, I know it's a bit weird.

Hey Stuart,

I'm somewhat proficient in Excel, but my no means a power-user.  Thank you for the offer.  I have the spreadsheet made for the weight loss/workout challenge.  I put a couple nested IF functions in and I always seem to have to take a couple swings at getting the syntac right but I have it working now.

If I need another spreadsheet done, you're my guy and I will take you up on the offer.

2015-01-08 10:36 PM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by luvschips

When I started swimming 2 years ago, I watched "Total Immersion" video series every single night. I usually swim 1500 yards one day and 1 mile in the lake on another when I am training. Over these 2 years I have not become faster at all so obviously I am doing something wrong. I will admit that I don't understand all those drills you guys talk about: 4x25, ladders, etc. I usually just swim and try to feel the stroke.

Donna

Hi Donna,

You mentioned two things here and I suspect that both may also be contributing to your problem.

Total Immersion swimmers tend to take front quadrant timing to an extreme and generally have low turnover rates with quite a lot of glide.  In short, they often have a dead spot in their stroke.  Obviously I haven't seen you swim yet, but if history is any guide, that is part of the problem - and yes, that would constitute a technique flaw in my opinion.

The other problem may be the way your are training.  I take what you said - "I usually swim 1500 yards one day and 1 mile in the lake on another when I am training," to mean that you are doing straight swims?  If all you are doing is long swims, that is going to train you to swim slow for a really long time.  At this point in the season, you want to be doing repetitions at approximately your threshold pace plus 10 seconds per 100 with 30-45 seconds rest between repetitions - I would suggest 200's one day and 100's the next..  That will work on building your aerobic base.  When you get about 20 weeks out from your race, begin to change over to repetitions at threshold pace plus 3-5 seconds per 100 and lower the rest to 20 seconds.That will raise your threshold speed, which is what matters to a triathlete. 

I am sure we will delve in to the subject of how to properly train for an endurance swimming event at some point in the coming weeks.  For now, suffice to say that there is a specific way an athlete should train for a triathlon swim.  While the volume is different for the different race distances, the methodology is the same.  Swimming long swims doesn't help raise your threshold pace and in fact, doesn't really do much of anything.  Swimming anaerobically with a swim team helps you swim faster, but you aren't going to be swimming anaerobically in a triathlon if you have designs on finishing.  This is the biggest mistake that I see age group triathletes make - they don't fully understand the swim and they often don't know how to properly train for the swim.

Hopefully we can clear up some of the confusion in the coming weeks.

2015-01-09 12:12 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by DJP_19

Scott,

I've been trying to improve my swim technique at my local tri club swim clinic each Sunday. One member of our tri club is a swim coach, so he observes new swimmers like me and provides a bit of coaching. He walks the deck and also does underwater observations during the clinic.

He made the email comment below after our most recent swim clinic:

"Dave's problem with stroke length starts with his shoulder rotator's being too tight. When Dave swims, I see a lot of muscular work on the recovery phase, because he's so tight it takes significant effort to bring the arm to the front, and I think that's the endurance issue right there.

I recommend a GENTLE (really! No injuries allowed!) daily routine of rotator cuff stretching with an elastic pull cord. It can't hurt and I believe it will help keep away the shoulder rotator cuff tears that are common with men. I do it every day since I had my shoulder trauma and I know it helps me."

I'm wonding if you have seen this issue and if so, have used pull cord or any other stretching drills to address. I"ve been so focused on improving my leg and torso flexibility that I have not paid any attention to lack of flexibility in my shoulders. I'd appreciate any thoughts you could offer.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

The "coach" mentioned two different things, so let's look at them separately starting with the so-called endurance issue first.

The coach said, "I see a lot of muscular work on the recovery phase, because he's so tight it takes significant effort to bring the arm to the front, and I think that's the endurance issue right there." The coach seems to be implying that your endurance is suffering because poor shoulder flexibility is effecting you recovery.   This doesn't make sense to me, let's drill down a bit and see why.  If your shoulders are as tight as the coach seems to think they are, that is going to effect shoulder motion in general, not just in one direction.  Water is approximately 800 times more resistant than air so you are expending FAR more energy during the pull than you are during the recovery.  Even though I have never seen you swim, I can safely say that your recovery, by itself, is not the root cause of any endurance issue you may have.  That is not to say you have good shoulder flexibility nor is it saying you have a good recovery.  Again, I haven't seen you swim.  I am sure you have heard me say that I consider freestyle to be a circular stroke; you can't have a good recovery without a good release, you can't have a good release without a good pull, you can't have a good pull without a good catch, you can't have a good catch without a good entry, and you can't have a good entry without a good recovery.  If there is a hitch in the giddy-up anywhere in the stroke cycle it is going to manifest itself as reduced speed and reduced endurance.

What is the basis for saying there is an endurance issue?  If there is indeed an endurance issue, it is more likely a result of improper training methods, a technique issue, or a combination of the two.  If someone can shoot some video at one of these clinics I will be happy to offer a second opinion.

As to shoulder flexibility exercises.  The coach says, "I recommend a GENTLE (really! No injuries allowed!) daily routine of rotator cuff stretching with an elastic pull cord. It can't hurt and I believe it will help keep away the shoulder rotator cuff tears that are common with men."  I have a bit of an issue here because the coach says, "It can't hurt and I believe it will help keep away the shoulder rotator cuff tears that are common with men."  Is he recommending the exercise because he thinks you need to improve flexibility or is he recommending the exercise to prevent an injury?  That isn't really clear to me.  It is also worth mention that specific rotator cuff exercises are normally used only in physical therapy following a rotator cuff tear.  I have never heard of a stretch involving an elastic pull cord.  If you are looking to increase flexibility, a good exercise to increase shoulder flexibility is shoulder pull throughs.  I do absolutely agree with the GENTLE recommendation.

Pull Throughs - Start in a standing position holding a light stick by your waist. You can use a broom stick, without the broom head or any stick around 4 - 6 ft long. Hold the stick very wide, WELL beyond shoulder width, and slowly pull the stick up towards your chest.  Keep the stick as close to your body as possible and when you reach a point that you can’t pull it up any higher, externally rotate your shoulders and push the stick overhead until your arms are full extended. Make sure to bring the stick slightly behind your head. Bring the stick down to your waist and repeat 6-8 reps.  If the exercise is difficult to complete, move the stick several inches in front of your body.  If you experience any pain, immediately stop the exercise.

I have worked with swimmers that had decreased shoulder flexibility.  Normally decreased shoulder flexibility makes it more difficult to achieve a high elbow recovery.  If that is the case, we simply make a couple of minor changes in technique to account for the decreased flexibility and move on.  We would gradually move back to proper technique as flexibility improves.  Generally, pull throughs for a couple weeks and just putting in sufficient training volume with a focus on proper technique will increase shoulder flexibility and improve technique with a commensurate increase in endurance.

Hope that helps and answers the question.

2015-01-09 9:41 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hello all. Anyone have big plans for the weekend? Cold here through tomorrow and rainy on Sunday. Plan is for a bike and run both days. Tired of riding in the garage.....ready to get outside.

Have a good weekend everyone!

2015-01-09 10:59 AM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by slornow

Hello all. Anyone have big plans for the weekend? Cold here through tomorrow and rainy on Sunday. Plan is for a bike and run both days. Tired of riding in the garage.....ready to get outside.

Hey Randy:

I wouldn't call my plans "big", as it will be my normal weekend routine. There is an 11 mile loop I run easy with a buddy of mine every Saturday morning. It will be more comfortable than last week as the temps will be in the high 20's. Last weekend it was mid-teens. Brrr. Sunday is just a long two hours on the indoor trainer in my man cave watching football playoffs. To much ice on the roads for outdoor riding.

Bragging rights--my home city was ranked #5 on a list of the most fit friendly cities in America. Stu--Charlottesville is on the list as well at #8!

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-most-fitness-friendly-cities-in-...

Steve
2015-01-09 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by k9car363

BTW - it sounds like you are proficient with excel. If you ever need any assistance on making the cells auto calculate just let me know. I am a power user of excel and have taught advance excel classes at the university level. Always happy to play with a new spreadsheet. Yes, I know it's a bit weird.

Hey Stuart,

I'm somewhat proficient in Excel, but my no means a power-user.  Thank you for the offer.  I have the spreadsheet made for the weight loss/workout challenge.  I put a couple nested IF functions in and I always seem to have to take a couple swings at getting the syntac right but I have it working now.

If I need another spreadsheet done, you're my guy and I will take you up on the offer.

Scott not to get too geeky but you know I am a total numbers guy when I got excited about Excel 2007 removing the limitation on nested if statements from 7 functions to 64. I think the most I have ever actually done is in the 30s though.

Given my work schedule I have struggled getting enough training in. I have had a decent week in the gym though. I have been riding a stationary bike between 45-60 minutes and then to a treadmill. The treadmill has been short but I want to work on the muscle transition.

One of the two days this weekend I hope to get a long ride in.

BTW - on the weight loss challenge, what day do we begin counting the workouts? I always weigh myself on Sunday mornings but are we counting activity on Sunday or beginning Monday?

Stuart

2015-01-09 1:53 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
>What is the basis for saying there is an endurance issue?  If there is indeed an endurance issue, it is more likely a result of improper training methods, a technique issue, or a combination of the two.  If someone can shoot some video at one of these clinics I will be happy to offer a second opinion.

As to shoulder flexibility exercises.  The coach says, "I recommend a GENTLE (really! No injuries allowed!) daily routine of rotator cuff stretching with an elastic pull cord. It can't hurt and I believe it will help keep away the shoulder rotator cuff tears that are common with men."  I have a bit of an issue here because the coach says, "It can't hurt and I believe it will help keep away the shoulder rotator cuff tears that are common with men."  Is he recommending the exercise because he thinks you need to improve flexibility or is he recommending the exercise to prevent an injury?  That isn't really clear to me.  It is also worth mention that specific rotator cuff exercises are normally used only in physical therapy following a rotator cuff tear. 

Scott,

Thanks for responding with some thoughts.

A bit of context to clarify: Dave(the coach) was not only responding to me but also another guy who suffered a separated shoulder in a bike crash last summer. So that's where the injury prevention reference came in. Also, our email exchanges were centered around building up swim distances needed for longer tri events.

Specific to my stroke, he has made a few observations: 1) My left hand stroke entry generally starts out near the centerline of my body, but the right hand sometimes enters the water out away from my body. 2) My strokes are often too frequent and too short. 3) My feet are often not pointed away, (particularly as I get tired), and this causes extra drag. His other suggestion is that I'm very tight in both the upper body and the ankles and could benefit from working on shoulder and ankle flexibility .

Your shoulder flexibility drill seems easy enough to do. I'll give it a try.

Reading your response and then re-visiting your site have me thinking that I may need to do a practice of some basic drills before each swim as a way to keep the technique fresh in mind. I managed the sprint distance swims last summer, but I know more work is needed if I'm going to do longer distances.

Thanks,

Dave

2015-01-09 2:01 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Cold temps and snowy roads mean its indoor training around here this weekend. Yoga session tonight, quick swim then treadmill run tomorrow, swim clinic on Sunday. I'm just happy to be able to run without calf pain, even if its on a treadmill.

Dave
2015-01-09 3:37 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

I'm looking forward to my 2nd Zendurance cycling clinic (indoor) on Sunday by Shane Eversfield, Zendurance creator. How to enlist the force of gravity and translate it into forward motion on the bike. Neural training, good stuff. I went last Sunday but was really worn out from Saturday's long run, so I did my long run today, 10 miles. At 20 degrees, it's warmer than it has been, but the wind was absolutely horrendous. For a ways, I had to run sideways, leading with my shoulder like I was trying to break down a door, and my face froze even under my ninja mask.
I also miscalculated with the Yaktrax. I wore them the 1st 4 miles, thinking the snowplow had left more snow on the shoulder than they had. Since I found myself running with them on hard surface more than you should, I then took them off & stashed them. The next 2 miles though were a secondary road that was quite slick; it's also uphill. So I was running uphill with no traction and it was difficult. (At least it was out of the wind though; that's why I chose this section.) I think what I'll do next time is wear a race belt that I can attach my Yaktrax to. That way I can take them off and put them on as conditions dictate.
This was really one of the hardest runs I've done ever. I do sometimes use the treadmill, but not for 10 miles!
Saturday is a rest day, but I'll probably take my favorite 11-year old to the pool and play in the water with her. Usually, I also get in 2-3 sets of 400's though. These are typically pure joy, as it's not a WORKout.
I find anything in the water to be great recovery.
Have a great one, everybody.
Deb
2015-01-09 6:26 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Originally posted by lutzman

Hey Randy:

I wouldn't call my plans "big", as it will be my normal weekend routine. There is an 11 mile loop I run easy with a buddy of mine every Saturday morning. It will be more comfortable than last week as the temps will be in the high 20's. Last weekend it was mid-teens. Brrr. Sunday is just a long two hours on the indoor trainer in my man cave watching football playoffs. To much ice on the roads for outdoor riding.

Bragging rights--my home city was ranked #5 on a list of the most fit friendly cities in America. Stu--Charlottesville is on the list as well at #8!

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-most-fitness-friendly-cities-in-...

Steve

Steve, By easy run do you mean low 8 min miles? That's almost all out for me at this point Hill repeats for me tomorrow and then 9 miles for Sunday, it should be much nicer that it was a few days ago when it was 4 or the 30 below wind chill 2 nights ago. My wife and I went on a mini vacation this week, so most of my runs were on the dreadmill, which I hate! but 40 - 50 MPH winds today would have not been fun, I guess I'm not as dedicated as Deb! Very icy out now so the runs are in my yaktrax and stepping gently to prevent injury.

Karl, sorry about the foot take it easy and get it healed.

A little jealous of everyone swimming, I just don't have the time right now, but will need to start soon to get ready for my half.

Looking forward to getting started on the weight loss challenge!
Scott, have you thought about putting it up on Google docs so you don's have to worry about entering all the information? Just a thought

Enjoy the journey!

Dan
2015-01-09 8:11 PM
in reply to: 0

woah tough going

good job!!

matrixband12

Thomas

How come i dont see my name on the left??

Edited by matrixband12 2015-01-09 8:12 PM

2015-01-09 8:44 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

BTW - on the weight loss challenge, what day do we begin counting the workouts? I always weigh myself on Sunday mornings but are we counting activity on Sunday or beginning Monday?

Stuart

Stuart,

The challenge week goes Monday - Sunday with minutes and weight change posted on Sunday evening or Monday sometime.  I don't suppose it really matters what your workout week is, so long as you consistently use the same days.  For example, my workout plan is Sun - Sat so that is what I will continue to use and I will just report the week on Sunday afternoon.  There isn't going to be workout or weight police checking so whatever works and is the easiest.

2015-01-09 8:53 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Nothing special.  My normal Saturday is an hour or so on the bike and then an hour or so running.  Suppose to rain tomorrow though so the bike may be on the trainer and the run will be one of those runs where people point at you and say, "What an idiot!"

2015-01-09 9:02 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by DJP_19

Reading your response and then re-visiting your site have me thinking that I may need to do a practice of some basic drills before each swim as a way to keep the technique fresh in mind . . .

Dave

Dave,

Or you could take a look at the warm-up I recommend, it does exactly what you mentioned and turns casual warm-up time into productive workout time.

2015-01-09 9:09 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Mountaindan

Scott, have you thought about putting it up on Google docs so you don's have to worry about entering all the information? Just a thought 

Nah, now that the spreadsheet is done it will only take a couple minutes to update the numbers.

2015-01-09 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I had a pretty decent swim today.  At least it felt pretty good with some speed work which I really enjoy (I'm not fast but I like to pretend).  I worked hard on keeping my elbow high and I'd like to think I was a bit faster.  While swimming I found a quarter on the bottom of the pool.  That makes 95 cents over the last few months.

On the way home from the pool I saw a woman out on her road bike.  We don't see that too often in January.

For the weekend, I usually take a day off on Sunday but tomorrow I've got 1:30 on the bike and I am supposed to run an hour of hill work (on the trainer).  In the afternoon I'm getting together with a group of training friends for an extended coffee break.  As soon as our sidewalks and roads are clear of ice and slush I want to move outside for running.

2015-01-10 12:53 AM

User image

Scott - I think you are 100% correct on everything you said and I look forward to covering the proper way to train for a triathlon swim :-)

You mentioned "threshold". So does that mean I swim for 200 yards as fast as I can? I am going to do what you suggest next week and try not to "hesitate" in my stroke. I definetly have that "glide" portion.

Donna
2015-01-10 6:11 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

New user

I am just North of Toronto
2015-01-10 6:23 AM

User image

New user

I'm going to the Milton International Challenge (to watch) in the new Velodrome here in Toronto, I will do an ez ride inside it's -19c here today -24c with the wind chill - Sunday bike run and swim work out.
2015-01-10 6:51 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Scott - thanks for getting the challenge set up. I look forward to participating and getting back under 200!

First week in a long time with two bike and swim workouts, even though one of my swim workouts had to be cut short. Plus reacquainting myself with the weights (egad... some sore muscles there). Been run focused for several months. Hoping to at least maintain the run fitness going forward, but already slipping this week, so need to get a good long run in this weekend - probably Sunday as the weather will be nicer.

Anyone happen to see this?

http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/09/ces-notebook-this-virtual-biking-...

There's a future Christmas present for the triathlete who has everything :-)

Happy training, everyone!

Stu

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open