BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PeterAK's Group: THIS TREEHOUSE IS FULL!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2008-01-19 6:55 PM
in reply to: #1094997

User image

Colorado
Subject: RE: PeterAK's Group: THIS TREEHOUSE IS FULL!!!
Does anybody have a good recommendation for a watch I can swim with? All I need is a lap counter and timer.  My current one is a cheap Nike brand plastic thing that used to be lavendar in color.  The chlorine turned the majority of it a yellowish-brown color, so I'm embarrassed to wear it anymore.  I want to find one that won't turn this ugly color in the pool......Thanks.

2008-01-19 7:09 PM
in reply to: #1165864

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago

AndriaLL - 2008-01-19 6:55 PM Does anybody have a good recommendation for a watch I can swim with? All I need is a lap counter and timer.  My current one is a cheap Nike brand plastic thing that used to be lavendar in color.  The chlorine turned the majority of it a yellowish-brown color, so I'm embarrassed to wear it anymore.  I want to find one that won't turn this ugly color in the pool......Thanks.

I use this:

http://www.sportcount.com/

2008-01-19 9:02 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan
HI DAVE!!
2008-01-20 10:39 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

Eric, that sounds scary!  Hope you get back to good quickly and figure out what is causing your issues.

Dave, that is a cool product, thanks for posting.  I always have a hard time remembering laps and for $25 that looks like a great solution.

I slept in today so now the plan is to run later in the day.  Running outside is not an option as the temperature will be in the low single digits.  Hoping to get a tread mill in front of the Packer game!

2008-01-20 7:44 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

How was the weekend gang?

I had a decent swim Friday, uninspired 30 miler on the computrainer Saturday, and felt good on a 4.5 mile run today. Glad to have the swimming and running picking back up in my life!

2008-01-20 10:10 PM
in reply to: #1166911

PeterAK - 2008-01-20 7:44 PM

How was the weekend gang?

I had a decent swim Friday, uninspired 30 miler on the computrainer Saturday, and felt good on a 4.5 mile run today. Glad to have the swimming and running picking back up in my life!

Hey gang - back in action again.  Found out Monday I wasn't needed at work anymore so I spent most of the week job searching / had a interview already / have another on Monday.  I moped around for a while and didn't get much sleep or anything to eat.  My best BT friend pretty much threatened to kick my a$$ and got me back out there.  I ran 6 miles on Friday and 6.5 today.  Amazingly I felt great on both days.  Today was -23 degrees windchill factor to boot!

Thanks gang for all the inspires - really really really appreciated them! Smile

2008-01-20 10:38 PM
in reply to: #1167285

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

Sorry to hear about the job, Dave.  Hope you land on your feet quickly, and it sounds like you didn't waste much time.  Good luck in the interview tomorrow!

Nice job on the runs.  I wussed out and ran inside today--no freezing my nose off for fitness--but I respect ya for it! 

2008-01-20 11:18 PM
in reply to: #1167315

PeterAK - 2008-01-20 10:38 PM

Sorry to hear about the job, Dave.  Hope you land on your feet quickly, and it sounds like you didn't waste much time.  Good luck in the interview tomorrow!

Nice job on the runs.  I wussed out and ran inside today--no freezing my nose off for fitness--but I respect ya for it! 

Thanks - I would have run farther but it was way too cold.  My ear lobes and nose were starting to "tingle" I guess you'd call it.  Otherwise it felt really good.  Last year around this time when I was just starting out I couldn't run 2 miles and when I did it took me almost 30 minutes.

I actually have another phone call w/ the Athens, GA job tomorrow morning in addition to a local interview!

2008-01-20 11:29 PM
in reply to: #1165890

User image

Colorado
daveo1101 - 2008-01-19 6:09 PM

AndriaLL - 2008-01-19 6:55 PM Does anybody have a good recommendation for a watch I can swim with? All I need is a lap counter and timer.  My current one is a cheap Nike brand plastic thing that used to be lavendar in color.  The chlorine turned the majority of it a yellowish-brown color, so I'm embarrassed to wear it anymore.  I want to find one that won't turn this ugly color in the pool......Thanks.

I use this:

http://www.sportcount.com/

That looks cool--and easy to use.  Has it maintained it's color in chlorine water?  (Mine says waterproof, to 100 m, but the plastic is a disgusting color now)  $40--not bad for timer and lap counter. 

2008-01-21 10:23 AM
in reply to: #1167285

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago

daspanglees/dave  - good luck on the interviews and getting back into the workforce - being laid off sucks... stay focused and kick !

AndriaLL- well it is still blue! - it is solid  it does not really discolor - also rinsing things in cold water after pool swims really seems to help.  There are a coupe different model if this - at least when I got it there were - I recommend the one that does  not only counts laps but also takes splits for them, you can't read each split out but it will give fast/slow/avg. When I want to record splits i also use my watch so I have both going at the same time - sorta dorky but it works for me

On a separate note - anyone else use the Tanita body composition scales? - any thoughts? I was recalibrating mine this morning ( day off work for MLK day - Hooray!) - resetting my age as it still had 43.... and I decided to re-read the manual and try to make it accurate - so I have it now for athlete setting... - it dropped my BF% by about 5% - which is cool though it still thinks I am "obese" - NFW....  AND it says I am 50 years old HAHAHA. though my  Water%, Visceral fat, and  bone mase appear to be well withing normal limits... anyway - I think I will use it as a comparitive measure to itself and not as an absolute measure.. again - any experience or thoughts on this?

WB Eric - hope you feel better

Edited by daveo1101 2008-01-21 10:24 AM
2008-01-21 12:57 PM
in reply to: #1166911

Regular
I really (x10) didn't feel like doing my Sunday workout. Just an incredibly lazy day, didn't want to get out of my computer chair after reading the morning news. I did manage motion, which I'm fairly proud of considering it was 17 degrees (F) and quite windy. I do my runs by time, so I ran out for 10 min (with the wind) and then was supposed to be 10 back, to get me home. Running against the wind was a lot harder! Who knew?! This put me about a mile from my house. I'm tired, stray hair has frozen to my face, I'm grouchy, and I'm about to get very cold. And I didn't bring my cell phone.

I made it, with the residual heat carrying me through quite comfortably actually. Then I had to get in the car and drive to the gym to swim. (groans) This was really one of those "why bother?" days, for no reason that I can figure out. I walk into the gym and there's sign, "Hey! Would you like to be in better shape? Considered a triathlon!" - Meet and greet meeting is next Thursday. No such thing as coincidence.

When-ever I seem at a low-point, something comes along. Neat trick, if only I could control it.

2008-01-22 3:58 PM
in reply to: #1168046

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

Good job on the run Teresa!  That had to be a confidence builder.  Good reminder to all of us that pushing our "limits" and increasing our abilities means that sometimes we need to get out of the comfort zone!

Okay, I gotta admit to you guys, I'm a bit disappointed that not everyone has been participating.  Please come back!  I want there to be discussion among all of us!  Feel free to tell me what you would like more of from me.  Have questions?  Want to share exciting breakthroughs?  Having difficulty making progress?  Having a ho-hum day?  Let's talk about it!

2008-01-22 4:10 PM
in reply to: #1170356

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago

No exciting breakthroughs here but more than happy to join in conversation.

Question I see many folks have milage marked when they are doing trainer rides... Short of having a computrainer- how does that work? My odometer is on the Front tire so I have to go by time, cadance, and  Heart rate, I'd love to know how far I am going - especially since the race Sunday is distance covered in a specific time.

I am futsing with diet - going a bit more higher protein and just trying to get the right about of carbs. I admit I am trying to drop a few pounds _ hell I'd like to drop 20 but getting to 180 seems like a  long shot though it is doable - one of the things I've started is to incorportae high volume low resistance "weight" training as another means of stimulating my metabolism.

Thoughts?

2008-01-22 4:20 PM
in reply to: #1170393

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

My MO has been to record mileage if I'm on the Computrainer, but if I'm on a mag trainer file it as trainer time.  Trainers just don't reflect the real world so my thinking is best to focus on HR or perceived effort for those workouts.  When I got the computer for my tri bike I spent a little more because I wanted wireless cadence and along with that the speed sensor is on the rear wheel.  Makes for a really clean looking bike.

Dave, I'm curious as to your reasoning for more protein.  Is it mostly for weight management?  If I understand right, the issue you have had with lack of carbs is primarily due to intake just before and during workouts so probably not relevant but good to think about this stuff in the big picture.  I thought of you when I started what was planned to be a 3.5 mile run by sucking down some Gatorade!  Went an extra mile watching the Packer game on the treddy and killed the whole bottle of Gatorade in less than 45 minutes and was thirsty for a whole lot more!

2008-01-22 4:38 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-01-22 4:45 PM
in reply to: #1170425

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago

PeterAK - 2008-01-22 4:20 PM

Dave, I'm curious as to your reasoning for more protein.  Is it mostly for weight management?  If I understand right, the issue you have had with lack of carbs is primarily due to intake just before and during workouts so probably not relevant but good to think about this stuff in the big picture. 

That's a good point! Trying to work out the sweet spot where there is enough carbs for fuel but not so much that it is adding garbage weight. - The protein helps me feel sated longer. Most of my carbs are fruits and veggies and some grain products but I tend to overdo bread and pasta so i have to stay mindful there. That and the red wine/beer darnit!

2008-01-22 8:52 PM
in reply to: #1170460

Elite
In The Peleton

Hilary, when I'm sick, rest, hydration, and nutrition get top priority.  After that, low intensity and short exercise gets done if I'm up to it.  Definitely don't push it if you are already really tired, but even a 20 minute walk can help move forward and work through illness if you are up to it.  Get better!

Dave, I love me some beer.   I never cut it out during IM training, but in the last two months limited myself to one or maybe two at most in a day.  Mmm, beer.  

My trainer rides lately have been totally uninspired.  I am going to start logging what I stuff in my mouth tomorrow.  I haven't been getting enough of the good stuff and this will help me get back on track.  Yes, that's right, you will all get to see just how many Oreo's I eat in a week.   

2008-01-23 9:23 AM
in reply to: #1170460

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
hhpvbtri - 2008-01-22 4:38 PM

So I'm wondering.  What's everyone's philosphy on exercise while sick. 

For me from the neck up I'll try to get the work in - if it is in my lungs - forget it  - I rest

2008-01-23 10:21 AM
in reply to: #1171548

Veteran
San Antonio
Ditto on that. If I am coughing forget it. A head cold I can live with.

Oh yeah, Happy Birthday to me! 39 and never been kissed. Bet you can't guess my birthday wish?
2008-01-23 10:31 AM
in reply to: #1171693

Elite
In The Peleton
Happy birthday Eric!  You know we don't believe that never been kissed crap for a second, right???  Are you and your wife doing anything special to celebrate?
2008-01-23 10:39 AM
in reply to: #1171719

Veteran
San Antonio
I've been feeling good the last two days, so I think I'll venture out for Lunch and a movie since she is off today. I think the worst is behind me (fingers crossed) although I would really like to know what happened to me. And I have never been kissed - since I have been 39 anyway....and that has changed since the last post.

2008-01-23 11:32 AM

PeterAK - 2008-01-22 3:58 PM

Okay, I gotta admit to you guys, I'm a bit disappointed that not everyone has been participating.  Please come back!  I want there to be discussion among all of us!  Feel free to tell me what you would like more of from me.  Have questions?  Want to share exciting breakthroughs?  Having difficulty making progress?  Having a ho-hum day?  Let's talk about it!

I'm back - been a little pre-occupied w/ life events but want to thank you all for the inspires, PMs, emails and job search help.

I had been focusing this month on my running because it is my weakest and least favorite event.  I found that running w/ some one else has been a great help - makes the time go by faster and takes your mind off of "having" to run.  In fact I'm trying to line up another run today - outside - it's warmed up considerably, it's 5 degrees right now.  Last year at this time I couldn't make it 2 miles w/ out stopping.  Now I'm finding that 5 miles is an easy relaxing run for me and have gone longer.  Considering I missed at least 6 months of running w/ the torn knee cartilage and blood clot I'm extremely happy.

I need to focus on the diet - had not been eating well the past week or so - actually I'm the lightest now I've been in 10 years and I know the training has been helping w/ that.  My problem is I know what I should be doing, I just don't do it.  So feel free to "smack me around" every once in a while. 

Wow - look at Pete's post # - 1200 - have a beer to celebrate the milestone!

2008-01-24 1:36 PM
in reply to: #1171885

Elite
In The Peleton

Eric, glad you are feeling better!  Did you make it out yesterday?

Spanglers, hope the job hunt continues to go well.  I find that running solo is better for me, I just like to go at my own pace. 

It is still SOOPER cold today!  No outside runs for at least a few more days.  Going to hit the computrainer after work today and hope to get a swim in tomorrow.

So far I've been eating like crap since I started tracking my food...  Need to make a real effort to get back on track there.

Didn't get my planned swim in yesterday as it was an insane day at work.  Locked in a bunch of new business when the bond market moved and mortgage rates were awesome for an hour or two.  The next few weeks will be busy getting all of them to closing!

2008-01-24 2:03 PM

Regular
My first event has this to say, but what does it mean?

"begin a .25 mile, grade 6 climb back to [the transition area]."

I'm already spooked because the thought of climbing much of any hill, and then having to jump off and run, is less than inspiring. But this seems even worse than that. Grade six sure doesn't sound like a gentle rolling hill. This will be my first. Worst case, I walk the bike the last quarter mile? Is that allowed?

It's in June, so I guess I'll haul my bike and butt out there and try a few times before that, eh?
2008-01-24 2:24 PM

I woke up early today to try to go for a run - but it was -8 degrees at 5am so I skipped it.  Later in the morning I hit the Y for a short swim (it had been almost 2 months since I'd been to the pool and just wanted to make sure I wasn't too rusty) then a nice short run in the dreadmill.

I'd much rather run outside but the sub zero temps and extra windchill make it very desirable.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PeterAK's Group: THIS TREEHOUSE IS FULL!!! Rss Feed  

of 27