BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-07-25 10:32 PM
in reply to: #2769226

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!

I think it is pretty amazing that two guys who met via a Mentor group complete 140.6 miles and finish less than 2 minutes apart.  Josh and Fred pretty much crossed the line at the same time.  Awesome job by all 4 members of our group who raced today.  Congrats and it looks like all the hard work paid off!

2010-07-25 11:07 PM
in reply to: #3003918

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Agree, those 2 killed it.  Dylan and Sara did very well despite having injury issues during their training. 

On a side note, the last 2 people in were bt'ers trizee and his spouse, coming in together with about 90 seconds left.  Makes me wish I could get my wife to do one.
2010-07-25 11:14 PM
in reply to: #3003957

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
furiousferret - 2010-07-25 9:07 PM Agree, those 2 killed it.  Dylan and Sara did very well despite having injury issues during their training. 

On a side note, the last 2 people in were bt'ers trizee and his spouse, coming in together with about 90 seconds left.  Makes me wish I could get my wife to do one.

That is so cool! I saw them cross the line, congrats to them! 
2010-07-25 11:21 PM
in reply to: #3003965

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
calimavs - 2010-07-25 10:14 PM
furiousferret - 2010-07-25 9:07 PM Agree, those 2 killed it.  Dylan and Sara did very well despite having injury issues during their training. 

That is so cool! I saw them cross the line, congrats to them! 

X2.  I saw them also. Great job.
2010-07-26 7:13 AM
in reply to: #3003918

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

GRB1 - 2010-07-25 11:32 PM

I think it is pretty amazing that two guys who met via a Mentor group complete 140.6 miles and finish less than 2 minutes apart.  Josh and Fred pretty much crossed the line at the same time.  Awesome job by all 4 members of our group who raced today.  Congrats and it looks like all the hard work paid off!

I saw that times and thought the same thing!!

Impressive day for all 4 of our group!! Congratulations to all of you!!

2010-07-26 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
I got called into work yesterday which killed all the plans I had for yesterday. No training on Sunday which was scheduled as a 2 1/2 hour ride, 30 min run and 30 min swim. 3 1/2 hours out of your training plan kills your week. This week is my 1st rest week of my 1/2 IM plan so I should enjoy it and then next week I'm on vacation.

It was a busy news day in AZ (Yes, I am a TV news photographer). A MD-80 landed in Flagstaff with the engine on fire and 154 people on board. 7 people got hurt jumping out of the plane. I didn't cover this but I went to a missing 2 year old that wandered away from his camp site at 1:30 in the morning. It is now 34 hours later and they still have no sign of him. He's only wearing a diaper so I'm guessing bad things have happened to this little guy. Always keeping my fingers crossed but I've also seen a lot of bad things in these cases. It had rained and there was a lot of running water around the camp. This happened near Sedona, AZ which is a very popular tourist area here.

Because I had to work I also didn't get to check back on how our IMLP people were doing. Fred and Josh had an amazing day and Dylan also had a very impressive time and Sara sounds like she had a fun and successful IM. So proud of all 4 of you.

2010-07-26 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3004613

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
phxphotog - 2010-07-26 8:34 AM I got called into work yesterday which killed all the plans I had for yesterday. No training on Sunday which was scheduled as a 2 1/2 hour ride, 30 min run and 30 min swim. 3 1/2 hours out of your training plan kills your week. This week is my 1st rest week of my 1/2 IM plan so I should enjoy it and then next week I'm on vacation.

It was a busy news day in AZ (Yes, I am a TV news photographer). A MD-80 landed in Flagstaff with the engine on fire and 154 people on board. 7 people got hurt jumping out of the plane. I didn't cover this but I went to a missing 2 year old that wandered away from his camp site at 1:30 in the morning. It is now 34 hours later and they still have no sign of him. He's only wearing a diaper so I'm guessing bad things have happened to this little guy. Always keeping my fingers crossed but I've also seen a lot of bad things in these cases. It had rained and there was a lot of running water around the camp. This happened near Sedona, AZ which is a very popular tourist area here.

Because I had to work I also didn't get to check back on how our IMLP people were doing. Fred and Josh had an amazing day and Dylan also had a very impressive time and Sara sounds like she had a fun and successful IM. So proud of all 4 of you.

I know the feeling, I had to work this weekend as well.  Fortunately though I work at a desk so I made the IMLP spreadsheet (KathyG usually does it but was on vacation).

My reasons aren't as glamorous as yours, just swapping out hard drives on our storage units.

Are you still racing Nathans and SOMA?  I thought they were going to be duathlons?
2010-07-26 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Thank you all for your thoughts and encouragement!!!I'm feeling pretty great but the delayed fatigue and soreness is creeping in. I'm happy to report that fred josh and dylan are extraordinary guys and i'm so happy i was able to meet them in person. I'll get a race report up when i can get on a computer.
2010-07-26 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3005320

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

WittyCityGirl - 2010-07-26 3:17 PM Thank you all for your thoughts and encouragement!!!I'm feeling pretty great but the delayed fatigue and soreness is creeping in. I'm happy to report that fred josh and dylan are extraordinary guys and i'm so happy i was able to meet them in person. I'll get a race report up when i can get on a computer.

Congratulations Sara!!! I am looking forward to reading your race report!! Rest up and recover well!!

2010-07-26 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3005320

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
WittyCityGirl - 2010-07-26 12:17 PM Thank you all for your thoughts and encouragement!!!I'm feeling pretty great but the delayed fatigue and soreness is creeping in. I'm happy to report that fred josh and dylan are extraordinary guys and i'm so happy i was able to meet them in person. I'll get a race report up when i can get on a computer.

Great job out there Sara, I'm looking forward to the race report.  

Did any of you sign up for next year?  How far did the roll downs go for Josh and Fred?
2010-07-26 3:44 PM
in reply to: #3005487

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-07-27 1:07 AM

Expert
After missing my long day (3 hours 15 min) yesterday I had a big lack of motivation today to get my 1 hour in. This is my rest week and I need to get my motivation back. We just had 4 people finish an Ironman and I can't get to the gym. What is wrong with me?

A HUGE congrats to all four of you for your amazing performance this weekend.

I am not doing Nathan's or SOMA anymore because they are duathlons because of the dam break at Tempe Town Lake. I'll find a couple of sprints to tide me over until next year. I'm looking strongly at Vineman 70.3.

Hope all our Ironmen and women are resting up their tired bodies.
2010-07-27 6:48 AM
in reply to: #3006493

2010-07-27 7:55 AM

Expert

THANKS for all of your support EVERYONE! It was a great day...and i did a LOT better than i thought possible. And...i got to meet a lot of BTer's..so that was really great!

Great job sara, fred, and josh!!!

2010-07-27 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3006722

Pro
Canandaigua NY

dharris13 - 2010-07-27 8:55 AM

THANKS for all of your support EVERYONE! It was a great day...and i did a LOT better than i thought possible. And...i got to meet a lot of BTer's..so that was really great!

Great job Dylan!!! Congratulations!!

2010-07-27 1:06 PM

2010-07-27 3:45 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
dharris13 - 2010-07-27 5:55 AM

Congrats Dylan!
2010-07-27 3:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
So I have been in a serious funk since Vineman. I'm recovered physically but I just can't motivate myself to get back into training. Does it usually take a week or two to get the motivation back?

I'm racing a HIM relay (doing the swim) this weekend so that should be fun but after that I'm not registered for any races. I was planning on doing the Santa Cruz Oly in September for fun and run the California International Marathon in Sacramento as my first marathon in December. I need to sign up for both of them and figure out a training plan for the marathon. Was thinking of using Hal Higdon's novice plan. I'm just feeling really blah and aimless now, it is hard to have no plan after being so scheduled for so many months.

And I'm starting to think about next year and want to get feedback from the group - how do you know you are ready for an Ironman? I'm seriously starting to consider signing up for Ironman Arizona 2011. My husband is on board and we have the $$. I'll need to improve my bike by quite a bit but with a year and a half I have a lot of time. The race is ~3 weeks before my 30th birthday and I was thinking it would be an awesome way to kick off my 30s. I'd probably do 2 more HIMs (Wildflower Long Course and Big Kahuna) in prep for IMAZ. What do you Ironman vets think?

2010-07-27 4:22 PM
in reply to: #3008282

Master
Redlands, CA
calimavs - 2010-07-27 1:53 PM So I have been in a serious funk since Vineman. I'm recovered physically but I just can't motivate myself to get back into training. Does it usually take a week or two to get the motivation back?

I'm racing a HIM relay (doing the swim) this weekend so that should be fun but after that I'm not registered for any races. I was planning on doing the Santa Cruz Oly in September for fun and run the California International Marathon in Sacramento as my first marathon in December. I need to sign up for both of them and figure out a training plan for the marathon. Was thinking of using Hal Higdon's novice plan. I'm just feeling really blah and aimless now, it is hard to have no plan after being so scheduled for so many months.

And I'm starting to think about next year and want to get feedback from the group - how do you know you are ready for an Ironman? I'm seriously starting to consider signing up for Ironman Arizona 2011. My husband is on board and we have the $$. I'll need to improve my bike by quite a bit but with a year and a half I have a lot of time. The race is ~3 weeks before my 30th birthday and I was thinking it would be an awesome way to kick off my 30s. I'd probably do 2 more HIMs (Wildflower Long Course and Big Kahuna) in prep for IMAZ. What do you Ironman vets think?

You have to ask yourself if you are willing to put in the work.  Just looking at a 7:37 finish at Vineman would put you roughly in the 16-17 hour spectrum of a geographically equal Ironman.  Not a whole lot of wiggle room.  

A year and a half is a long time to go and I think spending that time wisely and injury free I think you should be able to do it in sub 14 or better.  The key being no major injuries or loss of motivation.  Its a long time to train, and being hardcore into training is very hard to do compared to a 20 week plan. 

I'm targetting IMAZ 2011 as well, which the 2010 edition opens up for volunteers tommorow.   The race doesn't last long online so if you really want to get in you will have to volunteer.

Of course having not completed an IM myself I do feel awkward posting it, although I am confident its good advice.

Edited by furiousferret 2010-07-27 4:23 PM
2010-07-27 10:59 PM
in reply to: #3008361

Expert
Thornton, CO
furiousferret - 2010-07-27 3:22 PM
calimavs - 2010-07-27 1:53 PM So I have been in a serious funk since Vineman. I'm recovered physically but I just can't motivate myself to get back into training. Does it usually take a week or two to get the motivation back?

You have to ask yourself if you are willing to put in the work.  Just looking at a 7:37 finish at Vineman would put you roughly in the 16-17 hour spectrum of a geographically equal Ironman.  Not a whole lot of wiggle room.  

A year and a half is a long time to go and I think spending that time wisely and injury free I think you should be able to do it in sub 14 or better.  The key being no major injuries or loss of motivation.  Its a long time to train, and being hardcore into training is very hard to do compared to a 20 week plan. 

I'm targetting IMAZ 2011 as well, which the 2010 edition opens up for volunteers tommorow.   The race doesn't last long online so if you really want to get in you will have to volunteer.

Of course having not completed an IM myself I do feel awkward posting it, although I am confident its good advice.

Absolutely correct, it sold out in under 25minutes this past year.  So I'd expect the same or faster for the 2011 race. 
2010-07-27 11:29 PM
in reply to: #3008361

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
furiousferret - 2010-07-27 2:22 PM

Thanks Chris. The whole being up against the time cutoffs thing based on my current fitness level is what has me hesitating about signing up since as you said it won't leave a lot of time for the unexpected. My weakness is the bike so that will be a huge focus for me after my early December marathon leading up to IMAZ if I decide to do it. It's also the place I can shave off the most time.

I have a tentative plan for goal races leading up to IMAZ with some allowance for rest/down time so I wouldn't be pushing it all year long. I totally agree that having a singular focus on the IM for more than 20 weeks will most likely lead to burn out. I'm planning on running a marathon in early December then taking the holidays easy. In mid-January I'd start training for Wildflower long course which is in early May, then take a few weeks easy after that before then building to start whichever 20 week IM training program I pick in July.

I didn't realize IMAZ sold out that quickly last year. If I sign up I was planning to do it online but it sounds like maybe volunteering would be the way to go. Hmmm...

2010-07-28 12:52 AM

Expert
I'll be volunteering at IMAZ this year but I'm not planning on signing up for it. I do have some friends that are doing it though and our local tri group (First Wave) has an awesome and fun aid station. I'm just doing it for fun.

It's kind of confusing to be doing a 1/2 IM training program without a 1/2 IM at the end. We'll see how this goes.

Hope all our IMLP finishers are starting to recover. You rock!
2010-07-28 10:48 AM

Master
Dunedin

IM times are funny to predict... I thought I could double my HIM time (just under 6 hours) and tack on an hour of wiggle room.  I actually said to my mom the day before the race "If I don't come in under 14 hours then something seriously bad happened to me" and I came in just under 14 1/2 hours and in hindsight it wasn't that something seriously bad happened, I just hit a wall for about an hour, but was able to strategize to get through it.

I'm very, very thankful I held back on the bike.  It was tough getting passed by literally THOUSANDS of people.  I was 400-something out of the water and was well over 2,000 something for the bike. Ouch. BUT, I had solid legs for the first 17 miles of the run.  If you can keep yourself from falling apart on the run then you should be able to make that cut off if you're committed to the race. =)

2010-07-28 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3008928

Pro
Canandaigua NY

calimavs - 2010-07-28 12:29 AM
furiousferret - 2010-07-27 2:22 PM

Thanks Chris. The whole being up against the time cutoffs thing based on my current fitness level is what has me hesitating about signing up since as you said it won't leave a lot of time for the unexpected. My weakness is the bike so that will be a huge focus for me after my early December marathon leading up to IMAZ if I decide to do it. It's also the place I can shave off the most time.

I have a tentative plan for goal races leading up to IMAZ with some allowance for rest/down time so I wouldn't be pushing it all year long. I totally agree that having a singular focus on the IM for more than 20 weeks will most likely lead to burn out. I'm planning on running a marathon in early December then taking the holidays easy. In mid-January I'd start training for Wildflower long course which is in early May, then take a few weeks easy after that before then building to start whichever 20 week IM training program I pick in July.

I didn't realize IMAZ sold out that quickly last year. If I sign up I was planning to do it online but it sounds like maybe volunteering would be the way to go. Hmmm...

First, as far as motivation I struggle at times after big races to get back at it after recovering.  Usually what gets me going is getting registered for the next race but even that doesn't work sometimes!  It took me quite a bit of down time after IMLP in 2008 to get back at it.  Which leads me to my next point on knowing when you are ready.  I am pretty sure when I registered for 2008 I wasn't ready.  I had only completed one sprint tri with a pool swim.  Watching the online finishes got me hooked and I got in online!  But I put the work in and was pretty happy with the time I finished.  And the experience is something that is almost indescribable.  I do think one of the biggest challenges of IM's is that you have to sign up a year ahead of time and the motivation to get started training for first times is huge, but you cant train for a year for one event without risking burnout.  So your thoughts to some other events and focus on them with a little break is a good one.

But Chris is right, it is the time commitment to the training that is the biggest part of racing an IM.  If you have the time to commit to the training and the long runs and rides most every weekend for the 17 - 20 weeks before the race, you can get yourself ready.  I would also suggest, as you have mentioned, that you get some focus on improving the bike.  I used the winter maintenance - bike focus for the 8 weeks before the IM plan started.  It certainly helped!!

If you can't volunteer, the online seems to be a bit more available since they make you pay when you sign up but it still goes quick.  Volunteering is a good way get a feel for what to expect on race day too.  There is the community fund route available, but I think that about doubles the entry fee.

What ever you decide to do, good luck and enjoy the experience!

2010-07-28 4:19 PM

Master
Redlands, CA
Anyone here have experience with kinesio (sp?) tape?  specifically Spidertech?

My Chiro is ordering some for my achilles and neither of us are sure how well it will hold up in the pool. 

I found out my coworker will be out with a torn rotator cuff, so I'm on call indefinately;  lets just say despite the inconvenience the money will be nice, very nice ($$ cha ching $$)....we may be able to make it out to see the Giro de Italia next year    I may even try to do a Gran Fondo, but they are hard to get in. 

I signed up as a volunteer for IMAZ, as a wetsuit stipper, bodymarking, or spotter.   Basically anything during race morning.  Under the special skills section I put in my nunchucks expertise, but I don't think they'll need it.  Who knows? 

Ooooh, lookee there, 1000 posts.  Do I get a bt power poster medal?

Edited by furiousferret 2010-07-28 4:20 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121