BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2013-01-01 11:17 PM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

Central New Jersey
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Open for Training
Hello I'm intereted in joining your group. Ken from NJ. I am 46 y/o. I have completed two tri seasons. Started training at 235 lbs and was as low as 180 at the end of last season. Trained into October this season then hurt my calf and slacked off so now I am back to 200 (5' 10"). Calf is healed and started free running again 2 weeks ago but ready for structured training and motivational friends on line here. 2012 - RUTGERS half, a few olys and a few sprints through September with AC oly closing my season. 2013 - no races planned yet but expect 1 sprint in May, then oly soon after if that goes well. I try to do 1 -2 races a month. Want to tackle HIM this season, possibly in August if my wife is cool with that schedule. Goal is to lose the 20 lbs, get back on my healthy eating regimin and finish the HIM. Family -happily married since 1990 with 4 children, two in college, one HS and one in grade school. In it for fun and weightloss but still competing against myself.

2013-01-02 7:03 AM
in reply to: #4556917

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Brett's - 2013-01-01 8:09 PM How was the polar plunge Robin? More power to ya for it!

The plunge was refreshing and cathartic and... well... Freezing!It is a great way to make the old year go away.

2013-01-02 7:17 AM
in reply to: #4557188

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

bluesigo - 2013-01-01 11:17 PM Hello I'm intereted in joining your group. Ken from NJ. I am 46 y/o. I have completed two tri seasons. Started training at 235 lbs and was as low as 180 at the end of last season. Trained into October this season then hurt my calf and slacked off so now I am back to 200 (5' 10"). Calf is healed and started free running again 2 weeks ago but ready for structured training and motivational friends on line here. 2012 - RUTGERS half, a few olys and a few sprints through September with AC oly closing my season. 2013 - no races planned yet but expect 1 sprint in May, then oly soon after if that goes well. I try to do 1 -2 races a month. Want to tackle HIM this season, possibly in August if my wife is cool with that schedule. Goal is to lose the 20 lbs, get back on my healthy eating regimin and finish the HIM. Family -happily married since 1990 with 4 children, two in college, one HS and one in grade school. In it for fun and weightloss but still competing against myself.

Ken - Welcome!!

2013-01-02 7:41 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed for Training

Hey all
Started off 2013 with a run with the family.  We all did various distances and took a few our dogs with us.  I started off with Moose, our great dane/black lab pup, for a mile then took another dog for the rest of the distance.  New Sprint plan starts today.  I am using the BT gold plan along with Chris Carmichaels Time-Crunched Triathlete to push quality over quantity.

I really like to get my 2013 plan scheduled but none of the races I typically do are up yet.  Of course the one race that I planned not to do is NOLA 70.3 and its advertising all over the place.

Robin - Very cool on the plunge!

Will have to post a pic of my ride who went thru a name change mid last year.

2013-01-02 10:05 AM
in reply to: #4557405

User image

Champion
Bronze member
GaryRM - 2013-01-02 8:41 AM

Hey all
Started off 2013 with a run with the family.  We all did various distances and took a few our dogs with us.  I started off with Moose, our great dane/black lab pup, for a mile then took another dog for the rest of the distance.  New Sprint plan starts today.  I am using the BT gold plan along with Chris Carmichaels Time-Crunched Triathlete to push quality over quantity.

I really like to get my 2013 plan scheduled but none of the races I typically do are up yet.  Of course the one race that I planned not to do is NOLA 70.3 and its advertising all over the place.

Robin - Very cool on the plunge!

Will have to post a pic of my ride who went thru a name change mid last year.

This sounds like there is a story there. My bike has a silly name, but it is appropriate. When I was first starting running/ biking for triathlon a few years ago, I was told to "Buck up Buttercup" and just do it. I was in the process of purchasing a road bike. The one I chose is yellow and white. It's name became Buttercup. I detest riding on the road. Well, I love the road, I hate traffic. So, I have to Buck up on Buttercup a lot! .

2013-01-02 10:25 AM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario

Hi guys,

Is it appropriate to start asking for advice already?

If so, here's my first (of many on the way) question:  I'm not just starting this fitness journey, I'm re-starting my nutrition regimen.  I only have 1 coffee a day and after oceans of green tea, it gets boring.  Do you have any ideas for nutritious hot drinks to sip on while at my desk?

2013-01-02 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4557769

User image

Veteran
Sparta
Panther - 2013-01-02 11:25 AM

Hi guys,

If so, here's my first (of many on the way) question:  I'm not just starting this fitness journey, I'm re-starting my nutrition regimen.  I only have 1 coffee a day and after oceans of green tea, it gets boring.  Do you have any ideas for nutritious hot drinks to sip on while at my desk?

It may not be for everyone, but I fill my coffee cup with hot water in the afternoons. It took a couple of weeks to get used to, but now I rather enjoy it. We have a "hot water" tap at work so it is a little like tea without the tea!

2013-01-02 4:12 PM
in reply to: #4557769

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Panther - 2013-01-02 10:25 AM

Hi guys,

TBH I am Diet Pepsi person.  I am a bit sensitive to caffiene and one regular cup sends me into outer space.  Three cups has me losing my lunch.  I would suggest just looking at different flavors of tea being careful to not hit some of those teas with lots of caffiene.  An alternative is a cup of soup.  More calories but flavorful and will hit the spot.

2013-01-02 8:02 PM

User image

NAME

kfree1966 - Kevin

STORY

I am 46 and come from a running background. Played various sports all through my youth. Stopped through college. Dabbled for a bunch of years and finally got serious at 40. Complete 3 NY Marathon with a PR of 3:48. Do well on the Half Marathons (PR 1:37), just can't get it to convert. A die hard runner but realized I have to let running go a bit and embrace the multi-sport. It is hard to do but this year going to commit to it. Last year I did two Tri's in the spring. They were interesting but I was not committed like this year. Training in the winter is tough as this is family time. Family time is skiing in Vermont. 

FAMILY 

Married 20 years with 10 and 7 year old girls. 

CURRENT TRAINING

Running 3 times a week (18-20 miles). On the bike (indoor rollers) 2 days a week. Lifting once or twice a week. Ski Saturday and Sunday. Every so often blow off Sunday ski for cross country skiing. Once Skiing done, will go to a 4 Run, 3 Bike and 3 Swim week.

RACES for 2013

Committed to two Tri's planned. Jerseyman Sprint in May and Quassy Olympic in June.Possible Syracuse 70.3 in late June

Have to run 9 NYRR Races for NYC 2014 Qualification. This will be the last of the 5 NY's I want to complete. Will be using the races as speed work 

WEIGHTLOSS

Currently 161. If I can get to 155 great. 

2013-01-02 8:24 PM
in reply to: #4552918

User image

Statesville , North Carolina
Bamagrad04 are you still in Birmingham? If so maybe we can meet up and train some. I have friends that bike and my parents run but no one to train for tri's with. Would be great to have a partner.

Edited by Brett's 2013-01-02 8:26 PM
2013-01-02 9:48 PM

User image

Keller

----What's up with wanting HOT drinks?  Is it a diet thing, or an environment thing?

-----Every once and a while - I have a great swim; today was that day with a broken up 1850 yards.  I am working on building my base back up, and I still have a lot bricks to lay for that base to get where it needs to be. 

-----I did FINALLY get my head to turn with my hips on both sides, instead of turning with my shoulders. This seems like a small thing, but that small thing shaved 5 seconds off my lap time.  Now if I can just repeat it next time.

----------Short slow run tonight.  My calves are still blown up, which is a little frustrating.

Welcome to the group KFree.

2013-01-03 2:20 PM

User image

Thanks. 

My rollers just came in. So they are the first challenge of the year. Managed a who 15 seconds without a hand on the doorway. Small steps but forward ones. 

2013-01-03 7:50 PM
in reply to: #4560401

User image

Statesville , North Carolina
It's a new year and time for questions! I have to know, is there any advantages to shaving your legs? I have read that it is less friction and all this other stuff. I see the pros shaven, but does that mean there are advantages? And the other thing is can I get some opinions on the best mid race fuel? Whether it be bars or gels or liquid fuel? I know most of the answers will be preferences but I just need a starting point. On another note, I did get a chance to ride today. Still a few adjustments on the new bike but all in all comfortable. Got to ride about 4 miles as that was all I was able to do on my lunch break. Better than nothing I guess.
2013-01-03 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4561031

User image

Master
St. Louis
Brett's - 2013-01-03 7:50 PMIt's a new year and time for questions! I have to know, is there any advantages to shaving your legs? I have read that it is less friction and all this other stuff. I see the pros shaven, but does that mean there are advantages? And the other thing is can I get some opinions on the best mid race fuel? Whether it be bars or gels or liquid fuel? I know most of the answers will be preferences but I just need a starting point. On another note, I did get a chance to ride today. Still a few adjustments on the new bike but all in all comfortable. Got to ride about 4 miles as that was all I was able to do on my lunch break. Better than nothing I guess.
I've been told there are studies that shaving your legs doesn't make you faster but never looked them up. I shaved mine for the first time this summer. After a couple 50+ mile rides and road grime stuck in all my leg hair I thought I would give it a try. The first shave took three 20 minute sessions in the shower which was a pain but after that it just took a couple minutes every couple days. I liked the way they felt but they looked a little weird to me. It dud make clean up after long rides much easier and they didn't collect nearly as much grime. I shaved all the way up to the bikini line and that was a mistake. I wear mid thigh length tight underwear and from the bikini line to the bottom of the underwear became irritated so I stopped shaving there.Mid race fuel is subjective and depends on distance, at least for me. You really need to experiment for yourself, I still haven't found the right formula for half ironman for me. For sprints, I find a good breakfast plus water during the race is all I need though I sometimes take a GU right before the race. For Olympic distance, good breakfast, GU before the race and one or two GU's on the bike, though I've done one with nothing but was close to bonking at the end and felt terrible for a couple hours afterward. For half Ironman I can post some links to my blog posts on what one should take in and how badly I felt when I didn't do that if you are interested.
2013-01-03 9:59 PM
in reply to: #4561031

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Brett's - 2013-01-03 7:50 PM It's a new year and time for questions! I have to know, is there any advantages to shaving your legs? I have read that it is less friction and all this other stuff. I see the pros shaven, but does that mean there are advantages? And the other thing is can I get some opinions on the best mid race fuel? Whether it be bars or gels or liquid fuel? I know most of the answers will be preferences but I just need a starting point. On another note, I did get a chance to ride today. Still a few adjustments on the new bike but all in all comfortable. Got to ride about 4 miles as that was all I was able to do on my lunch break. Better than nothing I guess.

There have been a few threads on BT and ST about this.  Some claim that it makes it easier to clean up if you get road rash from a crash.  I don't think there is any real savings for swimming by doing it.  I did it for awhile on my calfs and liked the feel but DW didn't like it and gave it up.  IMHO its a personal thing with possibly some side benefits.

2nd night in a row with DS having a night soccer game.  PIcked up a portable propane heater as its been in the 30-40's for the game.  Missed my run tonight and will run tomorrow morning.  Still have some stuff for work to do and will be back tomorrow.

2013-01-04 6:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Sparta

Welcome to all the newbees!

Got back in the pool this morning for an exhausting 30 minutes and 900 yards, had to take a lot of 30 second rests. Last swim was September 13 and I felt every stroke.

I have no experieince with shaving and longest event is a sprint where I eat a banana or goo on the bike and a little water on the run. Happy New Year everyone. Still no name for my 2-wheel friend, but am thinking about it.

2013-01-04 1:53 PM

User image

Central New Jersey

Hi, I have a question about spending money for a professional bike fitting. Two years ago I purchased a used TREK 5000 (I think it's approx. 2001 model) in just okay shape for $700. I used it for sprints my first season and sprints/OLYs last season. I'd say that I generally feel okay on the bike during races but I'm not fast (at any discipline for that matter) and I'm wondering if I should get a fitting to at least make sure I've eliminated that variable. 

I am aware that the engine is my main concern and it really comes down to training, genetics and nutrition but I have read so much about fit I am concerned about ignoring that since I want to tackle a HIM in Sept. 2013.

Then there's the cost which I could just put towards a new ride (need to convince wife!) which should come with a professional fitting.

Thanks in advance! Ken

?

(Ken Trek 5000.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Ken Trek 5000.jpg (40KB - 10 downloads)
2013-01-04 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4562416

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
bluesigo - 2013-01-04 1:53 PM

Hi, I have a question about spending money for a professional bike fitting. Two years ago I purchased a used TREK 5000 (I think it's approx. 2001 model) in just okay shape for $700. I used it for sprints my first season and sprints/OLYs last season. I'd say that I generally feel okay on the bike during races but I'm not fast (at any discipline for that matter) and I'm wondering if I should get a fitting to at least make sure I've eliminated that variable. 

I am aware that the engine is my main concern and it really comes down to training, genetics and nutrition but I have read so much about fit I am concerned about ignoring that since I want to tackle a HIM in Sept. 2013.

Then there's the cost which I could just put towards a new ride (need to convince wife!) which should come with a professional fitting.

Thanks in advance! Ken

?

TBH, both times I have gotten bike fits I thought I had it pretty dialed in before the fitting.  I am a big believer in getting fit.  Shop around, while the cheapest may not be the best its a good start.  I think I spent less than $100 on my last fitting (I did get a discount being part of the local Tri club).

2013-01-04 2:30 PM

User image

Keller
Ken, If you have never been fitted at all, than this something that I would really suggest you do. Best spent $100 ever! If you have been fitted before, than it boils down to your preference; or if you have had major gains in core stability or overall fitness since your last fitness.
2013-01-04 4:09 PM
in reply to: #4562487

User image

Champion
Bronze member

stratigos - 2013-01-04 3:30 PM Ken, If you have never been fitted at all, than this something that I would really suggest you do. Best spent $100 ever! If you have been fitted before, than it boils down to your preference; or if you have had major gains in core stability or overall fitness since your last fitness.

I just had y first bike fitting ever. It made an amazing amount of difference to my overall comfort. We still need to see how it may affect my speed.

2013-01-04 9:10 PM

User image

Hi Gary,

NAME - kartracerguy - David Guy

STORY

I am 50 year old male and live in Saltillo, Ms. A small town in Northeast Mississippi. I am 5'10" and 170+/-. I started a better diet and exercise program last April and lost about 35 pounds. I started walking 2 miles a day and then 2 miles twice a day. My goal was to run a 5K in my daughters honor at the Down Syndrome Buddy Run/Walk. I ended the year with 4 races with fairly respectable times. I have always like bikes so I thought my next step was to try a Sprint Triathlon.  I like the short distance since I can already do a 5K. I grew up on at the Tennessee River so swimming in deep open water is not an issue so all three things are coming together in my mind. I have just joined my company wellness center since they have a pool, weights, bikes, and treadmills. I am working on getting the paid membership setup so that I can create and post my training plans and progress. 

FAMILY 

Married 26 years with two sons (23yo and 14yo) as well as a daughter that is 18yo. 

CURRENT TRAINING

Generally walking 2 miles each day, somethings running an additional 2 miles in the afternoons. I run more when I get closer to a scheduled race. I am starting a 16 week weight, running, biking, and swimming program for my first Sprint Triathlon.

RACES for 2013

I have already entered the Memphis in May Sprint Triathlon and plan to do a Sprint in Nashville sometime in September.

I would like to use these as springboards to doing a Olympic distance afterwards.

WEIGHT

Currently 170 +/- but I would like to be 165 or wherever my body wants to stabilize at.

Edited by Kartracerguy 2013-01-04 9:25 PM

2013-01-04 11:19 PM
in reply to: #4558992

New user

Birmingham, Al
Brett's - 2013-01-02 8:24 PMBamagrad04 are you still in Birmingham? If so maybe we can meet up and train some. I have friends that bike and my parents run but no one to train for tri's with. Would be great to have a partner.
I am. Send me a pm if u Don't mind
2013-01-04 11:30 PM
in reply to: #4563082

New user

Birmingham, Al
Training for the week:Wednesday -6mile bike on spin bike and 30 min weight training Thursday - 1100 yard swimFriday : 2 mile runSat/sun: who knows??
2013-01-05 7:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Hey all ... busy week for me.  Did a brick session on Tuesday at the gym with the wife and an hour & half endurance session on the spin cycle Thursday.  Plan to ride from the house today  30'ish miles somewhere.  The cycle club at my gym has really ratcheted up their efforts with training (both strength and endurance) and works hard at promoting the sport, which makes it easy for me to train

Brett ... first off - no shaved legs for me.  As big as I am this would have no benefit whatsoever .  On your nutrition question, I usually grab a goo when exiting transition from the bike to run leg.  All my races have been sprint distance, so don't have experience with longer races.

Welcome Kartracer (David) ... you'll find a lot of encouragement, experience and fun from the group.

Ken ... one link you might try before chunking down the cash is  competitivecyclist.com.  These had a free fit calculator on the site, which to me validated that I at least had the correct frame size.  Moving on from there, I'd definitely do the bike fit session to help fine tune your seat position, stem height and length, pedal arm lgth, etc.  Even after a year, I still have seat position issues with my road bike wherein slight adjustment (1/8" here or there) makes a world of difference .  The better fit comes  into play especially with the longer rides, wherein you get rid of the small hot spot that starts to really burn or ache after 15-20 miles. 

Edited by Dorm57 2013-01-05 8:35 AM
2013-01-05 9:33 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

kartracerguy - David - Welcome!!!

My workout schedule keeps getting shifted due to the kids being on holiday break but still managed 3.8 mile run and a 35 min trainer ride yesterday.  Today is supposed to be a 25+ mile ride and hopefully I will get that in.  Didn't make it to the pool this week and until the kids go back to school that will be difficult.  That said I thought my first Tri was late March and it looks like it will actually be early April.

My work with the Louisiana Skeeter run is keeping busy trying to get everything ready.  Seems I am perpetually behind but it should all work out.

Take care all!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115