BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 97

2013-04-17 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4703575

User image

Veteran
Dallas
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed
That is heart warming! I thought about you and was glad you were in Cleveland!I strongly believe that the good people outweigh the bad by far.Swam fast for 15 minutes. First time in the pool since the race.

2013-04-17 1:40 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Aaaawww! The good will always out weigh the evil! ALWAYSSSSS!
2013-04-17 1:45 PM
in reply to: #4700172

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Burd - 2013-04-15 4:39 AM
jlangene - 2013-04-14 9:37 PM
mirthfuldragon - 2013-04-14 7:01 PM
Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 

kevinbe

Kevin 
 thor67 Thor start over...hopefully!
 SportzVision Cynthia
  •  Track my food 3x
  • Drink more water
  • Swim with the boyz on Wed
  • Run in another 5K this weekend
  • Get an outdoor bike done 
  • Not give up!
 Wiff Kim 
 jlangeneJared 
  •  Monday 2 mile jog
  • Tuesday 10 mile bike
  • Wednesday 2 mile jog
  • Thursday 15 mile bike
  • Friday rest
  • Saturday 3 mile jog
  • Sunday 25 mile bike
mirthfuldragon Charles 
  •  Keep up lots of little runs
  • Enjoy the bike, 2 trainer sessions
  • Up the swim yardage
Burd Alex 
  • Get under 200#
  • 2x strength training
  • 4x pool
  • 2x elliptical.
  • Fix the IT band
Yakhead  Ian 
 bobddsmd  Bobby
  •  maybe Kona
  • maybe get ready for Crossfit
  • enjoy a little s/b/r
 Cassady Doug 
 lp3510 Lenny

Complete wk1 of the 16wk tri plan.

• Run x2
  • Swim x2
  • Bike x2

enjoy working out again.

justinfss Justin
  •  Run x3
  • Swim x1
  • Tune up the bike in the hopes that all this frigging snow melts soon!
  • get back to logging...
 firefighter Taj 
 snarky Elizabeth 
mcmanusclan5Matt  
DBrew99 Dan 
BigDH Darren/DH 
  Qua17 David or DQ
  • Finish the week with a calorie deficit
  • Run/Bike/Swim 2x

2013-04-18 5:46 AM
in reply to: #4543109

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

I had to cut my workouts short yesterday since I was spent.  Today is a rest day and it couldn't have come at a better time.  I think I'm going to take 2 rest days instead of just 1 until I build more of a base.  It's nothing crazy to get hurt doing just lifting, elliptical, and swimming.  Long story short...that took a ton out of me and I need a break.  At least after the knee injury I can now check my ego at the door and go about this correctly.  Maybe if I eat some spinach like Popeye my muscles won't be as damn sore Tongue out

Hope everyone has a great day planned!

2013-04-18 11:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

great idea on the two rest days Alex!

quick workout.

row, pull ups, push ups, squats on BOSU....repeat.

15 minutes in total.

2013-04-18 4:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Well I may be gimped up but I have signed up to take my first level of Triathlon coaching. All weekend long...should be interesting.

2013-04-18 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4702355

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
mirthfuldragon - 2013-04-16 10:01 AM

Finally pulled the trigger on my races for this year.  My credit card isn't too happy, but oh well.  Triathlon is an expensive hobby.

• Ravenswood 5k, 4/28/13
  • Trifesta Sprint Triathlon, 5/25/213
  • Rev3 Wisconsin Dells Olympic Triathlon, 8/11/13
  • Chicago Triathlon, Olympic distance, 8/24/13
  • Chicago Marathon, 10/13/13

Beast Mode engaged! Good on ya! Making me feel lazy as well.

2013-04-18 4:22 PM
in reply to: #4702536

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
bobddsmd - 2013-04-16 11:25 AM

got a quick row in, short run, a few pull ups and pushups. Still in recovery mode before crossfit. Total workout time was 20min.

Wearing my race shirt today at the office (and half of my staff).

Alex, I think it is important to use and not use a heart rate monitor. Mine malfunctioned during my race and I was not too concerned about that because I was used to going by effort.  I think it is helpful for you to know by feel what your heart rate is roughly. That will come with practice. There is a lot of info out there about heart rate training zones. I am no expert on that.

How are you liking crossfit Bobby, I just started back and got two classes in this week, kicked my in a good way and got a Deadlift PR (225#) Never have done much lifting so I was pretty pumped but my buddy who is 100 lbs lighter than me and a member of the fairer sex showed me up by doing 230#!!!

Great Fun!

2013-04-18 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

Qua17 - 2013-04-17 8:02 AM Morning all:I'm waiting for my kids to wake up. We've had an unbelievable vacation do far. It's been a rough year somewhat for everyone in my fam but seeing the smile on my older sons face when another boy (who he didn't know) gave him a foul ball made up for all of it. I'm not sure how it went down but I think the other boy just wanted to do something nice and so when he overheard that EQ was visiting from Boston - he handed over the baseball. Almost cried!Headed towards Toronto this morning once kids get up. I've been working out a little and watching my calories so I should be in track to have a decent week health wise. So glad things are going so well for so many of you! I'll.check in tomorrow when I get home!Prost!

Are you going to see the jays play? I am playing catch up on the posts, but I hope you enjoy your Vacation!

2013-04-18 7:26 PM
in reply to: #4706246

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

thor67 - 2013-04-18 5:06 PM Well I may be gimped up but I have signed up to take my first level of Triathlon coaching. All weekend long...should be interesting.

That sounds real cool...let us know how it goes.  Free tips would be cool...just sayin Laughing

2013-04-18 7:30 PM
in reply to: #4706274

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
justinfss - 2013-04-18 5:22 PM
bobddsmd - 2013-04-16 11:25 AM

got a quick row in, short run, a few pull ups and pushups. Still in recovery mode before crossfit. Total workout time was 20min.

Wearing my race shirt today at the office (and half of my staff).

Alex, I think it is important to use and not use a heart rate monitor. Mine malfunctioned during my race and I was not too concerned about that because I was used to going by effort.  I think it is helpful for you to know by feel what your heart rate is roughly. That will come with practice. There is a lot of info out there about heart rate training zones. I am no expert on that.

How are you liking crossfit Bobby, I just started back and got two classes in this week, kicked my in a good way and got a Deadlift PR (225#) Never have done much lifting so I was pretty pumped but my buddy who is 100 lbs lighter than me and a member of the fairer sex showed me up by doing 230#!!!

Great Fun!

OK I'll bite...don't know why i never asked before...what the heck is crossfit?  I think I saw something like it's strength training.  I bet it would be a ton more fun than sitting on those silly machines over and over...I don't get much core work from them and could use more since I'm run/bike challenged at the moment.  Is it a class I would need to find or can I follow some plan when I go to the gym on my own?  If I can do that for my strength training days it would be so much more fun I think.

FYI you all better stay outta my races next year cause I'm gonna be a fast little monkey at this rate, HAHA

Edited by Burd 2013-04-18 7:34 PM

2013-04-19 6:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

I have never done it but two of my good friends do it. I harassed both of them for 2 years telling them it was bad for them because of injury risk. They did not get injured and not they could throw me up into a tree.

It is high intensity interval training with weights, squats, sprints, pull ups, etc... Shorter workouts with higher intensity. The thought is that it gives you a lot of functional strength. I need glute and core strength to move forward if I want to even think about IM distance. So, I am getting ready to bite the bullet.

I am still having some IT challenges in one leg and hamstring challenges in the other on a 3 mile run last night. Uggg. Nothing bad pain wise but just a drag. Need more p90x stretch.

2013-04-19 12:35 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

Hey Alex,

Crossfit is a class, youtube it and you will get tonnes of videos. I find it super fun and motivating because as Bobby said, it is in a class format and you are going against a clock, but you dont want to wimp out because all your classmates are doing the same workouts.

It focuses on Olympic lifting, which I don't have much experience with, but my 'Box' ( what a crossfit gym is called) has a class called on-ramp, which is for beginners, and which I highly recommend. It taught us the basics and proper lifting technique.

I googled Crossfit in Cape Coral and got this:

http://www.crossfitsalvation.com/

Check it out!

2013-04-20 10:59 AM
in reply to: #4707187

User image

Veteran
Illinois

This week has been really rough for no good reason.  I didn't hit any of my marks, and I am disappointed generally with my performance.  

T-Minus 35 days to my first tri, and really less than that since I will spend the week before the race moving to the new house and traveling, so four weeks of training to go.

2013-04-21 8:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL

Well the day has come.  It finally happened...198.5 pounds from 252.  I finally broke the 200 mark and damn it feels great.  I still have a long way to go but it's happening.  

Training will be light for the next 3ish weeks so I can really give my leg a chance to heal right.  Gonna swim 4x a week and stay off the legs.  That should do the trick I think.  I will be seeing the doctor about the swelling 2nd week of May so I'll just swim until then to fix the IT issues as well.  No big deal I will just be that much better off by waiting.  My race isn't until July anyways.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

2013-04-21 9:02 AM
in reply to: #4708762

User image

Connecticut
Burd - 2013-04-21 9:56 AM

Well the day has come.  It finally happened...198.5 pounds from 252.  I finally broke the 200 mark and damn it feels great.  I still have a long way to go but it's happening.  

Training will be light for the next 3ish weeks so I can really give my leg a chance to heal right.  Gonna swim 4x a week and stay off the legs.  That should do the trick I think.  I will be seeing the doctor about the swelling 2nd week of May so I'll just swim until then to fix the IT issues as well.  No big deal I will just be that much better off by waiting.  My race isn't until July anyways.

Nice job on the weight loss.

2013-04-21 9:09 AM

User image

Connecticut
Been a rough week for training. Feel terrible heading to the gym when the baby could come at any moment. And of course we are trying to find a new car so its been a lot of test driving. T-minus 8 days till the due date. Going to try run while I walk the dog in the mornings so I can be close by. Got out this morning on the bike. Road to pick up breakfast while the wife slept in. Felt great but holy crap was it cold. Knee feels ok bit sore but a little ice and alieve will help that.
2013-04-21 11:11 AM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Burd - 2013-04-21 7:56 AM

Great Job Alex!!!  Congrats on the weight loss!

2013-04-21 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico

Had a great bike ride this afternoon did a little over 25 miles.  At one point I was watching for these dogs that like to come out and chase me.  Right before I got to the area where these dogs usually are, a huge turkey busted out of the bar ditch along side the road and scared the crap out of me LOL!  It was pretty humorous!  

You know I find it amazing that in November when I started riding I was having trouble doing 6-7 miles and I considered 10 miles a long ride.  Now my short rides are 10-15 miles.  It is great to look back and see how far I have come and I know a big portion of that is the support I have received from this group.  Thank you all for the support and encouragement along the way!  

2013-04-21 5:26 PM
in reply to: #4709022

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
jlangene - 2013-04-21 4:26 PM

Had a great bike ride this afternoon did a little over 25 miles.  At one point I was watching for these dogs that like to come out and chase me.  Right before I got to the area where these dogs usually are, a huge turkey busted out of the bar ditch along side the road and scared the crap out of me LOL!  It was pretty humorous!  

You know I find it amazing that in November when I started riding I was having trouble doing 6-7 miles and I considered 10 miles a long ride.  Now my short rides are 10-15 miles.  It is great to look back and see how far I have come and I know a big portion of that is the support I have received from this group.  Thank you all for the support and encouragement along the way!  

That must be a great feeling.  Hold that head high it's a huge step forward.

2013-04-21 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4709022

User image

Expert
jlangene - 2013-04-21 3:26 PM

That is a beautiful epiphany and proves how far you have come!  When you can look back to the beginning and compare it to where you are now - it just shows the changes you have made not only to your physical self but to your entire life!  Not only should you be proud of the change - but you should also give yourself props for all the hard work you put in to make that change a reality.  Sure - plenty of people have helped you get to this point - but the only person who can really make it happen is you!

Keep it up - just think where you will be at years end!  

2013-04-21 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

Congrats to Jared and Alex on the solid work!!!!!

It is amazing how far we have all come. Actually, it is not really that amazing. We you consistently do something with effort and dedication, it will happen. Make proper food choices, you can lose weight. Put time in on the bike and you can go farther, faster, easier. Consistent diet, consistent training, consistent life. It does not always happen this way, but a lot of the time we get to where we are by the choices we make.

Okay, I will stop.

Spent 30 hours at the farm cutting down thorny invasive brush. Not fun. Lots of squats and pokes. No turkeys. I did get cornered by a herd of cattle though. It was actually the first time this has happened. They usually like to get away from me. I don't have much experience with cattle, so I hoped a fence to safety and my poor black lab ran about 1/4 of a mile as she was being chased by one. Not a bull, either. Crazy times. Funny when I think of it now but kinda scared me a bit.

2013-04-21 8:21 PM

User image

Expert
Burd - 2013-04-21 8:56 AM

Hot diggity-dog!  Welcome to One-derland!  I knew you would make it!  

Can I make a suggestion about the knee... I think that spending more time in the pool is a good plan - but I think it makes sense to be more proactive about resolving some of the issues that have led to trouble with your ITB.  While running or biking doesn't make any sense - continuing to stretch like it's your job and spending quality time with your foam roller to alleviate tightness in your ITB and the surrounding tendon/muscles will not only allieviate some of your discomfort but will set you up for success when you finally do get the green light from the doc.

My two suggestion about the foam roller - 1) avoid rolling near the knee - instead focus on rolling from the hip to mid-leg and 2) continue to increase the amount of time spent using it each day.

2013-04-21 8:25 PM

User image

Veteran
New Mexico
Got a 5k in this evening with our running/walking group.  Only two of us jogging today and 4 walkers.  Did a pretty slow pace (12min/mile) was pretty worn out from the bike earlier in the day.  Now ready to have some dinner and lay down and find a book to read!  Have a good week everyone!  
2013-04-21 8:37 PM

User image

Expert

Goals for the Week:

As you create your goals for this week - please come up with 1 all goal that will allow you to recharge your batteries or inspire you to continue... While many of us had weeks that rocked because we reached a personal mile stone, others had difficult weeks.  So, what could you do next week to keep yourself going.  Perhaps your additional goal could be to reach a certain milestone or maybe your goal should be to give back to support someone else or to sign up for an upcoming race.

Beer Drinker Appreciation Society 

kevinbe

Kevin 
 thor67 Thor 
 SportzVision Cynthia 
 Wiff Kim 
 jlangeneJared  
mirthfuldragon Charles  
Burd Alex  
Yakhead  Ian 
 bobddsmd  Bobby 
 Cassady Doug 
 lp3510 Lenny 
 justinfss Justin 
 firefighter Taj 
 snarky Elizabeth 
mcmanusclan5Matt  
DBrew99 Dan 
BigDH Darren/DH 
  Qua17 David or DQ
  •  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Closed Rss Feed  

of 97